THE BROWNS BOARD

An ideal transition to the 4-3

Roy.E.Munson

1st Round - Brian Orakpo DT Texas (515 lb bench and a 42" vertical..... BEAST!!!)

2nd Round - Clay Matthews Jr. OLB USC

- Make Wimbley put on 20 lbs of muscle!

- Then it looks like this......

4-3defense-1.jpg

What do you guys Think?????

I Like the speed of Matthews Jr and D'Qwell and i think peek has good size and we could work in Bell.

Corey Williams was better in the 3-4 any way....

Lets here it!!!!

I don't like DQ on the outside and that leaves a GAPING hole up the middle...Bell is an unknown quantity and Peek isn't going to play MLB or even be with the team next year. I'd probably take a ILB instead of Orakpo and try Robaire out there.

I don't like DQ on the outside and that leaves a GAPING hole up the middle...Bell is an unknown quantity and Peek isn't going to play MLB or even be with the team next year. I'd probably take a ILB instead of Orakpo and try Robaire out there.

So... you would put Robair at the Defensive End of a 4-3 defensive line....... Too Fat ...you need speed on the outside ... even in the 4-3.....

Tard!

If you want DQ in the middle

Then i would argue use Orre on the outside or even old man McGennest....

i still say robaire is too slow.....

Wimbley played DE in college..... it may be what he needs!

OK... take out peek... add Bart Scott or Jomathan Vilma for you OLB spot....

The point is i think my original front 4 would work the best ....

Ill admit that i was probably off on the OLB and MLB with peek and DQwell...

But if you move DQwell over and add a OLB in Free agency we are sitting dam good!

makes a lot more sense than having d'qwell on the outside or robaire as a DE.

i still prefer the 3-4, though. the 4-3 is a more predictable D, and we've not explored the better options available in the 3-4.

it's better to slightly adjust your scheme than it is to change it entirely.

Ebinezar ekuban.........Gerad Warren..........Alven McKenly..............Kenard Lang

I was hoping you'd go 4 for 4, reading from left to right, but you broke my heart when you spelled Kenard Lang correctly...

I was hoping you'd go 4 for 4, reading from left to right, but you broke my heart when you spelled Kenard Lang correctly...

I guess you can spell those ghetto names off the top of your head but i cant..... they sucked and why are you making fun of my spelling anyway...... do you not have better things to do....

Tard!

I guess you can spell those ghetto names off the top of your head but i cant.

Ebenezer Ekuban's an African name, not "ghetto." And Alvin McKinley and Gerard Warren could both very well be names of lily-white South Carolina Senators.

Ebenezer Ekuban's an African name, not "ghetto." And Alvin McKinley and Gerard Warren could both very well be names of lily-white South Carolina Senators.

xxxx it man i thought we where talking football on here.... now your going all "what do you mean you people" on me....

Get a life man!

If you have something to add to this thread then do it...or STFU and go cry on the political board

I am simply saying this......

suggs3-44.jpg

Fine.

We will not be able to sign Suggs, so forget about it. And I maintain Robaire could be a serviceable DE (he has played there extensively in the past). If we signed Suggs (we won't) and drafted Orakpo, we'd have way too much $$$ invested in our D line; yet another reason it ain't happening.

Now you can STFU and move onto something else.

Fine.

We will not be able to sign Suggs, so forget about it. And I maintain Robaire could be a serviceable DE (he has played there extensively in the past). If we signed Suggs (we won't) and drafted Orakpo, we'd have way too much $$$ invested in our D line; yet another reason it ain't happening.

Now you can STFU and move onto something else.

So why is suggs off limits....

And why would you want a "serviceable" Smith....

And why not invest in our DL.... the amount we are investing in them now aint cuttin it!

Thanx for keeping it football related... i know its in your nature to go all girly on everyone about everything but the topic!

Guest Masters
So... you would put Robair at the Defensive End of a 4-3 defensive line....... Too Fat ...you need speed on the outside ... even in the 4-3.....

Tard!

Ummm....Smith successfully played DE for TEN in the 4-3. He's not the sack spead rusher at DE, but more the book-end. He plays LDE.

So ok i took into consideration the arguments presented me.... and now i would picture our front 7 like this!

4-3switch.jpg

Now what!

i like your original 7... though Matthews has been playing his ass of at DE this season and has been unstoppable... Put some weight on him, let him rush the passer, keep Wimbley at LB

Matthews would be a great draft pick but i dont see him making it out of the first round you think we can get him in the second round he will more than likely be gone by then. he is what they say comes from good stock and is worth the money and being a first rounder. his father and uncle have paved the way for him and his bothers.

