THE BROWNS BOARD

McCoy Might Play

Browns57

Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini doesn't rule out Colt McCoy playing in 2010

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

May 01, 2010, 2:57PM

UPDATED: 6:36 p.m.

Browns coach Eric Mangini doesn't rule out Colt McCoy playing in 2010.CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Eric Mangini didn't slam the door shut on rookie quarterback Colt McCoy playing in 2010 during rookie camp on Saturday.

He said he learned long ago from his mentor and former Ravens head coach Ted Marchibroda to "never say never and never say always. I don't know, I mean we'll see. I think what Mike [Holmgren] says is what we're anticipating happening, but you don't know. You don't know."

Holmgren told WTAM after McCoy was drafted that "he will not play this year. I repeat, he will not play this year." Later, in a press conference, he said, "things could change, but I don't expect him to play this year. We did not draft him necessarily to come in and play this year. Now, the final call will be Eric's and practice will determine certain things, but we have three quarterbacks already here that we feel very good about.

"The best thing that might be able to happen to him is that he just sits, watches, learns and makes the transition into the pro game."

But Mangini has always preached that he'll play the best man at every position regardless of how he came into the league or how long he's been there. He's seen too many unlikely success stories in his day to say "never" to McCoy, whose passion for the game is palpable even at rookie camp.

McCoy won the starting job at Texas as a redshirt freshman and started every game over the next four years, winning more games -- 45 -- than any quarterback in college history. His college coach, Mack Brown, said, "Colt could start for the Browns this season, but I'm glad he won't have to."

Of course, the plan is for the Browns to head into training camp with veteran Jake Delhomme as their starter, and the expectation is that camp will end that way.

"I don't necessarily look at it as a comeback [for Delhomme]," said Mangini. "I think I look at it as last year being more of the exception to what has been a very good and consistent career. We have those blips, all of us."

Mangini also said that the acquisition of three quarterbacks -- Delhomme, Seneca Wallace and McCoy -- doesn't spell the end for Brett Ratliff, acquired last season in the Braylon Edwards trade.

"I'm not opposed to carrying four quarterbacks and Mike's not opposed to that, Tom [Heckert] is not opposed to that so I think he's got a great opportunity," Mangini said. "He really did a good job in my time in New York with him.

"I think there are definitely some things he could've done better last year that he and I have talked about. It's important for him to come out and show that he's still improving, but that's my anticipation is that he will. We will just see how it falls after that."

He said keeping four quarterbacks is more about developing the less-experienced ones than not figuring on McCoy for 2010.

"It's not about Colt, it's just philosophical," said Mangini. "If you want to keep two, you can keep two, if you keep three that tends to be more traditional and I've kept four in the past. We kept four in New England at one point. We kept four in New York at one point. I am not opposed to keeping four here. I think if you get guys that have a chance, you try to hold on to them and keep developing them."

Jackson, others unsigned: None of the Browns' restricted free agents has signed his tender and it's unknown which will show up for organized team activities which begin May 17.

At least some of them have stayed away from the off-season program. The RFAs include D'Qwell Jackson, Jerome Harrison, Lawrence Vickers, Abe Elam and Matt Roth.

Jackson's agent, Brian Mackler, who's seeking a new long-term deal for Jackson, said Jackson hasn't participated in the off-season program "because he's not under contract."' He said he hoped the Browns would discuss a long-term deal after the draft.

Mangini admitted he has no idea how it will unfold.

"You want everybody here," he said. "I would love for all those guys to be here. If they're not then it gives an opportunity to some other guys to learn the system and get reps and do all of those things. So however it works out, it works out."

Rogers to end? Mangini said the Browns are still waiting to see how the legal process plays out before they'll know whether or not they have Shaun Rogers for the start of the season. He also said the Browns will take a look at him at right and left end. "I think [Ahtyba] Rubin did a nice job last year [at nose]. I'm excited about seeing his continued growth. I think he played well and I think he made a really strong case to continue to play and that's a good thing."

Lauvao inside: Third-round offensive lineman Shawn Lauvao, who played both guard and tacke at Arizona State, will work at both guard spots here. "He's also done some snapping in college," said Mangini. "It's not something he's done a lot of but we'll continue to work with him there. The important thing for a guy like that is to have flexibility be able to go in and do some work at center if need be."

Barton better: Mangini said linebacker Eric Barton, who underwent neck surgery last season, is doing well and participating in the off-season program.

