THE BROWNS BOARD

McCoy Not The Answer

Browns57

Why Colt Mccoy Is Not The Answer For The Cleveland Browns

by J Gatskie Contributor Written on April 14, 2010

Jamie Squire/Getty Images

Colt Mccoy was a great college quarterback. He set a NCAA record with 45 wins and was the undisputed leader of the Texas Longhorns potent spread attack. More than once, he pulled a victory away from the grasp of defeat and he has been properly celebrated for his accomplishments on the field.

In his career he threw for 13,253 yards and 112 tds with only 45 interceptions. A very good athlete who ran the 110 meter hurdles in high school, he rushed for 1589 yards and 20 touchdowns during his time at Texas.

In the past year alone he has won the Maxwell, Davey O'Brien, Chic Harley, and Johnny Unitas Awards which go to the best: overall player, best senior quarterback, coaches player of the year, and best quarterback.

By any standard, that is quite an impressive collection of awards.

Despite his accomplishments at the collegiate level, he is not viewed as a sure thing for an NFL prospect. His stature (6'1" 220) and arm strength do not measure up to other elite prospects like Sam Bradford (6'4" 236) and Jimmy Clausen (6'3" 223).

Due to concerns about his size and arms strength, some mock drafts have lesser ranked talents like Jevan Snead (6'3" 220) and Tim Tebow (6'3" 235) moving ahead of Mccoy in the selection process.

The scouting report on Colt Mccoy reads in the positive: mobile, athletic, decisive, accurate, quick release, and good leader. The negatives are: physical frame size, weak arm strength, aims ball, no experience operating under center, and stares down receiver.

The Cleveland Browns have hired Mike Holmgren as their football Czar and he has retained Gil Haskell to teach offensive coordinator Brian Daboll the west coast offense. The Browns are in a cold weather city with an open stadium.

The west coast offense emphasizes a short, horizontal passing attack to help spread the defense out. By doing this, it opens the defense up to throws of longer than 14 yards and mid to long yard rushes in the middle of the field.

This type of offense differs from traditional run oriented offenses by having receivers run precise routes on up to 65% of the plays.The quarterback's function is primarily a three or five step drop and a quick, often blind strike to one of three to five targets.

The Browns are said to be working on a hybrid offense that fuses the smashmouth football we saw with Jerome Harrison at the end of the year, with the west coast Holmgren's Seahawks used to run. If that is indeed the case, then I am firmly against the selection of Colt Mccoy as our quarterback of the future.

The heights of the Browns offensive lineman are as follows: 6'6",6'6", 6'6", 6'4", and 6'4". Those are the starters: Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach, Tony Pashos, Alex Mack, and Floyd Womack respectively. According to several scouting reports, Mccoy does not jump to pass like Drew Brees does and he didn't always see over his lineman in college who were smaller than the aforementioned Browns.

Without that jump pass and at only 6'1", he would be at a definite disadvantage when it came to seeing and passing over his offensive line if he was a Cleveland Brown.

With the west coast requiring blind passes stuck in there with a lot of velocity, his lack of arm strength becomes an immediate issue. He has an average sized frame and I am not sure if he could take the pounding teams like the Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers deliver.

The west coast requires the quarterback to make three and five step drops and Mccoy operated solely out of a spread formation at Texas. It is pure conjecture as to how he would fare making the transition.

The Browns play their games in a stadium that borders a lake, is often windy and cold, and a quarterback needs significant arm strength to throw deep outs and sideline routes there. Many draft pundits have chastised the Bills for considering Jimmy Clausen based on his arm strength for the same weather based reason.

Mccoy allegedly has a weaker arm than Clausen.

This is a very important decision for the Cleveland Browns franchise and its fans. In a year or so, whoever is drafted is going to be handed the reins and asked to lead our beloved team back to national prominence.

I think Colt Mccoy is a wonderful college quarterback, a good human being who once saved a mans life from drowning, and may someday be a serviceable NFL starter.

However, I do not think he is the answer for the Cleveland Browns. He is too small, has never operated under center, and does not have enough arm strength for our system or city.

I thought this was a great article breaking down McCoy and how he might not be a fit for Cleveland. i am a fan of McCoy myself but after reading this article I am starting to think that there might be better options for the Browns at QB. I still am high on Tebow. I know many of you may not agree. But a proven winner with the grit and determination. A leader on the field. Those are things you just can't teach. A plyer just has to have it in them. The mechanics can be fixed.

