THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns desperate to move down?

CLEVELandMILIDH

Browns could be caught in a vise at No. 7

Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2010 12:35 PM ET

As the draft gets closer, there's one team that is believed to be "panicking" based on its position in the top ten.

With five or six truly elite players in the draft pool (Sam Bradford, Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy, Trent Williams, Russell Okung, and possibly Eric Berry), the Browns potentially will find themselves with the first pick in the second wave of round one.

As we hear it, the Browns don't believe there's anyone who can sufficiently help them at No. 7 to justify using the pick. They don't sufficiently love cornerback Joe Haden or running back C.J. Spiller to take either of them at that high financial slot. If Berry squirts through, he could be the pick.

So that's why the Browns are exploring a move in either direction. The problem will be to find someone else who wants to use the seventh pick on a player who may not justify the financial investment, given that the team that uses the selection will be faced with the slot-busting Darrius Heyward-Bey contract as a starting point.

The only way the Rams would come down to No. 7 would be to get quarterback Jimmy Clausen. The only way someone would come up would be to get Clausen or Kyle Wilson or Dez Bryant or someone other player that a team in the teens secretly loves.

Either way, that four-game winning streak to end the 2009 season has created an unwanted consequence. The Browns are now stuck in a round-one no-man's-land from which they may not be able to escape.

Holmgren and Mangini need to replace a bunch of savage duds and need more draft picks or they dont see anybody worth paying #7 overall type money to.

I will commend them if they do trade down. I would like to see some depth on that roster, it will make december football a little moe interesting to watch.

There's a lot of teams that want to trade out of 5-9. The money's too high and you're generally hoping someone "falls" out of the top five. The problem is that other teams have to be in love with somebody and you need that team to be so enamored with the player that they shoot their draft-gasm and want to partner to trade up. Those are big "ifs". Most years, the value drops off at #5 but I don't see that as the problem this year.

The problem (as the NBC village idiot points out) is that contract that Al Davis gave to Heyward-Bey. He really needs to stick to Mahjong. It's the only other thing he's dressed for.

+1. Florio has no idea in hell who the Browns are targeting, and the top 6 are a wild guess at best.

I agree. It seems like every year the crap spot(according to the media) is wherever the Browns sit.

If we want to trade down, we can trade down. We may have to give a discount over normal compensation, but we can move down if we wish.

Someone sitting at 20 would jump at a chance to pick at 7....especially if what the Browns were asking for the swap was considered a good deal.

I wouldn't look at the draft chart if we do move down...I do agree with Florio, I doubt we will be able to command chart prices so to speak.

Holmgren and Mangini need to replace a bunch of savage duds and need more draft picks or they dont see anybody worth paying #7 overall type money to.

I will commend them if they do trade down. I would like to see some depth on that roster, it will make december football a little moe interesting to watch.

I read somewhere that GB wants to move up. Don't know how high but Holmgren and the Packers would make good trading partners. Packers move up - assuming the player they want would be available at #7 - maybe a last minute trade - and Cleveland gets GBs first round slot plus other picks - either this year or next.

Well I suppose a short wsell is possible but we'll need a sucker if we expect them to take a guy at 7 that they could have at 20 just to pay him more.

I'd say there's not enough difference between a #7 and a #20 to waste the money.

At least with a #20 and maybe a #52 there's two chances to hit.

WSS

I expect Clausen to fall and in that case, somebody may want to leap-frog Buffalo to get him. Outside of that, I'm not sure who would be left at 7 that teams may be droolingh over. We may have to take a bit of a hit to get out of #7 but it might be the best idea.

However, there is also the possibility of taking the BPA and potentially trading away a vet in that same position for more draft picks. Maybe take a McClain and trade Jackson for another 3rd or something along those lines. Especially when LB isn't a deep position in this year's draft. Either way, this draft is going to be fantastic! We'll get a real sense of how Mangini/Heckert/Holmgren will be running this team for the next couple of years.

I think Florio captures the main worry I've had about this draft for quite a while now. hoorta is probably right; it's just a worry that I can't seem to shake off.

I agree. To me it seems only worth it if we could get Suh, McCoy, or Berry. None of the QBs are worth it imo. We already have the best LT in the game and though we may need a RT or RG, #7 is not the place to get them. Plus it would seem a reach to me to take Bryant or Spiller there.

Either move up to insure selection of Suh/McCoy/Berry or move down to get a Thomas/Haden or whoever and pick up some more depth with extra choices.

I suspect the Browns could be one of the most active trading teams on draft day.

I think the Browns will trade down to a team that wants Clausen.

However, if the Steelers trade Ben to Seattle, Buffalo, or Oakland, they may ruin our shot at trading down.

If they trade up to Seattle, then they take Clausen.

If they trade up to Oakland, we may still have a shot to trade down as Buffalo may want to leapfrog the Steelers.

If they trade up to Buffalo, we may still have a shot to trade down, as other teams may want to leapfrog the Steelers instead of Buffalo.

But the potential for trades may largely depend on where Rothlisberger goes.

And the trade of Ben may not happen at all if we trade to another team so they can move up and take Clausen.

Well I suppose a short wsell is possible but we'll need a sucker if we expect them to take a guy at 7 that they could have at 20 just to pay him more.

I'd say there's not enough difference between a #7 and a #20 to waste the money.

At least with a #20 and maybe a #52 there's two chances to hit.

WSS

I doubt it would be to take a player a team figured it could get at 20. I am sure it would be for a player the team never figured it had a chance at getting.

You know that.

We are in great shape at 7. The way things are shaping up we'll have either Berry available to pick or Clausen available to dangle for a trade, or if they are both off the board we'll have one of the top lineman in the Draft available to take. Win, Win and Win.

Oh, and Florio is a tool.

I think the Browns will trade down to a team that wants Clausen.

However, if the Steelers trade Ben to Seattle, Buffalo, or Oakland, they may ruin our shot at trading down.

If they trade up to Seattle, then they take Clausen.

If they trade up to Oakland, we may still have a shot to trade down as Buffalo may want to leapfrog the Steelers.

If they trade up to Buffalo, we may still have a shot to trade down, as other teams may want to leapfrog the Steelers instead of Buffalo.

But the potential for trades may largely depend on where Rothlisberger goes.

And the trade of Ben may not happen at all if we trade to another team so they can move up and take Clausen.

Personally I think BeenRapinchicks stays stuck on the Steelers. The only team that might possibly have an interest would IMHO be the Raiders.

Archived