THE BROWNS BOARD

Fans Cheer Anderson's Injury?

chumpchange

Didn't catch the game, but I was wondering if it was true the fans cheered when he went down?

As an aside, I feel bad for Anderson getting jeered if that's what happened, but, man, he is unprofessional. Taking credit for the play of the linemen, offering excuses for his own poor play, needling the fans' love of Quinn--and Quinn himself--by pointing out that he 'waxed' Notre Dame once, and then topping it off by saying the press corp is 'smoking crack'. He and Quinn are different as night and day as far as being the professional face of the franchise goes.

Browns QB Anderson heard the jeers after injury

Posted by Mary Kay Cabot/Plain Dealer Reporter November 30, 2008 20:35PM

Tracy Boulian/The Plain Dealer

As Derek Anderson was helped off the field following his knee injury late in the fourth quarter Sunday afternoon, the oft-maligned Browns quarterback said he could hear some fans cheering his misfortune. In what could be an unceremonious ending to his Browns career, Derek Anderson heard Browns fans cheering when the quarterback went down in the fourth quarter with a damaged left knee ligament that will probably end his season.

"They were cheering the fact that I was hurt," said Anderson after the 10-6 loss to the Colts. "They don't like me. That's well known."

The cheering was not lost on his teammates, who were upset by it. One said it was his lowest point in Cleveland Browns Stadium.

"We care about each other and that was very disappointing," said receiver Josh Cribbs, who could serve as the No. 2 quarterback behind Ken Dorsey next week in Tennesee. "We love our fans, but that just wasn't needed. Hopefully Derek isn't hurt too bad and he'll get back and they can cheer for him the next game."

Anderson suffered the injury with 1:07 remaining when end Robert Mathis beat right tackle Kevin Shaffer on a bull rush for a 10-yard sack. Shaffer's momentum knocked his helmet into Anderson's left knee and then Mathis grabbed Anderson's leg and brought him down.

"I don't remember making any contact," said Shaffer. "I just saw him laying there and knew something was up."

Anderson winced and collapsed when he tried to stand up. He had to be helped off the field by two trainers and was checked on the sidelines. Then he made the long, slow trek to the locker room, propped up by the trainers and limping badly.

"I just felt a burn, the pain," said Anderson. "I'm not really sure what happened. I'm disappointed. I think I sprained the [medial collateral ligament]. I'll get it evaluated and see exactly how bad it is. It doesn't feel very good."

Anderson suffered a mild MCL sprain in college, so he knows what one feels like.

"I did it in the bowl game when we waxed [brady Quinn] and Notre Dame," he said with a laugh.

Anderson's injury came in his first start after being benched for three games in favor of fan favorite Quinn, who's now out for the year with a broken finger. It was his chance to prove that he never should've lost his job in the first place. But with the Browns committing to Quinn as their quarterback of the future, it may have been his last game as a Brown.

"I started playing pretty well before the change was made, which is fine," said Anderson, who slipped to 13-14. "It was unfortunate the way I got put back in there, with Brady getting hurt. I was looking at it as five weeks to get guys going again. I think I did. I think I got the linemen, those guys played their tails off."

He said he also hoped to try to help save Romeo Crennel's job.

"Guys aren't going to give up in here," said Anderson. "We love RAC and we're going to play for RAC. That's the biggest thing these last four weeks, knowing the entire situation."

Anderson's frustration with the season and his lack of support by some fans and media was evident when asked about his strip-sack that resulted in the Colts' game-winning TD.

"[Dwight Freeney] hit me when I was throwing it and it comes out," said Anderson. "I'm not trying to drop balls and lose games for us. I know you guys think that sometimes. I'm giving it everything I've got. I'm obviously frustrated, I'm probably going to be sick about it tonight. We had an opportunity to beat the Colts. Peyton Manning is a guy I've watched and admired. It didn't happen."

The season will now most likely be turned over to Dorsey, who went 2-8 in spot duty in San Francisco, with eight touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

"Dorsey will do a good job," said Anderson. "He's with us every single week. Guys will play for him. The guy won a national championship [with Miami] and lost what, two games in college? He's smart and he knows the offense. I'll let you guys cheer for him."

Anderson, who completed his first seven passes, scoffed at someone's suggestion to start Cribbs at quarterback.

