THE BROWNS BOARD

Montario Hardesty

Mr. T

Oldcrow, you make a good point. I, too, figured if we could "ignore" one position in this draft it would be RB. I didn't like trading up. He does run a bit high and that's not a good thing.

I think that this pick tells us a little somethiing about Tom Heckert though. It tells us:

a) he can discriminate fine differences between different guys at the same position. When Mangini was in NY in 2007, there were three highly rated CBs (Ross, Griffin and Revis). Somehow, Mangini knew to trade up to get Revis as opposed to being satisfied with the other two.

B) he can stick to his board when perhaps another team need might have made someone else reach. True, it's hard to pass up on Golden Tate but this pick shows a bit of conviction and I think we have to like that.

The question with this pick is "is it 'Raiders-bad'???". I don't think so. I think a lot of people may question it but you can certainly find pre-draft material that had him rated this high.

Harrison had a great month last December but he isn't a big guy. Davis isn't huge either. The pick grew on me.

Looking back on this draft, it had two themes for the Browns: toughness and attitude. You have to admit that, at least for now, we seem to have had an upgrade in both attributes. I think the chances are less likely that Adrian Peterson makes that same run against us this year swatting defenders away like a guy in a wife-beater.

Add 10 lbs by camp and this is Jamal Lewis. He's a 1 cut bruiser with great vision. After I got over the initial surprise of some of these names, I am really loving this draft. Very responsible, decisive, smart picks. It looks like a Mangini draft.

I hate this pick. A striaght ahead runner who runs too high.

This team needs to fill so many holes. RB was not one of them. Especially after picking up Hillis from Denver.

Harrison, Davis, Hillis and we draft another RB? Makes no sense to me at all.

Morgan Burnett was there, as was Pat Angerer. Two guys that would've helped much more than yet another RB.

I love Burnette. A big Safety that can play either Free or Strong.

Early on Heckert said he liked to draft BPA.

It's obvious this year we may have had to reach some to bring in defensive backfiled players....the second round safety might be a good example of a reach to fill a need.

My feeling Hardesty was clear and away the best player on our board when we decided to trade up to get him.....so that pick is a good example of taking BPA.

It may not be the best pick as it relates to this season, but in the long term, it might prove to be a stroke of genius.

Say Harrison has another nice season along with all the others....that turns in to trade bait.

For a while we may not use conventional wisdom in how we run the team....I think there is at least better than a outside shot we keep 4 QBs on the roster this year as an example.

Archived