THE BROWNS BOARD

Offseason Report

steven lourie

Check out this interesting offseason report I found, what do you think?

I don't agree. You can argue that you could have gotten Haden a few picks lower but if he's your guy, you aren't going to risk it and there's no one to say they didn't try to trade out.

He's bashing the Ward pick because he's "a 5th round talent". That simply isn't true. There are plenty of people who had him rated in the second round. He hates the Hardesty pick basically because he's not a QB. Get over it. You don't address every need in one or two rounds. Clausen wasn't Holmgren's guy. Just because this guy liked him that doesn't mean squat.

He actually likes the bottom of our draft starting with McCoy only because McCoy "plays the right position".

There's a reason this guy is writing this crap on the internet and not GM'ing or scouting somewhere. The fact is that whether or not you agree with the actual players, this draft made sense and that's really all you can ask for. We didn't just need players....we needed attitude and toughness. Is it possible that Hardesty or Haden or Ward don't work out? Certainly. That doesn't make them bad selections. The Browns stuck to their board (McCoy aside) and I cannot find fault with that. It's one man's opinion.

What do I think? I think the guy likes Clausen, has zero idea how to rate safeties, and surely is no fan (2nd string??) of Hardesty. Then he wonders why we didn't take a QB where we took Hardesty, but he thinks we played it well taking McCoy @ 85, who he doesn't like. Ok, color me perplexed, but who should we have taken at Hardesty's spot? McCoy?

I hate Mockies. They're all batting below 50%, so whatever they write means shit to me.

Looks to be some Stooler lover, who's greatest accomplishment is barley being able to press the letters on a key board, to form that garbage. I bet his Mom, or Wife (heck, probably one in the same) told him what to type.

Wow that was one of the worst offseason previews i have ever seen, its just wrong on so many things that it becomes clear that this guy spent less than 5 minutes looking into these guys before writing it and or he hates the browns or mangini...either way i hope ward ,haden and hardesty and the other rooks get a look at this...funny stuff really...;)

this guy is an absolute idiot. he actually has the cowboys getting an a- for their draft. he says that the safety they got is an instant playmaker and makes him sound like the next ed reed. yet, our safety is absolute crap and can't do anything. what a joke.

They have very little depth at the [CB] position and Brandon McDonald is better as a nickelback anyway. They need a good corner opposite Eric Wright. If they use the best available strategy again this year, Joe Haden could very well be their pick at 7.

They really needed to go with someone who can help them right away and Haden, because of their depth at cornerback, will probably not start until year 3.

they did draft a cornerback in the first with really good upside

?????????????????????????????????????? :rolleyes: lmfao

here's another zinger:

I like Mike Holmgren just wanted to guy his quarterback

and Geathers is the replacement for Corey friggin Williams who never made a play here except like once from the nose. great. got it.

this douche is a complete moron.

aside from not sharing the same philosophy of team needs as our, um, team i also highlighted some gorgeous examples of superlative grammar i felt really gave the report a lot of credence.

Debate the Browns' offseason possibilities in The Football Fan Forum

Last season: 5-11

Draft:

#7 CB Joe Haden (Florida)

The Browns were an awful team last year, as they were for pretty much the entire last decade. They really needed to go with someone who can help them right away and Haden, because of their depth at cornerback, will probably not start until year 3. They should have tried to trade down here (though I can’t say I know they didn’t try) and if they couldn’t, they needed to take a quarterback like Jimmy Clausen.

Grade: C+

#38 S TJ Ward (Oregon)

Huh? The Browns needed to take a quarterback here and could have taken Jimmy Clausen in the 2nd round, but instead they decided to take a 5th round prospect at safety. Yea, safety was a need, but Ward is a huge reach by a count of 3 rounds, and doesn’t have a lot of positional value for a team that needs to get better in a hurry. By taking a cornerback who won’t start until year 3 and taking a safety that has no business ever starting in the NFL, the Browns have somehow managed to not make themselves any better at all with their first 2 picks, at least not immediately.

