THE BROWNS BOARD

Obama "Don't stock up on guns"

calfoxwc

Obama: Don't stock up on guns

Recommend (116) Comments

December 8, 2008

BY ABDON M. PALLASCH Political Reporter

As gun sales shoot up around the country, President-elect Barack Obama said Sunday that gun-owning Americans do not need to rush out and stock up before he is sworn in next month.

"I believe in common-sense gun safety laws, and I believe in the second amendment," Obama said at a news conference. "Lawful gun owners have nothing to fear. I said that throughout the campaign. I haven't indicated anything different during the transition. I think people can take me at my word."

But National Rifle Association spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said it's not Obama's words — but his legislative track record — that has gun-buyers flocking to the stores.

"Prior to his campaign for president, his record as a state legislator and as a U.S. Senator shows he voted for the most stringent forms of gun control, the most Draconian legislation, gun bans, ammunition bans and even an increase in federal excise taxes up to 500 percent for every gun and firearm sold," Arulanandam said.

Obama answered "yes" in 1996 to a questionnaire from an Illinois group on whether he supported a handgun ban. But he later said a staffer filled out that answer and he did not support a ban.

Nationally, background checks for gun purchases jumped nearly 49 percent during the week Obama was elected, compared with the same time period last year, according to the FBI's National Instant Background Check System.

Anecdotally, gun dealers around the country have reported spikes in sales. The Illinois State Rifle Association Reports gun sales for November were 38 percent higher than last year.

"We don't dispute [the gun sales hike] because the numbers from the federal system certainly confirm that there is increased activity out there. We just think it's a bit stupid," said Peter Hamm, spokesman for the Brady Campaign against Gun Violence.

"Anyone who thinks they need to rush out and buy a firearm clearly has not been paying attention to how quickly we make progress on this issue. We don't think these are first-time buyers. We think they are people who already have more than enough guns at their homes to protect themselves and are buying more."

n short, a rifleman is an armed American, trained in the tradition of American Liberty.

This is the kind of ethos that scares many Americans, and gives us such a bad name around the world. I'm sure your American Liberty gets threatened every day on the way to the local Burger King, right?

Sorry, but guns are for pussies.

Honest question, looking for honest answers. If I want mudslinging, I can get that anywhere.

Why are gun people (I have no problem with people of integrity owning a handgun, BTW) so ardent about the Second Amendment, but turn another cheek when the government passes something like the Patriot Act that chips away at a variety of civil liberties, seemingly gets condoned without a whimper.

This one confuses me.

Please help me better understand.

First off.... why are you guy protecting mz the pussy...???

Sencond: I hate the Patriot act! I tell everyone that I can that this is the end of freedoms as we know it!

Problem is that people today dont care as long as they get the latest news on Britany Spears!

Most people have not even read even a sentece of it ... but feel dafe knowing its their...

I feel vialated and so should every american!

Honest question, looking for honest answers. If I want mudslinging, I can get that anywhere.

Why are gun people (I have no problem with people of integrity owning a handgun, BTW) so ardent about the Second Amendment, but turn another cheek when the government passes something like the Patriot Act that chips away at a variety of civil liberties, seemingly gets condoned without a whimper.

This one confuses me.

Please help me better understand.

My Dad has his concealed weapons permit...is a member of the NRA....and can hardly go a day without mentioning to me that Obama is going to take our guns away...so I feel I may have some insight into this.

Both issues fall into an "us vs them" mentality.

WE (euphemism) need the guns to protect ourselves. It is OUR right to have them and nobody should take that right away.

As for the Patriot act...in my Dad's mind (and I believe in the minds of many)...it is never even considered that the civil liberties you speak about would be taken from them. It is not like you are taking something concrete (like their gun) out of their hands...and most people honestly believe the government would have no reason to 'spy' on them (and therefore won't do it...so nothing lost).

