THE BROWNS BOARD

memo to cleveland fans

cdl15

This is a professional crew running operations so if the fans of cleveland can sit there and demand to see colt before the time is right than you are an idiot.

That crap ends now and we are so blessed that people are in place that don't give a sh1t what the fans want or how the media influences terrible moves.

We finally have a chance so sit down shut up and watch the greatest thing to happen to cleveland since they left

This is a professional crew running operations so if the fans of cleveland can sit there and demand to see colt before the time is right than you are an idiot.

That crap ends now and we are so blessed that people are in place that don't give a sh1t what the fans want or how the media influences terrible moves.

We finally have a chance so sit down shut up and watch the greatest thing to happen to cleveland since they left

It's called...Substance over sexy

Should have been the approach 10 years ago.

I actually wanted Mays as a "playmaker" on defense even though I had major questions about his character. Then, when they drafted Ward, I watched You Tube...this kid is a PLAYMAKER! If he stays healthy, he outshines Mays a TON! I posted in another thread that he reminds me of Jack Tatum, then my Son asked if I saw the interview where Ward said he modeled his game after Tatum's. I did not see that interview, but I was a huge Tatum fan during his OSU days & this kid is every bit as ferocious a hitter. Shame on me for wanting Mays when Ward was lurking in the shadows.

Haden was my first choice (yes, over Berry), so I'm pleased there, I like Hardesty (225 lbs & sub 4.5 speed?), & I love the McCoy pick. The Browns haven't gone for glamour, they have drafted PLAYERS...blue collar, smart, smash mouth FOOTBALL players & I am lovin' it!

As far as WR goes, it takes 2-3 years for them to develop, so why draft another rookie (unless it's a lower pick like Freddie Barnes)? There are still veteran Free Agents available, or maybe a trade.

Bottom line is that this draft is shaping up to be one that really upgrades the Browns & may add 2-3 immediate starters & solid contributors.

Mike

So Hitler can we cheer when we score?

Can we heckel and boo when we suck?

Last I knew I contribute my money twords their salaries, sooooo as far as I'm concerned I'll talk all the shit I want.

Without the Colt McCoy pick in the third round, I'm certain the Browns are labeled among the worst draft classes. I still think the McCoy pick was for political and media purposes as much as anything else. If not, and they really, really, really, wanted him, they would not have expected to land him that deep and would have taken him earlier.

So, there was some listening to fans, media, and the so-called experts, IMO.

I'm not knocking Colt, this is a crap shoot and we've done well taking a gamble on him and this very well could be a steal. However, it was the 'sexy' pick everyone thinks we didn't make. We did make it and without it everyone would be whistling a different tune today.

Without the Colt McCoy pick in the third round, I'm certain the Browns are labeled among the worst draft classes. I still think the McCoy pick was for political and media purposes as much as anything else. If not, and they really, really, really, wanted him, they would not have expected to land him that deep and would have taken him earlier.

I'm not knocking Colt, this is a crap shoot and we've done well taking a gamble on him and this very well could be a steal. However, it was the 'sexy' pick everyone thinks we didn't make. We did make it and without it everyone would be whistling a different tune today.

Stan, your probably right with that assumption, having probably seen that they actually made a mistake in wasting picks to move up to take Hardesty (no RB was taken after or the whole 3rd round), when McCoy fell to them in the 3rd they had to take him to take some pressure of what could have been seen as wasting 2 5th round picks to move up to end of 2nd when would most likely have gotten Hardesty with their first pick in the 3rd

I wasnt aware that any regime has ever listened to us or has ever grabbed anyone we as fans wanted just to shut us up...as for this draft sucking i must hardily disagree, sure it was a drab draft we couldnt trade up or down without giving away to much and i applaud this regime for standing its ground and not giving in...

Grabbing a guy like ward is gutsy and will either pay big or end in him being waived if he holds up combined with haden ward is that guy that dynamically changes our secondary...

This draft should translate successfully on the field as opposed to looking great on paper and being in reality a flop...all our picks are potential starter quality yes even colt if he had to be..

