THE BROWNS BOARD

Good articles about Montario Hardesty, Peyton Hillis

SJ_Browns

I think it's unfair to say the Browns success with running the ball at the end of the season only happened because they played some bad teams. The fact that the Browns qbs were only completing an extremely low amount of passes in these games and were still able to run the ball well, says alot about the Browns ground attack.

I don't care how bad some of those teams were, when the Browns basically told them they were going to run the ball all day and those opposing defenses STILL COULDN'T STOP THEM, you have to give the Browns rbs and blockers alot of credit.

I remember the Chiefs stacking 9 men in the box on a number of plays against the Browns and they still got run on. That 71(?) yd td run by Jerome was one example of their 9 man front getting dominated by the Browns (blockers and rb).

I think the Browns running game will be solid this year and hopefully it will help Jake out alot.

I think the running game will be improved for 2 reasons . One we had a good line last year and it will be even better this year for a couple reasons . Another year of playing together. And for Mack his second year in the league will show a more secure , stable , and motivated center not having to over think everything . Plus the new additions to an already good line means more success .(on paper)

Getting back Davis , and having Harrison , Vickers , Hillis , and Hardesty I believe we can be good . Will we ???? Man that is what training camp will shake out . And I can't wait :)

Here's a line from another Pluto article

"According to Profootballoutsiders, 63 percent of the Browns' runs were between one of their guards and the center. That is the third most in football. Since the Browns ranked No. 8 in rushing with the NFL's worst passing attack, it shows someone was blocking with authority."

The easiest way to slow a pass rush and attack a quick pursuing defense is to run it right at them. We did that well last year but our QB's weren't able to capitalize on it. With the addition of Delhomme we will be a much better balanced offense, and the defense will have to scheme for Cribbs and Wallace. I can see this being a pretty exciting offense to watch even with the old school pound it mentality

I think the running game will be improved for 2 reasons . One we had a good line last year and it will be even better this year for a couple reasons . Another year of playing together. And for Mack his second year in the league will show a more secure , stable , and motivated center not having to over think everything . Plus the new additions to an already good line means more success .(on paper)

Getting back Davis , and having Harrison , Vickers , Hillis , and Hardesty I believe we can be good . Will we ???? Man that is what training camp will shake out . And I can't wait :)

good points. i think the o-line will be better than last season. mack should be better than he was during his rookie year. i think he did well and should be even better this upcoming season.

we have a good platoon of rbs and that should create some healthy competition this summer.

Here's a line from another Pluto article

"According to Profootballoutsiders, 63 percent of the Browns' runs were between one of their guards and the center. That is the third most in football. Since the Browns ranked No. 8 in rushing with the NFL's worst passing attack, it shows someone was blocking with authority."

The easiest way to slow a pass rush and attack a quick pursuing defense is to run it right at them. We did that well last year but our QB's weren't able to capitalize on it. With the addition of Delhomme we will be a much better balanced offense, and the defense will have to scheme for Cribbs and Wallace. I can see this being a pretty exciting offense to watch even with the old school pound it mentality

you made an excellent point! the qbs really hindered the offense and left alot of plays on the field. imagine what the o could've done with the running attack they had plus better play from the qb position? we've been asking for a vet qb for the longest and now we have one. i think jake and the browns running game will benefit each other.

So will it be Harrison, Davis, Hardesty at HB, Hillis and Vickers at FB? I'm glad Davis has been mentioned here, I feel that most people have either forgotten about him or said that we should get rid of him which I think is ridiculous! Davis is a beast and he played more than Spiller back at Clemson...

Good read about Peyton Hillis from cleveland.com:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...ing_back_3.html

Cleveland - Browns running back Peyton Hillis is out to prove he's the gem of the Brady Quinn trade and not the one-year wonder some folks in Denver thought he was.

"I want to show the coaches they got a big steal," Hillis said during organized team activities last week. "That's just the way I think and work. I feel like I can do just about anything really well, whether it's running or blocking or catching the ball out of the backfield."

Unfortunately for Hillis, Broncos coach Josh McDaniels didn't see it that way last year when he took over in Denver. He inexplicably banished Hillis to the bench after his breakout rookie season, one in which he became a cult hero to Broncos fans.