The truth is...the civil liberties that people are worried about in respect to the Patriot act aren't really being taken away...but rather infringed upon for a select few. And it is a difficult jump for most to make from infringement on a few to total loss of rights/liberties. There is no such 'leap' when it comes to the guns. You either keep the right to have them...or they are taken away.

And that is why those seemingly contrasting viewpoints (IMHO) can co-exist.

The truth is...the civil liberties that people are worried about in respect to the Patriot act aren't really being taken away...but rather infringed upon for a select few. And it is a difficult jump for most to make from infringement on a few to total loss of rights/liberties. There is no such 'leap' when it comes to the guns. You either keep the right to have them...or they are taken away.

And I guess you know the guidlines for these "select few" that will be infringed upon!

The patriot act is a joke... have you read it?

And I guess you know the guidlines for these "select few" that will be infringed upon!

The patriot act is a joke... have you read it?

Roy...I am not saying that this is 'reality'...I am saying it is PERCEIVED as such.

I hate the Patriot Act. I think it is a bunch of crap...and I find it funny that Obama is now letting wire tapping without a warrant continue under this act....

But MOST people just don't understand the underlying implications of this. They see it as 'somebody else' getting tapped....and have no idea that THEY could be tapped and have personal/professional information used against them.

So, get off the soap box. Again...I didn't say that ALL GUN TOTERS have this problem. In fact, I think MOST PEOPLE have no clue. And THAT is why it is so insidious.

Anyway...I was just trying to explain how the two diametrically opposing standpoints could make sense to some.

Roy...I am not saying that this is 'reality'...I am saying it is PERCEIVED as such.

I hate the Patriot Act. I think it is a bunch of crap...and I find it funny that Obama is now letting wire tapping without a warrant continue under this act....

But MOST people just don't understand the underlying implications of this. They see it as 'somebody else' getting tapped....and have no idea that THEY could be tapped and have personal/professional information used against them.

So, get off the soap box. Again...I didn't say that ALL GUN TOTERS have this problem. In fact, I think MOST PEOPLE have no clue. And THAT is why it is so insidious.

Anyway...I was just trying to explain how the two diametrically opposing standpoints could make sense to some.

OK... OK... settle down ... it seems we both think that the Patriot Act is bad news... so we can agree on that ....

We have guns. Taking them away? Not going to happen, but Obama's vote to increase the registration to $500, affects millions

of Americans.

the right to hunt. The right to protect your family and your home.

The Patriot Act? Isn't denying me anything. My privacy is just fine.

But, then again, I'm not a terrorist nor a terrorist supporter/sympathizer.

In this electronic age, to realize that bin laden contacts someone in the United States,

is to find out who the heyl is it, and nail em.

Plain and simple - it's dumb to require somebody handcarrying a warrant to a judge, getting

it signed, etc etcetc.

The Patriot Act would be hailed as a brilliant anti-terror weapon, if it had been passed while

Obama was president.

Require a Congression oversight, somebody to oversee all these things, he wears a beeper/cell phone/hot direct phone line

whatever, I don't care.

But why do some complain that the Patriot Act violate the civil rights of everybody?

The Patriot Act was instituted for a REASON, to enable the good guys? to nail the terrorists

before they could strike us again.

Now, if anti-Patriot Act folks can come up with a better idea, let's hear it.

Owning a gun has nothing to do with "being a man". A lot of women own guns.

It has to do with protecting your family, yourself and your home, and hunting.

I believe in freedom and safety. Guns make myself and my family safe, and the Patriot

Act, we can only hope, protects us from those who would do another 9/11.

Has the Patriot Act AFFECTED anybody here at all? (outside of being a reason for partisan whining?)

There are coyote tracks out around our woods. That is a danger to neighbors smaller pets.

They will be fewer pretty soon.

HINT: The gov/police forces are not omnipresent. I ever tell ya the story about having a mountain lion roar close to me after

dark, in the woods, when I was in the fifth grade?

Or, about us walking early this spring out in the back woods, and seeing black bear tracks?

Americans have every RIGHT to own guns.

And our intel has every RIGHT to track down terrorists via electronic eavesdropping.

