THE BROWNS BOARD

A trade partner?

BrownsBacker85

Eagles want to trade up for a safety

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 16, 2010 12:13 PM ET

With four of the first 70 picks in next week's draft, the Philadelphia Eagles have the ability to put together a package to trade up. And that's reportedly what they want to do, if they can trade up to a spot where one of the top two safeties will be available.

Peter King of SI.com reports that the Eagles want to move up into first half of the first round, and that they'd like to get either Eric Berry of Tennessee or Earl Thomas of Texas. (Our mock draft has Berry going seventh and Thomas going 21st.)

King writes that the Dolphins, who have the 12th pick, could be the Eagles' trading partners. Dolphins boss Bill Parcells would like to have a second-round pick, but Miami currently doesn't have one after the Brandon Marshall trade.

For Philadelphia, moving up would likely involve the Eagles giving up their own first-round pick (24th overall) and one or two of their other picks, which include the 35th, 55th and 70th overall.

Maybe the team we do business with.

With four of the first 70 picks in next week's draft, the Philadelphia Eagles have the ability to put together a package to trade up. And that's reportedly what they want to do, if they can trade up to a spot where one of the top two safeties will be available.

Peter King of SI.com reports that the Eagles want to move up into first half of the first round, and that they'd like to get either Eric Berry of Tennessee or Earl Thomas of Texas. (Our mock draft has Berry going seventh and Thomas going 21st.)

King writes that the Dolphins, who have the 12th pick, could be the Eagles' trading partners. Dolphins boss Bill Parcells would like to have a second-round pick, but Miami currently doesn't have one after the Brandon Marshall trade.

For Philadelphia, moving up would likely involve the Eagles giving up their own first-round pick (24th overall) and one or two of their other picks, which include the 35th, 55th and 70th overall.

Only problem IMHO is #24 is too far to move down. I agree, Miami is more likely, as they'd probably only want the Eagles first and second. For the Browns to slide down 17 spots, they'd want all three picks. LOL, unless Heckert's goal is to have every pick in the third round. :)

Ugh. I really want the Steelers to get a shot at Thomas but because the Eagles have interest in Thomas I can't see them trying to trade up further for Berry who i don't believe is worlds better than Thomas. I would think if the Eagles were going to trade up with the Browns they would have in the Sheldon Brown trade no?

Ugh. I really want the Steelers to get a shot at Thomas but because the Eagles have interest in Thomas I can't see them trying to trade up further for Berry who i don't believe is worlds better than Thomas. I would think if the Eagles were going to trade up with the Browns they would have in the Sheldon Brown trade no?

Why do you want Thomas to go to the Steelers?? There is no way that the eagles were going to be able to swap spots with us in the first for Sheldon Brown and Gocong. Maybe you undervalue our first round pick like the GM Kokock did last year.

Why do you want Thomas to go to the Steelers?? There is no way that the eagles were going to be able to swap spots with us in the first for Sheldon Brown and Gocong. Maybe you undervalue our first round pick like the GM Kokock did last year.

I obviously didn't mean that Sheldon Brown and Gocong were worth your 7th pick. I meant if they wanted your first round they would have given you more in the first place. Earl Thomas can play both safety and corner. Plenty of people in Pittsburgh want Earl Thomas.

I obviously didn't mean that Sheldon Brown and Gocong were worth your 7th pick. I meant if they wanted your first round they would have given you more in the first place. Earl Thomas can play both safety and corner. Plenty of people in Pittsburgh want Earl Thomas.

I heard the old man off of Family guy was entering the draft maybe the Steelers will draft him with the 18th pick overall. Him and Roethlisberger will become real good friends since they have alot in common.

I heard the old man off of Family guy was entering the draft maybe the Steelers will draft him with the 18th pick overall. Him and Roethlisberger will become real good friends since they have alot in common.

Zinger. I heard Herbert can throw a mean skinny post. Just a for your information, plenty of people in Pittsburgh are livid with what has transpired with Big Ben. He has 100% shamed the Steelers and it's not taken lightly. The Retarded insults don't hold a whole lot of water.

Only problem IMHO is #24 is too far to move down. I agree, Miami is more likely, as they'd probably only want the Eagles first and second. For the Browns to slide down 17 spots, they'd want all three picks. LOL, unless Heckert's goal is to have every pick in the third round. :)

That is a pretty good drop, but there it simply changes the focus...in that position OL might become a target..

IMHO, we need to make a pretty big splash in this draft & moving down to #24 worries me a bit. IF the Browns were to trade with Philly, I would want their 1st, early 2nd & either 55 or 70.....PERIOD!

Bottom line is that I am uncomfortable going that far down in the 1st, especially when our biggest current need seems to be safety.

Mike

I refuse to go along with trading down below the steelers.

that way I can say "haha, we got the player that the stupid steelers wanted.

So, then they drafted a reach that would end up in legal trouble, etc."

Another trade partner that hasnt been mentioned is Houston. They just lost their #1 corner(Robinson) to FA so they are in need of a solid corner. Could they possible trade up to #7 to nab Haden?? They would probably have to give up their #20 and #51 and maybe a late round pick.

Another trade partner that hasnt been mentioned is Houston. They just lost their #1 corner(Robinson) to FA so they are in need of a solid corner. Could they possible trade up to #7 to nab Haden?? They would probably have to give up their #20 and #51 and maybe a late round pick.

it would be nice to see, but i see haden going 10-13. there's no need to trade up that high.

If we could, that would be one way to build some quality depth on the roster.

Pipe dreams in the making.

Archived