THE BROWNS BOARD

Alex Smith(TE) signed...

Cleveland Browns sign TE Alex Smith to 1-year deal, source confirms

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

May 03, 2010, 7:46PM

CLEVELAND -- The Browns signed sixth-year tight end Alex Smith to a one-year contract today, a league source confirmed.

Smith spent the 2009 season with the Eagles, when current Browns general manager Tom Heckert was still there. Smith (6-4, 258) played sparingly for the Eagles last season, catching three passes for 25 yards.

Originally a third-round pick of Tampa Bay in 2005 out of Stanford, he started 43 of his 58 games with the Bucs, catching 129 passes for 1,252 yards and 11 TDs. Smith was traded to the Patriots in April of 2009, but was released on Sept. 5.

The Browns also upgraded upgraded their tight end position this offseason by signing former Patriot Ben Watson to a three-year deal as a free agent in March. Smith's signing was first reported by ESPN's Adam Schefter.

so

smith watson royal estandia and moore

hopefully that means royal is the odd man out

I would say royal is definately the odd man out at this point, the guy was lackluster last year and the TE position is obviously vital to mangini's offense for blocking/dumps and royal has no hands and is only a so so blocker..

so

smith watson royal estandia and moore

hopefully that means royal is the odd man out

I hope so....I really like Moore.

I have been friends with Brent Celek for awhile now (Eagles starting TE) so I got to meet Alex Smith a few times. Real nice guy. Not the best receiving TE but a superb blocker. Something to work with I suppose.

That could be the hat tip on what we will be seeing in the regular season. run baby run!

I see Watson as the starter and Smith as the third guy, the blocker (Dinkins' old role)

The camp battle will be for the #2 spot between Moore and Royal. That may come down to whomever is the better special teamer.

I could see them letting Royal go early in camp to catch on with another team if the other guys are healthy and playing well.

Zombo

For Moore, a key to him earning a spot is the ability to remain healthy. This has been a major thorn in his young career as of late. In terms of catch making skills, he's the obvious choice over Royal.(but then again who isn't?) If Moore works on his run blocking and stays healthy, he can earn the spot.

It seems the Tight End position is becoming the new en vogue offensive threat of the NFL these days. At least 3-4 teams drafted 2 or more tight ends in this recent draft.

With all these TEs on the Browns roster, plus Hillis who can be a RB/FB/HB/TE it seems to me that the Browns really want to attack those zone gaps up the middle of the field.

Of course, to do that, a team has to have at least 1 or 2 fast receivers to stretch the defense and open up those middle gaps for the TEs. Are MoMass and Carlton able to do that? Robiskie won't, he is almost a TE build himself.

Archived