THE BROWNS BOARD

McCoy Just a Backup?

Browns57

Colt McCoy: Is He The Cleveland Browns Long Term Backup?

by J Gatskie Correspondent Written on May 06, 2010

Recently, I wrote an article extolling the brilliance of Browns executive Mike Holmgren for selecting Texas quarterback Colt McCoy with the 85th pick of the NFL draft, and deflecting attention away from the Browns preceding picks by giving the fans what they wanted in a perceived franchise quarterback.

While doing so, I speculated that Holmgren may have been pacifying us with McCoy, while he implements his long term plan for success. According to new information released by the National Football Post and Rotoworld, I may have hit the nail on the head.

According to Rotoworld

The Browns brass reportedly views third-round pick Colt McCoy, "more as a backup than a potential starter," and it is believed the Browns will heavily scout what is expected to be, a rich quarterback draft in 2011.

Jake Locker from Washington, Ryan Mallett from Arkansas. Andrew Luck from Stanford and Christian Ponder from Florida State are all considered first round talents.

The concerns from the Cleveland brass about McCoy are all the same as the ones we heard going into the draft. They revolve around his lack of arm strength, height, sidearm delivery and playing predominantly in the spread offense.

The Browns view McCoy as a long term project.

According to the National Football Post's Michael Lombardi

I know much has been made of the Colt McCoy pick by Cleveland, but in reality, this pick will not stop the Browns from drafting a quarterback next year.

McCoy is viewed more as backup than a potential starter by team brass. Expect the Browns to get involved in scouting the top QBs in the draft next year.

The Early Contenders

Washington's Jake Locker is considered the consensus number one pick next year. If we are in position to draft him we have suffered through a terrible season or have made a devil's bargain. He is a senior at Washington and is 6'3" 222 lbs.

He is an excellent athlete with a good arm who shows good poise and leadership.

Locker needs work on his reads and his overall strength. He plays in a pro-style offense which is a huge plus. He also can run a 4.40 40 yard dash.

Ryan Mallett of Arkansas is the Madden prototype, he is 6'7" 252 lbs, and has a cannon for an arm. He commands the offense, makes great reads, and has the most upside of any quarterback in next year's draft.

He is the least mobile of the elite quarterbacks and his footwork is shoddy. When he is in rhythm he is excellent, but when he falls out, it takes a while to find the groove again.

Andrew Luck of the Stanford Cardinal is a gifted passer and student who diagnoses defenses better than anyone on the nation. He is 6'4", 235 lbs, and has an NFL arm.

A gifted scholar who majors in architectural design, Luck plays in a pro-style offense and is a redshirt sophomore. Luck had an excellent 13 TDs to four interceptions.

Christian Ponder , 6'2" 219 lbs, is the leader of the Florida State Seminoles and threw for two,717 yards 14TDs and seven interceptions last year.

He is considered an excellent athlete who ran the fastest shuttle on the Seminoles team. Ponder doesn't have the best arm in the country but it is considered adequate.

Analysis

There is no way to forecast the accuracy of the reports from Michael Lombardi and Rotoworld, but they generally have excellent reputations as collectors and providers of information.

In the short term, the choice of McCoy reversed the perception of the direction of the Browns draft, and made Mike Holmgren a popular figure in the minds of the Cleveland Browns fans.

If he has allowed a staff member to leak to NFP or Rotoworld news of this deception then the Browns have invested heavily in a back-up quarterback.

that article proves hunter thompson's point that sportswriters are the lowest form of life on the planet. it's the slow news season in the nfl so these hacks are looking for anything that could be made into a story and following through. the browns have a long-term backup in seneca.

He's a 3rd round QB that was taken in a weak QB class, of course he could be a career backup, but to assume he is going to be when he hasn't stepped foot in training camp is stupid.

I agree with Mudrat, this is just something to write about, nothing more.

I'm thinking that the guys-in-charge will allow him to move up the depth chart if his play merits it.

I can definitely see Holmgren/Mangini not going out of their way to silence these sorts of articles, though-- I'm sure they want to control people's expectations of Colt for at least three reasons:

1. They don't want to see giant "Bring In Colt" posters being shoved into TV cameras every time Jake Delhomme throws an interception. They want to reserve the right to keep him as a backup as long as they want (even indefinitely if he were to never actually adjust).

2. They want fans to be interested in the team <i>today</i>, and not look towards the future when the QB they want will actually play.

3. Come 2011, if they can get other teams to trade up/burn early round picks on QBs thinking that Cleveland is interested, it'll both give the Browns the opportunity to trade for more picks and keep the other players they do want on the board.

I'm thinking the 49ers drafted Joe Montana as a 3rd rounder to be a long term backup. I'm thinking the Pats drafted what they hoped would be a long term backup in the 6th round when they got Brady. I'm thinkin' a lot of teams drafted a lot of QBs in the first round who ended up being nothing but backups to much lower picks.

So, we shall see.

"The Browns have invested heavily in a back-up QB"????????

McCoy is a 3rd round pick and you don't invest heavily in 3rd rounders...

This is win-win for our Browns.. We have a QB that was a 4 year starter and record setter in college... We're paying 3rd round wages to a prospect that admittedly is not expected to see much of the field this year...

If McCoy bombs out, so what, a lot of 3rd rounders don't stay around long....

If he turns into the real McCoy (you know I had to say that at least once) its a genius move....

How can anyone not like this pick???

Peace

T.Dawg

I think Holmgren sees the possibility in mccoy being more than a backup or he wouldn't have stuck his nose into the selection. Colt has a year to make a good impression, if he does the browns may not worry about taking a QB.

There is no bigger Colt Homer than me. Being realistic however, he's an undersized third round talent. Could he be the next Joe Montana? There's no reason that he can't be. Could he be the next Koy Detmer? Yes, he could.

