THE BROWNS BOARD

My new problem with the defense

DTBH

We all know we're lacking talent in the linebacking group and the defensive backs. We all know they don't play with as much pride as they should. Here's my new problem that I realized completely f*cks us every game -- We don't disguise coverages. If you watch a team like the Steelers, Ravens, or Giants, you'll see a defense moving around, giving different looks, disguising coverage.

The Browns don't do that. It's one look all game. Thee down lineman with 2 OLBs on the edge standing up and 2 MLB standing 3 yards behind the DL with their hands on their thighs. Two deep safeties and two corners with 10 yard cushions. No fakes, no disgusing, no pretending, no movement. There is absolutely no element of suprise.

If those players weren't already bad enough, the scheming makes them ten-fold worse. That's all coaching, too.

Start with the coaching staff and goes from there. What was so great to promote Mel "Drive-in" Tucker to Defensive coordinator? What did the organization see in Mel that no one else saw that he was the next Jim Johnson, Monte Kiffen, Rex Ryan? Who made the decision? What when into that decision? Did they know that he was a DB coach with a poor track record? Better yet, was he providing sexual favors to RAC?

It really doesn't matter how much the offense scores, the defense will usually find a way to give up one more point than that. That's why, especially with a 'bend but don't break' defense, the "ppg allowed" stat can be VERY misleading in terms of judging how good a defense is. It doesn't matter if you've luckily kept them out of the endzone all game by playing prevent -- in the end, when they need to score on you, they will 90% of the time.

They always say -- if you've got a good defense you can be in and win every game you play. Well, if you've got a bad defense you can blow and lose every game you play.

Archived