THE BROWNS BOARD

Hardesty looking like a better pick everyday

mopaji

I took this from Cleveland Browns.com and it made me feel really good about this kid. He seems like a Thomas Jones with a Jamal Lewis running style. Nice pick up Manheckert!

Hardesty adds talent, leadership

Matt Florjancic, Contributor to ClevelandBrowns.com

Posted 4 hours ago

aaThe Browns not only drafted a running back in Montario Hardesty last weekend. They drafted a leader, too.

Whether it was back at New Bern High School in North Carolina or at the University of Tennessee, new Browns running back Montario Hardesty set the tone for the offense and his entire team.

With his constant dedication to the team and his desire to improve, Hardesty went from a small-town star to the No. 59 pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, something not surprising for those who knew him back home.

“You’re getting a hard-nosed football player that’s going to be one of the first ones to show up for practice, or workouts, or drills and one of the last ones to leave,” said New Bern head coach Bobby Curlings, an assistant during Hardesty’s time at the school. “He does everything that’s expected, plus more.

“He’s what everybody wants; he’s going to lead by example,” Curlings added. “He has a tremendous work ethic, but also, he’s a motivator. He can get his teammates to rally and do the things they need to do. If a teammate is not quite up to par, he doesn’t mind stepping up and being a leader to get that teammate headed back in the right direction. As good as he is as a football player, he’s an even better person.”

Hardesty ran for 2,002 yards as a senior at New Bern High School, after a 1,987-yard junior season. He was the Offensive Most Valuable Player in the 2004 Shrine Game of the Carolinas after gaining 55 yards and scoring 1 touchdown on 12 carries and returning 5 kicks for 136 combined yards.

Three years prior to appearing in the Shrine Bowl, Hardesty got the chance to play against a 2009 Browns second-round pick from Independence High School in Charlotte. Hardesty and New Bern lost to twice to Independence High School in the North Carolina 4AA state championship game.

“As a sophomore, he played varsity and helped lead us to the state championship for the first time in school history and again as a junior,” said Curlings. “As a sophomore, he started at corner and did a good job. He was given the duty of guarding Mohamed Massaquoi. He held his own and the next year, we switched him to running back and it took off from there.”

While Hardesty’s talent was what got him on the football field, it was his knowledge of the game and willingness to learn from mistakes that put him a leadership role.

“He just had an excellent football IQ,” said Curlings. “In our scheme, we usually let the center make all the adjustments as far as the offensive line goes and he grasped everything so quickly that we let him make a lot of the checks and a lot of the calls because he knew what everybody was supposed to do on every play from receiver all the way through to every position on the line and the quarterbacks as well. He just loved the game and learned as much of it as he could and his natural ability speaks for itself.

“He eats, sleeps and breathes it; he loves it,” Curlings continued. “If he’s not working out or practicing football, he’ll spend hours and hours watching game film and critiquing what he’s doing and scouting the opponent as well. He’s a student of the game.”

Though he has yet to take his first handoff in the NFL, by playing well for the University of Tennessee and getting drafted by the Browns, Hardesty is now a role model for his hometown of New Bern.

“It goes a long way,” Curlings said of Hardesty’s success. “In our community and some other places, people sometimes dwell on the negatives and like to tell people what they can’t do, but when they see people like Montario coming from the same neighborhood, going to the same schools, playing for the same teams all the way through and see him have the success that he’s had, it lets them know it is possible if you put in the time and dedicate yourself to the sport. It does a tremendous amount for our kids as well as all the younger kids that look up to him.”

i have some good friends i go to school with in charlotte who went to new bern high school when he was there. They said he was always really cool with everybody, and was extremely well liked based on his personality rather than football. He was the type of guy you could say hey to in the hall and he'd always respond with a "hey, how you doing" rather than a nod and keep going. I'm really excited about this pick as well, it's awesome to see the small town kids make it.

I have to agree. The more I see of Hardesty, the more I like. He runs a little too upright. I would like to see him behind his pads a little more. That said, he's tough. Real tough and I like that. He keeps the legs moving and he seems to run with great balance.

I have to agree. The more I see of Hardesty, the more I like. He runs a little too upright. I would like to see him behind his pads a little more. That said, he's tough. Real tough and I like that. He keeps the legs moving and he seems to run with great balance.

After he gets knocked on his ass a couple of times by some all pro linebackers he will learn to make the adjustment.

He is a nice pickup and I am happy with the moves by the Browns in picking him.

