THE BROWNS BOARD

Jets Cut Alan Feneca

DAWGPOUND16

The Jets have reportedly released LG Alan Faneca.

The headline here reads "Jets release Pro Bowl G Alan Faneca." A Pro Bowler Faneca was in 2009, but he sure didn't play like it. Second-round pick Vlad Ducasse now looks to be a lock to start at left guard. Faneca, 33, should draw some interest, but won't approach the $7.5 million he was due from the Jets.

http://twitter.com/ManishMehta1/status/12743550627

Interesting to cut a pro bowler. If he was 30 instead of 33 I'd say by all means we should sign him. If he is willing to take a short 2-3 year contract I would have no objection with him becoming a Brown. Anything longer than that is a bad idea for a guy with a lot of miles on him

Interesting to cut a pro bowler. If he was 30 instead of 33 I'd say by all means we should sign him. If he is willing to take a short 2-3 year contract I would have no objection with him becoming a Brown. Anything longer than that is a bad idea for a guy with a lot of miles on him

Mangini convinced him to come to the Jets when there was no reason to go there.

According to Aaron Wilson of NationalFootballPost.com, the New York Jets have decided to release All-Pro guard Alan Faneca after unsuccessfully attempting to him for a pick in the first three rounds.

The Jets ran into trouble trading Faneca because his age and salary don’t mesh anymore. Faneca will be 34 during the 2010 season, but is due to make $7.5 million. That’s not unreasonable for a player of Faneca’s stature, but $5.25 million of that is guaranteed, and that’s where teams are running into issues.

It could also be that the Jets’ asking price was too high. Faneca is a great player, there’s no doubt about that, but there just aren’t too many 34-year old players worth a second or third-round pick.

Rex Ryan still claims that Faneca was never on the trade block, so it’s certainly possible that he’s not released and all these reports have missed the mark, but if he is released, it won’t take long for him to find a new home.

Offensive linemen are coming at a premium over the last few seasons, and Faneca is consistently one of the best. He’s not likely to receive the $7.5 million he’s scheduled to make this season, but a 4-year, $20 million deal with a lot of escalators isn’t out of the question — especially for a team in need of line help like his former team, the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Green Bay Packers, St. Louis Rams, or Detroit Lions.

There are several teams who could use a guy like Faneca, so don’t expect him to be a free agent for very long.

Archived