THE BROWNS BOARD

MEMORIAL DAY SALUTE

Riffer X

Forgive me for posting this in the wrong forum but it is something I want noticed given the importance of this holiday weekend. It is a salute to those who have fought and died for our country.

I'm here to talk about the epic miniseries on HBO called 'The Pacific'. Last week was the tenth and last episode but it is still running all the time and available with On Demand and DVD. 'The Wire' will always be my favorite show of all time, but this miniseries is more than just epic, it is deeply emotional and has affected my life of late.

In simple terms, it tells the story of the hell our Marines (First Division) went through fighting the Japs in the big one. It's a story that quite frankly was never really told, but it has been now.

I have never seen anything close to depicting the realities of a brutal war quite like this, the closest thing that comes to mind is 'Saving Private Ryan' and the Normandy Invasion. This show is not for everybody, and I really don't recommend it for women. No offense, but a few gal friends of mine that I suggested it to couldn't get through it. To be honest, I'm not even sure that all the men out there can handle it.

The show encompasses some of the main battles in the Pacific Theatre, including Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, Peleliu, Iwo Jima and Okniawa. These guys fought for their lives, slaughtered Japs by the thousands, watched friends die at a debilitating rate, suffered through terrible conditions with no water or food, battled insanity and went through pure hell. For the survivors, many of them really couldn't understand why they made it when others didn't. The show is more than just the best battle scenes and conditions ever depicted, it goes into the psyche and what these kids dealt with prior to leaving and returning home.

As a former military guy (Army Recon Cav Scout and later Infantry), it hits home to an alarming degree, although being former military certainly isn't a prerequisite for appreciating what these folks went through. Let's just say it has given me a new appreciation for our troops, but what these guys went through is on another level. I can't imagine what it must have been like for these guys to make it home, only to not have anybody really know what they went through.

These guys are true heroes to the nth degree, not even close. The world was on the line and they fought like it, against an enemy that would rather die than stay alive a loser. The Japs were for real, way beyond these Islamic weirdos of today. Our boys went there with one mission, to kill Japs---and they did. As the story's main character (Eugene Sledge) said to a cute little college girl inquisitioning him as to his qualifications for school from the Marines,"The Marines taught me how to kill Japs, and I got pretty damn good at it."

This is just an epic undertaking of a show that deserves all the accreditation it can get. Below are some useful links if you would like to learn more about the show and what really went down in WWII.

http://www.recordernewspapers.com/articles...c1654993714.txt Good article depicting one of the main character's sons who didn't even know the atrocities his father went through.

http://www.hbo.com/the-pacific/index.html# HBO Homepage

http://www.pacificfans.com/ Fan website.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pacific_%28miniseries%29 Good Wiki summary of the show: producers, actors, battles etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-HBO-Miniseri...s/dp/B001IBIHQ4 DVD for those without HBO

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/..._of_Guadalcanal A great historical account of Guadalcanal. One part of the show that hit me was when 4 Marines that survived were on a ship afterward, beat down and ragged. A cook asks them if it was bad, because he heard it was. Then he told them they were heroes back home, which they had no idea.

Forgive me for posting this in the wrong forum but it is something I want noticed given the importance of this holiday weekend. It is a salute to those who have fought and died for our country.

I'm here to talk about the epic miniseries on HBO called 'The Pacific'. Last week was the tenth and last episode but it is still running all the time and available with On Demand and DVD. 'The Wire' will always be my favorite show of all time, but this miniseries is more than just epic, it is deeply emotional and has affected my life of late.

In simple terms, it tells the story of the hell our Marines (First Division) went through fighting the Japs in the big one. It's a story that quite frankly was never really told, but it has been now.

I have never seen anything close to depicting the realities of a brutal war quite like this, the closest thing that comes to mind is 'Saving Private Ryan' and the Normandy Invasion. This show is not for everybody, and I really don't recommend it for women. No offense, but a few gal friends of mine that I suggested it to couldn't get through it. To be honest, I'm not even sure that all the men out there can handle it.

The show encompasses some of the main battles in the Pacific Theatre, including Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, Peleliu, Iwo Jima and Okniawa. These guys fought for their lives, slaughtered Japs by the thousands, watched friends die at a debilitating rate, suffered through terrible conditions with no water or food, battled insanity and went through pure hell. For the survivors, many of them really couldn't understand why they made it when others didn't. The show is more than just the best battle scenes and conditions ever depicted, it goes into the psyche and what these kids dealt with prior to leaving and returning home.

As a former military guy (Army Recon Cav Scout and later Infantry), it hits home to an alarming degree, although being former military certainly isn't a prerequisite for appreciating what these folks went through. Let's just say it has given me a new appreciation for our troops, but what these guys went through is on another level. I can't imagine what it must have been like for these guys to make it home, only to not have anybody really know what they went through.

These guys are true heroes to the nth degree, not even close. The world was on the line and they fought like it, against an enemy that would rather die than stay alive a loser. The Japs were for real, way beyond these Islamic weirdos of today. Our boys went there with one mission, to kill Japs---and they did. As the story's main character (Eugene Sledge) said to a cute little college girl inquisitioning him as to his qualifications for school from the Marines,"The Marines taught me how to kill Japs, and I got pretty damn good at it."

