THE BROWNS BOARD

Our FA's in bed with the Devil !!!

kamac19

With this man in control of the FA's that we are most wanting to keep, I can see it being a very expensive off season if we manage to retain even a couple of them.

I would like to see Vickers & Roth stay if we had to pick only a couple of the FA's that we would like to retain.

t1_rosenhaus.jpg

Cleveland Browns: Drew Rosenhaus is Agent for Elam, Roth, Vickers and Harrison

J Gatskie by

J Gatskie

Correspondent Written on May 14, 2010

The devil of agents himself, Drew Rosenhaus, represents our starting backfield.

Rosenhaus is the agent for both, Jerome Harrison and Lawrence Vickers. He also is the agent for starting outside linebacker Matt Roth and starting safety, Abe Elam.

Sports Illustrated made him the first agent to appear on its cover a few years ago. His picture was accompanied by the headline, "The most hated man in pro football."

Rosenhaus was portrayed in the movie, Jerry Maguire, as the unscrupulous Bob Sugar.

It is not surprising that they have missed all team activities up to this point and they will likely miss the mandatory minicamp June 10-12.

Rosenhaus is perhaps best known for representing Terrell Owens during the infamous Philadelphia Eagles affair. Owens was filmed doing push ups in his driveway and other ridiculous antics following a suspension from the team after an altercation with quarterback Donovan McNabb.

Rosenhaus represents over 100 NFL players including: wide receivers Chad Ochocinco of the Cincinnati Bengals and Desean Jackson of the Philadelphia Eagles.

He has not traditionally held players out of training camp but it is not unheard of.

In the NFL, contracts are not guaranteed like they are in baseball, so if a player gets hurt and gets cut in the middle of a multi-year deal, they have no recourse.

Rosenahus's theory is that if a player, such as Josh Cribbs, outperforms his deal in the middle of it he should be able to renegotiate it.

So, with Rosenhaus representing them, what can Harrison and Vickers expect to get?

Fullback Greg Jones of the Jacksonville Jaguars got a five year $17.4 million contract after the 2008 season, which at the time was considered the largest pact ever for a fullback.

Vickers, who has been injury free, and is the NFLs best blocking fullback, should be in line for something along those lines.

Harrison is much more difficult to predict.

He had an absolutely monster end to the 2009 season, racking up 570 yards in the Browns four game winning streak to close out the year. He had 862 for the year and scored five touchdowns.

Prior to that monster four game ride, Harrison had accumulated 740 yards over four seasons. He was not the starter for the bulk of the time, Jamal Lewis was, and his overall average yards per rush of 4.8 is excellent.

Harrison has good hands coming out of the backfield and seems to run decent routes.

There are some questions as to whether he could hold up to the pounding a feature back receives in the NFL and with that in mind, the Browns selected talented big back Montario Hardesty out of Tennessee in the second round of the draft.

So, now the Browns seem to be looking at Harrison as a co-feature back in a two back offense and that certainly will have an effect on the contract's bottom line.

Harrison best compares to the Buffalo Bills Fred Jackson, and the Seattle Seahawks Justin Forsett in terms of ability and production.

Jackson had signed a four year $7.5 million extension in 2008 and Forsett is playing under a four year $1.7 million deal he signed as a rookie. We can be sure that Rosenhaus is not going to settle for those numbers.

My guess is that Harrison wants somewhere between $3.5 and $4.5 million a year with a signing bonus of more than five million.

I have no idea if the Browns will pony up that kind of cash for a 5'9" 205 lb back when they have some backs in the stable.

In reserve, the Browns have James Davis, Peyton Hillis, and Chris Jennings at running back. All three have had moments, either in the regular season or the pre-season.

Outside of getting Vickers into camp, I believe signing Matt Roth is the most important piece of business left on the front office's agenda.

He had a tremendous impact on the defense in the six games he played following his acquisition, and made Kameron Wimbley expendable with his ability to get to the passer.

True pass rushing outside linebackers are difficult to find, and the Browns have to be willing to ante up and pay Roth at a rate commensurate with other pass rushers of similar abilities.

Shaun Phillips, outside linebacker for the San Diego Chargers, signed a six year $31 million dollar deal in 2007 after having a breakout year. I'm not saying Roth is worth that but expect Rosenhaus to.

According to Bleacher Report Featured Columnist Daniel Wolf, Rosenhaus is also the agent for Abe Elam, another unsigned Browns restricted free agent. According to a piece written by gridironfans.com, Elam wants a long term deal. With recent rookie draft picks at his position, look for these negotiations to be protracted.

Hopefully, these negotiations will resolve themselves quickly, but do not be surprised if they don't.

Bottom line is Rosenhaus knows the ropes and as was stated, isn't the type to have people hold out of camp as a first course of action.

He knows what players are getting and what they are worth.

I'd rather have that over some goof who is new to the game and doesn't have a clue as to what is a fair deal.

I see it like this.... Owners have their agents sitting at the table doing the negotiating for them, so players should do the same.

Rosenhaus is the guy I would hire

Personally i hope the browns get rid of elam and jackson...

Unhonest abe is not that good at any facet of his game and should be cut, he lacks ballhawking and cover skills, is pretty slow and is not good against the rush nor is he a great tackler...

Jackson on the otherhand is undersized and gets hurt a lot because of it...he simply doesnt fit in our 3-4 but could easily be a pro bowler in the right 4-3..we should try to trade him for a bag of potato chips..