"We're not putting Josh in," said Anderson. "You guys are smoking crack. Because we're playing bad doesn't mean we're going to put a receiver at quarterback."

Said Dorsey: "It's unfortunate for anybody to go down like, but Derek especially, because he's worked extremely hard every week. Even when he's not the starter, he works hard. It was good to see him go out there and get in a rhythm."

Anderson was hoping the fans would cheer him in these last few starts, but not like that.

Wow, this story is certainly suprising considering the Cleveland fanbase.

:rolleyes:

Looks like 'ol byner was wrong about 7-9. You guys will be lucky to hit 5-11.

Meanwhile, in Steeltown we just guaranteed our 4th winning season in the last 5 years by embarassing the NFL's 'darling' franchise in their own house.

But hey, at least you're not the Bungles.

Knowing the fans, they were cheering Dorsey coming in.

So, cannon arm DA had 4.2 yards per throw.

I don't think that's called streching the field.

DA stares down receivers, even in the flat.

DA and Shaffer are qb killers. Shaffer should be a backup RG,

DA should be third string qb, (except he now makes too much)

Meanwhile, the DE that shoved big 320 lb Shaffer quickly into DA? 250 lbs.

You really have to be kidding. Right there, unless we sign one in FA, I may

start Camp Duke, the big outstanding OG who also has the feet to play RT,

all 326 lbs of him. bit early for that.

That's my Shaffer induced knee jerk reaction after this game.

Im not glad DA got hurt i hate to see any of our players get hurt but it hopefully assures we get a much needed new coaching staff because we wont win another game this year except maybe against cincy...like the guys on nfl today im for a complete purge of management from the president down its time lerner puts some people in there that want to build the browns to match the town...

Wow, this story is certainly suprising considering the Cleveland fanbase.

:rolleyes:

Looks like 'ol byner was wrong about 7-9. You guys will be lucky to hit 5-11.

Meanwhile, in Steeltown we just guaranteed our 4th winning season in the last 5 years by embarassing the NFL's 'darling' franchise in their own house.

But hey, at least you're not the Bungles.

goo Matt Cassel?

Wow. DA really went off! If he had shown this kind of fire about playing football games previously, Phil may not have been forced to make him sit. It's hard to excel at anything if you don't care. Classless. There may have been a few cheers, but not many. Hey DA, in case you didn't realize this, fans like winners.

Guest ATENEARS
Hey DA, in case you didn't realize this, fans like winners.

Bullshit. These Browns fans aren't your daddy's Browns fans, they are some of the most uneducated football fans I've been privy to sit among. I'm glad it ain't just me who notices though, as I was surprised how many around me in the stadium were in disgust of the timely Boo's and jeers.

Hey DA, in case you didn't realize this, fans like winners.

No they don't, he got booed last year too when he won 7 straight at home.

Fans like Brady Quinn. Quinn's presence is clearly more important than winning football games.

If Quinn's not in uniform, there is apparently no reason to show up for the game.

The half-filled stadium was covered with Cowher signs and the only thing on anybodies mind was to boo each play.

On the 3rd down pass to Jason Wright on the first drive where he got tackled on the sidelines short of the 1st, there was loud booing. At that point it was clear that the crowd had one thing on it's mind....a Colts blowout win.

I actually got the feeling that the crowd was upset that the Browns were ahead.

So now...60,000-70,000 fans showed up at CBS for no reason? They don't want the Browns to win. That's your guys' pathetic, Retarded reasoning?

You guys really can't see that we're sick of a Retard losing games single-handedly for us? And that he had very little to do with last year's winning in the first place? The only sorry fans around here are you guys who would rather settle for a flash in the pan QB who belongs on the bench the rest of his career, than strive for a real quarterback.

Lum is here ONLY for Derek Anderson. Wasn't here before, won't be here much after. Browns fans like the Browns. Atenears and Lumberg like DA.

For the last fucking time...DA had NOTHING to do with the winning last year. He's a lethargic, brainless loser who got lucky for a streak of games last year. That was his 15 minutes, and it's over. Now try to cheer for the Browns to win next year instead of wherever DA goes.

