THE BROWNS BOARD

The Clock Starts - OBR article

SJ_Browns

-- To answer your question, yes, the Browns have sniffed around Patrick Clayton and his availability. To answer your next question, no, nothing is imminent on the trade front. The current Dallas Cowboys receiver would certainly be a player of interest if he gets his wish and is released.

-- Speaking of receivers, has the light bulb gone on for Brian Robiskie as last year’s rookie disappointment heads into his second season at the NFL level? The early returns – both public and private – have been somewhat of a resounding “yes!”, but at least one source warned of reading too much into what’s been accomplished by not only Robiskie but any player at this time of the year.

-- With that said, a receiver currently on the roster upping his game would be a huge boost to the offense. It doesn’t matter if it’s Robiskie or Chansi Stuckey or rookie Carlton Mitchell; finding another option already in Berea would be a boon to Jake Delhomme as he adjusts to a new offense and new teammates.

-- Owner Randy Lerner is said to be ecstatic with his prized front office additions, Mike Holmgren and Tom Heckert. While it may be an odd feeling to have just six months into the regime and zero games having been played, but, based on the turmoil and every-man-for-themselves attitude of previous and various regimes, Lerner feels he may have knocked one out the park – or at least has it heading toward the warning track – this time around based on how the key players in the organization are working together as (gasp!) one unit with one common goal. What an amazing concept.

-- Of course, that won’t mean squat if they can’t turn this listing ship around but, what the hell. They’re undefeated thus far in 2010.

-- As the Browns Tuesday extended the qualifying offers of their five remaining unsigned restricted free agents, the quintet will now have until June 15 to sign the tenders or risk having their salaries for the 2010 season substantially slashed. Three of those players – Jerome Harrison, Lawrence Vickers and Abe Elam – are expected to sign at some point before the drop-dead date. The other two – D’Qwell Jackson and Matt Roth – are the most likely to push the club and not put pen to paper.

-- Specifically regarding Jackson, all the signs are continuing to point to his disgruntlement heading past the June deadline and into training camp if the organization does not decide to at least make a minimal effort to start talks on a long-term contract the linebacker craves. And, more importantly, he feels like he’s earned and deserves.

-- Personally, I’m of the impression that the Browns could really care less about Jackson or his feelings. They’re striving to do what’s best for the organization, and it appears that they don’t feel like one way to accomplish that goal is by handing a long-term deal to a player coming off injury.

-- Negotiations between the organization and the agents for their rookies should start to get “hot and heavy” following the Fourth of July holiday according to one source. There could, however, be some preliminary conversations between now and then.

-- For the most part – and given the expected ups-and-downs of a player at the position – the Browns have been “impressed and, honestly, somewhat surprised” at the progress Colt McCoy has made during his short time as a member of the organization. In particular, Gil Haskell – hired in February as a special advisor to Holmgren – has been impressed by what he’s seen of the quarterback. That does not even remotely mean, however, that the rookie will be even remotely involved in a battle for the starting job come training camp. Barring any unexpected development – i.e. Delhomme’s limbs falling off – of course.

I didn't want Elam back this season but according to this looks like he will sign. I wanted Roth to stay but his antics might see him marginalised which disappoints me. Jackson can shove it frankly.

i agree with all of your points, esp. the one about dq. roth just doesn't get it. the dude should shut the hell up, show up for otas/training camp, play hard this season and show he deserves to be paid. i hope he doesn't think fans are going to rally to support him like cribbs contract situation.

I REALLY want Vickers back.. In my eyes, this would be a HUGE loss if he did not return.. Did you guys watch him block last year!?!? That cat is out to get someone!

vickers is a monster. i don't think the browns are going to let him go.

DQ Softserve can walk for all I care

Wali Rainer 2.0, when a team is as bad at stopping the run as the browns have been the past few years a MLB is going to get alot of tackles

which doesn't necessarily mean that player is overly talented

Vickers and Roth are important but the bottom line is if we get Vickers signed I will be happy . Roth is good but I feel he brings a bad attitude with him from Fla. and we just don't need it . DQ is lucky to have the money he has been tendered in my opinion , and would be wise to sign and just STFU . Elam is a non entity in my book .

I didn't want Elam back this season but according to this looks like he will sign. I wanted Roth to stay but his antics might see him marginalised which disappoints me. Jackson can shove it frankly.

I didnt want elam back either but hey even a mediocre backup needs a team to play on and thats what unhonest abe will be this time around...an overpaid backup and a fresh but slug slow pair of rotation legs for when an actual quality starter in the secondary gets tired from all that tight coverage, blitzing and sacking and they need to rest..putting "slow mo no ballhawking" elam in may be the only opportunity the other teams get to score this year but he is a slight upgrade to poteat...hehehehe ;)

I also like roth but agree his "me greed first antics" are rubbing me wrong and imho jackson isnt worth much to our 3-4...

Vickers and Roth are important but the bottom line is if we get Vickers signed I will be happy . Roth is good but I feel he brings a bad attitude with him from Fla. and we just don't need it . DQ is lucky to have the money he has been tendered in my opinion , and would be wise to sign and just STFU . Elam is a non entity in my book .

Totally agree about Elam.. could care less if he did not return.. He showed me nothing last year. I did like Roth and would like to see him return though... the dude just wants to get paid like everyone else... let the game play its course.. Vickers and Roth..

I almost feel bad for Harrison.. I really like him a lot too.. he seems to get shafted every year! The old regime puts him in.. he makes a HUGE play.. gets benched for the game... New regime.. has a BREAKOUT end of season.. now they aren't signing him.. Oh well.. it is completely out of our control.. we are just along for the ride..

Vickers, Roth, Harrison..