Roth is worth keeping but nobody else has really proven their worth and or durability enough to warrant multi year contracts in my opinion...

And i hope that if the browns cant reach reasonable and fair arrangements with these guys that they cut their losses and move on in the best interest of the club ,most of our RFAs are already on the cusp of being replaced by equal or better talent fresh out of college anyways...and Rosenhaus and some players he represents certainly dont have the teams best interests at heart...

I am confident in mangini making things right regardless when it comes to dealing with those who miss OTA's and camps..this club needs football players that put the game and team first to a certain degree not guys who want a paycheck well in advance of what they know will be a pine riding injury fest and no help to the team, or in elams case a pile of doo always 10 yards behind and or a bad tackle away from his primary target ..

It must be nice to be able to sit back and get rich leaching off of everyone else's hard work like this fella does.

If he didn't work hard, nobody would hire him. Dude, he's not sitting back. There are plenty of agents sitting back. They're the ones with no clients.

Considering the "Team First" philosophy we have adopted , first with Mangini , and continued with Big Show , nothing sends a message to the FO as

"Until I see my name on a big contract , your OTAs can go fish . " I am not sure the FO can do to much to placate their desires after signing Cribbs deal . He got his through unusual effort and being the man he is . Now some of these UFA's are good but not to Cribbs extent . I think we should keep the ones that show and lose the ones that skip training and OTAs

It must be nice to be able to sit back and get rich leaching off of everyone else's hard work like this fella does.

Seems like a whole lot more people would do the job if it was so simple.

If it was so easy, why don't the players just handle it and save 4%-7% of the deal, not to mention the cost for any other various functions the agency may perform for the client... financial planning, estate planning, paying bills, marketing/PR, etc.

The reality is there aren't all that many who are qualified and good at that.

Seems like a whole lot more people would do the job if it was so simple.

If it was so easy, why don't the players just handle it and save 4%-7% of the deal, not to mention the cost for any other various functions the agency may perform for the client... financial planning, estate planning, paying bills, marketing/PR, etc.

The reality is there aren't all that many who are qualified and good at that.

Im pretty sure the accountant that the player's hire handle all the bills, financial planning, estate planning and all of that. I dont think this guy goes around checking out all his clients water bills making sure they paid them on time. Anyway's he's jewish so he was raised on the belief that it's ok to swindle people out of their money so I will give him that. If it were me, id rather keep that extra $250,000 he makes and tell the club how much I will play for and how much I wont play for.

I don't see why anyone would want to hire Drew Rosenhaus. If he has 100s of clients, how can he seriously give each one the attention he deserves. I feel like guys like Harrison and Jackson would get swept under the rug while Drew tries to get contracts for some of the "stars" of the league. I'm a graphic designer and seriously if I had to deal with 100 clients I would go nuts and of course I would spend more time with those that would bring me in the most income. So my point is maybe this isn't that big of a deal, and Drew won't really be the "devil" he is when he tries to get bigger contracts for the stars...

These guys should go get the "Jerry Maguire" agents with only a few clients who will work their butts off to get them the best contracts possible, not some Bob Sugar (Rosenhaus) jerk who couldn't care less about them.

Contracts are dealt with in different years, and how much attention is necessary??

You schedule a meeting with the team....allow a extra day before you have another scheduled in case you get held over.

Quit acting like the agent is supposed to allot 24-7 to the client.

And many of the agencies off a full range of legal and financial services.

From a players perspective if it much easier to get in to a relationship like that rather than have 2-3-4 different points of contact on various matters.

I hate sports agents to guys but we're getting off topic here. It's about the players. In a nutshell it works like this....

We may have a lock-out next year and so we shouldn't see too many hold-outs at all this year especially from expendable talent like Jackson, Elam, and Harrison. We are deep at all three positions now. All they are doing is ruining their chances of playing this year and that hurts them in the future as far as new contracts go. We can move on without them so they are only hurting themselves and will be buried at the bottom of the depth chart. The Browns have played these contracts perfectly up to this point and I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the tender to a 3rd on these guys before Training Camp starts. That's what I feel they are worth anyways. If we can't move them, and they hold out, so what? They have all been replaced by younger, faster, stronger, smarter, bigger, team-first, players anyways.

The Browns will pay what they want to. I am sure they have this already spreadsheeted and are ready for the annual merry go round. To Ballpeen's point, if any of us were lucky enough to be pro players we'd have an agent and probably want Rosenhaus (with the xception of the anti-semite geezer who posted earlier) I hope we can work out equitable deals with Harrison, Vickers and Roth. Elam and Jackson - bye bye. I hope they take a leaf out of Cribbs' book and don't miss any mandatory camps though - I know as a decent man I wouldn't do that, I also wouldn't setlle for less than I'm worth. Go to camp, play up and the FO will pay up........within reason.

Anyway's he's jewish so he was raised on the belief that it's ok to swindle people out of their money so I will give him that.

Is that what they teach in those synagogues? They must have forgot to share that 11th commandment "Thou may swindle".

Zombo

Im pretty sure the accountant that the player's hire handle all the bills, financial planning, estate planning and all of that. I dont think this guy goes around checking out all his clients water bills making sure they paid them on time. Anyway's he's jewish so he was raised on the belief that it's ok to swindle people out of their money so I will give him that. If it were me, id rather keep that extra $250,000 he makes and tell the club how much I will play for and how much I wont play for.

That not only is a very stupid statement , it borders on disturbing .

shalom :rolleyes:

Archived