Cant help but to like this kid but honestly i like all our picks this year..i see some guys that will impact this team when they get their chance and im still hoping some of last years draft will rise to the occasion this year as well, if that happens we are going to turn some heads! ;)

Cleveland Browns rookie RB Montario Hardesty still following Jamal Lewis

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

April 30, 2010, 7:40PM

montario-hardesty-browns-rookie-colt-mcc

John Kuntz / The Plain Dealer

Browns running back Montario Hardesty takes a handoff from QB Colt McCoy

at Browns rookie minicamp Friday in Berea.

CLEVELAND -- Browns running back Montario Hardesty rumbled around rookie camp Friday wearing No. 31, following in the footsteps of Jamal Lewis here just like he did at Tennessee.

"I've known Jamal since I was a freshman in college," said Hardesty, whom the Browns traded up to get in the second round. "He was at some of the scrimmages and he kind of liked how I ran the ball and things like that. So he kind of took me up under his wing and told me some things about how to prepare myself for college and prepare myself for the next level."

Hardesty, who's an inch taller than Lewis at 6-0 and about 20 pounds lighter at 225, said he talked to Lewis throughout his college career and a little bit leading up to the NFL Combine. But he doesn't dare compare himself to the Pro Bowl back and former Volunteer, who rushed for 1,304 yards for the Browns in 2007 and stands 21st on the NFL's all-time list with 10,607 yards.

"I've seen Jamal play before and Jamal is a great running back," said Hardesty. "So, I'd be happy to live up to half the things he did in this league. But I won't compare what I do to him. I'll just try to do what I do on the field and let it come out in how I play."

Browns coach Eric Mangini also stopped short of comparing Hardesty to his mentor, but could've been talking about Lewis when describing Hardesty's style.

"On tape, I like the way he ran in terms of he's a physical runner, a punishing runner," said Mangini. "He enjoyed contact. I thought all of those things were real positive for any team and for this division. I also think he's got some good short area quickness and burst that some big backs don't necessarily have."

He acknowledged that he's not sure how that will translate to the NFL, but "I liked everything I learned about him in terms of his approach, his professionalism, his maturity."

After the Browns traded two fifth-rounders and a third to move up to No. 59 to take Hardesty, Browns General Manager Tom Heckert admitted that the Browns are hoping he can become their featured back, a complement to Jerome Harrison.

"That's what we've envisioned," said Heckert. "We'll see what happens. He's a very physical runner, but he's also not just a straight-ahead banger. He's got speed. He ran a 4.4 at the Combine."

Of course, the big question concerning Hardesty is his health. Three games into his freshman season, he blew out his anterior cruciate ligament and sat out the rest of 2005. In 2006, he underwent arthroscopic knee surgery and was limited to five starts. In 2007, he was hampered by a high ankle sprain, and in 2008, he suffered a stress reaction in his left foot that bothered him on and off. In 2009, he was healthier than ever and responded with 1,345 yards and 13 touchdowns. The yards ranked fourth in Vols history and was 119 short of the school record.

But he also played through a shoulder injury last season and reportedly withdrew from the Senior Bowl because of a cracked rib. The Browns' medical staff gave the team the green light, and the Browns felt he was a risk worth taking.

"I had to fight through some things early on, but I feel like I'm fully healthy now," Hardesty said. "I haven't really been hurt since I was a sophomore. I feel like I can be a team leader. I'm going to do whatever it takes to win."

Hardesty's coaches loved him.

"He's a do-it-all back," former Vols coach Phillip Fulmer told the Knoxville (Tenn.) News-Sentinel. "He can obviously run the football, he can protect, he's a great route-runner, he's fantastic in space, he can get the tough yards for you. I just think the sky is the limit for him."

Added former Vols running backs coach Trooper Taylor: "I had several teams call and ask me about him and about his character and what kind of kid he is, his toughness. I think the knock has been that he's been injured, but what I told them is that they'll be another team that gets a steal."

Hardesty doesn't profess to be the next Lewis, but his goals are lofty nonetheless.

"The Browns traded up to get me and I'm not going to let them down," he said. "I feel I'm an all-around back and I'll put a lot of heart and passion on the field. I want to be a star, and I'm going to work to be a star, definitely."

Thanks.....I was going to mention the Tennessee tradition of good running backs. Montario may have lost a bit in so far as his college career with the injury bug, but by all accounts and a solid SEC season behind him, he looks like he can carry that tradition in to the NFL.

To those who really haven't seen him play other than a game here or there or the highlight reels, the kid runs really hard...a lot like Lewis did or to put it in OSU terms, say Eddie George.

The kid is a solid, 1 cut runner. makes his one cut then just barrels forward.