After injuries to five Broncos backs in 2008, then-coach Mike Shanahan pressed his rookie fullback into service as the starting tailback late in the season. Hillis responded with a team-high 343 yards for the season and five touchdowns in six starts, including a 129-yard, one-touchdown game that helped beat Eric Mangini's Jets.

Selected by the Broncos in the seventh round out of Arkansas, Hillis also displayed excellent hands, catching seven passes for 116 yards and a TD against the Dolphins. He quickly became a fan favorite, especially when rumbling through defenders at the goal line.

"It was everything you dream about as a kid," said Hillis, 6-1 and 245 pounds. "You want to be a star in the NFL, and you want people to know who you are and see the good things that you do. I even astonished myself."

But the magic ended in Week 14 when he tore a hamstring and sat out the rest of the season. When McDaniels took over as head coach in the off-season, he brought in his own stable of backs, including free agents Correll Buckhalter and LaMont Jordan, and No. 12 overall pick Knowshon Moreno.

Suddenly, the Broncos' rookie phenom slipped to the back of the depth chart at tailback, and No. 2 at fullback.

"The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away," said Hillis. "It was just something I had to rebound from."

His disappearance from the Broncos' backfield remains a mystery, especially because McDaniels wouldn't even use him during a 2-6 stretch. Some say he fell out of favor in Week 2 against the Browns when he fumbled away the opening kickoff return at the Denver 20 to set up a Cleveland field goal. The Broncos went on to win, 27-6, but Hillis was a non-factor the rest of the season.

"I promise you I don't think it was anything bad at all," said Hillis. "I don't think it was a lack of work ethic or blocking ability or some of the other things people guessed at. It was just a new coach, new personnel and one man's opinion. Coach McDaniels is a smart man, and I think he's doing a great job in Denver."

The more McDaniels refused to play Hillis, the more fans and media in Denver clamored for him. Still, McDaniels denied that Hillis was in the doghouse.

"I just kept praying hard for a new beginning," said Hillis.

He got one when McDaniels traded him to Cleveland for Quinn on March 14. The Browns also received a sixth-round pick in 2011 and a conditional pick in 2012 that can improve from a sixth- to a third-rounder depending on Quinn's playing time.

"At first, it made me upset because I loved Denver," Hillis said. "I enjoyed the fans and the city. But when coach Mangini called, I was excited because it was new people and a team that really wanted me."

During OTAs last week, Hillis made some nice catches out of the backfield and lined up at multiple positions, showing the versatility that Mangini loves. He'll compete for playing time with Jerome Harrison, rookie Montario Hardesty, Lawrence Vickers, James Davis and Chris Jennings.

"He catches the ball well, he's 245 pounds and he's a really physical runner," Mangini said shortly after Hillis arrived. "He's tough with the football in his hands, and he can play tailback and fullback. You can mix him in a lot of different places. He's also played on special teams."

Hillis will do anything but would prefer to carry the ball. As a high school senior, he rushed for 2,631 yards and 29 touchdowns, and was heavily recruited. At Arkansas, he was off to a promising start at tailback until future first-round picks Darren McFadden and Felix Jones took over.

In 2006 and 2007, Hillis -- then a fullback -- blasted holes for McFadden and Jones to rush for 1,000 yards each. McFadden ended up going No. 4 overall to Oakland and Jones No. 22 to Dallas. But Hillis, the seventh-rounder, started more games than either of them his rookie year.

"I'm just grateful to have this chance," Hillis. "I can do a lot to help this team, and I think this will have a good outcome."

I remember the Chiefs stacking 9 men in the box on a number of plays against the Browns and they still got run on. That 71(?) yd td run by Jerome was one example of their 9 man front getting dominated by the Browns (blockers and rb).

Good point well made. I don't buy the bad team thing entirely either. The blocking and lane creation was superb and, as you say, those teams knew we couldn't throw the ball and yet we pounded them in the face all afternoon. I am also hugely pysched about the ground game for us this year.

Good read about Montario Hardesty from the Canton Repository:

http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x227916886...esty-fills-need

In retrospect, it seems fairly obvious the Cleveland Browns made a big mistake by passing three times on Shonn Greene.

They headed into the 2009 draft with an aging Jamal Lewis at running back and with three picks in the second round.