Grade: F

#59 RB Montario Hardesty (Tennessee)

I don’t love Colt McCoy, but the Browns need a quarterback so I don’t see why they didn’t take one here. I mean, they had to have traded up for a reason, but apparently that reason was to take a 2nd string running back, which wasn’t a huge need at all. They would have been fine with Jerome Harrison and James Davis at running back next year. I don’t see how this pick makes them much better next year either.

Grade: C-

#85 QB Colt McCoy (Texas)

I have to hand it to Mike Holmgren. I guess Colt McCoy was his guy all along and he was able to have the guts to wait on him, knowing he’d probably fall. However, that could have ended up looking pretty stupid. Still, I don’t mind the pick. I don’t love McCoy and I had higher rated quarterbacks available, but at least it’s the right position.

Grade: A-

#92 G Shawn Lauvao (Arizona State)

The Browns reached for a 5th round prospect in the 3rd at a position of little value? Really? That doesn’t sound like them. I like Mike Holmgren just wanted to guy his quarterback out of this draft and let Eric Mangini do the rest of the drafting. So many of these picks look like classic Eric Mangini picks. Either that or Mike Holmgren is less smart than I give him credit for.

Grade: D

#160 S Larry Asante (Nebraska)

At least he fits the draft range, but the Browns have so many more important needs that they can’t really drafted another safety. Plus, I don’t like Asante. I don’t think he’s a starting caliber player in the NFL. What’s with all of these bad teams not paying attention to positional value. Who is going to catch Colt McCoy/Jake Delhomme’s passes, what about their defensive line, rush linebacker?

Grade: B-

#177 WR Carlton Mitchell (South Florida)

He fits the draft range, has great upside, and fills a need, so this is probably one of their best picks, but they did have better options, though I can’t bash this pick too much.

Grade: B+

#186 3-4 DE Clifton Geathers (South Carolina)

Finally, some good positional value. Geathers is a perfect fit with huge upside at the 3-4 end position for the Browns and can serve as their replacement for Corey Williams.

Grade: A

Overall:

The Browns could have done worse, but not much. I don’t think they made themselves any better for next year at all, and because of that, I think they actually made themselves worse for next year. However, even with all of their reaches and picks that lacked positional value, they did draft a cornerback in the first with really good upside and a potential franchise quarterback in the 3rd, though I don’t like McCoy’s chances, even with a year on the bench, as Holmgren has said he will give him.

Grade: C

Key undrafted free agents:

RLB Auston English (Oklahoma)

Rush Linebacker:

The Browns actually managed 40 sacks as a team, but no one had more than 6.5 so they still have that need for an elite pass rusher. They could target Derrick Morgan at 7 if they feel he would fit their 3-4 scheme, which I feel he wouldn’t. Otherwise, they’ll have to wait until the 2nd round or later to get an elite rush linebacker which would be smart because of the alarming rate at which rush linebackers have been busting in recent years.

Traded for Chris Gocong

Wide Receiver:

The Browns drafted 2 wide receivers in the 2nd round last year, but there’s a good chance that one doesn’t pan out and even if both do, I don’t see either as that elite deep threat of a wide receiver. Their first pick could very well be an elite #1 wide receiver to replace Braylon Edwards, preferably one who tries. They need to get Brady Quinn help ASAP.

Drafted Carlton Mitchell (#177)

Middle Linebacker:

A real 3-4 middle linebacker upgrade next to D’Qwell Jackson is needed. David Veikune doesn’t fit the scheme at all and was a major reach in the 2nd round last year.

Signed Scott Fujita

Quarterback:

353 throws doesn’t make a career, but Brady Quinn’s career is on thin ice. They should give him one more year to prove himself, but if he struggles early, they will want someone in the bullpen warming up because for the sake of the public defense of Cleveland we don’t want Derek Anderson playing quarterback again. Unsuspecting innocent citizens will be belted will footballs while walking the streets on Sundays. Both Mike Holmgren and Eric Mangini will want a chance to bring in their own guy at quarterback so I would be very surprised if they didn’t take one before round 4.

Traded for Seneca Wallace, Signed Jake Delhomme, Drafted Colt McCoy (#85)

Cornerback:

They have very little depth at the position and Brandon McDonald is better as a nickelback anyway. They need a good corner opposite Eric Wright. If they use the best available strategy again this year, Joe Haden could very well be their pick at 7. If they don’t take Haden, expect them to look at a cornerback later for depth purposes only. They have other needs.