John, there is no right to deny our Intel from being common sense able to do what they need to do.

If there ever is an abuse? There should be hell to pay.

So far, it's the liberal thing to ban:

Guns, SUV's, God in anywhere public, Christmas anywhere public, home schooling, parental notification on minor children,

definition of man/woman marriage definition, criticism of Obama, eating meat, cows farting, electoral college, voting ID's,

private schools, any radio or TV personality that is conservative and critical of the above, hunting, fishing, campfires, coal heating,

woodburning furnaces, allowing our intel servies to immediately lock in and track terrorist communications, vouchers, pickup trucks,

creationism in schools,

oh, but they get all bent out of shape over their imaginary violated rights via the Patriot Act?

If the Patriot Act is any kind of problem to anyone, what is the solution to the described reason for it in the first place?

Why Gun Control Laws Are Killing People

September 4, 2008

Doug McIntosh

The verdict is in on America's 95 year fetish with gun control. The verdict is total failure. Gun control doesn't guarantee you will not need a personal weapon to defend yourself, gun control merely guarantees you will not have a personal weapon with you when you need it. The first serious effort at mass gun control, the banning of the personal possession of a handgun, took place in New York City in 1911. The Sullivan Law made the private possession of a handgun illegal in New York City. The Sullivan Law has been copied in Washington D. C. and is now under challenge at the Supreme Court. The decision will come by June 30th, 2008.

The results of mass gun control have been predictable. Modern gun control laws have merely guaranteed that when bad things happen, as in Virginia Tech, or Northern Illinois University, or on a Long Island commuter train, the slaughter is inevitable. The reason the slaughter is inevitable is because the people being slaughtered have no personal weapons to defend themselves. And the reason this is so, the lack of personal weapons, is modern American Gun Control laws. So, the actual result of gun control laws designed to "protect" the American people has been to increase the carnage in various incidents.

One of the fatal flaws in the philosophy underlining the intellectual foundations of modern gun control is a naive misunderstanding of life, along with an even more naive belief in the ability of the "system" to protect people. The idea that all people have to do is call 911 and then wait for a magical response is beyond naive: it is foolish and deadly. This philosophy eliminates individual responsibility with the kind of deadly results we routinely see at mass shootings. Gun control laws first assume life is not dangerous and then follow this with a dogmatic belief the law enforcement system will be there. These are simply not valid intellectually because they are neither logical or true; yet, these two false premises lead repeatedly to the deaths of innocents. Just because you belief a crazed shooter will not come into your life; just because you believe that if they do a quick phone call to 911 will save you doesn't make it so.

The reason I have spent some time on this, is simple. There are only two valid intellectual positions on gun control: you either support it, or you don't. America has taken a somewhat strange position in between. They pretend gun control will work when it is needed; then brazenly decide it will not be needed, since it has already worked and thus is not needed. The flawed logic of gun control says it will not be needed since the man coming down the aisle on that Long Island commuter train shooting people, should not have the gun. And once he has the gun, and once he starts shooting, gun control fails. At that point, once the crazy starts shooting, the innocents merely die. There is nothing else they can do since gun control has worked by disarming them.

Again, there are only two logical intellectual responses to a situation like the Long Island commuter train shooting. The first is the one taken by the wife of one of the innocent victims. She became enraged, correctly enraged, and ran against a "pro gun" Congressman, defeated him and now is a champion of the gun control lobby. She made one of the two intellectual choices. The reason her family members died at the hands of an armed lunatic is because gun control failed. And the reason gun control failed is because we don't have enough gun control laws. So, ergo she becomes the enraged woman taking on the crazed gun control lobby, and crazed people like me who own personal weapons and even had a concealed weapon permit at one time.

This is a valid position in my view. It is an incorrect position, an illogical one, but it is a heartfelt one and should not be treated with contempt by people like myself. She paid for her views with the blood of her husband. No one who supports the private possession of handguns and other weapons, and the Second Amendment in general, has any standing to deride her or people like her.