With those picks, they chose wideouts Brian Robiskie and Mohamed Massaquoi along with linebacker David Veikune, who played less on defense than Robiskie did on offense.

When the Browns were 1-11, Lewis was one of the unhappiest men in Berea.

When the Jets reached the AFC title game, General Manager Mike Tannenbaum might have felt like the luckiest man in football. Greene, a 5-foot-11, 230-pound battering ram from Iowa, became the leading rushing in the postseason with 304 yards.

He obliterated the Bengals in Round 1, rushing 21 times for 135 yards, including a 39-yard touchdown.

Maybe Montario Hardesty was a wakeup call.

Whereas the Jets got Greene at No. 65 overall, the Browns traded up in April to draft Hardesty at No. 59.

Hardesty is a bit taller and a bit lighter than Greene. There’s little doubt that the Browns hope he can be a little better.

“I know there have been some good rookie running backs,” Hardesty said during a recent practice. “I want to be a good rookie running back. But right now, I’m not looking that far ahead.”

Head Coach Eric Mangini says he loves big backs, and counts Hardesty as one. Standing next to him, he doesn’t look like a big back.

“I know,” Hardesty said.

Maybe it’s the sleek way he’s put together. The pounds — listed at 224, plenty big for an NFL runner — are all in the right places.

Hardesty talked fast and expressed thoughts in detail. His smile came easily, especially when talking about his high school track career.

The big back is a fast back. He placed second in a state track meet in the 100-meter dash in 10.49 seconds.

“Track was more for fun,” he said. “You’ve just got to hang out with your friends and, really, just before you run, get locked down.

“Football is totally different, something you’ve got to study for. In football, you’ve got to be able to train and run fast on the field ... and if you’re out in the open field, don’t let anyone catch you.”

Easier said than done in the NFL, but Hardesty plans to do it.

“When I get in front? Can’t let ’em catch me. Can’t let ’em do it,” Hardesty said. “Guys get angles now and then, but once I get in front ... (smiling) I’m not going to get caught.”

Hardesty was a captain at Tennessee. The way he handled the responsibility appealed to everyone in the Browns draft room.

“When the Cleveland Browns came up to get me, I was excited,” Hardesty said. “This has been my dream since I was young. I really couldn’t wait to get here. I don’t want to let Mr. (Tom) Heckert or Coach (Mike) Holmgren or Coach Mangini down.”

Hardesty may have to share a little or a lot with fifth-year Brown Jerome Harrison. He laughs off being able to handle a small load, if that becomes his portion.

“I was in both situations at Tennessee,” he said. “Three carries ... 25 carries. Either way, I want to maximize my opportunities.”

If the Browns get lucky, Hardesty will give them almost as strong an inside threat as Greene gives the Jets, and deliver a much bigger outside threat than Green can.

Hardesty has caught on quickly to what Mangini wants the offense to become, a “game-plan-specific” attack that changes every week. Both he and the team see him as having the potential to fit any plan.

The shifty little Harrison provides an outside threat, but Hardesty might, too, in a more threatening body.

“We were a zone-running team last year (at Tennessee),” Hardesty said. “That was our bread and butter.

“I try to press my landmark, press the line of scrimmage and don’t make my first cut until I get on the heels of the offensive linemen. Make my first cut, feel my second cut, and let it go.”

It sounds good. Can he do what Greene did? Make it look good?

Good point well made. I don't buy the bad team thing entirely either. The blocking and lane creation was superb and, as you say, those teams knew we couldn't throw the ball and yet we pounded them in the face all afternoon. I am also hugely pysched about the ground game for us this year.

the blocking and lane creation was damn good! i really like how alex mack basically mauled defenders on run plays. mack did alot of things well and one of them was opening up holes for guys like jerome.

Play action passes are going to finally work for us because we have a legit chance of making a 1st down by running on 3rd and 4.

I also think Mangini is going to show faith in his line and backs and we will take some 4th down shots this year.

Obviously you have to pick and choose the spots but 4th and a short 1 should be a time where mangini just tells them to cowboy up and get the damn yard.

I think you guys are going to like Hardesty. His best quality is toughness and fighting for extra yards. His biggest weakness in the NFL could be the same. You want a back to be tough and fight but he has to know when to get down too, or he will be stripped, or get hurt.

