THE BROWNS BOARD

Seneca Wallace will have a role in the offense

USFBrown

From PFT Article

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...in-the-offense/

Eric Mangini says that Seneca Wallace will have a role in the offense

Posted by Mike Florio on May 11, 2010 8:25 AM ET

After former Seahawks quarterback Seneca Wallace joined the team, he said he believed he'd be the starter. Though the inside track for that specific gig resides with Jake Delhomme, Wallace apparently won't be standing around.

"Seneca's going to have plays in there where he'll be involved," coach Eric Mangini said Monday at the Pro Football Hall of Fame Club Luncheon, according to Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Repository, "and maybe he'll be involved with Josh [Cribbs], and we can have some fun with that."

Mangini also didn't slam the door on the possibility that Wallace could unseat Delhomme. "They're different types of quarterbacks," Mangini said. "Jake definitely has a larger body of work, although I've played against Seneca, and he was tough."

It remains unlikely that rookie Colt McCoy will get the job at any point in 2010; Mangini said McCoy is in the process of transitioning from being "the big fish [to] being a much smaller fish."

Still, the smallest fish could end up being the best option, if the other two fish can't get it done the way it needs to be done for a team that hasn't gotten it done since returning to the league more than a decade ago.

Maybe we will actually throw the ball in the WildDawg...

waterboys are always a necessary role.

Huh?

Wallace is a talented dude and did a good job as backup in Seattle.

I think he was one of our most important pick-ups in the off-season.

Zombo

I had to reluctantly play Seneca, who was my backup qb, in fantasy football one year....

and I was surprised at how well he did. We won every game he started for me.

Some folks will be surprised at what he can do at qb.

Seneca Wallace would likely be our starter under normal nfl circumstances but with mangini and daboll around and as offensively inept as they are they will naturally go with jake 'the interception machine" delhomme...besides starter money reassures jake starts regardless of which guy is the better fit during camp and pre-season...and man am i am ready to see mangini and especially dumbo held to the fire by the fans if they dont fix the bad offensive decisions they will undoubtedly make if gil and mike dont hold their hand through the entire season..;)

Still, the smallest fish could end up being the best option, if the other two fish can't get it done the way it needs to be done for a team that hasn't gotten it done since returning to the league more than a decade ago.

Hey Florio you douchebag, this isn't the same regime from 99. Pinning 10 years of failures on this regime is unfair and really narrow minded. The fish we have now should get along....swimmingly!

Seneca Wallace would likely be our starter under normal nfl circumstances but with mangini and daboll around and as offensively inept as they are they will naturally go with jake 'the interception machine" delhomme...besides starter money reassures jake starts regardless of which guy is the better fit during camp and pre-season...and man am i am ready to see mangini and especially dumbo held to the fire by the fans if they dont fix the bad offensive decisions they will undoubtedly make if gil and mike dont hold their hand through the entire season..;)

Eh ahhhh, it is nearly impossible to judge Daboll or Mangini on their offensive prowess after last year. I forgot who said it but somebody said "it's like playing chess with nothing but pawns" refering to a roster filled with rookies and mediocre vets.

Thanks Phil, for the cap hell you put this team in!!

Eh ahhhh, it is nearly impossible to judge Daboll or Mangini on their offensive prowess after last year. I forgot who said it but somebody said "it's like playing chess with nothing but pawns" refering to a roster filled with rookies and mediocre vets.

Thanks Phil, for the cap hell you put this team in!!

Actually its easy to see mangini's offensive shortcomings dating through his whole 4 years as a HC tautenbaum made it clear all along that he though mangini was holding back the jets offense and guess what...last year he was holding back ours and dabolls shortcomings are more to do with just not being a naturally gifted OC and or a lack of offensive knowledge and experience but his lack of offensive creativity and ingenuity coupled with his impatience and hotheaded temperament are what scare me the most about him, i love a fiery OC but a stupid hothead that has only himself to blame but lashes out at others is a different animal, add the fact that holmgren had to bring gil haskell in to teach these guys offense combined with what tartobaum has said all along speaks volumes for itself about both these guys and their lack of offensive prowess..

Im sure daboll is on the chopping block and mangini isnt far behind if we see some of the horrendous and often over-conservative playcalling and downright unresponsive coordinating we saw last year, players regardless of talent arent responsible for running bad and predictable plays or failing to adjust to changes made on the other sideline..in the nfl winning is about making it work with what ya got by changing things up and taking chances by trusting your players if and when you must its not about balling up and sucking your thumb while playing to lose and then blaming everyone else for it..

Im glad mangini gets another crack at it to prove whether he is taking us in the right direction or not but daboll is a different story and in my mind he will need to come out strong showing he can change up on the fly and adapt well to the tasks at hand all without blowing his top and blaming others for his poor coordinating, and i honestly dont see him as our OC for long unless he comes out with both guns blazing with swagger and proves he can handle the job on his own terms...

The bottomline is both these guys are as unproven as last years draft picks and holmgren/heckert need to deal with mangini on the same scale as he deals with players he deems to suck..you simply cut your losses if they cant get it done and get some people that can..im as sick of the musical chairs as much as anyone but if mangini or daboll cant get it done we need to rotate again not sit on a loser..

Actually its easy to see mangini's offensive shortcomings dating through his whole 4 years as a HC tautenbaum made it clear all along that he though mangini was holding back the jets offense and guess what...last year he was holding back ours and dabolls shortcomings are more to do with just not being a naturally gifted OC and or a lack of offensive knowledge and experience but his lack of offensive creativity and ingenuity coupled with his impatience and hotheaded temperament are what scare me the most about him, i love a fiery OC but a stupid hothead that has only himself to blame but lashes out at others is a different animal, add the fact that holmgren had to bring gil haskell in to teach these guys offense combined with what tartobaum has said all along speaks volumes for itself about both these guys and their lack of offensive prowess..

Im sure daboll is on the chopping block and mangini isnt far behind if we see some of the horrendous and often over-conservative playcalling and downright unresponsive coordinating we saw last year, players regardless of talent arent responsible for running bad and predictable plays or failing to adjust to changes made on the other sideline..in the nfl winning is about making it work with what ya got by changing things up and taking chances by trusting your players if and when you must its not about balling up and sucking your thumb while playing to lose and then blaming everyone else for it..

Im glad mangini gets another crack at it to prove whether he is taking us in the right direction or not but daboll is a different story and in my mind he will need to come out strong showing he can change up on the fly and adapt well to the tasks at hand all without blowing his top and blaming others for his poor coordinating, and i honestly dont see him as our OC for long unless he comes out with both guns blazing with swagger and proves he can handle the job on his own terms...

Shut the xxxx up already. Jesus.

I don't see the point in being a nagging pessimist.

Shut the xxxx up already. Jesus.

I don't see the point in being a nagging pessimist.

Haha just lay it out there. Gips seems to have it out for Mangini no matter what he does. He seems to want him to fail, if Mangini starts Delhomme and and sucks Holmgrens gonna can his ass....Haha your to much. Holmgren wanted Delhomme to "he's a leader that will grab you by the throat, and thats what this teams needs" remember that comment?

Gips "his impatience and hotheaded temperament are what scare me the most about him, i love a fiery OC but a stupid hothead that has only himself to blame but lashes out at others is a different animal" what the hell are you talking about. lol

He held the Jets offense back by having the best running game in the league..Good job Eric you SOB

Archived