THE BROWNS BOARD

#2 pick TJ Ward - Why??

dawg08

Yeah, but a lot of teams out there need a safety, he would have been picked in the 2nd. Hes a solid player.

Our defense should be tremendous next season!! I'll take it!

-------

Manigini probably has a big smile on his face right now

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source...and-Chiefs.html

University of Oregon safety T.J. Ward took official predraft visits with the Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns and the Kansas City Chiefs, according to a source close to the program,

The two-time honorable-mention All-Pac 10 selection also had two private workouts with undisclosed teams.

At the NFL scouting combine, he had roughly 10 formal interviews. That included meetings with the Cincinnati Bengals, Dallas Cowboys and the New York Jets.

Ward has drawn second-round grades from NFL teams and is projected to go anywhere from that spot to the fourth round.

Ward is regarded as a hard hitter who has excelled in classroom work with NFL teams, displaying his football savvy.

The 5-foot-11, 211-pounder ran a 4.48 in the 40-yard dash at his campus Pro Day workout, improving on his 4.54 from the NFL scouting combine where he bench pressed 225 pounds 19 times and posted a 34-inch vertical leap.

His 4.12 20-yard shuttle at his Pro Day ranks him ahead of Taylor Mays, Nate Allen and Chad Jones.

Invited to the East-West Shrine all-star game, Ward recorded 190 career tackles, 13 pass deflections and three interceptions. He forced five fumbles over the past two seasons.

Ward has drawn praise from NFL draft analyst Gil Brandt, a former Cowboys executive

Looks to me like he was a bit underrated. Good solid pick

Ward is regarded as a hard hitter who has excelled in classroom work with NFL teams, displaying his football savvy.

Sounds like a football player. We haven't had a hard-hitting safety who can cover in forever. Mangini's defense is getting better by the minute.

Gocong, Sheldon, Hayden, Ward ... and we still have a ton of picks.

Looks like we are going the black & blue route ... I love it.

Zombo

Respecting the knowledge & ability of our new FO, I checked out You Tubes on Ward. OMG!!..If he stays healthy, he'll be super! The guy hits like Jack Tatum...remember him?

Given the deeper coverage people we have now, this guy could fit llike a glove for close in run support & on receivers on crossing patterns. He hits like a ton of bricks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd6Hp5uiJgM

He just may be our playmaker on defense...Certainly looks like he can intimidate!

Mike

Think he was drafted way too high.

I agree it was a bit of a reach, but I think we took who was on our board as our fit before a possible run on safeties happened.

I think our guys believe he can be a steal for us. Here hoping !

GO Browns!

Respecting the knowledge & ability of our new FO, I checked out You Tubes on Ward. OMG!!..If he stays healthy, he'll be super! The guy hits like Jack Tatum...remember him?

Given the deeper coverage people we have now, this guy could fit llike a glove for close in run support & on receivers on crossing patterns. He hits like a ton of bricks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd6Hp5uiJgM

He just may be our playmaker on defense...Certainly looks like he can intimidate!

Mike

This is a great pick. I've watched T.J. Ward through his career at my alma-mater, the U. of Oregon, and he was part of a D-backfield that was the strength of the defense. He will help the Browns. I never want to see Adrian Peterson running through the Browns D-backfield again like he did last year. No more matador tackles.

This is a great pick. I've watched T.J. Ward through his career at my alma-mater, the U. of Oregon, and he was part of a D-backfield that was the strength of the defense. He will help the Browns. I never want to see Adrian Peterson running through the Browns D-backfield again like he did last year. No more matador tackles.

Chuck, I'm glad to hear from an alum. You're more qualified to give us insight. I would add that Ward gives us ATTITUDE. He gives us that "Ronnie Lott Woo Hit" attitude. He's a better pick than Taylor Mays because he has a better attitude and he's incredibly smart (an honor student if I'm not mistaken).

Exactly.

It was a must to draft a safety and we took the best available

My Son reminded me tonight that Belichek made the statement last year (referring to then Safety Patrick Chung) that he wasn't even the best Safety on his own team...Ward is the one he deemed as better.

I don't think Ward would have lasted much longer. The Patriots may have grabbed him. He may turn out to be a GREAT pick.

Mike

T. J. Ward, meet Hines Ward. You know, Hines Ward, the guy laying on the turf after you decked him after he caught a pass, and fumbled it away. @@

T. J. Ward, meet Hines Ward. You know, Hines Ward, the guy laying on the turf after you decked him after he caught a pass, and fumbled it away. @@

I have to agree with heckert on this pick our medical staff cleared the kid and he would have been a 1st rounder minus his medical history..and we really needed a guy that can lay down a hit ,tackle and or cover on the fly if he reads something and ward brings this big time...he is going to bring exactly what we need in a safety in certain circumstances..if ward stays healthy throughout training camp he will win the starting job hands down and quickly become a fan favorite, ward on ward lol what a matchup! ;)

I love Ward and will say again, had the Browns taking Morgan Burnette instead of Hardesty we could have seen these two play side by side for a long time. Ward is the hitter and while Burnett can hit too, He is more interested in going for the ball.

Ward and Burnett could have put a lot of fear into NFL WR's.

lol or T.J Ward meet Rashard Mendenhall the guy that put the Reebok on your forehead. If we're being realistic.

Archived