"He's doing everything he can in addition to his rehab," said Mangini. "There haven't been any setbacks. He said he'll probably be at the OTAs, but won't take many reps."

I would be suprised if the Browns carried four qb's this year. I know it has been done but it seems like we would want that extra spot for somebody who might actually play in a game this season. Maybe one of our one million rb's or db's.

"At least some of them have stayed away from the off-season program. The RFAs include D'Qwell Jackson, Jerome Harrison, Lawrence Vickers, Abe Elam and Matt Roth."

If I had to pick 3 to re-sign out of those, it would be Jerome Harrison, Matt Roth, and Lawrence Vickers.

D'Qwell is good but Maiava played just as good as he did after he went down to injury, so we don't necessarily need him, but I'm sure he'd be good on another team.

Ratty is a mangini pet and from what we saw of ratty last year and based on the 2 QBs we already sent packing ratty shouldnt even be in the nfl to begin with beyond camp, between pet elam ,pet bowden and pet ratty it really gives me a deja vu feeling about mangini as a suspect evaluator of both talent and good decision making..i may have a hard time trusting or believing in many of his upcoming judgements and decisions...im really in a show me the money kind of mindset with him right now...he himself hasnt proven to the fans or his bosses that he has what it takes yet...and after last season he is very fortunate to have a chance at all...

As far as wanting to keep 4 QBs and developing both colt and ratliff at the same time are both in my mind the absurd type of babble i have grown to expect out of eric mangini honestly ...having to part with ratty will just be to hard to bare so we will leave his sucky arse leaching the bench and distracting from the development of a guy who could seriously be a starting qb....

So Mangini never says always or never which basically means nothing, and Kabot writes an article suggesting that means Colt will play? I guess the best way to get Mary Kay on your nuts is to be someone's backup.

Ratty is a mangini pet and from what we saw of ratty last year and based on the 2 QBs we already sent packing ratty shouldnt even be in the nfl to begin with beyond camp, between pet elam ,pet bowden and pet ratty it really gives me a deja vu feeling about mangini as a suspect evaluator of both talent and good decision making..i may have a hard time trusting or believing in many of his upcoming judgements and decisions...im really in a show me the money kind of mindset with him right now...he himself hasnt proven to the fans or his bosses that he has what it takes yet...and after last season he is very fortunate to have a chance at all...

As far as wanting to keep 4 QBs and developing both colt and ratliff at the same time are both in my mind the absurd type of babble i have grown to expect out of eric mangini honestly ...having to part with ratty will just be to hard to bare so we will leave his sucky arse leaching the bench and distracting from the development of a guy who could seriously be a starting qb....

I don't think Ratliff is without talent, his arm clearly is NFL caliber. What he's showed us a Browns fans though is basically glimpses of a less good Derek Anderson. Elam also isn't a bad player and in my estimation, surrounding him with other guys who can play will help him out. Bowden is a guy who is a stop gap player all the way. He's getting up there BUT is a NFL LB all the way. What i'm saying is, for the most part these guys can play or in Ratliff's case, show something worth taking a look-see at. Mangini though is FAR from the only coach who does this, most any coach does.

Whoa. Wait....is.....is that even possible?? :D

Ok, a less good version of what DA should be? (circa 2007) Or, perhaps better said, a kid with a big arm who doesn't put the ball where it is needed at points in times.

Elam also isn't a bad player and in my estimation, surrounding him with other guys who can play will help him out.

Surrounding any player with talent will help them out. If we surrounded every one of our players with talented players our whole team would be amazing.

Surrounding any player with talent will help them out. If we surrounded every one of our players with talented players our whole team would be amazing.

So Elam sucks? He isn't a guy who makes a lot of big plays but i don't see him as being the weak link in the defense. Adding people who are better than McDonald, is a helpful thing to Elam.

the only thing holding back the Colt is his own inexperience--the Rat won't hinder him at all as far as i can tell.

furthermore he might be a hell of a teammate for all we know.

is the Rat still eligible for the PS?

hell, the only thing holding back the Colt from starting in 2010 will be the Colt.

if and when he's ready nothing will keep him out of the starting lineup. the kid's a winner.

It was the Mark Sanchez deal...but that never stops the PD from publishing in erratum.

Cabbage Brain does it again. How do most of our reporters not check out any facts, its like they write whatever they want to prover their point; no matter how ridiculess. Its like they're trying to be the first to announce or report a big story ( when there's nothing there ) so they can be recognised and get out of here. But it ends up making them look like idiots, and Cleveland reporting as a joke.

Archived