THE BROWNS BOARD

Out of the year 2 guys, who do you think will emerge?

Bag O'Browns

After soaking in the draft, i was wondering who you guys think will take that next MAJOR step up from their rookie year? The natural choice is Massaquoi, as he was the most productive rookie, in terms of numbers. (you could argue and win that Mack was the best in terms of play)

Here's some bullet points on my thoughts on the year II guys...

*Massaquoi* - If he takes that next step up and show's himself to be a go to guy or near go to guy caliber WR, this will improve our passing game by leaps and bounds. Massaquoi so many times lasy year played like he didn't know what was going on in terms of coming back for the ball and simple things BECAUSE the game seemed to be moving so fast for him.

*Robiskie*- Lordy, did this guy have WAY worse then a year i expected out of him. He'll probably never be worth the second round pick we spent on him BUT you have to imagne, Brian's got a bug up his ass about how last year played out. For all this negative attributes, this guy CAN produce for our team. Sadly, having that washout first year basically makes this his rookie year if he significantly see's the field. I think he can be a player for us but lets just say, he's also a guy i wouldn't be surprised to see gone Travis Wilson style either....

*Veikune* - I consider myself a decent fan of the Browns and guys, i gotta tell you, i don't know if i saw this guy out on the field more than 4 times.(if you watch special teams like a hawk, perhaps you saw him more) When we drafted him, they said he had a high motor and just would be the kind of guy we would love as Browns fans. The coaching staff said they held him back on purpose , in hopes of protecting his development. I hope it works and he's my pick actually to take the biggest step up. Why? He's got nowhere else to go...AND hell, i'd like to see him do well.

*Bernard* - Had a great pre-season and then blew up again later in the year, after coming off the practive squad. I think he's a big big reason why Wimbley went bye bye. We'll see if he was a flash in the pan or a guy who can take that next step of promise and turn it into consistent production.

*Davis* - The savior! Boy, i don't think there was a Brown in recent memory, besides perhaps Ben Gay, who took the town by storm like this kid. Word on the street is he's gotten himself in tip-top shape and his shoulder is doing well. I know the bit we've seen out of him in PRE-SEASON, was nice. The few regular season carries he got we only ho-hum. With Jennings run-in with the law, JD may have gotten a break. I what i saw out of him but i really don't know what we'll get out of him, if anything.

*Francies* - Another player that i saw in preseason and i LOVED his aggressiveness. He didn't see too much regular season action and then hurt himself as well BUT i think he could fill a nice roll for this team, if he puts his mind to it. What i liked the best in the little i saw of him was how he'd get his hands in to try and bat the ball away. There's a feistiness or something, which i think could help him stick on this club. (i think he's more talented than McDonald but i'm not sure how much that is saying)

*Maiava* - Kaluka! Hell, it is fun to scream after a sack, anyway. He'll always be a good special teamer and showed me a lot more than i thought we'd ever see out of him his rookie year. He's the kind of guy you'll always dismiss....BUT then somehow he'll make a tough play and continue to do so. I don't know if he'll get a whole lot better but i like having him on our club. He's an above average special teamer and a decent developing LB. Not bad for where we grabbed him.

Out of all of these guys, team need wise, the wideouts need to get better and get better asap. Like i said earlier, personally, i'd love to see Veikune come out and surprise the hell out of us. I hate having draft picks crap out and as of now, he's a pretty big stink bomb. Francies, i'd also enjoy see getting better, although he's another one where i wouldn't be at all surprised if he fails to make the team.

Thanks for bringing up Francise.....kind of forgotten as of late....i think he has a chance to be better than average.

Veikune needs to show something in camp or we need to just wash our hands of him and chalk it up to the inevitable bad pick teams are going to make from time to time. As much as we don't like a blown pick, they are going to happen just as guys get injured.....just a part of the process.

MoMass....I like him. I can see him catching 60 balls this year.

I don't care if people want to classify him as a #2....you start catching 50-60 passes, that is #1 IMO.

As a old baseball coach, homeruns are great, but a line-up full of singles and doubles hitters works pretty darn well.

Not all that many years ago receivers weren't even classified as such.....Ozzie as an example wasn't a #1 receiver other than he was our #1 receiver for a decade.

Get open, make the catch, move the chains....I can't think of many times I was disappointed when a receiver was pulled down from behind 25-30 yards from the former LOS.

Robo....I am not that big a Buck fan anymore, but I can't believe the guy sucks. He had a good career in college playing in a good conference, against good corners. His day is a coach.....even if he sucks as some might claim, Robo has been coached up from a very young age....he knows how to play the game.