Drafted Joe Haden (#7), Traded for Sheldon Brown

Offensive Tackle:

Joe Thomas is a stud left tackle, probably the best in the league, but John St. Clair was one of the worst starting right tackles in the league last year. Makes you wonder why they gave him a three year deal after how bad he was with the Bears. Right tackle doesn’t have a ton of positional value, which of course means Eric Mangini could spend an early pick on it, and this isn’t a huge need considering how well their line played as a whole thanks to Joe Thomas, but they could have one of the top 5 offensive lines in the league with an upgrade at right tackle.

Signed Tony Pashos

Tight End:

The Browns started several different tight ends last year and it got so bad that they had to promote Evan Moore from the practice squad to start late in the season and he did a better job than anyone else. However, tight end doesn’t have a huge positional value so it can wait another season if he has to, but picking up a 1-2 year stopgap in free agency might be nice.

Signed Benjamin Watson

Free agents:

QB Derek Anderson- signed with Cardinals 2 years 7.5 million

QB Brett Ratliff (exclusive rights)

RB Jerome Harrison (restricted)- tendered (2nd)

RB Jamal Lewis

FB Lawrence Vickers (restricted)

WR Donte Stallworth- signed with Ravens 1 yr .9 mil

WR Mike Furrey

WR Sydndric “I could not make this name up if I tried” Steptoe (restricted)

OT Ryan Tucker

G Rex Hadnot- signed with Cardinals 3 years 9 million

C Hank Fraley- signed with Rams

RLB Matt Roth (restricted)- tendered (2nd)

RLB Arnold Harrison (restricted)

MLB Jason Trusnik (restricted)- signed 1 year 1.6 million

MLB D'Qwell Jackson (restricted)- tendered (2nd)

MLB Blake Costanzo (exclusive rights)- resigned 1 year

S Brodney Pool (restricted)- not tendered, signed with Jets 1 year 1.3 million

S Abram Elam (restricted)- tendered (2nd)

Offseason moves:

Browns sign C Eric Ghiaciuc

Browns acquire CB Sheldon Brown, RLB Chris Gocong from Eagles for DE Alex Hall, 2010 4th, 5th rounders

Browns re-sign MLB Blake Costanzo

Browns trade QB Brady Quinn to Broncos for FB Peyton Hillis, 2011 6th-rounder and 2012 late-rounder

Browns trade DE Kamerion Wimbley to Raiders for 2010 3rd-rounder

Browns sign QB Jake Delhomme

Browns re-sign MLB Jason Trusnik

Browns cut TE Steve Heiden

Browns sign TE Ben Watson

Browns cut QB Derek Anderson

Browns acquire QB Seneca Wallace from Seahawks for conditional 2011 pick

Browns sign MLB Scott Fujita

Browns sign OT Tony Pashos

Browns announce retirement of OT Ryan Tucker

Browns trade DT Corey Williams and 2010 7th-rounder to Lions for 2010 5th-rounder

Browns tender MLB D'Qwell Jackson

Browns tender RB Jerome Harrison

Browns tender MLB Blake Costanzo

Browns tender MLB Jason Trusnik

Browns tender FB Lawrence Vickers

Browns tender S Abram Elam

Browns tender RLB Matt Roth

Browns cut C Hank Fraley

Browns cut RB Jamal Lewis

Browns cut WR Donte' Stallworth

Debate the Browns' offseason possibilities in The Football Fan Forum

Last season: 5-11

Draft:

#7 CB Joe Haden (Florida)

The Browns were an awful team last year, as they were for pretty much the entire last decade. They really needed to go with someone who can help them right away and Haden, because of their depth at cornerback, will probably not start until year 3. They should have tried to trade down here (though I can’t say I know they didn’t try) and if they couldn’t, they needed to take a quarterback like Jimmy Clausen.