However, that does not mean I accept her logic, or her position on gun control. You see there are two intellectual positions on gun control related the Long Island commuter train, or Virginia Tech, or Northern Illinois University. And I take the other one. The other one being very simple. What gun control means to me is simply proper shooting technique. Based upon the Second Amendment with its armed Militia clauses, plus the historical record; the historical sayings of the Founding Fathers; finally, over 230 years of American history, there is no doubt in my mind of three things: first, absolute Constitutional protection of the private ownership of handguns, rifles and shotguns; second, the armed militia being all American citizens/people of good moral standing between the ages of 17 and 55 and third, the absolute right of concealed carry by any American Citizen of good moral standing. These are not in my view, privileges, or subject to governmental "infringement" as the Constitution says. These are rights, derived from our status as created beings as defined in the American Constitution. Like I said, this is the other intellectual position you can take on gun control.

The first position, we need more gun control is not valid. My position, the armed citizen militia member is a more accurate, logical and realistic response to life and all its dangers than modern gun control law. There are only two positions, pro or anti gun control. There are only two choices: to think life will never send a lunatic shooter your way or it might. And there are only two results if it does: to live or to die. I choose life. In the event I was on that Long Island commuter train, I would have simply pulled out my personal weapon, my concealed personal handgun and eliminated the threat, eliminated the shooter and saved lives. My position is the reason those people died is there was no one there like me to deal with the problem. This being the whole point of concealed handgun carry; this being why the system despises the armed citizen so much. It tells people they are the children of patriots, self reliant, independent and free.

You see, it is not a case of everything, can happen everywhere, all the time. To believe this is mere paranoia. It is more accurate to say, anything can happen anywhere; at anytime. And that is why the only logical and reasonable position on gun control is for the armed citizen/militia member with their concealed handgun to be available for the protection of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness if and when the situation arises. Gun control is a failure. It is long past due for a national concealed handgun carry permit. Let the crazies understand the sheep have fangs and the shooting will stop.

OBAMA'S Common Sense Gun Control Policy is to allow criminals and there families to be able to sue you when you use a fire arm to protect your property and family from thiefs and rapists. Kinda like suing Banks (ACORN) to let Poor Blacks get Mortgages regardless of there credit report.

Meanwhile, Wisconsin is having a problem with too many wolves.

And WV is having too many bears, at least SE WV....

and we DID see black and cub tracks this early spring.

Black bears can be very dangerous. I've attended bear seminars by an expert.

Go watch Animal Planet and catch the show "man eaters".

And, we have a few black bears in Oh, and coyotes.

And from my fifth grade experience on our farm in S. Ohio -

one in a while, a mountain lion.

Anti gun folks can defend themselves with a rock or stick if they accidently

meet up with a wild animal like one of these...

I don't think they'll be against guns after that.

Coyotes are getting to be a problem, local farmers are seeing the tracks

a'plenty around their houses.

I'd rather have a great outdoors president. One with common sense.

Maybe I'll go check out a slightly bigger rifle... .225 maybe?

I think they do hunt bear in WV.

If we're out and I see a bear, he'll run.

But, a lady jogger was killed for her Subway sandwich in early spring, down in Tennessee.

Black bears -can- be very, very dangerous.

Which, is why I freaked when I went up a hill in the mountains of Georgia,

Black Mountain State park, to be exact...

and was going to retrieve a cooler for the older couple next camp over...

but the bear hadn't left yet. He was still there, about 12 yds? away from me,

eating a cooked chicken.

But they can kill, and this spring, I'll have a rifle with me.

And the early spring one night in the 60's ? Mountain lion, S. Oh?

Oh yeah, early spring certain bears and predators can move from up north

to find less snow and more food.

But, I've told these stories in detail in the past....

My Dad has his concealed weapons permit...is a member of the NRA....and can hardly go a day without mentioning to me that Obama is going to take our guns away...so I feel I may have some insight into this.

Both issues fall into an "us vs them" mentality.