Interesting, McShay was on the radio today saying that McCoy would be perfect for the Browns in the second round because he is a tough QB who fit perfectly into a Holmgren-style offense, which I understand Dabol is being instructed on.

Zombo

in the WCO you often have a moving pocket in which seeing over the taller linemen isn't a problem b/c the QB rolls out. Jeff Garcia is like 5'11" and he flourished in the WCO. If there's any offense that McCoy will excel in it will be the WCO.

great article. i agree he's not the answer. physically he's not going to grow any taller and i do have a question about him taking a hit in the nfl. i'm hoping we address the defense and OL with our first 2-3 picks and then think about skill positions. the 2 guys i think have the size and ability at qb and will be there in the 2nd to third rounds are robinson and pike. don't know about lefevour.

great article. i agree he's not the answer. physically he's not going to grow any taller and i do have a question about him taking a hit in the nfl. i'm hoping we address the defense and OL with our first 2-3 picks and then think about skill positions. the 2 guys i think have the size and ability at qb and will be there in the 2nd to third rounds are robinson and pike. don't know about lefevour.

Pike is a 2nd rounder and Fever is a 4th a reach for somebody in the very end of the 3rd.

In his article, J Gatskie tries too hard to make his point by asserting his own mistaken assumptions as absolute facts.

He says Colt McCoy has "never" operated under center. That is not true. Over the last couple of years, Texas went almost exclusively to the spread just as they had with Vince Young but you must remember that McCoy was a four year starter and in his first two years, McCoy played quite a bit under center.

Look at this clip:

Was he under center? Absolutely. By the way, I reference that particular game because it was played in 30 degree weather with gusty winds and snow flurries, which rather shoots down Gatski's contention that McCoy can't play in cold weather. He went 25-40-0 for 220 yards and two TDs. Not spectacular, but Texas won. McCoy took a few hits in that game too.

It's kind of funny that some people think he can't take a hit.

Sam Bradford didn't last a single game after his brilliant offensive line of 2007 and 2008 graduated, yet he's the number one quarterback in the draft.

McCoy not only started 52 straight games, he also rushed 447 times for 1589 yards and 20 TDs during his career. Now why would he tuck the ball and run if he couldn't take a hit?

It's kind of strange what people who apparently don't follow college football seem to imagine they know about college football when it comes time to draft players.

It's kind of strange what people who apparently don't follow college football seem to imagine they know about college football when it comes time to draft players.

who doesn't follow college football? any player drafted in the top ten is a huge risk. i wouldn't draft bradford. some people like other players than you do, so what? imo i don't think mccoy is big enough for the nfl. hey i might be wrong. and there are people like you that think he's the next godenboy. you just don't know how these guys will pan out. i do know if you send in a rookie with no offensive line the kid will get killed....i.e. tim couch. and who didn't hype him and akili smith as the next 2 franchise qbs? i say be safe and get someone in the 2nd or 3rd round. less money and less risk. but don't come on the forum and say noone watches college ball. let me guess you're a big 12 fan and texas is your favorite team.

In his article, J Gatskie tries too hard to make his point by asserting his own mistaken assumptions as absolute facts.

He says Colt McCoy has "never" operated under center. That is not true. Over the last couple of years, Texas went almost exclusively to the spread just as they had with Vince Young but you must remember that McCoy was a four year starter and in his first two years, McCoy played quite a bit under center.

Look at this clip:

Was he under center? Absolutely. By the way, I reference that particular game because it was played in 30 degree weather with gusty winds and snow flurries, which rather shoots down Gatski's contention that McCoy can't play in cold weather. He went 25-40-0 for 220 yards and two TDs. Not spectacular, but Texas won. McCoy took a few hits in that game too.

It's kind of funny that some people think he can't take a hit.

Sam Bradford didn't last a single game after his brilliant offensive line of 2007 and 2008 graduated, yet he's the number one quarterback in the draft.

McCoy not only started 52 straight games, he also rushed 447 times for 1589 yards and 20 TDs during his career. Now why would he tuck the ball and run if he couldn't take a hit?

Good stuff, that was a bullshit article. McCoy is ideal for the WCO/NCO offense we are going to run and is a value even moving up into the first to get. He will be our franchise QB we have been looking for.

who doesn't follow college football? any player drafted in the top ten is a huge risk. i wouldn't draft bradford. some people like other players than you do, so what? imo i don't think mccoy is big enough for the nfl. hey i might be wrong. and there are people like you that think he's the next godenboy. you just don't know how these guys will pan out. i do know if you send in a rookie with no offensive line the kid will get killed....i.e. tim couch. and who didn't hype him and akili smith as the next 2 franchise qbs? i say be safe and get someone in the 2nd or 3rd round. less money and less risk. but don't come on the forum and say noone watches college ball. let me guess you're a big 12 fan and texas is your favorite team.