While his ceiling may be somewhat limited due to physical limitations, the guy isn't a slug. I don't see any reason why he can't make a step forward and be a positive contributor.

Davis....who knows, he has the talent. Back is one of those positions of opportunity. If you are given the chance, most(at that level) can produce....sort of like a closer in baseball....it isn't so much about how a player pitches that register saves, it's more about who the manager hands the ball in the 9th inning.

Bernard....another guy who needs to stay on top of things and hope he gets a shot with all the increased competition for a roster spot.

I expect Massaquoi, & Robiskie to blossom this year. Can you just imagine how much better it will be having a quarterback who isnt a puss and will cut loose of the ball and throw it downfield with accuracy.

Im getting pumped and ready to see the first game.

How bout Alex Mack, I think he's one of the biggest reason's we ran the ball so well late in the season.

I think Robiskie will be a good one, IMO he has better ball skills and better hands then MoMass. MoMass had an advantage last year because he's more mature physically, Robiskie struggled getting off the line of scrimmage; If he mature's physically he'll be a good one.

I think it will be another year or two before we see much of Veikune unless somebody gets hurt, he might get in on passing downs to pass rush but with Bernard and Gocong I dont know if will see much of him doing that either.

How bout Alex Mack, I think he's one of the biggest reason's we ran the ball so well late in the season.

I was basically taking Mack as a given, i think that kid is tough and gets the job done. If he can step up his game, we will run the ball down peoples throats and protect Delhomme and give the old man time to throw.

After soaking in the draft, i was wondering who you guys think will take that next MAJOR step up from their rookie year? The natural choice is Massaquoi, as he was the most productive rookie, in terms of numbers. (you could argue and win that Mack was the best in terms of play)

*Massaquoi* - If he takes that next step up and show's himself to be a go to guy or near go to guy caliber WR, this will improve our passing game by leaps and bounds. Massaquoi so many times lasy year played like he didn't know what was going on in terms of coming back for the ball and simple things BECAUSE the game seemed to be moving so fast for him.

*Robiskie*- Lordy, did this guy have WAY worse then a year i expected out of him. He'll probably never be worth the second round pick we spent on him BUT you have to imagne, Brian's got a bug up his ass about how last year played out. For all this negative attributes, this guy CAN produce for our team. Sadly, having that washout first year basically makes this his rookie year if he significantly see's the field. I think he can be a player for us but lets just say, he's also a guy i wouldn't be surprised to see gone Travis Wilson style either....

*Veikune* - I consider myself a decent fan of the Browns and guys, i gotta tell you, i don't know if i saw this guy out on the field more than 4 times.(if you watch special teams like a hawk, perhaps you saw him more) When we drafted him, they said he had a high motor and just would be the kind of guy we would love as Browns fans. The coaching staff said they held him back on purpose , in hopes of protecting his development. I hope it works and he's my pick actually to take the biggest step up. Why? He's got nowhere else to go...AND hell, i'd like to see him do well.

*Bernard* - Had a great pre-season and then blew up again later in the year, after coming off the practive squad. I think he's a big big reason why Wimbley went bye bye. We'll see if he was a flash in the pan or a guy who can take that next step of promise and turn it into consistent production.

*Davis* - The savior! Boy, i don't think there was a Brown in recent memory, besides perhaps Ben Gay, who took the town by storm like this kid. Word on the street is he's gotten himself in tip-top shape and his shoulder is doing well. I know the bit we've seen out of him in PRE-SEASON, was nice. The few regular season carries he got we only ho-hum. With Jennings run-in with the law, JD may have gotten a break. I what i saw out of him but i really don't know what we'll get out of him, if anything.

*Francies* - Another player that i saw in preseason and i LOVED his aggressiveness. He didn't see too much regular season action and then hurt himself as well BUT i think he could fill a nice roll for this team, if he puts his mind to it. What i liked the best in the little i saw of him was how he'd get his hands in to try and bat the ball away. There's a feistiness or something, which i think could help him stick on this club. (i think he's more talented than McDonald but i'm not sure how much that is saying)

*Maiava* - Kaluka! Hell, it is fun to scream after a sack, anyway. He'll always be a good special teamer and showed me a lot more than i thought we'd ever see out of him his rookie year. He's the kind of guy you'll always dismiss....BUT then somehow he'll make a tough play and continue to do so. I don't know if he'll get a whole lot better but i like having him on our club. He's an above average special teamer and a decent developing LB. Not bad for where we grabbed him.

Out of all of these guys, team need wise, the wideouts need to get better and get better asap. Like i said earlier, personally, i'd love to see Veikune come out and surprise the hell out of us. I hate having draft picks crap out and as of now, he's a pretty big stink bomb. Francies, i'd also enjoy see getting better, although he's another one where i wouldn't be at all surprised if he fails to make the team.

