THE BROWNS BOARD

Which Game?

Browns57

A quick preview of the Cleveland Browns' 2010 game storylines

By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer

May 01, 2010, 11:50PM

Joshua Gunter / The Plain DealerRomeo Crennel will make his first appearance in Cleveland since being fired after the 2008 season when he arrives as the Kansas City Chiefs' defensive coordinator in the second week of the season.CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The completion of the draft means 95 percent of rosters are set. Now's the time to take a stroll through the Browns' 2010 regular-season schedule.

Game 1, at Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The NFL couldn't have done the Browns a bigger favor. Their 1-10 record in season home openers became an albatross that can best be lifted by opening on the road. Tampa Bay is mired in post-Jon Gruden rebuilding. The Browns will get their first look at quarterback Josh Freeman, the Bucs' franchise hope. Good draw for center Alex Mack, who gets to school rookie tackles Gerald McCoy and Brian Price in their first NFL game.

Game 2, home against Kansas City Chiefs

New Chiefs defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel makes his first return since being let go as Browns coach after the 2008 season. We will see safety Eric Berry -- the DB who got away -- up close. Josh Cribbs has got to like this matchup after taking two 100-yard kickoff returns for touchdowns in Kansas City last year.

Game 3, at Baltimore Ravens

This should be the first true test for the Browns' revamped secondary, as the Ravens intend to marry quarterback Joe Flacco to receiver Anquan Boldin. They also loaded up with two tight ends in the draft. This will be Donte Stallworth's first game against his former team, if he makes the final roster. With 355-pound Terrence Cody playing next to 340-pound Haloti Ngata in the center of the Baltimore defensive front, the Ravens have to guard against a grease fire breaking out.

Game 4, home against Cincinnati Bengals

Another stress test for the Browns' depth in the secondary. Carson Palmer figures to line up three-receiver sets of Antonio Bryant, Chad Ochocinco and perhaps rookie Jordan Shipley in ones slot with rookie tight end Jermaine Greshman in the other. The Bengals seem to bring out the best in the Browns' offense even though their defense is on the rise.

Game 5, home against Atlanta Falcons

Falcons making their first visit to Cleveland since the "Run, William, Run" game of 2002, when William Green was a Browns' rushing hero. Matt Ryan, Roddy White, Michael Turner and Tony Gonzalez form quite a formidable offensive unit. They've added cornerback Dunta Robinson to a suspect defense. We'll get a look at Corey Peters, the rookie defensive tackle whom the Browns wanted to take in Round 3 instead of Colt McCoy.

Game 6, at Pittsburgh Steelers

If he minds his manners and has his six-game suspension reduced to four, this would be Ben Roethlisberger's first game. Heinz Field will be pumped for his return, no doubt, but the Browns finally figured out to beat him last year. Now he'll be without his favorite receiver, Santonio Holmes.

Game 7, at New Orleans Saints

If there was an NFL rule against excessive celebration of a Super Bowl win, the Saints would be flagged. Presumably, they'll be over it by now. They've had some roster turnover -- Browns linebacker Scott Fujita's one of three defensive starters gone -- but Drew Brees' pinpoint passing game will be a huge test.

Game 8, home against New England Patriots

Coach Eric Mangini gets an extra week after the bye to prepare for master Bill Belichick. This marks two weeks of Hell Week for Mangini because coming into Cleveland right after the Patriots are ...

Game 9, home against the New York Jets

There are so many sidebar stories to this game -- all the ex-Jets, Braylon Edwards' return, a close look at Mark Sanchez, the Ryan Brothers' reunion, Mangini's former team -- that we anticipate Fireman Ed making the trip and tossing the coin in pre-game ceremonies.

Game 10, at Jacksonville Jaguars

This one will be hard to get up for after the previous two games. Then again, it's a chance for another road win. Once unbeatable to the Browns, the Jags have lost two in a row and three of the last four meetings.

Game 11, home against Carolina Panthers

Jake Delhomme's former team is the only franchise the Browns have never defeated. They've played only three times in games that counted. Carolina also has won each of three preseason contests. Will Jimmy Clausen be at quarterback for this one?

Game 12, at Miami Dolphins

Dolphins VP Bill Parcells seemed to have adopted Mangini last season when Mangini was suffering through a 1-11 start. At one point, Mangini began talking about Parcells a lot. Parcells then gave him a rousing endorsement when Mike Holmgren pondered Mangini's fate. Holmgren respects Parcells immensely and routinely calls him. "He's so grumpy, he always makes me feel better," Holmgren said.

Game 13, at Buffalo Bills

Another road game against a division cellar-dweller. Who knows whether new coach Chan Gailey will make something out of quarterback Trent Edwards, but this figures to be ugly in December. The Browns have won the last three meetings, two of which were by the touchdown-less scores of 8-0 and 6-3.

Game 14, at Cincinnati Bengals

Game 15, home against Baltimore Ravens

Game 16, home against Pittsburgh Steelers

Ingenius scheduling by Commissioner Roger Goodell. All three of the Browns' rivals will be angling for the division title and possible wild card berth. Will the Browns be in striking distance? Will Seneca Wallace be at quarterback by now? Will McCoy dress for a game?

I personally can't wait to see the final three game stretch. Although it is a brutal way to end it should show us exactly how far the Browns have come in the last year. The one thing I hear all the time is that our winning streak at the end of last year was due to us playing weak teams. This year that won't be the case. If we can roll off three straight going into the final three we could just shock the world and find ourselves close to a wildcard spot.