Grade: C+

#38 S TJ Ward (Oregon)

Huh? The Browns needed to take a quarterback here and could have taken Jimmy Clausen in the 2nd round, but instead they decided to take a 5th round prospect at safety. Yea, safety was a need, but Ward is a huge reach by a count of 3 rounds, and doesn’t have a lot of positional value for a team that needs to get better in a hurry. By taking a cornerback who won’t start until year 3 and taking a safety that has no business ever starting in the NFL, the Browns have somehow managed to not make themselves any better at all with their first 2 picks, at least not immediately.

Grade: F

#59 RB Montario Hardesty (Tennessee)

I don’t love Colt McCoy, but the Browns need a quarterback so I don’t see why they didn’t take one here. I mean, they had to have traded up for a reason, but apparently that reason was to take a 2nd string running back, which wasn’t a huge need at all. They would have been fine with Jerome Harrison and James Davis at running back next year. I don’t see how this pick makes them much better next year either.

Grade: C-

#85 QB Colt McCoy (Texas)

I have to hand it to Mike Holmgren. I guess Colt McCoy was his guy all along and he was able to have the guts to wait on him, knowing he’d probably fall. However, that could have ended up looking pretty stupid. Still, I don’t mind the pick. I don’t love McCoy and I had higher rated quarterbacks available, but at least it’s the right position.

Grade: A-

#92 G Shawn Lauvao (Arizona State)

The Browns reached for a 5th round prospect in the 3rd at a position of little value? Really? That doesn’t sound like them. I like Mike Holmgren just wanted to guy his quarterback out of this draft and let Eric Mangini do the rest of the drafting. So many of these picks look like classic Eric Mangini picks. Either that or Mike Holmgren is less smart than I give him credit for.

Grade: D

#160 S Larry Asante (Nebraska)

At least he fits the draft range, but the Browns have so many more important needs that they can’t really drafted another safety. Plus, I don’t like Asante. I don’t think he’s a starting caliber player in the NFL. What’s with all of these bad teams not paying attention to positional value. Who is going to catch Colt McCoy/Jake Delhomme’s passes, what about their defensive line, rush linebacker?

Grade: B-

#177 WR Carlton Mitchell (South Florida)

He fits the draft range, has great upside, and fills a need, so this is probably one of their best picks, but they did have better options, though I can’t bash this pick too much.

Grade: B+

#186 3-4 DE Clifton Geathers (South Carolina)

Finally, some good positional value. Geathers is a perfect fit with huge upside at the 3-4 end position for the Browns and can serve as their replacement for Corey Williams.

Grade: A

Overall:

The Browns could have done worse, but not much. I don’t think they made themselves any better for next year at all, and because of that, I think they actually made themselves worse for next year. However, even with all of their reaches and picks that lacked positional value, they did draft a cornerback in the first with really good upside and a potential franchise quarterback in the 3rd, though I don’t like McCoy’s chances, even with a year on the bench, as Holmgren has said he will give him.

Grade: C

Key undrafted free agents:

RLB Auston English (Oklahoma)

Rush Linebacker:

The Browns actually managed 40 sacks as a team, but no one had more than 6.5 so they still have that need for an elite pass rusher. They could target Derrick Morgan at 7 if they feel he would fit their 3-4 scheme, which I feel he wouldn’t. Otherwise, they’ll have to wait until the 2nd round or later to get an elite rush linebacker which would be smart because of the alarming rate at which rush linebackers have been busting in recent years.

Traded for Chris Gocong

Wide Receiver:

The Browns drafted 2 wide receivers in the 2nd round last year, but there’s a good chance that one doesn’t pan out and even if both do, I don’t see either as that elite deep threat of a wide receiver. Their first pick could very well be an elite #1 wide receiver to replace Braylon Edwards, preferably one who tries. They need to get Brady Quinn help ASAP.

Drafted Carlton Mitchell (#177)

Middle Linebacker:

A real 3-4 middle linebacker upgrade next to D’Qwell Jackson is needed. David Veikune doesn’t fit the scheme at all and was a major reach in the 2nd round last year.

