THE BROWNS BOARD

Deangelo Smith

steel88

I feel like there were quite a few Browns fans that wanted him last year as a rookie but he went to Dallas. I believe he was cut before the season though. Probably more of a battle for a final roster spot type of guy, not someone that will see the field much, especially being a CB behind Haden, Wright, Brown, and McDonald.

Deangelo Smith was actually a brown last year for a brief period of time. He was signed at the end of the year when mangini was playing musical chairs with the bottom end of our roster when the injuries started to amount at the end of the year. I believe it was week 11 or 12 then was released a week later. He is a local boy from columbus, ohio i believe he went to Independence High School in Columbus then went to play at UC. Like ClevelandBigDawg said he is more of a bottom end of the roster guy if he sticks. Good news is more competition at the corner postition in training camp and another player who could help to make sure that we no longer have to see hank got beat or brandon Mac wear the orange and brown again.

Deangelo Smith was actually a brown last year for a brief period of time. He was signed at the end of the year when mangini was playing musical chairs with the bottom end of our roster when the injuries started to amount at the end of the year. I believe it was week 11 or 12 then was released a week later. He is a local boy from columbus, ohio i believe he went to Independence High School in Columbus then went to play at UC. Like ClevelandBigDawg said he is more of a bottom end of the roster guy if he sticks. Good news is more competition at the corner postition in training camp and another player who could help to make sure that we no longer have to see hank got beat or brandon Mac wear the orange and brown again.

Independence is near Cleveland...and I don't remember this guy.

I think I read somewhere earlier in the week where he posted on Facebook that he was excited to be coming back to Cleveland. Apparently social networking has become a lobbying platform for these young players.

Cleveland Browns make minor roster move

By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer

April 28, 2010, 6:11PM

BEREA -- The Browns claimed defensive back DeAngelo Smith off waivers from the Detroit Lions and waived defensive back Matterral Richardson.

Smith was a fifth-round pick of Dallas in 2009. He was released by Dallas on Sept. 5 and claimed by the Browns. The Browns waived Smith on Sept. 16 and he joined Detroit two months later.

Cleveland Browns make minor roster move

By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer

April 28, 2010, 6:11PM

BEREA -- The Browns claimed defensive back DeAngelo Smith off waivers from the Detroit Lions and waived defensive back Matterral Richardson.

Smith was a fifth-round pick of Dallas in 2009. He was released by Dallas on Sept. 5 and claimed by the Browns. The Browns waived Smith on Sept. 16 and he joined Detroit two months later.

Mangini must like something about him if he brought him in twice ... good practice player.

Zombo

Here was very brief explaination on the pick. Perhaps his versatilty is why the Browns like him...

Pick Analysis: The former Bearcat is a zone cover corner with good awareness. Smith has a good feel for reading routes and is an aggressive ballhawk in coverage. The Cowboys may move Smith to safety due to his physical presence on the field.

Sometimes all it takes for guys is the rest place to make a difference. (if the talent is there, which it could be for this kid) Troubles inbetween the ears can make or break a kid too.

Archived