Sorry if my last sentence sounded a bit snarky. I didn't intend for it to come out that way.

I can understand why teams might not want Colt McCoy and I'm not trying to sell anybody on him.

But why should people justify their opinions by making claims that just aren't true? Why did J Gatskie say Colt McCoy has "never operated under center" when that just isn't true?

If a person is going to write a persuasive article shouldn't they get their facts straight? Don't they owe their readers that much?

Since he couldn't get his facts straight we can only can conclude that he either lied or he was mistaken.

Why would he lie? Aren't there enough knocks against Colt McCoy without having to lie?

So, he probably made a mistake. And why did he make it? Because he probably assumed he knew everything there was to know about the kind of offensive formations Colt McCoy worked out of.

In other words, he didn't know as much about college football as he thought he did. There's no sin in that.

Hey - I don't pretend to know everything about pro football, because yeah... you got it right, miktoxic, I am a Texas fan. :)

Good luck, Cleveland! I hope you get a good one, whoever you get.

He's played every game except the entire championship, i'm sure he got blasted on a play in his 4 years.

He got blasted in his last 2 games, and pulled himself out of the championship game. dejavu Ted Ginn, and scared that the LSU defense would pick him apart and he may end up like Troy Smith and go undrafted. Business sense, good move. But some unlucky team will have to deal with him.

IMO he is a sellout to the game and to all of those true warriors who stayed in and stuck it out playing hurt.

Prediction would be that within 3 years some team will be trading him away for a 5th or 6th round pick.

IMO he is a sellout to the game and to all of those true warriors who stayed in and stuck it out playing hurt.

Prediction would be that within 3 years some team will be trading him away for a 5th or 6th round pick.

agree 100%. unfortunately the people who are in love with him won't hear any different about their new blow boy. here we go again with the gay love fests.

Why Colt Mccoy Is Not The Answer For The Cleveland Browns

by J Gatskie Contributor Written on April 14, 2010

Jamie Squire/Getty Images

Colt Mccoy was a great college quarterback. He set a NCAA record with 45 wins and was the undisputed leader of the Texas Longhorns potent spread attack. More than once, he pulled a victory away from the grasp of defeat and he has been properly celebrated for his accomplishments on the field.

In his career he threw for 13,253 yards and 112 tds with only 45 interceptions. A very good athlete who ran the 110 meter hurdles in high school, he rushed for 1589 yards and 20 touchdowns during his time at Texas.

In the past year alone he has won the Maxwell, Davey O'Brien, Chic Harley, and Johnny Unitas Awards which go to the best: overall player, best senior quarterback, coaches player of the year, and best quarterback.

By any standard, that is quite an impressive collection of awards.

Despite his accomplishments at the collegiate level, he is not viewed as a sure thing for an NFL prospect. His stature (6'1" 220) and arm strength do not measure up to other elite prospects like Sam Bradford (6'4" 236) and Jimmy Clausen (6'3" 223).

Due to concerns about his size and arms strength, some mock drafts have lesser ranked talents like Jevan Snead (6'3" 220) and Tim Tebow (6'3" 235) moving ahead of Mccoy in the selection process.

The scouting report on Colt Mccoy reads in the positive: mobile, athletic, decisive, accurate, quick release, and good leader. The negatives are: physical frame size, weak arm strength, aims ball, no experience operating under center, and stares down receiver.

The Cleveland Browns have hired Mike Holmgren as their football Czar and he has retained Gil Haskell to teach offensive coordinator Brian Daboll the west coast offense. The Browns are in a cold weather city with an open stadium.

The west coast offense emphasizes a short, horizontal passing attack to help spread the defense out. By doing this, it opens the defense up to throws of longer than 14 yards and mid to long yard rushes in the middle of the field.

This type of offense differs from traditional run oriented offenses by having receivers run precise routes on up to 65% of the plays.The quarterback's function is primarily a three or five step drop and a quick, often blind strike to one of three to five targets.

The Browns are said to be working on a hybrid offense that fuses the smashmouth football we saw with Jerome Harrison at the end of the year, with the west coast Holmgren's Seahawks used to run. If that is indeed the case, then I am firmly against the selection of Colt Mccoy as our quarterback of the future.

