THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Monday MayDay

The Gipper

Here is this week's survey. Give your opinions:

1. OK, after a couple of week's to let it sink in, what grade would you give the Browns draft?

2. Here is a theory of mine: Without Coach Phil Jackson, Michael Jordan would have been, say, Clyde Drexler. With Phil Jackson, Clyde Drexler would have been Michael Jordan. Without Coach Phil Jackson, Kobe Bryant would be say, Allen Iverson. With Coach Phil Jackson, Allen Iverson would have been say, Kobe Bryant. When MJ and Kobe did not have Phil as their coach, they didn't win anything. They only won with him as their coach. The key component to both the Bulls and Lakers success was the coach, not the players. Agree or not?

3. The following teams are left in the NHL playoffs: Montreal Canadiennes, Boston Bruins, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Detroit Redwings, Chicago Blackhawks, San Jose Sharks, Vancouver Canucks. Who would you prefer to win the Stanley Cup?

4. Will Jake Delhomme resurrect his career say, in the order that Kurt Warner did?

5. The following teams are left in the NBA playoffs: Cleveland Cavaliers, Boston Celtics, Orlando Magic, Atlanta Hawks, LA Lakers, Phoenix Suns, San Antonio Spurs, Utah Jazz. Let's assume everyone here, for the most part want the Cavs to win. However, if the Cavs were not to win, who besides them would you prefer to win the title?

1. OK, after a couple of week's to let it sink in, what grade would you give the Browns draft?

B on paper. lots of intangibles like intelligence, heart, toughness, leadership--could easily become a strong A.

2. Here is a theory of mine: Without Coach Phil Jackson, Michael Jordan would have been, say, Clyde Drexler. With Phil Jackson, Clyde Drexler would have been Michael Jordan. Without Coach Phil Jackson, Kobe Bryant would be say, Allen Iverson. With Coach Phil Jackson, Allen Iverson would have been say, Kobe Bryant. When MJ and Kobe did not have Phil as their coach, they didn't win anything. They only won with him as their coach. The key component to both the Bulls and Lakers success was the coach, not the players. Agree or not?

i don't follow basketball but it's interesting.

3. The following teams are left in the NHL playoffs: Montreal Canadiennes, Boston Bruins, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Detroit Redwings, Chicago Blackhawks, San Jose Sharks, Vancouver Canucks. Who would you prefer to win the Stanley Cup?

Pens, for my diehard hockey pals. i don't follow hockey either.

4. Will Jake Delhomme resurrect his career say, in the order that Kurt Warner did?

he has the ability physically and the right situation to allow him to, but location-wise it's a lot harder to do it in CLE than it would be in a dome. economically he's definitely in a win-win position imo.

5. The following teams are left in the NBA playoffs: Cleveland Cavaliers, Boston Celtics, Orlando Magic, Atlanta Hawks, LA Lakers, Phoenix Suns, San Antonio Spurs, Utah Jazz. Let's assume everyone here, for the most part want the Cavs to win. However, if the Cavs were not to win, who besides them would you prefer to win the title? Celtics i guess? lol complete indifference here.

Here are my own replies:

Above average. A "B". Of course, as everyone says, you have to wait 3-5 years to give it a legitimate grade.

Yes, believe it or not, I agree with my own theory!

This is my order of preference to win the NHL title: 1. Vancouver 2. San Jose 3. Blackhawks 4. Flyers 5. Bruins 6. Montreal 7. Redwings 8. Penguins

(before Steeler fans get their sphincters pursed, I am essentially going by reverse order of most recent title. Vancouver hasn't won a Stanley Cup since 1915, San Jose--never; Blackhawks since early 60s, Flyers/Bruins since the 70s; Montreal since early 90s; Redwings and Penguins I think have won the last two)

Oddly enough, yes, I think he will. Not necessarily "Kurt Warner leading you to the Super Bowl like", but he will vastly improve his performance with the Browns.

5. The following teams are left in the NBA playoffs: Cleveland Cavaliers, Boston Celtics, Orlando Magic, Atlanta Hawks, LA Lakers, Phoenix Suns, San Antonio Spurs, Utah Jazz. Let's assume everyone here, for the most part want the Cavs to win. However, if the Cavs were not to win, who besides them would you prefer to win the title?

