THE BROWNS BOARD

What if Jake has a Pro Bowl year in 2010?

kosar_win

Remember 2007? We had just drafted Brady Quinn and were looking for Charlie Frye or Derek Anderson to hold the reigns until Quinn was ready to take over. After one game (and even before), people were calling for the "Quinn Era" to begin. Then the high-scoring Bengals-Browns game happened and DA turned 2007 into a Pro Bowl performance.

Now I don't want to dwell on the mis-management and disaster of the past and I'd ask that this thread avoid talking about DA and Quinn, may they rest in peace.

Instead, I want to ask: What if Jake Delhomme has a Pro Bowl season?

Most people on this forum (see Zombo's post on rules about Colt McCoy) are concerned that when/if Jake starts throwing interceptions, fans will start calling for the McCoy Era to begin. But what if the opposite happens? What if Jake has a Pro Bowl season? Let's say he throws enough interceptions to leave some people skeptical as to his future productivity as our starting QB. Will we fall into line behind Jake? Will fans split down the middle into JD fans and MC fans?

I was not happy with the division in Browns nation during the DA-Quinn debacle and hope that it does not happen again.

Remember 2007? We had just drafted Brady Quinn and were looking for Charlie Frye or Derek Anderson to hold the reigns until Quinn was ready to take over. After one game (and even before), people were calling for the "Quinn Era" to begin. Then the high-scoring Bengals-Browns game happened and DA turned 2007 into a Pro Bowl performance.

Now I don't want to dwell on the mis-management and disaster of the past and I'd ask that this thread avoid talking about DA and Quinn, may they rest in peace.

Instead, I want to ask: What if Jake Delhomme has a Pro Bowl season?

Most people on this forum (see Zombo's post on rules about Colt McCoy) are concerned that when/if Jake starts throwing interceptions, fans will start calling for the McCoy Era to begin. But what if the opposite happens? What if Jake has a Pro Bowl season? Let's say he throws enough interceptions to leave some people skeptical as to his future productivity as our starting QB. Will we fall into line behind Jake? Will fans split down the middle into JD fans and MC fans?

I was not happy with the division in Browns nation during the DA-Quinn debacle and hope that it does not happen again.

If Jake has a Pro-Bowl season, I will be happy as hell. Thats it. I want wins.

Gotta agree, if Jake does well it bodes well for the team. I'll take Jake having a pro-bowl year if it means our team is winning. If it just means ole Jakey is doing well, then perhaps we can look to see if we could trade him for something of value to make the TEAM win.

I would love to see jake have a stellar year or even two or three, it would be cool for him to end his nfl career that way as a celebrated cleveland brown..but as reality sits in he will be lucky to still be one piece by the end of the year;)

If Jake has a Pro Bowl season, it really doesn't change anything.

The goal is probably to play Jake as long as possible and then hand over the reigns to Colt or whoever else we pick up, when they're ready.

The longer Colt has time to sit on the bench and learn, the better. If we can win some football games in that time period, that's icing on the cake, and would increase confidence in our management/FO.

I'm a Browns fan first. I don't care who's under center as long as we're winning football games.

1. Don't whine for Colt. He's a third round pick. He's not ready. He's not going to take us to the Super Bowl this year. He CAN learn from watching. Delhomme and Wallace have experience, and if we start winning with one of them then just accept it. And if Jake throws two interceptions in the first game and someone call for "Colt" ... I'm going to punch them

2. If there are any pictures of him out there of him grabbing other guy's crotches, dressed like a Village Person, or simulating fellatio ... We petition H & H to trade him and never speak of him again.

3. I don't know if he's considered good-looking or not, but the first non-chick to comment on his looks gets punched twice and banned.

4. He's not the saviour. He's a guy who might turn out to be a good QB. We are going to run, we are going to play tough defense, we are going to let Jake and our coaching staff teach our young WRs how to play the game at this level. I have been saying this for a decade: WE WILL WIN THE DIVISION WHEN WE HAVE A BETTER DEFENSE THAN THE RAVENS AND STEELERS AND NOT BEFORE. This isn't the NFC West. You have to out-bully the bullies to win this division. No QB is the saviour. He's just a guy that is learning a postition. First time we give up 20 or more points this year and someone blames the QB for the loss and cries for Colt ... they get punched.

5. No Cliques. Support the guy under center. You are certainly entitled to an opinion that one QB is better than the other ... but if you make it your life's mission ... you are gay. If there is a Colt Faction they will be jettisoned off to start their own website just like the Quinn Faction. If you are one of the guys that cheered when Anderson got hurt .. you are gay. If a guy is not raping chicks in bathrooms or throwing his glass at his date ... he's probably a good dude who's trying hard for the team. Yes, I'm talking to you, future Jake Haters. If he sucks in the first game and you are ready for the "Colt Era" because we have "nothing to lose" ... punched in the throat.

Zombo

The analogy on this that is perhaps (and hopefully) more applicable is that of the Kurt Warner/Matt Leinert analogy. Warner had been thought to be too old and washed up in St. Louis. He was considered no better than a backup with the Giants, then picked up by the Arizona Cardinals to be the veteran "interim" QB for the Cards while Leinert took a half a season or so to learn the QB position and be ready to step in. Well, 5 years later, the washed up, pathetic Warner was leading the Cardinals into the Super Bowl.

