THE BROWNS BOARD

Rob Ryan Wanted Wilson

Browns57

Jets coach Rex Ryan implies that twin brother Rob of Cleveland Browns wanted CB Kyle Wilson

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

May 01, 2010, 6:37PM

Associated PressJets coach Rex Ryan hinted that his brother Rob wanted cornerback Kyle Wilson with the No,. 7 pick. CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Jets coach Rex Ryan strongly suggested during his press conference today that his twin brother Rob, the defensive coordinator for the Browns, wanted Boise State cornerback Kyle Wilson at No. 7. The Browns selected Florida cornerback Joe Haden and Wilson fell to the Jets at No. 29.

Ryan didn't use Rob's name, but said, "There is somebody that I really know well for a long time that basically said that he was their guy and they picked a lot earlier than us. You can probably figure it out. That's who he wanted and then after practice, I'm like 'Yep. I guarantee you were right because this guy is the real deal.'"

While the Browns were on the clock, ESPN's Michael Smith, who was reporting from Cleveland, said that the Browns were debating between Wilson and Haden. Later, Browns General Manager Tom Heckert said that wasn't true.

Ryan's remarks came after saying that Wilson would be the Jets starting nickelback and that "he's a tremendous player.'' Other experts on draft day predicted the Browns would select Wilson, including NFL Network's Michael Lombardi. The Browns said they had Haden targeted all along.

A request for a response from Rob Ryan was declined by the Browns because Rex didn't use his name.

IMO, Haden will be a stud. People got turned off based on his combine numbers and seemed to forget how good a player he was at Florida. Don't get me wrong, I think Kyle Wilson has potential too, but I think we made the right pick.

Associated PressJets coach Rex Ryan hinted that his brother Rob wanted cornerback Kyle Wilson with the No,. 7 pick. CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Jets coach Rex Ryan strongly suggested during his press conference today that his twin brother Rob, the defensive coordinator for the Browns, wanted Boise State cornerback Kyle Wilson at No. 7. The Browns selected Florida cornerback Joe Haden and Wilson fell to the Jets at No. 29.

Who cares which player Rob Ryan wanted? This story is nothing more than NY media gobbleygook.

Archived