THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns 2010 Depth Chart

ATENEARS

Tony Grossi's blog: Cleveland Browns 2010 depth chart still lacking at some positions

By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer

April 28, 2010, 3:52PM

CLEVELAND -- The first official 2010 Browns depth chart won't be released by coach Eric Mangini until a few days before the first preseason game Aug. 14 against Green Bay.

Here's a calculated guess at what it would look like right now after the completion of last weekend's draft and heading into the minicamp season:

Offense

WR -- Josh Cribbs, Chansi Stuckey, Jake Allen

LT -- Joe Thomas

LG -- Eric Steinbach, Billy Yates, Pat Murray

C -- Alex Mack, Eric Ghiaciuc

RG -- Floyd Womack, Shawn Lauvao

RT -- Tony Pashos, John St. Clair

WR -- Mohamed Massaquoi, Brian Robiskie, Carlton Mitchell

TE -- Ben Watson, Robert Royal, Evan Moore, Greg Estandia

QB -- Jake Delhomme, Seneca Wallace, Brett Ratliff, Colt McCoy

FB -- Lawrence Vickers, Peyton Hillis

RB -- Jerome Harrison, Montario Hardesty, James Davis, Chris Jennings, Thomas Brown

Defense

LE -- Kenyon Coleman, C.J. Mosley, Derreck Robinson

NT -- Shaun Rogers, Ahtyba Rubin, Brian Schaefering

RE -- Robaire Smith, Clifton Geathers, Titus Adams

LOLB -- Matt Roth, David Veikune

LILB -- David Bowens, Eric Barton, Jason Trusnik, Titus Brown

RILB -- Scott Fujita, D'Qwell Jackson, Kaluka Maiava, Blake Costanzo

ROLB -- Chris Gocong, Marcus Benard

LCB -- Eric Wright, Joe Haden, Gerard Lawson, Ramzee Robinson

RCB -- Sheldon Brown, Brandon McDonald, Coye Francies

FS -- Abram Elam, Mike Adams, Ray Ventrone

SS -- T.J. Ward, Larry Asante, Nick Sorensen

Now for a few points about this depth chart.

• There is an obvious need for a solid third offensive tackle. Lauvao started 12 games at left tackle and four at right tackle his last two seasons at Arizona State, but is not considered a tackle candidate in the NFL because of his size (6-3) and shorter arm length. This position is virtually non-existent in free agency at this point.

• The Browns have expressed confidence in their receiving corps, but a veteran pickup seems inevitable.

The free agent pool is shallow with Terrell Owens and Lavernues Coles at the top. Others include Kelley Washington, Joey Galloway and Greg Lewis. GM Tom Heckert was with Philadelphia when Lewis entered the league as an undrafted free agent with Philadelphia in 2003.

There is some speculation in Dallas the Cowboys might trade Patrick Crayton, but it's not likely to happen until they make sure Dez Bryant gets through training camp healthy.

• Maybe the Browns feel they have enough receiving threats at the other positions when you consider the abilities of Watson, Moore and Harrison in the passing game. There are also the WildDawg options involving Cribbs and Wallace.

• Key restricted free agents Vickers, Harrison, Roth, Jackson and Elam still have not signed their one-year contract tenders and have remained absent from the offseason conditioning program.

• It's possible the Browns could move Rogers to right end and make Rubin the starting nose tackle. Rogers could eventually receive an NFL suspension for his gun-related arrest at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport last month.

• Theoretically, the linebackers could line up anywhere. The only ones pretty much tied to one position are Barton and Jackson.

• Mangini likes to use his safeties interchangeably. Both starters have to be adept at playing close to the line and playing deep. But Ward's coverage skills at Oregon were suspect, so he may be kept "in the box" or in intermediate coverage areas to ease him into his rookie season and take advantage of his hard hitting style.

• Would the Browns shift the 31-year-old Brown to free safety to fill the dual purpose of putting more experience at safety and getting Haden on the field immediately? Over the draft weekend, Mangini said, "That's not the thought process going into this."

Tony Grossi's blog: Cleveland Browns 2010 depth chart still lacking at some positions

By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer

April 28, 2010, 3:52PM

CLEVELAND -- The first official 2010 Browns depth chart won't be released by coach Eric Mangini until a few days before the firshttp://thebrownsboard.com/forums/style_images/ip.boardpr/folder_editor_images/rte-list.gift preseason game Aug. 14 against Green Bay.