I think Robiskie has the highest ceiling and could make the biggest leap this year.

Many WRs have a "lost' first season. A quarterback that throws the ball where it should be is a big plus.

Zombo

I think Robiskie will be a good one, IMO he has better ball skills and better hands then MoMass. MoMass had an advantage last year because he's more mature physically, Robiskie struggled getting off the line of scrimmage; If he mature's physically he'll be a good one.

I think it will be another year or two before we see much of Veikune unless somebody gets hurt, he might get in on passing downs to pass rush but with Bernard and Gocong I dont know if will see much of him doing that either.

I just didn't mention Mack because IMO he has already stepped forward.

Sure, I would like for him to step forward even more and become great, but if he doesn't improve a bit, he is good enough to man the center for the next 10 years....we don't need a team of pro bowl players....we just need NFL solid players, and Mack is going to be every bit of that as is.

Mack could start for all by maybe 4-5 teams.

It is nice to see a lot of us thinking Robo is going to turn it around. Having Delhomme or Seneca here can't hurt any of the wideouts in terms of improving. I hope our hunch is correct about Robiskie.

i thought Francies was a big hitter last preseason. But based on his playing time last year and how we just drafted, i guess the coaches weren't impressed. Bummer. Turn the page.

QUOTE (Bag O'Browns @ Apr 25 2010, 02:40 PM) *

I think it will be Robiskie and Bernard. Bernard has shown flashes in that Pittsburgh game. He is promising.

i thought Francies was a big hitter last preseason. But based on his playing time last year and how we just drafted, i guess the coaches weren't impressed. Bummer. Turn the page.

I still think many coaches are reluctant to play rookies and i think this is sort of what happened with Francies. Mangini thought Poteat and his veteran abilities were of more value, last year at least. I think Francies is one of those guys who's got the talent level to play in this league but he hasn't gotten the mental aspect all the way down. I think we are still fairly thin at CB, so he could still be in their plans....

I still think there is hope for Robo. He remnnds me alot of the Giants Steve Smith. Both were taken decently high in the draft and both had very similar rookie years. And a lot of times WRs have non existent rookie years in fact it is more common IMO for a WR to have a bad start to there career then a great start. I can only name a handful of WRs that came into the league and had big years ... Randy Moss, Marques Colston, and Anquan Boldin are the 3 that stick out off the top of my head. With that being said I would love to see Robo catch somewhere between 30-50 balls for like 500-700 yards I would love to see MoMass catch 50-75 balls for 1000 yards ... but those may be tall orders. The two WRs though are the 2 I would like to see make the biggest steps from year one to two because in IMO thats where we need help the most.

Massaqoui kinda emerged last year. If we had more weapons around him and a QB who could actually throw the ball within 5 yards of a receiver he probably would've done a lot more. He is our future as the #2 receiver. We need to get a true #1 next to him to complete our WR unit.

Robiskie I think emerges this year. He is good and showed flashes last year but they didn't play him much for some reason. If the guy isn't a good special teamer so what? he's a good receiver and he needs reps b/c he is a good possession receiver type for this team in the future and an underated deep threat with great hands and leaping ability.

Benard could be a guy too as a situational pass rusher. He came on late in the year last season and we saw a lot more of Benard and Roth at OLB and less of the now departed Wimbley.

Veikune and Francies never played. Can't hit on all your picks but these two are on the high road to being misses. Kaluka Maiava I think is gonna be a good special teams player for us and perhaps nickel linebacker.

Robiskie I think emerges this year. He is good and showed flashes last year but they didn't play him much for some reason. If the guy isn't a good special teamer so what? he's a good receiver and he needs reps b/c he is a good possession receiver type for this team in the future and an underated deep threat with great hands and leaping ability.

I was just checking stats on Reggie Langhorne and his rookie year for us he caught 1 pass for the whole year. Reggie turned out pretty ok, so it can certainly happen! A few friends of mine are greatly disappointed we didn't draft a wideout. I'm hopeful this is because they like what they are seeing with Massaquoi, Robo and Stuckey.

well Heckert was adamant in interviews that's how he (they) felt about them and his track record so far has been straight-shooting.

i envision Robo as a "Reggie Langhorn" myself, and that would be AWESOME if he can achieve that.

and if he and MoMass started practicing the "flying-high-5" slaughter/Langhorne style.....i'd probably forgive way more bad plays from them than they deserve (tip, guys).

really though, it would be awesome to see that again all the time.

BE and DA used to practice it a bit, and kinda pulled it off once in a game that i saw. Haden and E Wright should get on it too. :)

Archived