THE BROWNS BOARD

Sheldon Browns role depends on Hadens development

ATENEARS

FROM THE WIRE: Sheldon Brown's role with the Browns this season is expected to hinge on first-round CB Joe Haden's rate of development.

If Haden proves ready to start opposite Eric Wright immediately, then Brown will likely fill the vacancy at free safety. If Haden needs time to develop as a nickelback, Brown will likely stay at cornerback. We're guessing the veteran ends up at safety. Apr. 23 - 12:03 am et

Cleveland Browns don't get their safety, so they go with the safe pick

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

April 23, 2010, 4:50AM

Updated at 9:58 p.m.

The Browns need a gritty, Hanford Dixon-type cornerback.

They are hoping Joe Haden will be that guy.

When it comes to the NFL Draft, you always say "maybe." Or always talk about "hope." That's because there are no sure things, regardless of how much money is spent on scouting and research.

But when it came to the Browns making their No. 7 selection in the draft, they wanted a player who could start as a rookie, a young man who would be guaranteed at least $15 million and still stay hungry and determined.

"A green-sticker guy," is what Browns coach Eric Mangini called Haden.

He meant that Haden started 40 games at Florida and was considered the top cornerback in the draft at the end of the season. He meant that Haden fits into the team concept and that his personality means the Browns can count on him to stay out of trouble and in the film room.

Many of those "core characteristics," as Mangini calls them, also were present Eric Berry, the projected impact safety from Tennessee. But Kansas City grabbed Berry, who seemed to be the Browns' top-rated defensive back.

joe-haden-3jpg-e1fb102b116323bb_medium.j

Joe Haden might have been the safe pick, but he'll be a welcome addition to the Browns' defense.

But the Browns couldn't trade up for Berry, or at least weren't ready to dig deep into their sack of 10 draft picks to move up a few notches. They want to keep those three picks in the third round and their other selections in case they need to trade up for a quarterback such as Texas' Colt McCoy.

It appears the rumors floated about possibly selecting Georgia Tech defensive end Derrick Morgan were in hopes of stirring up trade interest, but it didn't happen.

So they turned back to Haden, ignoring the poor 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis because they learned Haden had a back problem. He ran well during his pro day.

Most important, he impressed when he visited the Browns.

That was when he gave the team the green light with his attitude.

"Smart, tough, hardworking, competitive," Mangini said. "He's somebody who's selfless, somebody who the game is important to. . . . You could feel the intensity, feel the passion, how much he cared about playing football and continue to improve. It was real."

Some in the Browns front office really liked Boise State cornerback Kyle Wilson. Others were intrigued by Texas safety Earl Thomas. But Wilson playing at Boise State -- a non-BCS school -- might have counted against him. And Thomas playing only two years at Texas might be a bit of a concern.

When Browns General Manager Tom Heckert said he wanted the No. 7 pick to be a certain starter, it appears Haden was the best bet. He was first-team All-American, a big-time player for a powerful team in perhaps the toughest conference in the nation, the Southeastern Conference.

It's a little like when former Browns GM Phil Savage drafted left tackle Joe Thomas in 2007, or when Mangini picked center Alex Mack in 2009. Those guys were experienced players from major schools who were top-rated at their respective positions. Not every fan gave them a standing ovation when their names were called, but most fans now appreciate what they mean to the team.

This means newly acquired veteran cornerback Sheldon Brown can play some safety, if Haden is immediately ready to start opposite Eric Wright. If Haden needs some time to adjust to the pros, the Browns can go with Brown at cornerback and Haden being a fifth defensive back in passing situations.

Mangini said he uses at least five defensive backs in about half of the defensive positions. He also didn't want to be one injury away from having to start Brandon McDonald at corner.

So Joe Haden, welcome to the Browns.

You are really needed here.

Cleveland Browns don't get their safety, so they go with the safe pick

By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

April 23, 2010, 4:50AM

Updated at 9:58 p.m.

The Browns need a gritty, Hanford Dixon-type cornerback.

They are hoping Joe Haden will be that guy.

When it comes to the NFL Draft, you always say "maybe." Or always talk about "hope." That's because there are no sure things, regardless of how much money is spent on scouting and research.

But when it came to the Browns making their No. 7 selection in the draft, they wanted a player who could start as a rookie, a young man who would be guaranteed at least $15 million and still stay hungry and determined.

"A green-sticker guy," is what Browns coach Eric Mangini called Haden.

He meant that Haden started 40 games at Florida and was considered the top cornerback in the draft at the end of the season. He meant that Haden fits into the team concept and that his personality means the Browns can count on him to stay out of trouble and in the film room.