This is just an epic undertaking of a show that deserves all the accreditation it can get. Below are some useful links if you would like to learn more about the show and what really went down in WWII.

http://www.recordernewspapers.com/articles...c1654993714.txt Good article depicting one of the main character's sons who didn't even know the atrocities his father went through.

http://www.hbo.com/the-pacific/index.html# HBO Homepage

http://www.pacificfans.com/ Fan website.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pacific_%28miniseries%29 Good Wiki summary of the show: producers, actors, battles etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-HBO-Miniseri...s/dp/B001IBIHQ4 DVD for those without HBO

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/..._of_Guadalcanal A great historical account of Guadalcanal. One part of the show that hit me was when 4 Marines that survived were on a ship afterward, beat down and ragged. A cook asks them if it was bad, because he heard it was. Then he told them they were heroes back home, which they had no idea.

I agree Riff. Pacific was outstanding. It was about as realistic as a show can be. It showed what it is REALLY LIKE to be in combat. Not the John Wayne bullshit. If you want to see what war is really like, without actually experiencing it, you have to see it. Check out HBO on Demand, Pacific. All ten episodes are on now. And for the Steeler Troll. Band of Brothers was also excellent. But I would rate Pacific better.

I agree Riff. Pacific was outstanding. It was about as realistic as a show can be. It showed what it is REALLY LIKE to be in combat. Not the John Wayne bullshit. If you want to see what war is really like, without actually experiencing it, you have to see it. Check out HBO on Demand, Pacific. All ten episodes are on now. And for the Steeler Troll. Band of Brothers was also excellent. But I would rate Pacific better.

Diehard buddy, I knew you would appreciate that and thanks for serving man.

I was never in combat... but my Dad, and uncles, and Father-in-law, and all the men

throughout the years who fought in combat I met in the service, or in everyday life... my salute goes out to them

in sincerity.

With WWII, they reshaped the entire world, those men did.

All those soldiers, men and women over these years who served, those who fought,

or didn't and just served...

a LOT of younger folks don't understand the awesome sacrifics they made, and make, and will make.

And my heart goes out to -everybody- who has known, or known of, some of those heroes who

never made it back.

It is a matter of HONOR to remember...

Terrific post, Riff.

I enjoyed the series a ton. The episodes involving the Battle of Peleliu were especially gripping.

And we're in agreement about The Wire as well. Simon's latest work on "Treme" has also been outstanding.

Thanks for the post, bud.

Beanpot

All Gave Some, Some gave All, is one of my favorite quotes from around military bases around the world. God Bless each and everyone of you who have served or will be serving in the US Miltary. Its people like us that make it happen.

Terrific post, Riff.

I enjoyed the series a ton. The episodes involving the Battle of Peleliu were especially gripping.

And we're in agreement about The Wire as well. Simon's latest work on "Treme" has also been outstanding.

Thanks for the post, bud.

Beanpot

The Battle of Peleliu is looked at now as pretty much unnecessary given the lack of strategic value and the new entrenched fighting style of the Japs. That was the bloodiest battle of the Pacific and one that is rarely mentioned. Plus, they had no water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Peleliu

Yeah, the "no water" part was especially compelling. I can't pretend to understand what it's like to be in combat, but I sure as hell can relate to the idea of being out of water. I mean, holy fukc. Not being a student (by any means) of military history, I find the lack of strategic gain to make that battle all the more fascinating.

Beanpot

I was really close to being a Marine but a knee injury forced me to choose a different path.

I have nothing but the greatest respect for the men and women who serve and have served our great country. Thank you for your contribution and sacrifice to protect us.

You know what really rubs me the wrong way: After September 11th happen all of a sudden Americans became patriotic. People flew flags and actually appreciated what our soldiers are doing for our country. I drove through my neighborhood and only saw 1 other flag flying besides mine. Are you telling me that even on memorial day people aernt flying flags. As someone mentioned above i challenge you to thank a soldier when you see one. Those that have never served know the sacrafices they make in order to defend our freedom. I pray that all of our soldiers return safe. God bless the USA!!!

You know what really rubs me the wrong way: After September 11th happen all of a sudden Americans became patriotic. People flew flags and actually appreciated what our soldiers are doing for our country. I drove through my neighborhood and only saw 1 other flag flying besides mine. Are you telling me that even on memorial day people aernt flying flags. As someone mentioned above i challenge you to thank a soldier when you see one. Those that have never served know the sacrafices they make in order to defend our freedom. I pray that all of our soldiers return safe. God bless the USA!!!

does God Bless America mean fuique everyone else................so far the last two wars are against defenseless nation with no fighting capability and yet we have won neither..........maybe you should MAKE A PLEA TO SUPPORT THE TROOPS...........get them the hell outta useless wars that accomplish nothing but spending us broke on bullets

This old Vet salutes all the fine people serving in our Military now, & never forget those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

I also salute the Families of those currently deployed & pray that their loved ones return safely.

God Bless them ALL!

Mike

How long did it take to get a WWII memorial in DC? 65 years?

May God Bless everyone who has made the choice to serve this nation.

Speaking of memorials, last year my son played in the National High School World Series in Lynchburg, VA. Before coming home, we made the trek both to Appomattox as well as to Bedford, VA. Obviously just about everyone knows what is in Appomattox, but in Bedford, VA, lies the National D-Day Memorial. We went to this...... after speaking to one of the volunteers, it pissed me off to know that the US Government does NOTHING for this place. It is all private funding and donations. Meaning in this economic downturn, it was coming closely to being closed for lack of funds.

The Govt can bail out idiotic bank loans and car manufacturers, but it cannot support what is arguably the one event of WWII that began to turn the tide and end the Hitler's dream. Unbelievable.....

Archived