My order of preference here is: 1. Cavs 2. Jazz 3. Orlando 4. Hawks 5. Suns 6. San Antonio 7. Celtics 8. Lakers

A-minus. Loved that we focused on the secondary. It's just nice to be able to potentially wipe out a position group in one off-season. Loved the overall toughness of the group. McCoy was a huge bonus. He was my second favortie of the QB's from the get go and the more I watch of him the more I like.

I disagree. Phil Jackson doesn't make game-winning shots. Basketball, above any other team sport, is a players game. Phil is a great coach, but I think he simply put already good teams over the top. Robert Horry hit game-winning shots for multiple teams, not just the Lakers under Jackson. Without Horry, there's one championship. Any coach in the NBA right now could've coached Jordan and Pippen to at least 4 championships. Shaq and Kobe were arguably the best two players in the league on the same team when they were winning ships.

I think of all the players you mentioned, Kobe needed Phil the most. In seasons without Jackson, he seemed to be very reluctant to play a team game. Maybe he really could've helped Allen Iverson. That comparison is interesting for sure.

Just for thought, what would LeBron be with Phil according to your theory, Superman?

I like Vancouver okay. I was rooting for Buffalo though. I'd be okay with Montreal, Chicago, or Vancouver.

No, but he won't be as bad as he was last year. The big difference is Delhomme never was Kurt Warner. So he might resurrect his carrer on a smaller level.

Pheonix deserves one. They got cheated out of one when Horry body-checked nash into the scorers table and Amare and Diaw got suspended for game 5. I'd loveto see Sloan finally win one. Orlando and Atlanta I wouldn't mind seeing win.

But basically, if the Cavs don't win it will be devastating. They are so deep they can beat anyone with any style. Small, big, fast, shooting, you name it. If we don't win this year I'm blaming the coach.

Give the browns draft an A, there is nobody that doesn't have a serious chance to make the roster.

I agree on Jordan winning titles because of Phil Jackson. I remember the game where Phil Jackson got in jordan's face and siad "Who's open?" Paxson "Get him the ball". Without jackson jordan wins a bunch of scoring titles but one or zero nba titles.

I think Delhomme will rebound with the browns

Go Celtics

B+

Somewhat agree. Talent is influenced, but not controlled.

Vancouver!!!

I hope so. But I think our offense will rely on our running game this year. So it will be hard to tell.

Atlanta Hawks or Utah Jazz

Hey Lebrent, This is what you said.

I disagree. Phil Jackson doesn't make game-winning shots. Basketball, above any other team sport, is a players game.

Then you said this

But basically, if the Cavs don't win it will be devastating. They are so deep they can beat anyone with any style. Small, big, fast, shooting, you name it. If we don't win this year I'm blaming the coach.

Why is Basketball a players game until they lose then it's the coaches fault? Im just curious to see the reasoning behind this because it doesn't make sense.

Hey Lebrent, This is what you said.

I disagree. Phil Jackson doesn't make game-winning shots. Basketball, above any other team sport, is a players game.

Then you said this

Why is Basketball a players game until they lose then it's the coaches fault? Im just curious to see the reasoning behind this because it doesn't make sense.

First off I think Mike Brown is a good coach and the first thing he did when he got here was establish an identity.

If he has a weakness, though, it's in game adjustments. Sometimes he is stubborn. For instance, in the Boston game #1 I think it took him too long to put in Hickson and Varejao. We need to run on Boston. Shaq is good to put in there and pick up some fouls on Boston's big guys but he slows us down.

We have so much depth that we can play any style. Against Boston that style needs to be athletic and fast. That's why Atlanta gives Boston so much trouble.

It's up to the coach to play the right players in the right situations. Phil Jackson is very good at this obviously, but it's not a tough decision to play MJ and Scottie or Shaq and Kobe.

Do I think Phil Jackson is a good coach, of course. Do I give him some of the credit for his championships, yes. But could he have won 10 championships had he coached poor players, absolutely not.

I agree with you that some coaches don't get the credit they deserve but I think Gipper is giving Jackson too much credit.

