THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Free Agents- Will they deal them?

Browns57

NFL Trade Rumors: What's Next for the Cleveland Browns?

by Brian DiTullio Written on April 12, 2010

Rick Stewart/Getty Images With the deadline for signing restricted free agents coming this Thursday, the Cleveland Browns still have five players hanging out there.

The five players—Abram Elam, D’Qwell Jackson, Matt Roth, Jerome Harrison, and Lawrence Vickers—still have not signed their free agent tenders.

All players were offered second-round tenders, meaning if another team tries to sign them before the April 15 deadline, they must compensate the Browns with a second-round pick. Of the players on the list, Jackson has expressed the most anger and frustration with his contract situation. Just prior to Jackson receiving his second-round tender, he let it be known he thought he was worth a much higher contract. Should Jackson, or any of the other players, not sign their tenders by the deadline, their rights revert back to Cleveland and the process of working out a new deal pretty much starts over.

Looking over what team president Mike Holmgren has said, done, and who the team has taken closer looks at, it can be inferred that the Browns really do want another second-round pick, even if that means one of these players has to go. Given Jackson hasn’t found a taker for his services elsewhere in the league at the second-round tender level, this puts the Browns front office in a very good negotiating position should Jackson decide to stay. But it also gives the Browns a trade opportunity by allowing them to package another player, or a draft pick, with Jackson to get back into the second round.

There has been a lot of speculation the Browns will try and trade back up into the second round in order to grab a quarterback. With the amount of draft picks the Browns have, plus the willingness to overturn the roster, this isn’t a far-fetched theory.

Elam is just about the only player in the Browns defensive secondary the team wants to see return, so it’s doubtful he’ll be offered in a package, but don’t count it out either.

Harrison and Vickers performed relatively well in the backfield last season, and Harrison broke out with Pro Bowl-caliber performances the last four games of the season. It’s safe to say Holmgren and GM Tom Heckert probably want to keep those guys as well.

That leaves Roth, who was acquired via waivers from the Dolphins last year and performed well on the defensive line. Mangini should want this guy back, but in the eyes of the new front office, Roth, like Kamerion Wimbley before him, could just end up being trade bait for the future.

And the offseason drama continues . . .

Elam is just about the only player in the Browns defensive secondary the team wants to see return, so it’s doubtful he’ll be offered in a package, but don’t count it out either.

If we draft Berry or Haden in the first, then trade Wright for maybe a 2nd and 3rd then we could move back into 1st with a 2nd, 3rd, 5th or whatever and get S or CB depending what we get in the 1st. Then with the other 2nd draft McCoy

Looking at our roster and who we have looked at in the draft I would say Jackson and Harrison are the likely trades. We currently have 4 RBs on the roster one being Jennings who was resigned rather then let go which implies some faith in his ability (which I have). The other you asked for in a trade. Now, reports are out that the Browns like Dwyer. Why would you even look at a 5th RB? Because one will be off the roster. And Harrison and coach don't get along very well.

And Jackson because we have acquired Gocong (who I love), Fujita (who I like). So now we have Maiva, Veikune, Roth, Trusnick, Fujita, Gocong, and Bernard. 7 LBs isn't enough in a 3-4 but you can add 1 or 2 before the season starts. That makes Jackson expendable.

Plus, he has expressed his dissapointment in not getting a long term deal. He won't sign the tender, and we can't deal with a holdout situation.

I think Vickers will stay as he is like having a pulling gaurd in there on every play. The guy loves to block and is really good at it. Hillis is a different type of guy and I can't see how Hillis being here effects Vickers. And Elam because he is a Mangini guy and I really think he is a solid safety and still very young.

Looking at our roster and who we have looked at in the draft I would say Jackson and Harrison are the likely trades. We currently have 4 RBs on the roster one being Jennings who was resigned rather then let go which implies some faith in his ability (which I have). The other you asked for in a trade. Now, reports are out that the Browns like Dwyer. Why would you even look at a 5th RB? Because one will be off the roster. And Harrison and coach don't get along very well.

And Jackson because we have acquired Gocong (who I love), Fujita (who I like). So now we have Maiva, Veikune, Roth, Trusnick, Fujita, Gocong, and Bernard. 7 LBs isn't enough in a 3-4 but you can add 1 or 2 before the season starts. That makes Jackson expendable.