I can see this guy getting the name "clock killer", because he will kill clock and move chains.

I can see the browns having many 7-8 minute drives a game, which is a good start towards winning football.

Cleveland Browns rookie RB Montario Hardesty still following Jamal Lewis

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

April 30, 2010, 7:40PM

montario-hardesty-browns-rookie-colt-mccoyjpg-c9a1e86d5fab84f4_medium.jpg

John Kuntz / The Plain Dealer

Browns running back Montario Hardesty takes a handoff from QB Colt McCoy

at Browns rookie minicamp Friday in Berea.

CLEVELAND -- Browns running back Montario Hardesty rumbled around rookie camp Friday wearing No. 31, following in the footsteps of Jamal Lewis here just like he did at Tennessee.

"I've known Jamal since I was a freshman in college," said Hardesty, whom the Browns traded up to get in the second round. "He was at some of the scrimmages and he kind of liked how I ran the ball and things like that. So he kind of took me up under his wing and told me some things about how to prepare myself for college and prepare myself for the next level."

Hardesty, who's an inch taller than Lewis at 6-0 and about 20 pounds lighter at 225, said he talked to Lewis throughout his college career and a little bit leading up to the NFL Combine. But he doesn't dare compare himself to the Pro Bowl back and former Volunteer, who rushed for 1,304 yards for the Browns in 2007 and stands 21st on the NFL's all-time list with 10,607 yards.

"I've seen Jamal play before and Jamal is a great running back," said Hardesty. "So, I'd be happy to live up to half the things he did in this league. But I won't compare what I do to him. I'll just try to do what I do on the field and let it come out in how I play."

Browns coach Eric Mangini also stopped short of comparing Hardesty to his mentor, but could've been talking about Lewis when describing Hardesty's style.

"On tape, I like the way he ran in terms of he's a physical runner, a punishing runner," said Mangini. "He enjoyed contact. I thought all of those things were real positive for any team and for this division. I also think he's got some good short area quickness and burst that some big backs don't necessarily have."

He acknowledged that he's not sure how that will translate to the NFL, but "I liked everything I learned about him in terms of his approach, his professionalism, his maturity."

After the Browns traded two fifth-rounders and a third to move up to No. 59 to take Hardesty, Browns General Manager Tom Heckert admitted that the Browns are hoping he can become their featured back, a complement to Jerome Harrison.

"That's what we've envisioned," said Heckert. "We'll see what happens. He's a very physical runner, but he's also not just a straight-ahead banger. He's got speed. He ran a 4.4 at the Combine."

Of course, the big question concerning Hardesty is his health. Three games into his freshman season, he blew out his anterior cruciate ligament and sat out the rest of 2005. In 2006, he underwent arthroscopic knee surgery and was limited to five starts. In 2007, he was hampered by a high ankle sprain, and in 2008, he suffered a stress reaction in his left foot that bothered him on and off. In 2009, he was healthier than ever and responded with 1,345 yards and 13 touchdowns. The yards ranked fourth in Vols history and was 119 short of the school record.

But he also played through a shoulder injury last season and reportedly withdrew from the Senior Bowl because of a cracked rib. The Browns' medical staff gave the team the green light, and the Browns felt he was a risk worth taking.

"I had to fight through some things early on, but I feel like I'm fully healthy now," Hardesty said. "I haven't really been hurt since I was a sophomore. I feel like I can be a team leader. I'm going to do whatever it takes to win."

Hardesty's coaches loved him.

"He's a do-it-all back," former Vols coach Phillip Fulmer told the Knoxville (Tenn.) News-Sentinel. "He can obviously run the football, he can protect, he's a great route-runner, he's fantastic in space, he can get the tough yards for you. I just think the sky is the limit for him."

Added former Vols running backs coach Trooper Taylor: "I had several teams call and ask me about him and about his character and what kind of kid he is, his toughness. I think the knock has been that he's been injured, but what I told them is that they'll be another team that gets a steal."

Hardesty doesn't profess to be the next Lewis, but his goals are lofty nonetheless.

"The Browns traded up to get me and I'm not going to let them down," he said. "I feel I'm an all-around back and I'll put a lot of heart and passion on the field. I want to be a star, and I'm going to work to be a star, definitely."

Outstanding article! Thanks for sharing; let's hope this kid pans out

Initially, i didn't necessarily think we needed to upgrade at RB via the draft, now i'm glad we did. I have a feeling this kid is going to find the endzone on some of those goaline situations. Slowly but surely we are rounding into a team with some weapons.

Archived