THE BROWNS BOARD

Information overload

The Gipper

I haven't been too much commenting on here on the various threads about the Browns draft picks. There is so much info being posted that it is nigh on impossible to read it all. Suffice it to say that I watched the entire proceedings on Friday and Saturday but missed all but the last hour or so of the Thursday draft show. So, instead of playing on The Browns Board I was watching the draft. Plus, I took Sunday off from both ventures (no, not because I am some fundamentalist that refuses to do anything on Sunday. I just was doing other things like going to see my kid at school and watching a movie)

Nevertheless, here are my very brief and totally uninsightful takes on the Browns draftees:

1. Joe Haden. The Bungee man. He went up and down in his evaluation. At least amongst the pundits. Face it, as the #7 overall pick he HAS to step in right away as a starter at corner.

2. TJ Ward. Another need pick. But Kiper et al said he was a "reach". I don't care if he was a reach. I just don't want him to be a bust. In reality, Haden needs to start in lieu of McDonald, and Ward needs to start in lieu of Elam or Adams or whoever we have at safety. If he can't by the middle of the season, then yes, he will have been a reach.

3. Montario Hardesty. This is the pick that concerns me the most. Not the guy himself necessarily, but what the Browns had to do to get him. They traded two whole picks plus their own pick in the same round to move up to get him.....he's a guy that has been injured, and who I doubt teams other than the Browns were clamoring to take. I think they probably could have got him with their regular pick in that round for sure and not had to trade the other choices to get him. He better be worth it. This does remove the troubled Chris Jennings from the picture.

4. Colt McCoy. Hell, the Browns had to take him at the very back end of the third round. I mean, sure, he was not a priority. If he was they would have grabbed him earlier. But if he was going to be gift wrapped for him at #85 you had to take him. And, by the way, he had more production as a collegiate than any of the other QBs taken ahead of him. I guess the worst knock on him was that he was an inch or two short. Well, so were Joe Montana, Brian Sipe, and Drew Brees. If he is any good he'll manage despite being a little short for some tastes.

5. Shaun Lauvao. He fits a position of needed depth on the O Line. Being an offensive lineman from Arizona State, we casual fans know little about him. If the Browns scouts like him, who are we to argue. We need a guy at his position.

6. Larry Asante. Why does my gut tell me this guy is going to be some kind of stud? It is a totally irrational feeling. A pure hunch. Maybe its the name, but I think he will produce big.

7. Carlton Mitchell. Can't complain about this pick. The pundits like him and say he may be the Browns steal of the draft. Hell, he could step in for us right now. Those ahead of him right now on the depth chart certainly do not have a much better resume, if any at all, over this guy.

8. Clifton Geathers. This guy screams out for being given a crazy nickname. His uncle was "Jumpy" Geathers who played the D Line in the NFL a long time. Plus his father and brother played in the NFL. He has the genes. And apparently he has the build. He could be a Bust or a Beast. Either way, I like the pick. He was only a 6th rounder. Worth the chance.

Like I said, I thought originally we were supposed to have 11 picks, but we traded so many for that RB. Was he worth losing two long shot 7th rounders to take? Hopefully he will be Montario Hardesty...an NFL force, and not "Ontario" Hardesty, an NFL reject that may only have Canadian League talent.

6. Larry Asante. Why does my gut tell me this guy is going to be some kind of stud? It is a totally irrational feeling. A pure hunch. Maybe its the name, but I think he will produce big.

Hah, I feel the same way. You may be right that it is just his name sounding like a household name or something, but I too have that same hunch that for some reason this kid will be a gamer.

Hah, I feel the same way. You may be right that it is just his name sounding like a household name or something, but I too have that same hunch that for some reason this kid will be a gamer.

I agree some guys just have that name that just sounds good and just sounds like they are destined to be great. Larry Asante for some reason is one of those names and just sounds cool. whats better is his nickname is the Assasain! Cant think of a better nickname for a safety.

Is it the "Asante" in the Asante Samuel and our Rookie that has u guys a bit excited ?

I agree some guys just have that name that just sounds good and just sounds like they are destined to be great. Larry Asante for some reason is one of those names and just sounds cool. whats better is his nickname is the Assasain! Cant think of a better nickname for a safety.

Asante Claus is coming to town ! BOOM !

Archived