THE BROWNS BOARD

Adalius Thomas Realesed

next2nothing

Patriots let go of Adalius Thomas

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 26, 2010 10:07 AM ET

The Patriots finally put linebacker Adalius Thomas out of his misery.

On Monday, the team cut the malcontent, according to Mike Reiss and Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Thomas arrived in New England amidst much fanfare. The Patriots looked like the perfect fit to use his versatility after a successful stint in Baltimore, but his play steadily declined in his three years in New England.

He recorded 14.5 sacks in three seasons, breaking his arm midway through the 2008 campaign just after his best stretch of play in New England. He was a useful piece to the defense, but not worth his huge salary. Thomas didn't win enough one-on-one matchups and clashed with Bill Belichick in 2009.

The Jets were a logical landing spot for him earlier in the offseason, but may be overstuffed with Jason Taylor now in the fold.

Should we go after him or focus on our young guys?

I dunno, I've been reading a lot on some Pats forums. Seems like the guy is a personality nutcase. Good in the right system, but a cancer in the wrong system. Probably not the kinda guy we want in our locker room.

Well, he was good with the Ravens under DC Rex Ryan. How about with the Browns under DC Rob Ryan?

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the Ryan brothers essentially coach the same system?

Hell, he could end up with the Jets under Rex, and give some payback to the Pats for the release.

Archived