None of these guys have ANY leverage, so good luck on the holdouts. It is starting to make a LOT more sense as to WHY we were able to get Roth and WHY he was waived. I don't mind the players trying to negotiate into a better situation but understand to what level and advantage you are dealing from and move from there.

I'm hopeful we re-sign all of them and that it doesn't drag out. I think Jackson actually will fall in line quicker than Roth.

vickers is a monster. i don't think the browns are going to let him go.

Don't get me wrong....I like Vickers, but blocking backs don't thrill me all that much.

If he could catch or run a bit I would be more excited, but as it stands, we could put a smaller, back-up guard back there and do just as well.

I really don't think Vickers is in the plans with Hollis in town.

I think we are looking for a two headed monster in the backfield much like Mack and Byner....Vickers does't meet the requirements......he blocks and little else.

Vickers-I agree with Peen, & that's that Vickers is basically just a blocker.

DQ-He led a weak team in tackles, but VERY FEW for a loss. I've said it before & my tune hasn't changed.....He is NOT a disruptive/playmaking LB, he is a pursuit LB. I would like to know what the average gain is for the opposition on the plays where he makes the tackle. My bet is most are downfield.

Roth-I like his game, but I question his attitude. Before getting the long term deal, he has to establish a track record & that doesn't happen in 1/2 a season or less.

Harrison-He'd better show what he can do against solid competition, because Hardesty & Hillis are NOT stiffs.

Elam-As weak as our DB was last year, we still don't know what he can contribute

No matter what happens, I trust our decision makers, but if I was a player thinking I'm worth big bucks, I'm gonna be at EVERY drill, OTA, etc to PROVE I'm worth it. I'm not a fan of holdouts...not for voluntary workouts or whatever. If you want a job & a paycheck, you'll not earn it in absentia!

Mike

Vickers-I agree with Peen, & that's that Vickers is basically just a blocker.

i think i speak for myself and the other fan who gave props to vickers by saying we gave vickers props for being a great blocking back for the browns. he has alot of value for the browns in that manner and i hope the browns keep him.

Vickers is "just a blocker" like a three-inch thick porterhouse is "just a steak".

Vickers was just as valuable to our late season running over people as was Harrison. When we finally used Vickers as the battering ram he is, we started rolling on offense.

Any illusion that Hillis is now the man at fullback is insane. If Hillis makes the team it will be because of his versatility. Vickers will be the fullback/battering ram again ... and if he plays like he did toward the end of last year he is a Pro Bowl fullback.

Zombo

Vickers is "just a blocker" like a three-inch thick porterhouse is "just a steak".

Vickers was just as valuable to our late season running over people as was Harrison. When we finally used Vickers as the battering ram he is, we started rolling on offense.

Any illusion that Hillis is now the man at fullback is insane. If Hillis makes the team it will be because of his versatility. Vickers will be the fullback/battering ram again ... and if he plays like he did toward the end of last year he is a Pro Bowl fullback.

Zombo

To add onto what Zombo is saying, i actually also think we've under-used Vickers on offense. The guy has some power and a decent level of speed and not too terrible hands, from what i've seen. I'd like to see Browns use him more often in those roles too, although he does block the hell out of people and that probably tires him out fairly well.

Hillis will challenge Vickers and that is a good thing but i don't see him beating him out unless he blocks close to the same level.

After reading Peen's and others I have also realized with the additions to the o-line and the bringing in Hillis , We might be able to avoid a bigger contract for Vickers and rely on the changes . That would leave some money for other areas of need . I don't know. But I still like Vickers for not only his blocking , but special teams work as well . Ask Josh .

To add onto what Zombo is saying, i actually also think we've under-used Vickers on offense. The guy has some power and a decent level of speed and not too terrible hands, from what i've seen. I'd like to see Browns use him more often in those roles too, although he does block the hell out of people and that probably tires him out fairly well.

Hillis will challenge Vickers and that is a good thing but i don't see him beating him out unless he blocks close to the same level.

Seems like everytime they tried to do a swing pass to Vickers, he didn't go well. That is likely because of the turds we had at QB and not Vickers. But if he can catch about 15 to 20 passes a season, I see him becoming a Rathman type who's a better blocker.

Seems like everytime they tried to do a swing pass to Vickers, he didn't go well. That is likely because of the turds we had at QB and not Vickers. But if he can catch about 15 to 20 passes a season, I see him becoming a Rathman type who's a better blocker.

I could easily see that happening with the addition of a solid structure in place. I thought we were beginning to see if before the disaster of last season but he seemed to regress in that department. I'd love a Rathman-esque contribution from him offensively.

Zombo

my feelings exactly. to downplay vickers ability to be a great blocker for the browns rbs is foolish. i think hillis will bring versatility to the browns offense, but imo he's not here to replace vickers.

I just like running backs who can run and catch.

Sure, Vickers is a great blocker. If blocking is what you like out of the position, great, he's the guy.

Me, I like people lined up in the backfield to do more than block.

Fridge Perry was a great lead blocker...he even scored a TD or two.

FB....over rated position, and based on the urgency at which the Browns feel they need to sign the guy, it seems they feel the same.

Just the facts.

I just like running backs who can run and catch.

Sure, Vickers is a great blocker. If blocking is what you like out of the position, great, he's the guy.

Me, I like people lined up in the backfield to do more than block.

Fridge Perry was a great lead blocker...he even scored a TD or two.

FB....over rated position, and based on the urgency at which the Browns feel they need to sign the guy, it seems they feel the same.

Just the facts.

Well I like the Mangini virtue of multi-talents , so I can't argue with this other than to say Vickers is good on special teams , and also can catch the ball when the ball gets thrown by someone that has some touch .

Archived