Bullshit. These Browns fans aren't your daddy's Browns fans, they are some of the most uneducated football fans I've been privy to sit among. I'm glad it ain't just me who notices though, as I was surprised how many around me in the stadium were in disgust of the timely Boo's and jeers.

I agree. You have a lot of punks attending the games. Most stand up the entire game so you have to stand up just to watch the frigging thing. Also I think a lot of the people attending the games are not season ticket holders, but people who buy the tickets from someone. In the old stadium my brother had season tickets, everyone knew each other in the area where he sat. They were not punk kids, but people who loved football. Everyone drank, but didn't act like buffoons.

For the last fucking time...DA had NOTHING to do with the winning last year. He's a lethargic, brainless loser who got lucky for a streak of games last year. That was his 15 minutes, and it's over. Now try to cheer for the Browns to win next year instead of wherever DA goes.

You don't accidentally throw 29 TDs, Bounty Hunter. As Phil said last year, it was DA who "saved all their jobs".

And there sure as shit was no 60,000 to 70,000 at the game yesterday.

Guest ATENEARS
So now...60,000-70,000 fans showed up at CBS for no reason? They don't want the Browns to win. That's your guys' pathetic, Retarded reasoning?

Try about 50,000, of which about 20,000 of those showed up to drink and be an asshole.

You guys really can't see that we're sick of a Retard losing games single-handedly for us? And that he had very little to do with last year's winning in the first place?

Who was responsible for our wins last season, if DA wasn't any part of it? Braylon? (LMFAO), Winslow? Joe Thomas? Jamal Lewis? Our Defense? Coaching? Joe J? ... Derek Anderson's play made all of the above better, you dumbass.

The only sorry fans around here are you guys who would rather settle for a flash in the pan QB who belongs on the bench the rest of his career, than strive for a real quarterback.

And your part of the group who always is calling for the next guy. "Put Cribbs in at QB!" "Give it to Harrison!" "Give Heiden more reps!" "Run behind Joe Thomas!" "Put Belle in!"

we are who we are and the best chance we have had at winning the past dozen years is with Derek Anderson at QB. You can call him whatever you want, but until another QB steps in and leads us to an 11 win season, he will always be our best QB whether he is a flash-in-the-pan r not, he's our best hope, was on the Browns roster, signed, sealed and on the field and you cried like a little bitch. You suck, and represent the new paper Browns fan.

Lum is here ONLY for Derek Anderson. Wasn't here before, won't be here much after. Browns fans like the Browns. Atenears and Lumberg like DA.

You are a flash-in-the-pan-fan, when did you join us here?

Cheer the Browns to win next year or Brady Queen? Lums and I where cheering the Browns this year while you took the season off in protest because your guy wasn't playing and you couldn't wear your new #10 Jersey with Pride.

Why is it any big deal if the remaining fans cheered an injured Anderson? Can you blame them? At least they stayed around after watching 2 1/2 hours of minimal offense in a cold rain. Then what little chance they have at seeing a rare home win goes right out the door when Anderson fumbles the ball away.

I'm willing to bet that had Romeo keeled over from a heart attack they would have cheered even louder, and if Savage slipped and fell out of his seat they would have cheered louder still.

It's nothing but a sick joke on this town to have an inferior QB stay healthy the entire time when we'd rather see Quinn play. Then as soon as Quinn gets hurt DA goes down? Unbelievable.

I hope someone holds Shaffer accountable for that play, in this life or the next. Allowing a smaller man to bull rush you into your QB is ridiculous.

Speaking as one of you long term, long time Browns fans, these fans are an embarrassment. The same meatheads that likley threw batteries a few years ago. I lived in Atlanta when that happened and sent in a thread they actually printed in the Atlanta Journal Constitution that apologized to the opponents fans and NFL for the behavior of some foolish fans, so as to try to save face for Browns fanbase.

For years I have always run into people that even though the team was weak, would always say ' Browns fans - most loyal, decent, classiest fans in the league'. Not anymore. I really don't care to be scrutinized when I wear any Browns gear out because too many dickheads have damaged the image. Here's an idea, go route for the Raiders or Jets, they're used to that crap and feed on it.