Guest Aloysius

If we switch base defenses, the transition will be anything but ideal. Unless you think that we've been playing with 4-3 personnel all along, there's going to be an adjustment period in which 4-3 guys are brought in & developed.

And I think making a transition-less switch to a 4-3 will be even more difficult this offseason. Why? There are very few guys available in free agency & the draft who'd be capable of playing strongside defensive end (LE) for us.

Yes, Robaire's played LE on run downs in the past, but big guys don't come back as quick after suffering Achilles injuries. I'm concerned about whether he'll even be an effective 3-4 DE; I don't think we can rely on him for a position that requires more speed.

Of the FA's, Julius Peppers will be way out of our price range, and Terrell Suggs is more of a RE than a LE. If you sign him, then Wimbley has to move back to linebacker (probably SLB), which I don't see happening.

Even Orakpo, the one constant in Roy's scenarios, mostly plays RE at Texas. He probably could play the strong-side, but he may be a better fit on the weakside. Other than him, I don't see anyone who could play LE from day one (maybe Greg Hardy, but he's got some durability/character issues).

So if we switch to a 4-3 & Orakpo is already off the board when we pick, what do we do?

If I were a GM stewarding our transition to a 4-3. here's what I'd do:

• Sign Angelo Crowell - Looked like a budding star at SLB in Buffalo's Tampa 2 before hurting his knee earlier this year.

May not be 100% to start next season, but that doesn't bother me too much. If anything, it might be a smart idea to let Leon Williams get a lot of time in camp at SLB; I think Shep's right about him possibly being a good 4-3 OLB.

If Leon plays well, you work Crowell into the starting lineup, or maybe having him man the other OLB spot.

• Sign Kevin Carter - Insurance policy in case you don't get Orakpo. At best, Carter has a year or two left in the tank, but he'd be good in a run/pass rotation with Alex Hall.
And then you get to the draft. Orakpo's already off the board when we pick, so we take Aaron Curry. Maybe go after a developmental LE in one of the later rounds, but I don't think there will be anyone in Round 2.

So you end up with this:

LE: Kevin Carter (run), Alex Hall (pass)

DT: Corey Williams

DT: Shaun Rogers

RE: Kamerion Wimbley

LOLB: Angelo Crowell, Leon Williams

MLB: D'Qwell Jackson

ROLB: Aaron Curry

By the way, it could be that the coaching staff would slide Curry inside to MLB and have DQ play the weakside. Either way, we'd have three solid linebackers.

The next year, you find your LE of the future. And depending on how Wimbley & Hall adjust to a 4-3, you may need to bring in two rushers.

But I don't think we'll be able to switch to a 4-3 without a t least one or two stopgap signings. If we stay in a 3-4, we may not have that problem.

If we switch base defenses, the transition will be anything but ideal. Unless you think that we've been playing with 4-3 personnel all along, there's going to be an adjustment period in which 4-3 guys are brought in & developed.

And I think making a transition-less switch to a 4-3 will be even more difficult this offseason. Why? There are very few guys available in free agency & the draft who'd be capable of playing strongside defensive end (LE) for us.

Yes, Robaire's played LE on run downs in the past, but big guys don't come back as quick after suffering Achilles injuries. I'm concerned about whether he'll even be an effective 3-4 DE; I don't think we can rely on him for a position that requires more speed.

Of the FA's, Julius Peppers will be way out of our price range, and Terrell Suggs is more of a RE than a LE. If you sign him, then Wimbley has to move back to linebacker (probably SLB), which I don't see happening.

Even Orakpo, the one constant in Roy's scenarios, mostly plays RE at Texas. He probably could play the strong-side, but he may be a better fit on the weakside. Other than him, I don't see anyone who could play LE from day one (maybe Greg Hardy, but he's got some durability/character issues).

So if we switch to a 4-3 & Orakpo is already off the board when we pick, what do we do?

If I were a GM stewarding our transition to a 4-3. here's what I'd do:

• Sign Angelo Crowell - Looked like a budding star at SLB in Buffalo's Tampa 2 before hurting his knee earlier this year.

May not be 100% to start next season, but that doesn't bother me too much. If anything, it might be a smart idea to let Leon Williams get a lot of time in camp at SLB; I think Shep's right about him possibly being a good 4-3 OLB.

If Leon plays well, you work Crowell into the starting lineup, or maybe having him man the other OLB spot.