C+

Agree. Thats why the Cavs haven't won. Mike Brown sucks

Do they still play hockey? Really?

He has never been as good as Warner so no.

Utah Jazz. But come on?

B....I wanted a mean-ass pass rush, but will trust the front office.

Disagree- let's see Phil Jackson coach a team without a superstar. He never has.

Vancouver Canucks

No, highly unlikely.

Utah Jazz

In regards to Phil Jackson, I will give him some credit with the Bulls, mainly because they never had a dominant center (Bill Cartwright). Could he coach a team like today's Minnesota TWolves and rise them up from the dead? I doubt it.

Do I think Phil Jackson is a good coach, of course. Do I give him some of the credit for his championships, yes. But could he have won 10 championships had he coached poor players, absolutely not.

I agree with you that some coaches don't get the credit they deserve but I think Gipper is giving Jackson too much credit.

I think the point is that they needed each other to win the championships. being a great individual player does not help that much toward winning a championship

Never grade a draft this soon, especially with a couple of injury risks in it.

Nope, absolutely not. MJ would still have been MJ, LeBron would still be LeBron. Now you could argue about the # of championships they might win. :)

Red Wings, I'll admit it I'm a fan and biased.

Extremely doubtful.

Spurs, I'd root for the Jazz if traitor Boozer weren't playing for them. Atlanta would be fine but I only give them a snowball's chance in hell of upsetting the Magic.

A. Attacked needs all over the field.

Not. MJ would have been MJ if Clyde Drexler was his coach.

I like Original Six teams so I will go with Chicago Blackhawks over Bost Bruins

Sure.

San Antonio.

But perish the thought.

Zombo

First off I think Mike Brown is a good coach and the first thing he did when he got here was establish an identity.

If he has a weakness, though, it's in game adjustments. Sometimes he is stubborn. For instance, in the Boston game #1 I think it took him too long to put in Hickson and Varejao. We need to run on Boston. Shaq is good to put in there and pick up some fouls on Boston's big guys but he slows us down.

We have so much depth that we can play any style. Against Boston that style needs to be athletic and fast. That's why Atlanta gives Boston so much trouble.

It's up to the coach to play the right players in the right situations. Phil Jackson is very good at this obviously, but it's not a tough decision to play MJ and Scottie or Shaq and Kobe.

I think Brown should of been gone a long time ago. I always get this feeling that no matter they do they're still missing that one piece that will allow them to win it all and I hate to say it but that one piece is the coach. It just seem's like he always chokes during the playoff's and screwes it all up.

I think Brown should of been gone a long time ago. I always get this feeling that no matter they do they're still missing that one piece that will allow them to win it all and I hate to say it but that one piece is the coach. It just seem's like he always chokes during the playoff's and screwes it all up.

Last night was evidense of that. It wasn't all Brown's fault but WHY AREN'T WE RUNNING? How come we don't start running until we get down by 10? It is so frusterating!

Brown needs to get us going. He is horrible at in-game adjustments. For some reason he has this belief that you can't run in the playoffs. We were down 25 last night, finally got aggressive, and scored 15 unnanswered.

We are clearly the better team and I still think we can win the next three games but we can't play Boston's game.

Last night sucked :angry: .

Fundamentally, I like what they did in the draft. With all drafts, however, I have to give it an, "Incomplete".

Here's the way I look at it: Without Michael Jordan or without O'Neill and Bryant, Phil Jackson would be George Karl - a decent, if not spectacular NBA HC.

What is the Stanley Cup?

No. Too old. Warner was something special. He is a welcomed addition to the team despite most pundits questioning why Holmgren gave him so much guaranteed money.

I simply hope he becomes another Gary Danielson.

I want the Celtics to win but I'm biased in the same way yous guys are.

In regards to Phil Jackson, I will give him some credit with the Bulls, mainly because they never had a dominant center (Bill Cartwright). Could he coach a team like today's Minnesota TWolves and rise them up from the dead? I doubt it.

I will say this: Phil Jackson has had more success without Jordan and Bryant than they have had without him. He made several NBA or conference finals without either of those players. They never made it without him, to my knowledge.

Archived