THE BROWNS BOARD

Larry Asante SS

Mr. T

yea idk if he makes the cut either, i guess it depends how he stacks up against adams, sorensen, and elam.. I assume one or two of those 4 will not make the final roster.

I dont understand why we wouldnt take Reshad Jones who has much more upside IMO, if its a guy who might not make the roster anyway why not pick the guy who actually has a chance to be a starter in the NFL?

Special Teamer.

No doubt.

I also think he could be better than a couple of special teamer safeties we had last year.

You have to remember, you don't just build a roster from the top down. The good teams spend a great deal of time building from the bottom up as well.

I was not impressed at all with his highlights. He really didnt do anything, he was late or missed all his tackles and didnt really seem like a ball hawk except for that one interception which was ok

He reminds me of a young abe elam, slow to react and slow to read he is a good tackler but just like elam he sets his tackles up at the cost of way to many extra yards gained to compensate for his slowness to react or to readjust to his misread...

The key thing i picked up in regards to this pick was he's a talented kid and IF he can be coached up, you might have something. McDonald was a 5th round pick, so you can get servicable guys who can see the field at those spots for sure. The big thing i DIDN'T like from the things i've heard about him is he can tend to miss tackles. I can safely say, i think we as Browns fans have seen FAR TOO MANY missed tackles over the last ten years.

I think he'll be special teaming a lot this season, if he makes the team. Looks like he's pretty athletic.

From Heckert during the press conference about Asante

Tom Heckert

“(Larry) Asante is a guy that obviously played some big time football, he started a lot of games there. He’s another tough kid. He’s a really good football player that we think can help on special teams. Just like with the other guys, he will battle at safety for playing time. We do think he is a good player. He played at a big time level of competition, which is always a nice thing to have."

I agree Cribbs. He looks like he's afraid of contact. It seems like we just drafted Brodney Poole. Too much standing next to the play once it's over.

After watching Larry start for three years, I can tell you he is not afraid of contact. Since he first started three years ago he has improved dramatically each year. He has gotten a lot better in coverage, but his strength is stopping the run. He has been criticized for a few things over the years, but never being soft or shy of contact.

I don't mean to gush...but i LOVE how all the Browns fans who know about players come out and give us additional insights on them. Very cool and part of what makes this site so damned awesome, IMO.

we can thank Aloysius for this one. :)

Looking like a whoopsie on this one eh? Stuff like this you hope to be able to coach up. Nice hit on the play....just dumb positioning.

Nice video, but we need to remember that this maybe how he has been coached. during the senior bowl game. I will give the man a chance, but if he turns out to be another Brodney Poole You will here me call for his head as well.

Nice video, but we need to remember that this maybe how he has been coached. during the senior bowl game. I will give the man a chance, but if he turns out to be another Brodney Poole You will here me call for his head as well.

If he's another Brodney Pool, he'll end up doing enough things to his OWN head. :)

Like i said , the biggest thing i loved out of this draft is we got some talented kids who it would seem could make our club and help us out. I love the talent of all the guys taken this year.

remember, we had to draft Brodney Poole fairly high, didn't we? Asante is more of a flyer.

2nd rounder if i'm not mistaken and Asante is absolutely a guy in which you hope he becomes an everyday player but probably will make the team based on his special teams play.

Rookie Safety Larry Asante Impresses Coaches at Browns Minicamp

by J Gatskie Correspondent

At pick No. 160 of the 2010 NFL draft, the Cleveland Browns selected big hitting safety Larry Asante from Nebraska. Although he doesn't have the elite draft status of fellow safety and teammate T.J. Ward, Asante was ranked higher in some publications and may end up a valuable member of the Browns secondary rotation.

Asante was a three year starter at Nebraska and averaged over 70 tackles per year. He was named First Team All Big 12 by the coaches and led one of the nation's top defenses. At 6'1", 215lbs he has ideal size for the strong safety position and is known as a secure tackler who diagnoses plays well.

He never missed a game due to injury and was remarkably consistent during his senior year. Asante had eight games with more than six tackles.

