THE BROWNS BOARD

Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen thinks Cleveland Browns would be a great fit

TheClevelandSound

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...clausen_th.html

CLEVELAND -- Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen told the Plain Dealer today he thinks the Browns would be a great fit for him because the system is very similar to what he ran in college under Charlie Weis.

Clausen visited the Browns earlier this month and is on their radar with the No. 7 pick.

"It's the same terminology and they run the same plays, the same formations,'' said Clausen. "(Offensive coordinator) Brian Daboll knows coach Weis really well, so we were speaking the same language and had a really good rapport.''

He said he also hit it off with Browns coach Eric Mangini, who also knows Weis very well from their New England days. "We spent about 40 minutes together in Cleveland and it went very well,'' said Clausen.

Clausen said he knew back when Browns President Mike Holmgren said he "wished he liked (Clausen) more'' that it might just be a smokescreen. Holmgren then confirmed that during his visit to Cleveland.

"He said he says thing before the draft that may or may not be true,'' he said. "He told me he said that to throw people off.''

Still, he has no handle on whether or not the Browns will draft him. "They didn't give me any kind of vibe at all,'' he said.

He also said he didn't know if Weis, who's now the offensive coordinator for Kansas City, who picks at No. 5, will let him get past the Chiefs.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...clausen_th.html

CLEVELAND -- Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen told the Plain Dealer today he thinks the Browns would be a great fit for him because the system is very similar to what he ran in college under Charlie Weis.

Clausen visited the Browns earlier this month and is on their radar with the No. 7 pick.

"It's the same terminology and they run the same plays, the same formations,'' said Clausen. "(Offensive coordinator) Brian Daboll knows coach Weis really well, so we were speaking the same language and had a really good rapport.''

He said he also hit it off with Browns coach Eric Mangini, who also knows Weis very well from their New England days. "We spent about 40 minutes together in Cleveland and it went very well,'' said Clausen.

Clausen said he knew back when Browns President Mike Holmgren said he "wished he liked (Clausen) more'' that it might just be a smokescreen. Holmgren then confirmed that during his visit to Cleveland.

"He said he says thing before the draft that may or may not be true,'' he said. "He told me he said that to throw people off.''

Still, he has no handle on whether or not the Browns will draft him. "They didn't give me any kind of vibe at all,'' he said.

He also said he didn't know if Weis, who's now the offensive coordinator for Kansas City, who picks at No. 5, will let him get past the Chiefs.

I'm waiting for the Clausen jerseys to be made, I'll be first in line.

I just can't look at Clausen and think "That's the guy I wanna root for for the next decade". Hell, I'm afraid to look him in the eyes for fear of turning to salt...............

I am a huge ND Football fan and jimmy clausen is the biggest puss i've ever seen. This kid is totally overrated, and will never make it in the NFL. I'm sorry, but his name should never be mentioned on this forum. In 2 years, you guys will regret ever bringing his name up. So so sad

Wrong answer pal. Should learn to keep your discussion private. I am a lifelong ND fan and I watched this kid every week, but even though he doesn't suck, he is Ryan Leafish to me. Don't want him and I suppose Mangini and Heckert feel the same way. Holmgren is not taking this kid under his wing.

There is nothing I've seen written about the Clausen Scenario that would lead me to believe that the Browns have any more interest in him than in any other QB. Jimmy also thought taking a limo to signing day was a great fit. (OK, I couldn't resist).

I think that the comparisons to Ryan Leaf are fair in the sense that before the draft those in the know KNEW that Ryan Leaf had maturity issues. If this rings that same tone....I would stay away. I don't know this for a fact so I will leave the Clausen analysis to those with the actual data and interview results.

Note to Jimmy: Doesn't matter if you think it's a great fit. It's whether Holmgren does. The terminology was the same for #10 last year. Doesn't mean you're a Brown on Thursday night.

It's one thing to tell the Plain Dealer that you want to be a Brown. To do so, you're preaching to the choir and telling them what they want to hear.

Buffalo fans are under the impression he wants to play for them too.

http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?t=247978

But how crazy is Colt McCoy? He told an Atlanta, Georgia radio station that the Browns would be his choice.

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2010/0...s/nh2391700.txt

Archived