As for DA and the season, I am one that wanted to see DA sit and BQ in. I was and am, as many of you, so annoyed with this season, I was done a few weeks ago. The Ravens game, then the Denver game, then Houston. This team dropped out weeks ago. That much disfunction does not come from the QB. It comes from RAC and his crew. A strong leader role would whip a team with this much talent (I have to say tongue in cheek anymore, not sure if I'm just fooling myself) could be disciplined to perform if they had a coach with some imagination on offense, emotion on the side, etc., etc.

Finally, as for DA getting hurt, hate to see that hapen to any player. DA DID NOT DESERVE any crap from the fans and for his sake, I hope he goes onto to better roles elsewhere. He WAS a very large part of the apparent fake success we saw last year, so regardless of this years outcome, he deserves that much respect.

Future - BQ and a strong coach is what we need.

All the best DA for a strong recovery.

Guest ATENEARS
Speaking as one of you long term, long time Browns fans, these fans are an embarrassment. The same meatheads that likley threw batteries a few years ago. I lived in Atlanta when that happened and sent in a thread they actually printed in the Atlanta Journal Constitution that apologized to the opponents fans and NFL for the behavior of some foolish fans, so as to try to save face for Browns fanbase.

For years I have always run into people that even though the team was weak, would always say ' Browns fans - most loyal, decent, classiest fans in the league'. Not anymore. I really don't care to be scrutinized when I wear any Browns gear out because too many dickheads have damaged the image. Here's an idea, go route for the Raiders or Jets, they're used to that crap and feed on it.

As for DA and the season, I am one that wanted to see DA sit and BQ in. I was and am, as many of you, so annoyed with this season, I was done a few weeks ago. The Ravens game, then the Denver game, then Houston. This team dropped out weeks ago. That much disfunction does not come from the QB. It comes from RAC and his crew. A strong leader role would whip a team with this much talent (I have to say tongue in cheek anymore, not sure if I'm just fooling myself) could be disciplined to perform if they had a coach with some imagination on offense, emotion on the side, etc., etc.

Finally, as for DA getting hurt, hate to see that hapen to any player. DA DID NOT DESERVE any crap from the fans and for his sake, I hope he goes onto to better roles elsewhere. He WAS a very large part of the apparent fake success we saw last year, so regardless of this years outcome, he deserves that much respect.

Future - BQ and a strong coach is what we need.

All the best DA for a strong recovery.

Good Post, I agree 100%. Please, post more, the wrong side of our fan base is being heard right now.

I'm ashamed to be a Browns die-hard right now. I'll never root for ANY injury. I know the QB situation has been annoying this year...wish we just had one guy and knew he was the one to lead us forward. Guess it's true that when you have two QBs - you have none.

Do we forget that these players are human just like us? Do we forget that these people are not just players but part of a team that wants to win just like we do?

I know not every fan felt compelled to cheer for DA as he lay on the ground. But, I'm truly ashamed to walk into work today and listen to colleagues and Bengal fans talk about how sad it is for "fans" of any team to cheer for injury. We've gone through tough season after tough season and our great fan base has proven to be one of the best! Not this time. We just lost a ton of respect for acting so childish.

We can now be compared to the Raiders as a fan base. We look like idiots (even though it was not all of us rooting for our own player down)....

Yes, I was at the game, and thought the cheering was classless. I don't like Anderson, but he didn't deserve it. I was also at the Ravens game when fans cheered when Couch was hurt. I hate that shit, makes all Browns fans look like idiots.

That worked out real well...the only QB to take us to the playoffs in our rebirth gets shafted by our fans & Butch Davis. IMHO, it was Butch Davis who's put us in this stupid hole to begin with, and RAC has been unable to get us out with his ineptitude.

It was sickening to see so many empty seats yesterday. Even in the Paul McDonald-crap year of 1984, the place had 60,000 people there. I was at games in 1974 &75 when the place was full and we really, really were awful then too. Somehow, some way, this franchise has got to get this thing pointed in the right direction. There is a whole generation of younger fans who don't know what winning football looks like, and guys like me keep waiting for it to return. I'm not ever going to stop being a Browns fan, but it's getting harder & harder to take.

The biggest reason I sold my tickets for yesterday was the fans from last week. The team sucking didn't help but it was just depressing to sit there and hear my fellow fans booing their team and being drunken assholes. I will not buy another ticket untill quite a few things have changed. I had more fun not watching the game this week than I would have if I watched it.