He is fast enough, big enough, and determined enough. Now if it just all comes together for him he will be a good NFL back IMHO.

Good luck.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, i love the depth we've added at RB. It now takes an X-Factor like James Davis and makes him less of someone we have to HOPE pans out. We've got depth and some talented depth, hell i still like Chris Jennings a bit!

I think you guys are going to like Hardesty. His best quality is toughness and fighting for extra yards. His biggest weakness in the NFL could be the same. You want a back to be tough and fight but he has to know when to get down too, or he will be stripped, or get hurt.

He is fast enough, big enough, and determined enough. Now if it just all comes together for him he will be a good NFL back IMHO.

Good luck.

thanks for the feedback. i believe the browns coaching staff will work with hardesty on the things he needs to improve on. i hear he's doing really well in the otas and is impressing his coaches with his football intellect.

another good read about montario:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/400096-...act-as-a-rookie

Stories have been told in the past of players having a tough time transitioning into the NFL from the college level.

Cleveland Browns rookie running back Montario Hardesty is proving that he has a very good grasp of both the playbook and the speed of the game, which proves the point made by some experts who say the running back is one of the easiest positions to start at as a rookie in the NFL.

The only problem is that Hardesty has managed to prove himself so far without pads and in no contact drills. Of course, that could quickly change come August in training camp, where players' NFL lives will be on the line, and the hitting becomes real and hard.

With all of the praise this year's second round pick (59th overall) out of Tennessee is receiving, according to many Cleveland.com reports, Hardesty may be a rookie, but is a rookie who will benefit by a strong left side of the offensive line, too.

Browns head coach Eric Mangini has already informed the media that the 2010 Browns will continue the trend they started using to win their last four games of the 2009 season.

And that is to run, and run some more.

Mangini has ranked in the top 10 the last two years in his teams' running offense: The New York Jets were ranked ninth in 2008, and the Browns were No. 8 in rushing in 2009.

The Browns appear to have a good group of young running backs on their depth chart, but it is a very inexperienced group as well, combining for approximately 325 total carriers in all their careers combined.

The youth factor may give Hardesty an edge, even over veteran Jerome Harrison since he is more of a smaller and quicker back, while Hardesty's bigger frame can take a pounding on first and second downs. He is also versatile, and can catch and run, too.

Not to discredit newly-acquired Denver fullback Peyton Hillis, who could get some first and second down reps, too, but his power running will help with short yardage and on the goal-line. He, too, can catch and run out of the backfield, or even in the slot position. Check out Hillis' highlights here . His hands are impressive.

Coaches are currently saying Hardesty has a great understanding for the playbook and the ability to already draw up plays on the dry-erase boards in the meeting rooms to make proper adjustments to offensive formations, as well.

It's really hard to judge a rookie running back without pads and contact since that is a big part of the game of football, but it is encouraging to know that at least one of the Browns' rookies is catching on quickly, and could make an impact in 2010 as a possible starter.

Whether or not Hardesty will be the starter remains to be seen, but it is nice to see the Browns will be bringing back smash-mouth football to the AFC North in 2010.

Good luck.

LOL the Browns had a back exactly like that once upon a time- his name was Leroy Hoard.

My big concern is if the guy can stay healthy in the NFL. If he does, Heckert looks like a genius the same way Buffalo did taking an injury risk named Thurman Thomas.

He was injured at UT but the only bad injury was the knee and that was 4 years ago. Fulmer had a penchant for playing upperclassmen over superior talented underclassmen. Case in point Jamal Lewis did not start the first few games of his freshman year. He wound up with over 1,000 yards I think. Hardesty probably should have played the last two years but Fulmer was determined to play Arian Foster (Texans). Both good but Hardesty was the more talented and tougher runner.

He will have some adjusting to do once the pads go on and the veterans light his butt up and welcome him to the NFL but I think he will be fine again if he doesn't get hurt like so many do. As far as I know he is a good off the field guy too.

I'll be watching the Browns this year to see how it goes.

LOL the Browns had a back exactly like that once upon a time- his name was Leroy Hoard.

My big concern is if the guy can stay healthy in the NFL. If he does, Heckert looks like a genius the same way Buffalo did taking an injury risk named Thurman Thomas.

Archived