T.J. Ward reminds scouts of Bob Sanders with the way he explodes into tackles and intimidates. Asante has drawn comparisons to Adrian Wilson who is definitely not a head turner like Sanders, but is an excellent, complete NFL safety who is at his best near the line of scrimmage also.

In the fifth round, NFL teams do not necessarily hope to find potential rotation players, but according to Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Asante was extremely impressive at last weekend's mini-camp.

He says that Asante was prepared for both the classroom and the playing field and the coaches really liked him. Pluto says "there were whispers" already that Asante could push Ward for playing time. The Browns were "pleasantly surprised" with the one area of his game reputed to be a weakness, pass coverage.

If Asante continues to work hard and hone his coverage skills, the Cleveland Browns have landed a steal in the fifth round.

Ward was reputed "to be a bit overwhelmed" according to Pluto. It is way to early to to be concerned about Ward after one mini-camp, especially since it was his first one.

It would be a definite bonus for the Browns if both safeties, Asante and Ward, could develop into players with different skill sets, since they could obviously play them together.

It's early, but hopefully both Ward and Asante will continue to develop and vie for time on the field. The earlier they can get out there, the sooner they accrue needed real speed game experience. They can practice all they want, but nothing simulates a real game like one.

Glad to see him having a solid mini-camp. I thought for where we grabbed the guy, we got a value pick and was sort of surprised when our board went on the negative towards him.

It would be a definite bonus for the Browns if both safeties, Asante and Ward, could develop into players with different skill sets, since they could obviously play them together.

It's early, but hopefully both Ward and Asante will continue to develop and vie for time on the field. The earlier they can get out there, the sooner they accrue needed real speed game experience. They can practice all they want, but nothing simulates a real game like one.

i would love for them both to become eventual starters, even if it takes a year for them to learn it right. they would have great mentors in Elam and Adams and once the knowledge sinks in they should be upgrades.

i'd like to see Asante at SS and Ward at Free. they can both be effective up in the box and in coverage but right now i like Ward as my last line of defense. only if he gets all the concepts down etc though. playing him there would also keep him healthier than helping in run support would but they both fit the Mangini philosophy of versatile, interchangeable and tough.

if this actually works i can't even imagine. i love brutish DB's, they are always my favorites. two Eroccs blowing people up? what??!! this plan is ridiculous...in a good way. i can't wait to feel the noise of the impact in the stands and wince.

we can thank Aloysius for this one. :)

To be fair, Asante also forced a fumble in that game.

I cut that clip back in February to make a point about how Asante occasionally has 'WTF?' plays. More often that not, those plays are him committing overaggressive penalties. The clip above is an entirely different kind of mental error.

But my criticism was directed at people who were talking up Asante as a possible 2nd/3rd round pick. I'm perfectly happy with him in the 5th; at the very least, he should be a solid special teams player.

If Ward and Hardesty are players, then the draft is a success in my mind. That would make three long-term starters at need positions in the draft: S, CB, RB.

But if Asante can play, too? Wow, then you would be looking at the Browns getting 3/4 of a starting secondary for years to come. That's a coup by Heckert.

My gut feeling, though, says Ward plays right away while Asante is a special teamer for 1 or 2 years.

Regardless, both these guys love to put their hats on people. We all know how long it's been since we have had more than one guy in our defensive backfield who enjoyed doing that. Now we have at least three guys in Haden, Ward, and Asante.

No doubt.

I also think he could be better than a couple of special teamer safeties we had last year.

You have to remember, you don't just build a roster from the top down. The good teams spend a great deal of time building from the bottom up as well.

Agreed.............get more for the buck that way , and it also allows you to test other players cheaper , while shopping for the real deals .

To be fair, Asante also forced a fumble in that game.

I cut that clip back in February to make a point about how Asante occasionally has 'WTF?' plays. More often that not, those plays are him committing overaggressive penalties. The clip above is an entirely different kind of mental error.

But my criticism was directed at people who were talking up Asante as a possible 2nd/3rd round pick. I'm perfectly happy with him in the 5th; at the very least, he should be a solid special teams player.

sorry if i took ya out of context! ;)

Archived