I'm hoping we are mathematically in the playoff race at week 14, that makes the season an unequivocal success in my mind. I agree that the last three games should show where we stand because all three of those teams should be in the playoff hunt.

If we can split games 3 and 4 it would also be a very positive statement early in the year.

I will be going to see the browns beat the bengals in cincinnati in december its been a few years since ive been to a game so i may grab pickup seats for a game in cleveland as well if things start getting loud and proud...

Otherwise even though i said i wasnt going to get the sunday ticket this year i already have and will be watching in big screen HD from the comfort of home..you guys didnt think i really meant it when i said no sunday ticket this year did you? ;)

I will be going to see the browns beat the bengals in cincinnati in december its been a few years since ive been to a game so i may grab pickup seats for a game in cleveland as well if things start getting loud and proud...

Otherwise even though i said i wasnt going to get the sunday ticket this year i already have and will be watching in big screen HD from the comfort of home..you guys didnt think i really meant it when i said no sunday ticket this year did you? ;)

Nope.

We have a big Tailgate Party planned for the Jets game. I also like Opening day as the stadium is more colorful with chicks wearing tube-tops and tank-tops, as the year progresses it's just fat grey haired men surrounding the sight lines.

I say that every year but yet I still have it! I did get rid of the baseball package though!

I don't intend to only post when it's Steeler related but I'm gonna. Why does everyone believe they've formulated this elaborate scheme to bring down the Steelers every time the two teams meet? Pittsburgh had a bad game, hell a bad season if you consider their ridiculous losing streak. Do you honestly believe that will continue to ring true considering the current history between the two teams? Yes the Browns and the Steelers for that matter really get up for the AFC North matchups but the Browns did not "figure out a way to beat the Steelers" they just beat the Steelers. Typically if you have something "figured out" it happens with a great deal of regularity no?

EDIT: Although if you had to pick a game I'd probably pick one in the middle of the season because that should be when everyone is settled under the new regime.

Yeah, the idea that we have figured out how to beat the Steelers is lunacy. The Steelers are a better team and that will be straightforwardly evident until we can consistently have a better record. Having a better record at the end of this coming year wouldn't even be enough by itself since I'm sure the Steelers have a tougher schedule.

I don't intend to only post when it's Steeler related but I'm gonna. Why does everyone believe they've formulated this elaborate scheme to bring down the Steelers every time the two teams meet? Pittsburgh had a bad game, hell a bad season if you consider their ridiculous losing streak. Do you honestly believe that will continue to ring true considering the current history between the two teams? Yes the Browns and the Steelers for that matter really get up for the AFC North matchups but the Browns did not "figure out a way to beat the Steelers" they just beat the Steelers. Typically if you have something "figured out" it happens with a great deal of regularity no?

EDIT: Although if you had to pick a game I'd probably pick one in the middle of the season because that should be when everyone is settled under the new regime.

If I was you, I would be more worried about that 6 game losing streak your about to have at the beginning of the season then what a few Browns fans are talking about.

We have a big Tailgate Party planned for the Jets game. I also like Opening day as the stadium is more colorful with chicks wearing tube-tops and tank-tops, as the year progresses it's just fat grey haired men surrounding the sight lines.

I was gonna come up for opening day, but maybe i should wait until I blend in more. Oh hell Im coming anyway optimism at its highest, packed stadium, rowdie crowd, and tube tops.

Every trend has to have a beginning right

Probably the home opener....it rarely gets better than a home opener....new season, new chance.

After that...

I get fired up for them all.

Right now I plan on going to KC, Cincy, Atl, NE, NYJ, Pitt.....I am debating on going to Tampa to see that game or go to Chicago with my wife who has a conference in Chicago that weekend....Probably opt for Chicago...I'll be ready for a cooler lake breeze by that time, and I love Chicago....might be my favorite American city......and I have been to Tampa a million times....almost like a 2nd home.

Probably the home opener....it rarely gets better than a home opener....new season, new chance.

After that...

I get fired up for them all.

Right now I plan on going to KC, Cincy, Atl, NE, NYJ, Pitt.....I am debating on going to Tampa to see that game or go to Chicago with my wife who has a conference in Chicago that weekend....Probably opt for Chicago...I'll be ready for a cooler lake breeze by that time, and I love Chicago....might be my favorite American city......and I have been to Tampa a million times....almost like a 2nd home.

My favorite american city is Cleveland, OH! The only place I have ever been where I can spend days on end partying anjd watching my teams while constantly surrounded by nothing but beer and rock and roll music! Cleveland really does rock!

If I was you, I would be more worried about that 6 game losing streak your about to have at the beginning of the season then what a few Browns fans are talking about.

You really don't understand the concept of a conditional suspension do you? How many times have we been over this? and last I checked we have 3 other more than capable QB's on the roster until he returns to the field. Pavo yes I won't disagree on that front but do you honestly believe that time is now? Seriously? I'm just amused by the overly confident state of the current Browns fan base. The Steelers had a bad run last season and the Browns capitalized. Kudos. However the team if anything is going to be stronger this season, yes even without Holmes. Big Ben will serve is 4 games and it will be business as usual. I'd guess a 2-2 record heading in to week 6. Any better and I'll be thrilled.

And FYI. It's "If I WERE you" but you knew that right?

a little off the wall, but week 12 against Carolina. I live about 15 minutes from bank of america stadium and have to hear Panthers all day every day. My brother is a panthers fan as well as many of my friends, so I'll be making a bunch of crazy bets i'm sure. I'm hopefully going to make it up there for the game with my brother.

Archived