Guest ATENEARS
Well of course we're not too bright. If we were, we'd pick a better team to root for.

You mean to 'Boo' ... we'd pick a better team to Boo, bitch and moan about.

Take a look at WPB Browns Fans post on 'QB Contracts'. Not to stick up for foolish acts by dumbass fans, but THAT is the reality of why fans act like they do. Players getting paid MILLIONS of dollars and yet they don't particularly NEED to perform. For Millions, they should be on the money every single time they are asked to play. 'Perfect' - always - when their paychecks rate in ranges most of the fans may see in 20 or 30 or 40 years combined.

These fans, again, are an embarrassment, but WPB's post gives food for thought. It annoys the heck out of me that a guy can make that kind of money and be allowed to have bad days, weeks, even months. Still, I'd like to think I'd never embarrass myself by cheering an injury of anyone else. That's horseshit.

I sincerely hope the lack of attendance does not make the organization think about relocating again, but instead what do they need to do actually provide what the fans want - make a winning team with consistent players.

USA Today: Another Browns low: Fans cheer Anderson's injury

When the home fans let loose with cheers for your injury, it's probably time to leave town.

Having heard the rah-rahs in Cleveland yesterday as he limped off the field with a sprained MCL, Derek Anderson understands that, and let it be known he doesn't expect to be back with the Browns.

When someone said "see you later" to Anderson in the locker room the quarterback replied, "Yeah, maybe in another life."

"They were cheering the fact that I was hurt. They don't like me," Anderson said. "That's well known."

"We love our fans, but that just wasn't needed", said the Browns' Josh Cribbs after Cleveland's 10-6 loss to Indianapolis.

The Browns fans who cheered might want to take note of the fact their ugly show came on a day of tortuous weather as Anderson outplayed Peyton Manning. Anderson was only 16-for-26 for 110 yards, but his passer rating of 71 was better than Manning's 46.8.

But Anderson did at least get the pleasure of taking a parting shot at his rival for the Browns QB job, Brady Quinn. He told reporters he had injured his MCL once before, in college, when his Oregon State team "waxed Notre Dame," then quarterbacked by Quinn.

Referencing the 2004 Insight Bowl, where he was MVP in a 38-21 victory, Anderson said, "Let that be known that I beat him."

To me, Anderson bragging at Quinn's expense was pretty classless and also sort of pathetic in that DA had to go back to college to compare games.

Quinn's been nothing but gracious and supportive of DA both when he was a backup and a starter, and Anderson's comments were meant to taunt the fan base and humiliate Quinn.

Sad.

Referencing the 2004 Insight Bowl, where he was MVP in a 38-21 victory, Anderson said, "Let that be known that I beat him."

Wow, if that doesn't prove that "Lumberg" is Anderson, I don't know what will.

I wasn't at the game, and didnt hear the cheering, but it's obviously a crummy thing to do, to cheer for an injury. However, respect is earned, not handed out like a raffle ticket, and the above quote exemplifies the attitude (whether reality or perceived) that garnered no respect for Anderson from the fans.

USA Today: Another Browns low: Fans cheer Anderson's injury

When the home fans let loose with cheers for your injury, it's probably time to leave town.

Having heard the rah-rahs in Cleveland yesterday as he limped off the field with a sprained MCL, Derek Anderson understands that, and let it be known he doesn't expect to be back with the Browns.

When someone said "see you later" to Anderson in the locker room the quarterback replied, "Yeah, maybe in another life."

"They were cheering the fact that I was hurt. They don't like me," Anderson said. "That's well known."

"We love our fans, but that just wasn't needed", said the Browns' Josh Cribbs after Cleveland's 10-6 loss to Indianapolis.

The Browns fans who cheered might want to take note of the fact their ugly show came on a day of tortuous weather as Anderson outplayed Peyton Manning. Anderson was only 16-for-26 for 110 yards, but his passer rating of 71 was better than Manning's 46.8.

But Anderson did at least get the pleasure of taking a parting shot at his rival for the Browns QB job, Brady Quinn. He told reporters he had injured his MCL once before, in college, when his Oregon State team "waxed Notre Dame," then quarterbacked by Quinn.

Here is a classic example of a loser QB...I cant wait till hes off Our Roster...good riddence chump!

Archived