THE BROWNS BOARD

BROWNS DEFENSE

ATENEARS

Defensive Line:

Nose Tackle:

Starter: Shaun Rogers: Considered the Browns best defensive player and is an athletic marvel. He is the team's best penetrating defensive lineman and might be more effective at defensive end.

Backup: Ahtyba Rubin: Very effective at filling the gaps in run defense and has the confidence of Rob Ryan.

Defensive Tackle:

Starter: Robaire Smith: Excellent player who had 62 tackles and 1.5 sacks last year in return from Achilles tendon injury.

Backup: Brian Schaefring: Promising rookie last year had 12 tackles and 1.5 sacks.

Defensive End:

Starter: Kenyon Coleman: Disappointing season with only 38 tackles and 1.5 sacks, Browns definitely could upgrade.

Backup: C.J.Mosley: Also a player the Browns could be looking to upgrade post-draft, only had 18 tackles and no sacks.

Backup: Clinton Geathers: Huge defensive end prospect from South Carolina who has tons of potential but needs a lot of work to be a viable NFL player.

Linebackers:

Outside Right:

Starter: Matt Roth: Awesome late season pickup who tallied 28 tackles and four sacks, the Browns traded Kameron Wimbley because they had Roth.

Backup: Marcus Benard: Rookie pass-rusher burst onto the scene with 14 tackles and 3.5 sacks, the Browns will be counting on him to spell Roth and provide a pass rush this season.

Outside left:

Starter: Chris Gocong: Acquired from Philadelphia along with Sheldon Brown and projects as the potential starter on the outside where he can do what did best in college: Rush the passer.

Backup: David Veikune: Rookie from Hawaii, tried to convert to linebacker last year and did not see the field much. As a second-round pick, the Browns are hoping to get something out of him this year.

Inside Linebacker:

Starter: David Bowens: Versatile veteran who can man either inside or out and had 71 tackles and 5.5 sacks last year. Considered a leader of this defense.

Backup: Jason Trusnik: Came over in the Braylon Edwards trade and surprised everybody by being a player. Hard nosed, versatile backer who can do a little bit of everything. Had 56 tackles and 2.5 sacks.

Backup: Eric Barton: Former starter had serious neck injury and surgery and current status is unknown.

Inside linebacker:

Starter: Scott Fujita: Free agent pickup from New Orleans who can play inside or out. Had 58 tackles and one sack last year.

Backup: D'Qwell Jackson: Former league leader in tackles is just not well suited for the 3-4 and gets lost in the wash. Unlikely to be with team at start of season.

Backup: Kaluka Maiava: Ex-USC linebacker became a valuable special teams player and was solid when called upon on the inside with 45 tackles and 2.5 sacks.

Backup: Blake Costanzo: Special teams star provides depth in case of injury, led team in special team tackles.

Secondary:

Strong Safety:

Starter: Abe Elam: Former Kent State product has legal issues, led team in tackles but Browns drafted two rookies at his position.

Backup: Nick Sorensen: Strictly a special teams player.

Backup: T.J. Ward: Big hitter from Oregon who is a secure tackler. Ward struggles in coverage and has battled injuries.

Backup: Larry Asante: First-team All-Big 12 safety who is a big hitter and has stayed injury free. He also has trouble in coverage.

Free Safety:

Starter: Mike Adams: Versatile player who filled four roles last year, Adams had 69 tackles last year, Browns looking to upgrade at this position.

Backup: Ray Ventrone: Special teams ace who is competent, but nothing special.

Right Cornerback:

Starter: Eric Wright: Excellent young corner who had four interceptions, 14 passes defensed, and 65 tackles.

Backup: Brandon McDonald: Former starter was benched twice last year and will lose nickel job this year to rookie Joe Haden, needs fresh start somewhere else.

Backup: Gerard Lawson: Primarily a special teamer since Wright never leaves field.

Left Cornerback:

Starter: Sheldon Brown: Former Pro Bowler with Philadelphia is 31 and solidifies Browns secondary, had 51 tackles and five interceptions last year.

Backup: Joe Haden: Rookie from Florida was considered by many the best cornerback in the draft. Had eight interceptions in his career at Florida and projects as the Browns nickel back this year.

Backup: Coye Francies: Rookie saw very limited time last year with only four tackles.

browns%20defense.jpg

from Source: Bleacher Report

Abe Elam .................... Mike Adams
Eric Wright .......................................................................... Sheldon Brown
Matt Roth .... David Bowens .... Scott Fujita .... Chris Gocong
Robaire Smith ... Shaun Rogers ... Kenyon Coleman

OR THIS:

TJ Ward .................... Sheldon Brown
Eric Wright .......................................................................... Joe Haden

So, guys, help out a fellow-Browns fan who played soccer instead of football:

I don't understand the distinction above between nose tackle and defensive tackle in a 3-4 defense. Isn't there just one tackle, the nose tackle, in a 3-4? And then two ends on each side?

I also don't understand the difference between free safety and strong safety, but that should be easy to look up.

Why do you guys think D Jackson will be the back up for Bowens??? I'm sorry, but Jackson should start over Bowens. I was not impressed by him till very late in the season.

I was not wowed by Bowens at OLB but I was re-watching the pittsburgh game the other day and bowens (who was inside at the time) was in on almost every big play. I saw him sack Ben a couple times, stop a runningback on 3rd and short, defend a big pass at the end of the game and countless other plays. He was money that game

Eric Wright .......................................................................... Joe Haden

I was not a big fan of moving Sheldon Brown to Safety, but Hot-damn, I'm liking that Defensive Secondary right there.