Here's a calculated guess at what it would look like right now after the completion of last weekend's draft and heading into the minicamp season:

Offense

WR -- Josh Cribbs, Chansi Stuckey, Jake Allen

LT -- Joe Thomas

LG -- Eric Steinbach, Billy Yates, Pat Murray

C -- Alex Mack, Eric Ghiaciuc

RG -- Floyd Womack, Shawn Lauvao

RT -- Tony Pashos, John St. Clair

WR -- Mohamed Massaquoi, Brian Robiskie, Carlton Mitchell

TE -- Ben Watson, Robert Royal, Evan Moore, Greg Estandia

QB -- Jake Delhomme, Seneca Wallace, Brett Ratliff, Colt McCoy

FB -- Lawrence Vickers, Peyton Hillis

RB -- Jerome Harrison, Montario Hardesty, James Davis, Chris Jennings, Thomas Brown

Defense

LE -- Kenyon Coleman, C.J. Mosley, Derreck Robinson

NT -- Shaun Rogers, Ahtyba Rubin, Brian Schaefering

RE -- Robaire Smith, Clifton Geathers, Titus Adams

LOLB -- Matt Roth, David Veikune

LILB -- David Bowens, Eric Barton, Jason Trusnik, Titus Brown

RILB -- Scott Fujita, D'Qwell Jackson, Kaluka Maiava, Blake Costanzo

ROLB -- Chris Gocong, Marcus Benard

LCB -- Eric Wright, Joe Haden, Gerard Lawson, Ramzee Robinson

RCB -- Sheldon Brown, Brandon McDonald, Coye Francies

FS -- Abram Elam, Mike Adams, Ray Ventrone

SS -- T.J. Ward, Larry Asante, Nick Sorensen

Now for a few points about this depth chart.

• There is an obvious need for a solid third offensive tackle. Lauvao started 12 games at left tackle and four at right tackle his last two seasons at Arizona State, but is not considered a tackle candidate in the NFL because of his size (6-3) and shorter arm length. This position is virtually non-existent in free agency at this point.

• The Browns have expressed confidence in their receiving corps, but a veteran pickup seems inevitable.

The free agent pool is shallow with Terrell Owens and Lavernues Coles at the top. Others include Kelley Washington, Joey Galloway and Greg Lewis. GM Tom Heckert was with Philadelphia when Lewis entered the league as an undrafted free agent with Philadelphia in 2003.

There is some speculation in Dallas the Cowboys might trade Patrick Crayton, but it's not likely to happen until they make sure Dez Bryant gets through training camp healthy.

• Maybe the Browns feel they have enough receiving threats at the other positions when you consider the abilities of Watson, Moore and Harrison in the passing game. There are also the WildDawg options involving Cribbs and Wallace.

• Key restricted free agents Vickers, Harrison, Roth, Jackson and Elam still have not signed their one-year contract tenders and have remained absent from the offseason conditioning program.

• It's possible the Browns could move Rogers to right end and make Rubin the starting nose tackle. Rogers could eventually receive an NFL suspension for his gun-related arrest at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport last month.

• Theoretically, the linebackers could line up anywhere. The only ones pretty much tied to one position are Barton and Jackson.

• Mangini likes to use his safeties interchangeably. Both starters have to be adept at playing close to the line and playing deep. But Ward's coverage skills at Oregon were suspect, so he may be kept "in the box" or in intermediate coverage areas to ease him into his rookie season and take advantage of his hard hitting style.

• Would the Browns shift the 31-year-old Brown to free safety to fill the dual purpose of putting more experience at safety and getting Haden on the field immediately? Over the draft weekend, Mangini said, "That's not the thought process going into this."

I think we badly need a vet WR to come in and help us. Cribbs has no business being a starting WR. I really would like either Kelly Washington or Kevin Curtis.

I would also love to see B-Mac have a bounce back year and I think he could when he is moved from a starting CB o a nick/dime defensive back. And if he can't hack it I hope he gets familer with the phrase "whould you like fries with that?" :D

From what I've been reading Ward is considered a free safety while Asante is the strong safety...

2010 could have Haden & Brown at the corners with Ward & Asante at the safetys...

Has any NFL team had a complete changeover in its defensive backfield from one season to the next?????