I wasnt aware that any regime has ever listened to us or has ever grabbed anyone we as fans wanted just to shut us up...as for this draft sucking i must hardily disagree, .....

I'm not saying this draft class sucked, in fact I am happy as hell to see us draft DB's and a power RB - that's my dream draft actually. I was hinting that it wasn't a sexy enough splash for this regime to win over the 'softening fan base' we now have here. The McCoy pick took care of that and gave EVERYONE an icon to point to and be happy with. It was in essence the 'Sexy Pick' that the theme of this thread claims we didn't make. We did.

Personally I don't have any loyalty to Holmgren beyond the fact that he's in charge of the home team.

He's not from here and has no real Ohio roots, but he's had some success in the league.

I hope he does well and I give him my optimistic support.

But each of us has some player or players we root for and sometimes they don't get the opportuinty we feel they deserve.

Then someone will say good riddance.

Fair enough.

If Holmgren brings a title to Cleveland great.

If he doesn't he's no more to me than Crennell, Davis, Savage, Policy or anybody else.

WSS

Ward is the key to the success of the draft. The perception is that he was a big reach at #38. However, if he plays the way Mangini & Ryan et al. believe he can play, then nobody will care where he was drafted. I'd rather have a reach at #38, than the two second-round busts we've had in Pool and Jones.

For those of you calling for Mays, all you need to know is that not only did Pete Carroll not draft him, he drafted Earl Thomas. Mays can't cover anybody and in this league that is bad news. He's Cato June: a college safety that translates to a LB in the pros.

Ward is tough, and we need toughness in the middle of the field. He just has to stay healthy and he'll be what we need.

I'm not saying this draft class sucked, in fact I am happy as hell to see us draft DB's and a power RB - that's my dream draft actually. I was hinting that it wasn't a sexy enough splash for this regime to win over the 'softening fan base' we now have here. The McCoy pick took care of that and gave EVERYONE an icon to point to and be happy with. It was in essence the 'Sexy Pick' that the theme of this thread claims we didn't make. We did.

Disagree

At # 38 McCoy is the "sexy" pick...at #38 Mays is the "sexy" pick

At #85 McCoy was a value pick

Well said! I knew I could count on you to keep things real. I am behind our team and hope our picks turn out great but I am not going to love the crap job that we did just because we have new management. The Ravens and the Bengals did a better job drafting then we did so it should be fun trying to beat them again this year.

Wait a minute I think maybe you liked this draft a little too much. I take that last statement back. :lol:

Mays can't cover anybody and in this league that is bad news. He's Cato June: a college safety that translates to a LB in the pros.

This is actually the only knock on Ward. Many doubt he has any cover skills.

But he's a fearless stick that will be very good against the run.....And I have to believe that is what Mangini was looking for.

So Hitler can we cheer when we score?

Can we heckel and boo when we suck?

Last I knew I contribute my money twords their salaries, sooooo as far as I'm concerned I'll talk all the shit I want.

maybe it unfair to put all blames on fans i mean it was the owner and owner hired people makeing all the calls for the last decade but no other owner in the nfl was so easily influenced by media and beer crazy fans the way Learner was (Both of them). Listening to all the monday quarterbacks was what did this team in and what i meant to say was dont be ticked off if the whole stadium is chanting for colt and you don't see him for a year or two. Remember we have proffesionals pulling the strings now. Not a retarted soccer slash football slash ect. team owner.

While the media and fans, here tend to kick and scream until they get their way (who doesn't?)...to think that all the previous coaching staffs since '99 were led to slaughter and manipulated by the media / fans is kind of ignorant. Every coach wants to win and succeed at his job. They are not....or should not be concerned with what the fans think when it comes to making decisions that will affect the end result. These past coaches have failed due to their own incompetence. If they acted based on the media / fans, input, well.....they must have doubted their own ability. They are the experts....not us. Nothing really ends here. Some fans will bitch when Delhomme plays bad, and chant for Colt. That's part of the game. The real question is....can Holmgren stand the heat, when the media / fans are crucifying him for unpopular decisions? That's where the previous coaches failed. The fans and media are not the ones to blame for the crap we have seen since 1999.

Archived