THE BROWNS BOARD

Top 2nd round picks according to Nationalfootballpost.com

DawgPoundPitt

its nice that somebody actually thinks we made some good picks in this years draft. I was getting tired of seeing Mel Kiper's C draft rating.. He can't just admid that his predictions sucked.. but anyway, this wes bunting guy obviously did not pay attention to the last few games of the season last year if he "expects Hardesty to come in and carry the load from day one. " Why doesn't Harrison get any love? He is number 3 all time in yds in a single game..

Wow! both of our 2nd rounders getting some love! That is funny because those people who didn't like our draft pointed to those two guys as reasons why. I trust Mangini/Heckert and I'm pumped about this year's class.

And that guy was gushing over Hardesty and he and I agreed with everything I thought I saw in him. He's got good feet and he has great vision. Especially for a college kid he has great vision. Very Jamal Lewis like to me. An I hope he's right about Ward if he pans out we will have solidified our secondary on one draft with Haden and Ward.

WOW!

The "experts" really didn't approve of those two picks at all BUT based on everything i've seen and read, they seem to be high quality talented kids. I don't know if the plan is for Hardesty to come in and get a lot of carries straight away but he's certainly someone i wouldn't bet against. The highlight package i saw from him showed me a strong runner with an eye for the goal.

I'm also very excited about TJ Ward. This guy can put the hit on people and having a guy back there like that is a MAJOR upgrade for our Browniers. Love it!

This browns draft at first glance looks rather low key and dull but i think the guys we grabbed are exactly what mangini was looking for and precisely what we need to get on the road to being competitive..its a very deceitful draft we missed berry but gained joe haden as it appears we couldnt trade up because MH wouldnt give the whole farm and our future away to get bradford as savage would have likely done and yet we still grab a possible future franchise qb in the 3rd...

Not bad, not bad at all i believe our defense is going to be solid and our running game should be powerful this year but our passing game at least currently has room for much concern all the way from daboll's newbie 101 playbook and seemingly impatient temperament, to several of the skill position players themselves...we have many unanswered question marks on offense and on if last years draft class is going to step it up this year and make a difference.. regardless i am ready for some browns football! ;)

Nice post.

These guys might not have been the big names, but coming from established roles at big time schools will be a plus. I still don't get the Veikune pick from last year....seems like Mangini learned his lesson though and drafted some real players. Save the projects for later on.

I think what I like the most about the article is that the fella talks about Ward's 'instinct' when all we've been hearing is how the kid can hit. Now I'm no Phil Savage but isn't instinct and hard hitting what makes Poulamalu so damn good? You can't go wrong with those two attributes. Oh, and the fact that he only highlited 6 players and two of them were ours, that makes me feel pretty damn good!

PS. F**K Pittsburgh!

I think what I like the most about the article is that the fella talks about Ward's 'instinct' when all we've been hearing is how the kid can hit. Now I'm no Phil Savage but isn't instinct and hard hitting what makes Poulamalu so damn good? You can't go wrong with those two attributes. Oh, and the fact that he only highlited 6 players and two of them were ours, that makes me feel pretty damn good!

PS. F**K Pittsburgh!

Troy Polamalu is a hell of a lot more than instinct and hard hitting. If it were that easy there would already be 10 Troy Polamalu's in the league.

Troy Polamalu is a hell of a lot more than instinct and hard hitting. If it were that easy there would already be 10 Troy Polamalu's in the league.

I'm sure there is more to him like smarts, heart, and effort; but I'm making a generalization. Getting a hard hitter with instinct isn't as easy as it sounds. The only ones left that I can think of are

Sharper

Reed

Troy

Bob Sanders

If there are more go ahead and add them but my point is, Ward seems like he has all the basic, god-given abilities to be a great Safety. Much like Troy who despite my hatred of the Steelers, may be the best safety I have ever seen play when he's 100%. Jon Lynch changed the position once, and Troy has done it again. Ward along with Eric Berry might be the first generation of that new evolution. I sure hope so.

Excellent thread! Didn't many have Hardesty and Ward going in the 3rd round simply because of injury concerns? If they stay healthy, these players should easily have strong 2nd round value, I would think. I mean, if Holmgren, Heckert, and Mangini like them that much (giving up picks in Hardesty's case), I'm sure they've got amazing potential.

I'm sure there is more to him like smarts, heart, and effort; but I'm making a generalization. Getting a hard hitter with instinct isn't as easy as it sounds. The only ones left that I can think of are

Sharper

Reed

Troy

Bob Sanders

If there are more go ahead and add them but my point is, Ward seems like he has all the basic, god-given abilities to be a great Safety. Much like Troy who despite my hatred of the Steelers, may be the best safety I have ever seen play when he's 100%. Jon Lynch changed the position once, and Troy has done it again. Ward along with Eric Berry might be the first generation of that new evolution. I sure hope so.

And freakish athletic ability but I do agree with your post. I just think that Troy Steeler or not is on a entirely different wave length when healthy. He makes and has made some absolutely absurd plays over the years. He's a RARE, RARE breed.

Sharper

Reed

Troy

Bob Sanders

I think of Sharper more of a ball hawk then a hard hitting safety but thats just me.

Also its nice that this website gave some praise to the Browns but its a no frills website. For all you know the guy who wrote the article and/or runs this website (nationalfootballpost.com) is a Browns homer. It would be a lot cooler and credible if it were coming from ESPN, TSN, SI, or a site with some credibity. Personally I hope Ward pans out, but I think he was a huge stretch where he was selected and I won't be suprised if he is a bust.

After years and years of 2nd round guys that haven't contributed much (Thompson, Pool, Veikune, Jones) it will be refreshing to see TWO guys come in and contribute if Hardesty and Ward can live up to this guy's expectations.

I'll admit that I wasn't exactly thrilled with these two picks at the time. I wanted Golden Tate when we grabbed Ward and I was surprised to see the Browns trade away 3 picks to get Hardesty.

But then I went to the videotape. And I read the articles. And I listened to the Trinity's words about these guys.

Folks, we have some football players on our hands with Ward and Hardesty. Ward will be a presence in the run game and will be a headhunter over the middle as well. We haven't had a run-stopping safety for a loooong time and the last headhunter we had was probably Brian Russell who certainly was no Ed Reed. And Hardesty, holy crap is his highlight reel impressive. I've been telling my buddies who are Browns and Buckeyes fans that Hardesty is Beanie Wells without the fumbling. The running style is eerily similar to that of Wells: Downhill, ability to make guys miss in the open field, gets stronger as the game wears on.

I said before the draft that the second day would make or break the future of this team and regime. There was no question we were going to get an impact player at #7 with our needs (Berry or Haden or Thomas), but where we went from there was extremely important. Well, on Day 2 we got a starter at safety, a big cold-weather RB, a versatile offensive lineman who'll eventually start, and a QB that won about 45 games and completed over 70% of his passes in college. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Archived