Signed Scott Fujita

Quarterback:

353 throws doesn’t make a career, but Brady Quinn’s career is on thin ice. They should give him one more year to prove himself, but if he struggles early, they will want someone in the bullpen warming up because for the sake of the public defense of Cleveland we don’t want Derek Anderson playing quarterback again. Unsuspecting innocent citizens will be belted will footballs while walking the streets on Sundays. Both Mike Holmgren and Eric Mangini will want a chance to bring in their own guy at quarterback so I would be very surprised if they didn’t take one before round 4.

Traded for Seneca Wallace, Signed Jake Delhomme, Drafted Colt McCoy (#85)

Cornerback:

They have very little depth at the position and Brandon McDonald is better as a nickelback anyway. They need a good corner opposite Eric Wright. If they use the best available strategy again this year, Joe Haden could very well be their pick at 7. If they don’t take Haden, expect them to look at a cornerback later for depth purposes only. They have other needs.

Drafted Joe Haden (#7), Traded for Sheldon Brown

Offensive Tackle:

Joe Thomas is a stud left tackle, probably the best in the league, but John St. Clair was one of the worst starting right tackles in the league last year. Makes you wonder why they gave him a three year deal after how bad he was with the Bears. Right tackle doesn’t have a ton of positional value, which of course means Eric Mangini could spend an early pick on it, and this isn’t a huge need considering how well their line played as a whole thanks to Joe Thomas, but they could have one of the top 5 offensive lines in the league with an upgrade at right tackle.

Signed Tony Pashos

Tight End:

The Browns started several different tight ends last year and it got so bad that they had to promote Evan Moore from the practice squad to start late in the season and he did a better job than anyone else. However, tight end doesn’t have a huge positional value so it can wait another season if he has to, but picking up a 1-2 year stopgap in free agency might be nice.

Signed Benjamin Watson

Free agents:

QB Derek Anderson- signed with Cardinals 2 years 7.5 million

QB Brett Ratliff (exclusive rights)

RB Jerome Harrison (restricted)- tendered (2nd)

RB Jamal Lewis

FB Lawrence Vickers (restricted)

WR Donte Stallworth- signed with Ravens 1 yr .9 mil

WR Mike Furrey

WR Sydndric “I could not make this name up if I tried” Steptoe (restricted)

OT Ryan Tucker

G Rex Hadnot- signed with Cardinals 3 years 9 million

C Hank Fraley- signed with Rams

RLB Matt Roth (restricted)- tendered (2nd)

RLB Arnold Harrison (restricted)

MLB Jason Trusnik (restricted)- signed 1 year 1.6 million

MLB D'Qwell Jackson (restricted)- tendered (2nd)

MLB Blake Costanzo (exclusive rights)- resigned 1 year

S Brodney Pool (restricted)- not tendered, signed with Jets 1 year 1.3 million

S Abram Elam (restricted)- tendered (2nd)

Offseason moves:

Browns sign C Eric Ghiaciuc

Browns acquire CB Sheldon Brown, RLB Chris Gocong from Eagles for DE Alex Hall, 2010 4th, 5th rounders

Browns re-sign MLB Blake Costanzo

Browns trade QB Brady Quinn to Broncos for FB Peyton Hillis, 2011 6th-rounder and 2012 late-rounder

Browns trade DE Kamerion Wimbley to Raiders for 2010 3rd-rounder

Browns sign QB Jake Delhomme

Browns re-sign MLB Jason Trusnik

Browns cut TE Steve Heiden

Browns sign TE Ben Watson

Browns cut QB Derek Anderson

Browns acquire QB Seneca Wallace from Seahawks for conditional 2011 pick

Browns sign MLB Scott Fujita

Browns sign OT Tony Pashos

Browns announce retirement of OT Ryan Tucker

Browns trade DT Corey Williams and 2010 7th-rounder to Lions for 2010 5th-rounder

Browns tender MLB D'Qwell Jackson

Browns tender RB Jerome Harrison

Browns tender MLB Blake Costanzo

Browns tender MLB Jason Trusnik

Browns tender FB Lawrence Vickers

Browns tender S Abram Elam

Browns tender RLB Matt Roth

Browns cut C Hank Fraley

Browns cut RB Jamal Lewis

Browns cut WR Donte' Stallworth

all you peeps who quote entire pages of someone you are posting right after them just to reply with one line, this is for you!