Peace

T.Dawg

From what I've been reading Ward is considered a free safety while Asante is the strong safety...

2010 could have Haden & Brown at the corners with Ward & Asante at the safetys...

Has any NFL team had a complete changeover in its defensive backfield from one season to the next?????

Peace

T.Dawg

Is Eric Wright going to be playing checkers on the sideline? No, barring a trade, Eric Wright will be starting in 2010.

Eric Wright is an average or a bit above average corner on a weak secondary... He has potential but hasn't had a pro bowl season yet...

This years roster could be an almost complete turnover.. We were 5 - 11 for a reason...

The backfield could see Delhome, Hillis and Hardesty......

The offensive line could add Pashos, Lauvao and Watson......

Cocong and Fujita could be additions to the linebackers....

Also a WildDawg formation of Williams, Cribbs and Harrison with possibly Mitchell being used to spread the field....

Theres a possibility of 12 new players out of 22...

I'm not saying that all the pickups will become automatic starters but the potential for a huge makeover is definately there...

In addition, Harrison, Davis, Hillis, Hardesty and Vickers make up a solid running stable... Some interesting combinations along with some creative playcalling could prove to be very successful.... We should have fresh legs at any part of the game....

I think a veteran needs to be added to our receiving corps, which on paper looks like our weakest link......

Peace

T.Dawg

I think the point of what Mangini likes to do with his LBs is to have them be this interchangeable. That's the whole point. I am going to guess that the starting four are Bowens, Fujita, Roth and Gocong. None of those guys are named D'Qwell Jackson.

As for the DBs, I suspect that Haden and Brown will emerge as the top two. I don't think Wright is as good if there's better depth. I'm just guessing about that. Compared to McDonald, Wright was all-world. Bottom line is that our secondary was woeful in its toughness and tackling. We're now upgraded.

Just my two cents.

Jackson is our best ILB, he starts.

If Jackson starts, our D is in real trouble. A 3rd round pick would be a steal for the Browns FO. Realistically, a 5th.

We'll save a ton of money on bleach getting those grass stains off the ass of uniforms.

If Jackson starts, our D is in real trouble. A 3rd round pick would be a steal for the Browns FO. Realistically, a 5th.

We'll save a ton of money on bleach getting those grass stains off the ass of uniforms.

LOL. you're right though, Jackson was late to the ball and sloppy on his assignments. The D looks good to me with the exception of Elam. i don't like seing him at the top of a positional chart, this is still an area of need to me.

On the other side of the ball, I am also expecting to see Evan Moore get more than the depth chart would suggest here. He causght some awesomely badly thrown balls last year!

WR depth goes without saying - I don't think too many CBs in the league fear our receiving corps right now.

On the other side of the ball, I am also expecting to see Evan Moore get more than the depth chart would suggest here. He causght some awesomely badly thrown balls last year!

I'm with you on this one Howie, if Royal gets more action than Moore I will be very unhappy, and think Dabol must travel to Berea on the Short Bus.

Also loving the look of our RB depth, am getting the same feeling about Hardesty having watched some clips that Lions coach Schwartz has been getting from Jahvid Best quoted as saying "Some people watch adult videos on their computer," Schwartz said. "I go to YouTube and watch Jahvid Best highlight clips.

With our DB's think will just have to wait and see who goes where see who ends up playing the safety positions, Browns had Texans Safety John Busing trying out Link, so we are still trying things at tht position even after the Draft.

I'm with you on this one Howie, if Royal gets more action than Moore I will be very unhappy, and think Dabol must travel to Berea on the Short Bus.

Also loving the look of our RB depth, am getting the same feeling about Hardesty having watched some clips that Lions coach Schwartz has been getting from Jahvid Best quoted as saying "Some people watch adult videos on their computer," Schwartz said. "I go to YouTube and watch Jahvid Best highlight clips.

With our DB's think will just have to wait and see who goes where see who ends up playing the safety positions, Browns had Texans Safety John Busing trying out Link, so we are still trying things at tht position even after the Draft.

I agree re Royal, I don;t think we got what we had hoped for. His hands were awful. Re Moore, I didn't pay much attention to his blocking, we all know what he did when free'd from the line!!! I am guessing that will be his develoment area this off season - hope the kid gets much more action - I think he has a Browns heart.

Archived