THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns RFA running back Jerome Harrison joins OTAs despite not signing tender

USFBrown

Cleveland Browns RFA running back Jerome Harrison joins OTAs despite not signing tender

By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

May 27, 2010, 10:28AM

Jerome HarrisonCleveland Browns running back Jerome Harrison is practicing despite not being under contract.CLEVELAND -- Browns running back Jerome Harrison, who rushed for 561 yards in the final three games of last season, has been participating in organized team activities this week despite not signing his one-year tender yet.

Harrison was absent today, the one day of the week open to the media, but was here the first two days of the session. Coach Eric Mangini said Harrison's absence today was unrelated to his contract situatoion.

Mangini said Harrison is the only unrestricted free agent participating. The absentees are Matt Roth, D'Qwell Jackson, Lawrence Vickers and Abe Elam.

"I think it's good for everyone to be here because it's the second round of install and it helps the player and it helps us for when we go to camp,'' said Mangini. "I'm glad Jerome is here and I expect him to be here next week.''

The Browns have added two other running backs to compete with Harrison this season. Peyton Hillis was acquired in the trade with Denver for Brady Quinn, and the Browns traded up to draft Tennessee's Montario Hardesty in the second-round.

The Browns have said Harrison and Hardesty can provide a good one-two punch in the backfield, with Hardesty being more of the power back.

Harrison skipped the first session of OTAs last week presumably because of his contract situation.

Looks like the heat might be turning up with our (presumed) depth at RB. I'm just glad he's showing up now. I've always been a fan of his since ol tubby Crennel never gave him the ball after getting 10+ yards a touch!

This is Jerome's first legit shot at beginning the season as the starting RB for the Cleveland Browns. I'm certain he understands the importance of doing everything he can do to make sure he's ready to go. The contract will work itself out soon enough, hopefully.

This is Jerome's first legit shot at beginning the season as the starting RB for the Cleveland Browns. I'm certain he understands the importance of doing everything he can do to make sure he's ready to go. The contract will work itself out soon enough, hopefully.

A............if he understands all that where was he last week ?

B ...........Where is he today ?

I think he got scared

A............if he understands all that where was he last week ?

B ...........Where is he today ?

I think he got scared

I think you are right about scared or to more accurately say it...he didn't want to speak with reporters. Cannot blame him there.

Jerome keeps himself in pretty good shape during the offseason and perhaps he was just finishing off that program. These practices aren't mandatory and perhaps he was looking at it as such and then came to see, hear things about everyone and figured out being around could be just the leg up he needs.

Honestly, i LOVE the fact he's at least trying to do something different than JUST hold out. I also love the depth we've added in this short span of time, which really messed up some of the leverage Jerome had going into the offseason.

I think he realized he has no leverage in the matter and reluctantly showed up so he didn't lose his job. I expect to hear some drama coming from him before too long. Remember last year he and Mangini bumped heads because he didn't practice hard. They already have some friction between them and I can't imagine he's too happy about giving in.

If he shows he can beat all of these guys out, then you'd have to imagine he WILL get paid. Also, being around perhaps shows his stubborness, which frankly has held back his career, is beginning to wane.

Him being a part of the Browns makes us a better team, so i'm hopeful it is a positive sign all across the board.

If he shows he can beat all of these guys out, then you'd have to imagine he WILL get paid. Also, being around perhaps shows his stubborness, which frankly has held back his career, is beginning to wane.

Him being a part of the Browns makes us a better team, so i'm hopeful it is a positive sign all across the board.

I would really like to see him and Hardesty in the backfield this season with Hillis getting the short yardage situations.

He can't play it both ways. He is taking a big risk that he could be injured in a strange way and I seriously wonder if the browns would 'take care' of him after he was injured with no contract. But, maybe they would still give him what they had offered if that were to happen

He can't play it both ways. He is taking a big risk that he could be injured in a strange way and I seriously wonder if the browns would 'take care' of him after he was injured with no contract. But, maybe they would still give him what they had offered if that were to happen

Good point Dawg but i'm willing to bet, IF something bad like happened, some sort of deal would be arranged. Most teams like to negotiate in good faith and if something flukey took place, they won't totally stiff a guy. He won't get the big bucks he may've wanted/earned....but he'll get something.

I think he stands to gain more by showing up and impressing Mangini that he's ready to LEAD this team and make a major impact. Also, i think the three headed monster "H-Bomb" of Harrison, Hillis and Hardesty is going to blow up on people!

Here's a quote by him...from Thursday 05/27.

James Davis

(On what his expectations are for playing time this season)- “Right now, I just want to work my way in. I just did come off a season-ending injury. I just want to work as hard as I can to just get my health back and then be able to compete at that point.”

(On his solid play before his injury)- “I think that it gives me some confidence just going into the season that I’m able to see the speed of the game and I can adjust to it probably quicker than a lot of the rookies. But, I still feel like a rookie, but I think I could probably adjust sense I was able to go through the preseason and play a couple games in the season, so I feel pretty good.”

Harrison was smart to attend..he seems to understand there is a lot of competition at RB and that mangini seriously frowns on players that miss ota's and he already questions harrisons physical durability...it was in harrisons best interest to attend, now lets just hope he can stay healthy and help the team this year..

I could be wrong but this strikes me as Jerome coming to OTAs that he probably wanted to attend all along but his agent advised him not to. The one thing about Jerome Harrison that we know is that he worked REALLY hard to gain the respect of Coach Mangini last year and get back on the field; this was going to do nothing but push him down the depth chart. It doesn't make sense that he would feel terribly slighted and then do an about-face and show up.

I think that someone probably called him up and told him that between Hardesty, Davis and Hillis....there was already plenty of reason to fear he'd lose carries so he'd better get his ass to Berea.

Archived