This is a news media trying to get people to read by analyzing the prospects of a name with buzz. Nothing more. I agree that Holmgren isn't sticking his neck out if he didn't like the kid.

This is win-win for our Browns.. We have a QB that was a 4 year starter and record setter in college... We're paying 3rd round wages to a prospect that admittedly is not expected to see much of the field this year...

If he turns into the real McCoy (you know I had to say that at least once) its a genius move....

Peace

T.Dawg

You of course then have to see this:

Peace

T.Dawg

I agree 110 percent with you. I have been pretty critical on this draft as I feel we made some reaches, but the McCoy pick is a win/win pick IMO. I wish I could say the same about Ward and Hardesty ... although I am really starting to warm up to Hardesty.

I've said it before & I'll say it again...most sportswriters are on a par with gossip columnists. PERIOD. They know CRAP!!!

None of us know how ANY of these picks will pan out. If everybody did, Joe Montana would have been the 1st pick of the draft the year he came out....as would Jim Brown, Johnny Unitas, & a host of others.

I just can't stand their idiotic statements. It is pure guesswork..it's why I don't read the sports page or subscribe to any sports magazines. I want to read FACTS....If I want a novel, I'll go buy one.

Mike

Gipper, I graduated high school in 62... I must have seen every episode of the real McCoys...

BTW, the saying "The Real McCoy" came from the bootlegging days... A guy named McCoy made some kick ass hooch..Most bootleggers tried to copy his recipe but couldn't.... When you got a bottle of his stuff it was said to be the real McCoy...

Thats the honest to gods truth-----I think...........

Peace

T.Dawg

I think Holmgren sees the possibility in mccoy being more than a backup or he wouldn't have stuck his nose into the selection. Colt has a year to make a good impression, if he does the browns may not worry about taking a QB.

This is how i see it as well, if colt can impress the regime enough and convince them he is the future we likely will not seek out another QB...however any doubts and the browns will seek the long fabled franchise QB that has evaded us for so long...;)

Gipper, I graduated high school in 62... I must have seen every episode of the real McCoys...

BTW, the saying "The Real McCoy" came from the bootlegging days... A guy named McCoy made some kick ass hooch..Most bootleggers tried to copy his recipe but couldn't.... When you got a bottle of his stuff it was said to be the real McCoy...

Peace

T.Dawg

Sounds as good as any....

If there's one thing we know for sure about Mangini is EVERYONE on his roster will get the oportunity to prove they deserve to play. We also know Mangini doesn't give a f**k what the media's perception of him or his decisions. His are based on facts not lets try and "create some news fiction". If McCoy in fact is the "Real McCoy" he will get burn without hesitation from Our Coach

I love how they're already talking about the draft next year like they have some magic insight. They didn't have a clue about last year's draft, they had no freaking clue what was gonna happen in this year's draft, and in march of next year, when you're reading that mock draft by Mel Kiper AGAIN, just remember that they still don't have a clue as to what will happen in that draft no matter how many articles and mock drafts they conjure out of thin air.

Peace

T.Dawg

I had a long list of family members who worked for the railroad, and I always heard to was about some oil can or something or another that was invented by a guy named McCoy. Lot's of copies were made, but the engineers wanted to be sure to get the real McCoy because it worked best.

I know somebody who makes some sweet corn liquor that is the Real McCoy.

This story is exactly that -- a story! Just like the Three Little Pigs. Michael Lombardi is a Tebow apologist and a McCoy hater. Nobody had anything negative to say about McCoy's arm until Lombardi started his drivel. Then some people climbed on the bandwagon. Lombardi does not know if he is washing or hanging out and you do yourself no favors by quoting him as your major source to confirm what you have written. Furthermore, what connections do you have to the Browns' front office that empower you to tell us what they were thinking when they drafted McCoy or what they are thinking about him now?

My guess is that you are one of those people who would gripe if you were being hanged with a new gold rope! Give the kid a chance before you crucify him. My guess is that he knows a lot more about football than you do and will wind up making you look like the north end of a southbound donkey.

It's Sunday morning and while reading the paper the history channel is airing a program about whiskey in America...

Duiring prohibition, ships would anchor about a mile offshore around New York City and small boats would travel out to the ships to purchase liquor..

This became a popular method of smuggling liquor to the states and the area became known as Rum Row....

This was all started by a captain named McCoy... McCoy dealt in only top shelf liquor... During this era, 1000's were dying from rot gut liquor as quantity (and the almighty dollar) was ahead of quality...

McCoy refused to handle anything but the best liquor available...

Hence when you were selling liquor by the shot or bottle your best advertisment was stating that your liquor was the real McCoy...

As a side note, the practice of this method of smuggling caused congress to change the one mile limit to a 3 mile limit that later, I believe, was changed again to a 7 mile limit...

Just thought I'd pass it along...

My wife, the curious one, says she's gonna google it because she's sure that other origins are possible....

Peace

T.Dawg

Peace

T.Dawg

I actually think I saw that on a History Channel Show yesterday morning, believe it or not.

He's a 3rd round QB that was taken in a weak QB class, of course he could be a career backup, but to assume he is going to be when he hasn't stepped foot in training camp is stupid.

I agree with Mudrat, this is just something to write about, nothing more.

Perfect Analysis!

I had a long list of family members who worked for the railroad, and I always heard to was about some oil can or something or another that was invented by a guy named McCoy. Lot's of copies were made, but the engineers wanted to be sure to get the real McCoy because it worked best.

I know somebody who makes some sweet corn liquor that is the Real McCoy.

I am not sure where the Real McCoy stated but I have tasted that liquor and it is The Real McCoy

Archived