The heights of the Browns offensive lineman are as follows: 6'6",6'6", 6'6", 6'4", and 6'4". Those are the starters: Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach, Tony Pashos, Alex Mack, and Floyd Womack respectively. According to several scouting reports, Mccoy does not jump to pass like Drew Brees does and he didn't always see over his lineman in college who were smaller than the aforementioned Browns.

Without that jump pass and at only 6'1", he would be at a definite disadvantage when it came to seeing and passing over his offensive line if he was a Cleveland Brown.

With the west coast requiring blind passes stuck in there with a lot of velocity, his lack of arm strength becomes an immediate issue. He has an average sized frame and I am not sure if he could take the pounding teams like the Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers deliver.

The west coast requires the quarterback to make three and five step drops and Mccoy operated solely out of a spread formation at Texas. It is pure conjecture as to how he would fare making the transition.

The Browns play their games in a stadium that borders a lake, is often windy and cold, and a quarterback needs significant arm strength to throw deep outs and sideline routes there. Many draft pundits have chastised the Bills for considering Jimmy Clausen based on his arm strength for the same weather based reason.

Mccoy allegedly has a weaker arm than Clausen.

This is a very important decision for the Cleveland Browns franchise and its fans. In a year or so, whoever is drafted is going to be handed the reins and asked to lead our beloved team back to national prominence.

I think Colt Mccoy is a wonderful college quarterback, a good human being who once saved a mans life from drowning, and may someday be a serviceable NFL starter.

However, I do not think he is the answer for the Cleveland Browns. He is too small, has never operated under center, and does not have enough arm strength for our system or city.

great post........but the big deal is who makes plays when you need to...............McCoy answered that call many times....................

QB's are the key to winning McCoy was a huge winner...................meanwhile considering Claussen was a loser

food for thought

draft winners .,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it tends to continue

McCoy cant take a hit in college, so who thinks he will be anything but gun shy when he hits the pro's

?????

Where did that come from? Didn't he stand in there and take a hit? Are you saying he got scared and took himself out of the game?

If this guy is wearing an orange helmet at training camp, i'm jumping for joy. He's a winner.

The first two years were almost exclusively under center. If you're looking for a system that maximizes his strengths it's WCO. I'm not saying he's a first round grade but I think that the premise of the article is flawed. There are certainly questions about him but anyone who's bothered to look at anything but the national championship game would know that McCoy consistently took hits stepping into the rush and bulked up and delivered punishment running the ball as well. There are no fewer questions about Tebow, Pike, LeFevour (who has a weaker arm BTW) or Clausen.

If Holmgren says "McCoy" then it's McCoy. Done.

He got blasted in his last 2 games, and pulled himself out of the championship game. dejavu Ted Ginn, and scared that the LSU defense would pick him apart and he may end up like Troy Smith and go undrafted. Business sense, good move. But some unlucky team will have to deal with him.

this is so damn frustrating to see people say. Learn the facts before you assume shit seriously. Mack Brown AND the team doctors did not clear him to play. Mack Brown stated several times that he was begging to go back into the game but he just would not let him. I would understand if it was a damn sprained ankle or something, but his arm was dead. He would of absolutely been useless to the team out there. Your opinion doesn't make it fact.

That being said, I can't make a solid opinion on McCoy. I look at all the strong negatives, but as I've said on here before it's hard to count out a competitor who is used to and expects winning. If Holmgren sees the potential in this guy, I say we go for him

it's really frustrating. i just saw him on the espn special 'gruden qb camp' and he looked pretty smart, confident and seems like a standup guy. the trouble is when you invest these picks and money on these guys and they don't pan out, it sets your team back 5 years. so everyone has their opinion, alot times it's not based on fact but more because we are biased on one player over another. i'm sure i'll continue chiming in with my opinion as well until that pick is made, and then i'll chime in some more! good luck to us all browns' fans!

alot times it's not based on fact but more because we are biased on one player over another. i'm sure i'll continue chiming in with my opinion as well until that pick is made, and then i'll chime in some more! good luck to us all browns' fans!

Exactly right. We all have our favorites and I like my guy and you like yours. Once the draft is over we're stuck with whoever they pick. They have more information than we do. They have more experience than we do. In the end, things unfold on draft day. Seven guys with 1st round grades will certainly drop to the top of the second. What if one of those guys is (fill in stud name here)? The draft team is going to have to roll with the changes. They have to react to what happens.

After it's all said and done, we just have to rally around who they do pick and hope they reach some great potential level of play.

and that makes taking Bradford even more risky

yeah why even show up for the draft.........just say NO..........and go for hiding in a gutter

Archived