Plus, he has expressed his dissapointment in not getting a long term deal. He won't sign the tender, and we can't deal with a holdout situation.

Im not so sure Jackson is as expendable as you make him out to be.. just because we have 7 LBs doesnt make us deep. Maiva is undersized and hasnt wowed anyone, Veikune looks to be another second round bust (yes he was a rookie but couldnt even crack our crappy defense's rotation even with injuries), Trusnick is more of a special teams player or backup, Gocong hasnt really shown much in his career, and Bernard was decent for 3 games last year. Im not a huge fan of Jackson and if we can get a second for him then see ya later, but this is a guy who in 6 games last year had 59 tackles, and 154 tackles in 2008. I wouldnt just give him away and I dont think he's that expendable..

All 216 of those tackles were 5 yards or more past the line of scrimage.

The fact is, we lost no production without him. Our young guys that you consider unproven stepped in adequately. Jackson is undersized just like maiva....to me, the cheaper guy that can get the job done is fine...

We won without him once, and will continue to do so.

Im not so sure Jackson is as expendable as you make him out to be.. just because we have 7 LBs doesnt make us deep. Maiva is undersized and hasnt wowed anyone, Veikune looks to be another second round bust (yes he was a rookie but couldnt even crack our crappy defense's rotation even with injuries), Trusnick is more of a special teams player or backup, Gocong hasnt really shown much in his career, and Bernard was decent for 3 games last year. Im not a huge fan of Jackson and if we can get a second for him then see ya later, but this is a guy who in 6 games last year had 59 tackles, and 154 tackles in 2008. I wouldnt just give him away and I dont think he's that expendable..

I guess I can see that. But Jackson is a little undersized too and his tackls rarely make an impact or are too far down the line. But we are in agreement that if we can get something for him, we should. I would even take a 3rd rounder.

All 216 of those tackles were 5 yards or more past the line of scrimage.

The fact is, we lost no production without him. Our young guys that you consider unproven stepped in adequately. Jackson is undersized just like maiva....to me, the cheaper guy that can get the job done is fine...

We won without him once, and will continue to do so.

Yea you are definitely right that Jacksons tackles are downfield and he isnt really an impact player, im just not excited about the alternatives. We dont know much about Gocong (although Heckert mustve seen something he liked which is encouraging), Maiva, Veikune, Trusnik.. Barton is old and coming off an injury. I like Fujita, Roth, and what little ive seen of Bernard, but in a 3-4 the LBs are supposed to make the majority of the tackles and stops.. I guess im just not that optimistic about our LB core in general... Id love to pick up another pass rusher in the 3rd, move someone to ILB (ie Fujita, Gocong, alongside Barton), thus making Jackson expendable. I just see a lot of OK/adequate players at linebacker, but i guess that sums up our defense right now..

Would love to focus on defense in this draft (w/ the exception of maybe a qb like McCoy, and another lineman), Im sick looking like a bunch of pansies that dont attack the ball and look incompetent..

Ravens release Samari Rolle

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 13, 2010 2:40 PM ET

Cornerback Samari Rolle hasn't announced his long-expected retirement from football yet, but he's no longer a member of the Ravens.

Baltimore terminated Rolle's contract Tuesday in what may amount to an accounting move.

Rolle missed all of last season with a neck injury. He had a successful four-year run in Baltimore before that after playing seven seasons in Tennessee, including a first-team All-Pro appearance in 2000.

If we draft Berry or Haden in the first, then trade Wright for maybe a 2nd and 3rd then we could move back into 1st with a 2nd, 3rd, 5th or whatever and get S or CB depending what we get in the 1st. Then with the other 2nd draft McCoy

Why in the world would be trade Wright? We need a 2nd Corner to play opposite him. Not a rookie corner with nobody half-way decent to help him out.

Why in the world would be trade Wright? We need a 2nd Corner to play opposite him. Not a rookie corner with nobody half-way decent to help him out.

Because if we draft Berry or Haden in the first have Sheldon Brown as the #1 CB then draft a young CB/S by moving back into the 1st or just using a 2nd. Then you'll have an extra 2nd and 3rd rounder were you could then draft McCoy and still have 4 3rd rounders where you could then address o-line, d-line, more depth at CB,S,LB.

