THE BROWNS BOARD

Rumors and Speculation from the Ivory Tower

YtownBrownsBacker

A friend, who some on here know as Anoldawg, has a son that works in the media and he was in Cleveland for Crennel's and then Lerners news conferences. He has a friend doing an internship for the Browns and another in PR within the organization and the rumors and stories coming out of that place show just how disfunctional this organization is.

Know remember that these are purely rumors and speculation and unfounded, but I thought worth sharing. Might lighten up the mood but, some could even have a hint of truth to them.

First, Lerner loves continuity and believes in Savage. Very soon or at least before the season ends Lerner will hire a Vice President of football operations and have Savage report to him and also reduce Savage's duties. If Savage wants to stay with his reduced role, he will remain the GM. Savage would also have to give up his position as sole decision maker over personnel decisions. Lerner believes that to get a good coach, the coach will want some say so in drafting and roster moves.

Here's the stability and continuity part. Savage and Lerner want to keep Chud and most of the offensive coaches. so the new coach will have to buy into the present offensive system. So, everyone speculates they will go after a defensive coach. Of course the names of Marty "bend but don't break defese" and even Cam Cameron are being mentioned because of Chud and the offense system. Know, I can't see Marty and Savage, but it might be fun to watch.

One thing I didn't know is that Savage and Crennel, for all the nice things they say about each other in public aren't close at all. RAC was told to replace Anderson with Quinn because Savage and Lerner didn't want to hear the boos on National TV. RAC went over Savage's head to talk to Lerner (no balls), but Lerner told him Savage is boss. Thus the yank at first opportunity.

RAC already knows he's gone, so don't look for any emotional uplift at this point. Word is that they like Mel Tucker but not as a coordinator. They will ask him to stay on in a reduced roll as DB coach but still keep paying him the same money. Lerner realizes that he can't afford to pay Savage, RAC, Chud and Tucker to walk away. It would be over $20 million.

As far as coaches, and this was a big surprise. They feel that Wade Phillips will be let go at Dallas when the season ends and replaced by Garrett who they have been getting ready. The Browns are definately interested in Phillips and would throw a bundle of cash at him to come to Cleveland revamp the defense and keep the same offensive system. Other names bouncing around are Tice, Spagnola, who everyone wants, and even Nolan.

As for the players: What's funny is that everybody is split on the QBs. Some like Anderson and some like Quinn. One will go at the end of the season and it won't automatically be Anderson. It could be Quinn. This is Dorsey's last year. Everybody, including Dorsey, knows he won't be back. There plans seem to be to sign a veteran as a backup and draft a young QB (middle of the draft) to develop.

They seem resigned to the fact that Winslow will be traded if Savage remains. There's a reason he drafted Rucker. They also don't seem to willing to resign Sean Jones to a big FA contract. They will try to resign him only if the price is right. The feeling is that he may end up as a backup.

Players most feel won't be back. Some very obvious, some a surprise. McGinnest, A. Davis, Sean Smith, Sean Jones, Winslow, Anderson, Dorsey, Stallworth, Shafer and Lewis. They see drafting a big back early in the draft and using Harrison as a premier back with the big back. If they can't get a bi back, then Lewis may stay but his role will be reduced.

Remember, this is front office talk and could all change depending on who the new coach will be.

Guest Aloysius
Players most feel won't be back. Some very obvious, some a surprise. McGinnest, A. Davis, Sean Smith

That doesn't make much sense. Shaun's base salary next year is only $900K. And if the Browns cut him, he'll still count $1.8M against the cap.

I know there's been some talk that Shaun was one of the "quitters," but he'd be worth keeping around as DL depth at that salary.

Trent Dilfer was 100% right.

edited to add...I believe Ken Dorsey is under contract for the next 2 seasons.

Like most NFL contract, I don't think any of the money is guaranteed. Basically, he was Quinn's mentor, now they realize that if Anderson get's hurt, Dorsey would have to carry the team.

That doesn't make much sense. Shaun's base salary next year is only $900K. And if the Browns cut him, he'll still count $1.8M against the cap.

I know there's been some talk that Shaun was one of the "quitters," but he'd be worth keeping around as DL depth at that salary.

Sounds like Smith has worn out his welcome. I guess it will all be determined by whomever the new coach is. If your switching to a 4-3, you don't need 6 DTs. You got to go out and get some DEs and some OLBs. Wembley is one DE but Peek and Hall are more 3-4 hybrids. Maybe they could work out as WSLBs. Peek was traded by Houston because he couldn't handle it as a hand on the ground DE.

As for Smith, rumors are that he intimidates Tucker and is real close to RAC. Cincy let him go because he was a distraction and had a rep for taking plays off.

The one that surprise me was Jones. I know he isn't having a good season, but he has been playing hurt all year. I guess they don't like that TEs run away from him. A SS has to be able to cover a TE or back.

Again, remember that these are PR and personnel talking about this. Watercooler talk. But, they know Savage's ego and supposedly he has a long memory. I guess Savage makes his opinions about players known.

An anolddawg has the credibility of a slug.................so that about sums him up..............so

I will leave the post for those with wisdom

I remember you from the ABJ board. Integrity wasn't your strong suit. So, I believe most on herte will take what you say with a grain of salt. Besides, read the title, it is speculation and rumors, not intended to be insider information. Just some fun stuff to speculate about.

You are dismissed........................................

Crennel has named Quinn the starter for 2009 because that's what the organization has said. Anderson will be traded.

Yep Shep. The Browns would rather not live through another season of QB blah-blah-blah.

It just makes sense to give the reins to Quinn, trade DA, and work on the defense.

Yep Shep. The Browns would rather not live through another season of QB blah-blah-blah.

It just makes sense to give the reins to Quinn, trade DA, and work on the defense.

What does it matter what Crennel says about next year? He isn't going to be here. What matters is what the next coach thinks. He might not like either one.

Which is, by the way, what our bright front office should have done this year in the offseason...

Even though I put most of the blame on the coaches for this year. Savage left this team screwed when he didn't bring in help when Holly went down.

I think a new coach is going to want to keep Anderson.

I can't think of many coaches who would want to walk in to a job with a "starting" qb who has 2 starts under the belt and a cast on his hand.

Interesting stuff....we will see how it all works out.

Archived