:D:blink: **insert malicious smiley** :wacko::D

The thing that's irritating to me, is these guys who think we should have drafted Clausen because they thought he was better than McCoy. If Holmgren, Heckert, and Mangini did not want Clausen, then why in the world would they have drafted him at any point?

Secondly, I just read an article that said that the Browns had Ward rated higher than Earl Thomas.

The thing that's irritating to me, is these guys who think we should have drafted Clausen because they thought he was better than McCoy. If Holmgren, Heckert, and Mangini did not want Clausen, then why in the world would they have drafted him at any point?

i firmly believe they drafted a player at 85 and QB was not a position of dire need.

Secondly, I just read an article that said that the Browns had Ward rated higher than Earl Thomas.

if so they're even happier than we are. i can't wait to see these last two drafts a few years from now.

whoever wrote that is a very cynical moron. I always find these draft grades the day/week after the draft comical to look at 3 years down the road to see how completely wrong 90% of them are, especially the ones that blatantly bash every perceived reach or heap praise on all the steals that turn out to really suck (Leinart, Matt).

They have very little depth at the [CB] position and Brandon McDonald is better as a nickelback anyway. They need a good corner opposite Eric Wright. If they use the best available strategy again this year, Joe Haden could very well be their pick at 7.

They really needed to go with someone who can help them right away and Haden, because of their depth at cornerback, will probably not start until year 3.

They also traded for Sheldon Brown who has at least 2 years left of starting at CB. That's why I don't think Haden sees much of the field until year 3.

I think we'll see a LOT of Joe Haden on the field this year. The dramatic change we may see is at safety. Don't be surprised to see Mr Brown as a safety. The other?...Who knows, but if Ward stays healthy, he could be very interesting.

Mike

They also traded for Sheldon Brown who has at least 2 years left of starting at CB. That's why I don't think Haden sees much of the field until year 3.

I don't have a problem with your logic steven, but, I think what you're not acknowledging is that the NFL in 2010 is a trips or Y-flex league and you need three corners. One way or another, Haden is on the field a LOT this year. Just my opinion.

Well whoever made that website obviously hates the browns. The writer contradicts himself. If you look at pre-draft rankings he says this about Hardesty:

"One of my favorite running back sleepers, a good size, speed combination, and very good hands, both in pass catching and pass blocking. He has everything he needs to be a factor right away and a 3rd down back at the very least. I see him having the upside as a future starting running back."

Then when you look at what he has to say when the browns selected him in the third round:

" I mean, they had to have traded up for a reason, but apparently that reason was to take a 2nd string running back, which wasn’t a huge need at all. They would have been fine with Jerome Harrison and James Davis at running back next year. I don’t see how this pick makes them much better next year either."

And then there are sentences such as these that make absolutely no sense:

"I like Mike Holmgren just wanted to guy his quarterback out of this draft and let Eric Mangini do the rest of the drafting."

WTF??! Plus his "post draft power rankings" list the browns dead last (7 spots behind the rams). He is clueless to say the least..

Well whoever made that website obviously hates the browns. The writer contradicts himself. If you look at pre-draft rankings he says this about Hardesty:

"One of my favorite running back sleepers, a good size, speed combination, and very good hands, both in pass catching and pass blocking. He has everything he needs to be a factor right away and a 3rd down back at the very least. I see him having the upside as a future starting running back."

Then when you look at what he has to say when the browns selected him in the third round:

" I mean, they had to have traded up for a reason, but apparently that reason was to take a 2nd string running back, which wasn’t a huge need at all. They would have been fine with Jerome Harrison and James Davis at running back next year. I don’t see how this pick makes them much better next year either."

And then there are sentences such as these that make absolutely no sense:

"I like Mike Holmgren just wanted to guy his quarterback out of this draft and let Eric Mangini do the rest of the drafting."

WTF??! Plus his "post draft power rankings" list the browns dead last (7 spots behind the rams). He is clueless to say the least..

It doesn't suprise me that people don't like the Browns draft. I would be a liar if I said I loved it and I am a diehard fan, but ranking them dead last is a joke

Archived