Replace Coleman with some solid play and we have ourselves a nice defense. Can we squeeze Rubin in alongside Rogers in Coleman's spot?

So, guys, help out a fellow-Browns fan who played soccer instead of football:

I don't understand the distinction above between nose tackle and defensive tackle in a 3-4 defense. Isn't there just one tackle, the nose tackle, in a 3-4? And then two ends on each side?

I also don't understand the difference between free safety and strong safety, but that should be easy to look up.

Not sure why a "defensive tackle" is listed. In the 3-4 the only DT is the Nose Tackle, the other 2 defenders are Defensive Ends.

The strong safety is called that because they line up on the offense's strong side (ie opposite the tight end).

There are also differences in size and responsibilities, but that gives you an idea of layout.

this is how I envision it

front 3: Smith, Rogers, Coleman. With rubin and Rogers splitting time at NT and Rogers playing end from time to time

LB: Roth and gocong on the outside with fujita and bowens inside

Safeties I have Ward at FS and abe elam, sheldon brown SS. late in the season I think asante will be starting at SS

CB I have Haden and Wright with Bmac in for nickle and sheldon brown rotating in.

I personally think Sheldon brown is the key to this whole defense being very very very good.

Is there a reason you have listed a NT, DT, and DE, when we really have a NT, LDE, and RDE?

The source is listed where that article was taken from, it was put up for discussion. With the draft and converting college prospects as well as free agents, undrafted players and others of 4-3's to 3-4's it's not a bad discussion piece to list them either or both ways.

With that said, who is out there to unseat Coleman? Does D'Qwell Jackson fit into this mix?

I think the DB's are set, and instead of Sheldon Brown being the 'key', such as Dawgfanforever88 suggested, I see Haden and how quickly he develops as being the key to make Sheldon Brown versatile in unseating a Safety spot.

Not sure why a "defensive tackle" is listed. In the 3-4 the only DT is the Nose Tackle, the other 2 defenders are Defensive Ends.

The strong safety is called that because they line up on the offense's strong side (ie opposite the tight end).

There are also differences in size and responsibilities, but that gives you an idea of layout.

I think it's just messed up nomenclature. DT and NT are sometimes used interchangeably although they may not refer to the same type of player. Anyway, assuming there's a reason...I'll take a stab at it.

The NT is a zero technique player meaning he lines up head up on the center. The 2 DE's line up as 5-techniques which means outside shoulder of the tackles. That said, they aren't always in that configuration. If the line is shifted ("over" shift to the strong side or "under" shift to the weak side) then the alignment can change. The 0-technique nose now might be a 1-technique (in the A gap) or a 2-technique (inside shoulder of the guard). The lineman previously over the tackle may now shift over a guard with a rush OLB dropping onto the line (essentially looking like a 4-3). The question is do they sub a DT or do they still use a DE. Here's a diagram where you'll notice numbers over the OL. Those are the "techniques".

As per the other parts of the lineup...I think you'll see a safety tandem of Elam and Ward or Adams and Ward. In the old days a strong safety was a bigger guy who covered the TE and the Free Safety was a guy who played centerfield. Nowadays, they both have to do a bit of both. I think that the makeup of the starting backfield has more to do with how good Haden is rather than anything else.

I was not a big fan of moving Sheldon Brown to Safety, but Hot-damn, I'm liking that Defensive Secondary right there.

Replace Coleman with some solid play and we have ourselves a nice defense. Can we squeeze Rubin in alongside Rogers in Coleman's spot?

You could move rogers outside and play Rubin.....I think we are wasting a large degree of rogers talent as a fireplug in the middle...let him get in the backfield like MD Perry did and disrupt some things before they start.

How about this for a bizarre question:

If the Cavs can actually put a lineup on the floor where every position is filled by a guy that is 6'8 or 6'9 why couldn't the Browns put a defense on the field that consists of 8 linebackers and 3 DBs?

Its just one of those mad scientist questions.

If the Cavs can actually put a lineup on the floor where every position is filled by a guy that is 6'8 or 6'9 why couldn't the Browns put a defense on the field that consists of 8 linebackers and 3 DBs?

Because we would never control the line of scrimmage as 320 LB Offensive lineman push back four or five yards on every play and we go 0-16 without one team attempting a pass on us all year.

Because we would never control the line of scrimmage as 320 LB Offensive lineman push back four or five yards on every play and we go 0-16 without one team attempting a pass on us all year.

I am not saying that an 8 linebacker scheme should be a base defense, but what about on an occasional play, like a 3rd and long?

You could move rogers outside and play Rubin.....I think we are wasting a large degree of rogers talent as a fireplug in the middle...let him get in the backfield like MD Perry did and disrupt some things before they start.

I get the feeling we will move Rogers outside and play Rubin much more than anticipated. I believe we aren't done yet though either, I think we still have a few big bodies to bring in, or possibly acquire.

We can always wait to pick-up a salary cap casualty from the wire once teams are forced to make cuts.

I think Chris Palmer tried something like that it was called th....th...... hold on I can't stop laughing......the........UFO defense!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :lol:

Oh god I'm glad Mangini and Holmgren are here.

im not convinced of that, mop.

i know im the minority....but we have all youth there, and am confident in this coaching staffs ability to get the most out of those guys. in a run first offense with (reportedly) marginal QB play, a vet isn't going to help translate into wins....

let the youngins take their lumps now so we're set in 2 years.

Archived