You just never know.

If Jake has a good year, it's just that much more Colt can learn & some more time to process it.

It's a good situation here now.

Mike

Guest birddog1

If he has a good year, and I think he will, it's a win/win for everybody. Right now McCoy is saying and doing the right things. This kid was drafted in the third round, not like Quinn who we traded back into the first to get. I think anytime you select a QB in the first round there is immediate pressure to start. Also, the current regime has a lot more backbone than the last group, they know what they want and that's how it is going to be.

I believe it will all depend on Colt McCoys progression. If in 2011 the Browns believe Colt is ready he will play. Just like when the Bengals had John Kitna who had a pro bowl type year and then without hesistation still moved to Carson Palmer because that was their plan because they thought Palmer was ready. If the Browns don't believe he is ready then they will stick with Delhomme another year and go with Colt in 2012.

If Jake plays well for the next 4-5 years, Colt becomes our Kolb....if he is as good as Kolb.

In this mix we are also forgetting Wallace....he is next in line....if anyone comes in to spell Jake, Wallace is the guy.

Holmgren drafted him as well and brought him here.

Why do you think he did that??

• 2 weeks later...
If Jake plays well for the next 4-5 years, Colt becomes our Kolb....if he is as good as Kolb.

In this mix we are also forgetting Wallace....he is next in line....if anyone comes in to spell Jake, Wallace is the guy.

Holmgren drafted him as well and brought him here.

Why do you think he did that??

I do believe that Holmgren said that Wallace is a back-up no matter what. I would say that for this year it ill be wallace replacing Jake for any reason. But in 2011 and beyond, I think it will be Colt. Jake will give us what he can and then hopefully Colt will make a smooth transition. Lets just hope they do this right

I do believe that Holmgren said that Wallace is a back-up no matter what. I would say that for this year it ill be wallace replacing Jake for any reason. But in 2011 and beyond, I think it will be Colt. Jake will give us what he can and then hopefully Colt will make a smooth transition. Lets just hope they do this right

I really think people are discounting Seneca too much, in terms of having any chance at getting significant playing time. You know for a fact, if Delhomme, craps out, he's the guy next in line and he actually could play well and take control of this team. Perhaps he is just a back-up as many of us think he could be....BUT.....he's going to come to play and show the best of what he's got. This is this guys first legit shot at really perhaps having a chance to start. Delhomme had a rocky year and if he's slow coming out of the gate, i just cannot see Mangini willing to be patient with a 35 guy who could be done. The best guy will play and because of his career Delhomme has the leg up but that leg is pretty darn wobbly in my eyes.

Holmgren will be willing to accept whoever EM chooses as QB. He's the coach and he's got to play the guys HE thinks will do the best for the team he's coaching.

I really think people are discounting Seneca too much, in terms of having any chance at getting significant playing time. You know for a fact, if Delhomme, craps out, he's the guy next in line and he actually could play well and take control of this team. Perhaps he is just a back-up as many of us think he could be....BUT.....he's going to come to play and show the best of what he's got. This is this guys first legit shot at really perhaps having a chance to start. Delhomme had a rocky year and if he's slow coming out of the gate, i just cannot see Mangini willing to be patient with a 35 guy who could be done. The best guy will play and because of his career Delhomme has the leg up but that leg is pretty darn wobbly in my eyes.

Holmgren will be willing to accept whoever EM chooses as QB. He's the coach and he's got to play the guys HE thinks will do the best for the team he's coaching.

If Wallace is the man then he is the man. I don't care. I def don't want another qb Controversy. I just want a QB that doesn't suck and can throw the ball more than 2 yards WITHOUT IT GOING TO THE OTHER TEAM

I would love to see jake have a stellar year or even two or three, it would be cool for him to end his nfl career that way as a celebrated cleveland brown..but as reality sits in he will be lucky to still be one piece by the end of the year;)

Now wait a minute!!!!! I for one have a lot of faith in our new oline. Jake will have the protection that he needs as he stands like a statue in the pocket. Will he have players who can get open? Now that is another question. And if Jake does well I am 100% behind him at least for this season. Then if Mangini decides to go with Colt next year then I will be 100% behind Colt.

Jake is a mere piece of the puzzle... If he is to succeed he'll need the other 10 players to do their jobs...

I still wonder about our receiving corps... Somebody in that unit has to bring their A game if we, as a team, are to be successful....

Also, I agree that if we are to win our division our defense must rise to the occasion... We play in a defense dominated division and must be able to stand toe to toe with the Steelers, Ravens and Bengals......

Peace

T.Dawg

If Wallace is the man then he is the man. I don't care. I def don't want another qb Controversy. I just want a QB that doesn't suck and can throw the ball more than 2 yards WITHOUT IT GOING TO THE OTHER TEAM

I don't think it'll be a controversy. If Delhomme is outplayed in preseason or show's he done, that is that. It isn't a case of two youngsters battling, it is more a case of two older guys trying to show they deserve a chance. I think we are all with you on a QB being able to execute a simple play. I think everyone besides perhaps Ratliff in this bunch can do that!

Archived