Opens up your options more, just a thought

Lets not fall in love with drafts picks here, Eazy-E is pretty good, it will be good for him to actually have a good corner oppisite him.

Im expecting the browns to trade back in the first and get Odrick or Thomas and pick up a pick

Because if we draft Berry or Haden in the first have Sheldon Brown as the #1 CB then draft a young CB/S by moving back into the 1st or just using a 2nd. Then you'll have an extra 2nd and 3rd rounder were you could then draft McCoy and still have 4 3rd rounders where you could then address o-line, d-line, more depth at CB,S,LB.

Opens up your options more, just a thought

Still, Brown is just a stop gap for 2 or 3 years. He's getting old and will probably only be a premier CB for a couple more years if that even.

Why get rid of our only other veteran (decent) CB, so that we can draft two rookies who have yet to prove anything?

Not a good move.

I dont want to get rid of him I was just throwing it out there because in the OP it said "Elam is just about the only player in the Browns defensive secondary the team wants to see return" Maybe they dont think he's physical enough and he's not in there future plans, so you bring in a physical guy like Brown draft a rookie to learn beside him and when Browns gone you do the same thing with the next guy

Other than roth and perhaps vickers all the others are expendable as for ebram i dont think he was very talented to begin with but with age he has become mediocre at best it scares me that mangini wants him to return..granted the guy is tuff as nails but just isnt the calibur of safety this club needs...

I believe Jackson IS expendable for one very simple reason: He really has not been all that good, at least not as good as we think he should be, and not nearly as good as he thinks he is. He is an eminently replaceable commodity.

I believe Jackson IS expendable for one very simple reason: He really has not been all that good, at least not as good as we think he should be, and not nearly as good as he thinks he is. He is an eminently replaceable commodity.

He is replaceable, I agree. But why replace him and use draft picks to fill his spot?? IMO we have wayyy to many holes to let ILB become another one. If he wont sign for a reasonable contract then thats a problem because i agree he is not worth the big money. but if we do keep his right and/or sign him to a reasonable contract, thats one less position for the Browns to worry about.

It is interesting to see comments like this becoming more common here. I've felt for a while that he was nothing more than a solid tackler and very overrated, but many, especially the local media, seemed to think of him as an important cog and underrated.

Why the shift in opinion now (not necessarily you, Gipper - don't know if you fall into the camp of a recent convert or a long time "hater")? Is it the fact that our D actually got better when he was replaced with a bunch of no-names? Or has it come to the point where there is no more hope for improvement?

He is replaceable, I agree. But why replace him and use draft picks to fill his spot?? IMO we have wayyy to many holes to let ILB become another one. If he wont sign for a reasonable contract then thats a problem because i agree he is not worth the big money. but if we do keep his right and/or sign him to a reasonable contract, thats one less position for the Browns to worry about.

You don't think the guys in place now are able to replace his production? The D did just fine with Trusnik, Maiava, Bowens, etc. taking his snaps. Add in Cocong and Veikune (1 year of learning to transition from DE to ILB), and that makes me pretty confident that the Browns can find someone capable of providing poor zone coverage over the middle and making tackles on RBs after five yard gains.

I am all for letting him walk and using our already on-hand depth to replace him. Getting a pick would be gravy.

You don't think the guys in place now are able to replace his production? The D did just fine with Trusnik, Maiava, Bowens, etc. taking his snaps. Add in Cocong and Veikune (1 year of learning to transition from DE to ILB), and that makes me pretty confident that the Browns can find someone capable of providing poor zone coverage over the middle and making tackles on RBs after five yard gains.

I am all for letting him walk and using our already on-hand depth to replace him. Getting a pick would be gravy.

Yea maybe you're right, i think of those LBs mentioned and think of special teams players and at most average linebackers. Maybe im wrong, but I think Jackson could start on some other teams, whereas none of those guys would ever crack a NFL starting lineup. If Jackson wants too much, let him walk or get a 3rd or 4th for him, but id rather sign him to a resonable contract because i think he is better than his backups..

I don't have a problem keeping him at all if that is what the Browns want to do. It is just a fact though that he ain't the second coming that he thinks he is, and for him to be upset about his contract situation is ludicrous.

Archived