Many of those "core characteristics," as Mangini calls them, also were present Eric Berry, the projected impact safety from Tennessee. But Kansas City grabbed Berry, who seemed to be the Browns' top-rated defensive back.

joe-haden-3jpg-e1fb102b116323bb_medium.j

Joe Haden might have been the safe pick, but he'll be a welcome addition to the Browns' defense.

But the Browns couldn't trade up for Berry, or at least weren't ready to dig deep into their sack of 10 draft picks to move up a few notches. They want to keep those three picks in the third round and their other selections in case they need to trade up for a quarterback such as Texas' Colt McCoy.

It appears the rumors floated about possibly selecting Georgia Tech defensive end Derrick Morgan were in hopes of stirring up trade interest, but it didn't happen.

So they turned back to Haden, ignoring the poor 40-yard dash at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis because they learned Haden had a back problem. He ran well during his pro day.

Most important, he impressed when he visited the Browns.

That was when he gave the team the green light with his attitude.

"Smart, tough, hardworking, competitive," Mangini said. "He's somebody who's selfless, somebody who the game is important to. . . . You could feel the intensity, feel the passion, how much he cared about playing football and continue to improve. It was real."

Some in the Browns front office really liked Boise State cornerback Kyle Wilson. Others were intrigued by Texas safety Earl Thomas. But Wilson playing at Boise State -- a non-BCS school -- might have counted against him. And Thomas playing only two years at Texas might be a bit of a concern.

When Browns General Manager Tom Heckert said he wanted the No. 7 pick to be a certain starter, it appears Haden was the best bet. He was first-team All-American, a big-time player for a powerful team in perhaps the toughest conference in the nation, the Southeastern Conference.

It's a little like when former Browns GM Phil Savage drafted left tackle Joe Thomas in 2007, or when Mangini picked center Alex Mack in 2009. Those guys were experienced players from major schools who were top-rated at their respective positions. Not every fan gave them a standing ovation when their names were called, but most fans now appreciate what they mean to the team.

This means newly acquired veteran cornerback Sheldon Brown can play some safety, if Haden is immediately ready to start opposite Eric Wright. If Haden needs some time to adjust to the pros, the Browns can go with Brown at cornerback and Haden being a fifth defensive back in passing situations.

Mangini said he uses at least five defensive backs in about half of the defensive positions. He also didn't want to be one injury away from having to start Brandon McDonald at corner.

So Joe Haden, welcome to the Browns.

You are really needed here.

He was a smart pick. Now let's go get Colt McCoy and run up the winning streak against the Steelers.

Zombo

I was hoping safety but a shutdown CB works for me. If the kid does what he said he would do and acts with that kind of dedication and respect come camp, then I guess Brown goes safety and McDonald rues what could have been. "It's unbelievable, a dream come true - I'm going to be a Brown" I liked that alot! And his suit.

I was hoping safety but a shutdown CB works for me. If the kid does what he said he would do and acts with that kind of dedication and respect come camp, then I guess Brown goes safety and McDonald rues what could have been. "It's unbelievable, a dream come true - I'm going to be a Brown" I liked that alot! And his suit.

i love these guys that are actually psyched to be on this team. more front office appreciation. now grab mccoy.

i love these guys that are actually psyched to be on this team. more front office appreciation. now grab mccoy.

I'm with you Mudrat, I love the way he got it so right "I'm gonna be a Brown <Big Smile>" Damn right you are son, something we would all give our left bollock to be - appreciate it, play up and we will love you for it. I may be looking too much into a couple of short sentences but apart from the initial buzz of knowing you are a first rounder, this guy came across as feeling that he was going to be playing for a team that would contest - it also felt like he was doffing his cap to our heritage. Yeah, I'm reading way too much into it - but hey, it's draft week and went D on the first round - Love it.

I really like haden the kid fits the browns well and will produce but brown and elam at our safety positions leaves to much to be desired and is going to result in our CBs truly being on an island all alone and left out to dry more times than not..im hoping we get at least one starting quality safety out of this draft because mangini is just wrong about elam the guy is not nor ever has been a playmaker he isnt a good coverage safety nor is he impressive against the run he is just a body on the field filling a gap and while brown may do ok as a coverage safety he likely wont hold up long and will be a dent in the armor against the run...

Good, solid pick. Now give me McCoy and a safety in round three. We can have a damn good secondary after this is done.

I expected Brown to play safety when we got him. It gave us the flexibility to keep him at corner if we snagged Berry or Thomas or move him to safety if we landed Haden.

Wright-Hayden-Brown at corner

Elam-Ward at Safety.

I'm a Mike Adams fan too.

With the improvements we made at LB, and Rogers back healthy, and th esecond year fo the Mangini/Ryan Defense ... there is going to be a defensive revolution on the lake this year.

Zombo

Archived