• Sign Kevin Carter - Insurance policy in case you don't get Orakpo. At best, Carter has a year or two left in the tank, but he'd be good in a run/pass rotation with Alex Hall.
And then you get to the draft. Orakpo's already off the board when we pick, so we take Aaron Curry. Maybe go after a developmental LE in one of the later rounds, but I don't think there will be anyone in Round 2.

So you end up with this:

LE: Kevin Carter (run), Alex Hall (pass)

DT: Corey Williams

DT: Shaun Rogers

RE: Kamerion Wimbley

LOLB: Angelo Crowell, Leon Williams

MLB: D'Qwell Jackson

ROLB: Aaron Curry

By the way, it could be that the coaching staff would slide Curry inside to MLB and have DQ play the weakside. Either way, we'd have three solid linebackers.

The next year, you find your LE of the future. And depending on how Wimbley & Hall adjust to a 4-3, you may need to bring in two rushers.

But I don't think we'll be able to switch to a 4-3 without a t least one or two stopgap signings. If we stay in a 3-4, we may not have that problem.

I dont understand... if Orakpo is of the board.... why not pick up Rey Mauluga ILB USC

That makes more since to me than free agency!

i like your original 7... though Matthews has been playing his ass of at DE this season and has been unstoppable... Put some weight on him, let him rush the passer, keep Wimbley at LB

I don't like DQ as a middle linebacker which means we need three backers plus at least one defensive end. I'm not sure about wimbley playing de either. I prefer the 3/4, it isn't the defense it is coaching and execution. How many championships have been won in the past eight years with the 3/4?

Guest Aloysius
I dont understand... if Orakpo is of the board.... why not pick up Rey Mauluga ILB USC

That makes more since to me than free agency!

Aren't you from North Carolina? I'd think you would be hearing all about how good Aaron Curry is.

If we're switching to a 4-3, I'd definitely prefer Curry to Maualuga. Curry's better in coverage, and his blitz ability off the edge is pretty impressive.

You could slot him at any of the three linebacker spots, which could be important if, as DawgTracker says, D'Qwell doesn't turn out to be a good 4-3 MLB (If it's a Tampa 2, D'Qwell may not be athletic enough to drop back into deep coverage).

I'm not saying that Maualuga can't play in a 4-3; it's just that I've always thought that his appeal stemmed from him being the "thumper" 3-4 ILB type. Not sure how well all of that would translate to a 4-3 defense.

Aren't you from North Carolina? I'd think you would be hearing all about how good Aaron Curry is.

If we're switching to a 4-3, I'd definitely prefer Curry to Maualuga. Curry's better in coverage, and his blitz ability off the edge is pretty impressive.

You could slot him at any of the three linebacker spots, which could be important if, as DawgTracker says, D'Qwell doesn't turn out to be a good 4-3 MLB (If it's a Tampa 2, D'Qwell may not be athletic enough to drop back into deep coverage).

I'm not saying that Maualuga can't play in a 4-3; it's just that I've always thought that his appeal stemmed from him being the "thumper" 3-4 ILB type. Not sure how well all of that would translate to a 4-3 defense.

I do hail from the shores of NC.... but i dont listen to the Retards here on local am ... and definetly not the local pussy fans!

Do you watch D'Qwell on sundays... he is one of the mst athletic side line to side line guys we have... put talent around him and i bet he gets pro bowl caliber!

But yeah im not sure about Wimbley yet either!

Guest Aloysius

Oh, D'Qwell's definitely one of our most athletic linebackers. But at the end of the day, he's not a 4.5 or 4.6 guy; he's a 4.73 guy. DQ's more quick than fast.

He may be able to play MLB in a Tampa 2, but a guy like Aaron Curry would be better.

Anyway, I'm with DawgTracker in preferring the 3-4. When done right, a 3-4 defense is like a great work of art. Unfortunately, the system RAC's been employing is more like something a little kid drew up with crayons.

Bring in Rex Ryan as HC or Wade Phillips as DC, and this defense gets better.

I guess if i sit and reflect... my biggest problem with the 3- is our coaching staff.... if we clean slate and get new coaches i guess i would be more for it.

I mean ... was the 3-4 really designed to rush 3 and drop the OLB in coverage!

This is the worse use of the 3-4 i have ever seen.....

No matter who we get... i hope they help bring some much needed attitude to our DEFENCE!

One thing is for sure for those of you/us that want to stay in the 3-4... if Clay Mathews Jr. is there in round 2... he is a steal!

Archived