WE (euphemism) need the guns to protect ourselves. It is OUR right to have them and nobody should take that right away.

As for the Patriot act...in my Dad's mind (and I believe in the minds of many)...it is never even considered that the civil liberties you speak about would be taken from them. It is not like you are taking something concrete (like their gun) out of their hands...and most people honestly believe the government would have no reason to 'spy' on them (and therefore won't do it...so nothing lost).

my dad also has his concealed carry. we are both lifelong NRA members, and i'm not talking about the tight-ass lifelong version where you pay once at a reduced rate....we pay full price every year. it's not about showing my lifelong NRA "badge" to anyone, it's about contribution monetarily to a cause i believe in.

this "great and wonderful country our forefathers envisioned" is at odds with our "great and wonderful government" on a daily basis.....and the day to use them may have been predicted to happen by them well before now. owing all that cake to king george after the revolution might have had something to do with our guns being #2 on the list of rights, considering the constitution was partially written to tie "the people" to "the debt", as the articles only held the orig 13 colonies liable to repay it, not the people. hence the first words of the constitution being "we the people"...........but that's another animal.

i feel ownership of guns is not about today....or protecting ourselves from thugs, BEARS! etc.

it's about the future, the ability to "take the power back" if necessary.

this is where the partiot act places itself at odds with our right to own and posess firearms.

due to the intentionally vague verbage the illustrious patriot act can easily be manipulated to remove all guns at any moment--at the first sign of "legitimate" trouble the govt can order martial law on us and legally, and effectively remove all the guns from our possession. nice huh? we are a presidential spoken sentence away from losing them at any given moment.

got any old muzzle loaders or pre-registration style shooters? better hide them well, cuz if the shiz goes down, those will be all we have. i've been stocking up on lead for a couple years. realistically, wheel weights from an auto salvage yard could have more value than gold someday.

mass hysteria over annunaki or niburu in 2012? bye bye guns. presidential assination (heaven forbid, obama or otherwise) and they just might take them as a mere precaution. they've been consistently raiding Americans of their firearms for several years now. basically it begins as a knock on your door and next thing you know.........unarmed.

you can't fight city hall.

not anymore at least, thanks to the wonderous patriot act. what if this thing was written for a while and they were just waiting for the right "incident" to roll it out? i truly feel the patriot act was at least half written to enable the removal of guns from american's, should the desire ever arise.

We have guns. Taking them away? Not going to happen, but Obama's vote to increase the registration to $500, affects millions

of Americans.

the right to hunt. The right to protect your family and your home.

In this electronic age, to realize that bin laden contacts someone in the United States,

is to find out who the heyl is it, and nail em.

Plain and simple - it's dumb to require somebody handcarrying a warrant to a judge, getting

it signed, etc etcetc.

The Patriot Act would be hailed as a brilliant anti-terror weapon, if it had been passed while

Obama was president.

Require a Congression oversight, somebody to oversee all these things, he wears a beeper/cell phone/hot direct phone line

whatever, I don't care.

But why do some complain that the Patriot Act violate the civil rights of everybody?

The Patriot Act was instituted for a REASON, to enable the good guys? to nail the terrorists

before they could strike us again.

Now, if anti-Patriot Act folks can come up with a better idea, let's hear it.

Owning a gun has nothing to do with "being a man". A lot of women own guns.

I believe in freedom and safety. Guns make myself and my family safe, and the Patriot

Act, we can only hope, protects us from those who would do another 9/11.

Has the Patriot Act AFFECTED anybody here at all? (outside of being a reason for partisan whining?)

There are coyote tracks out around our woods. That is a danger to neighbors smaller pets.

They will be fewer pretty soon.

HINT: The gov/police forces are not omnipresent. I ever tell ya the story about having a mountain lion roar close to me after

dark, in the woods, when I was in the fifth grade?

Or, about us walking early this spring out in the back woods, and seeing black bear tracks?

Americans have every RIGHT to own guns.

And our intel has every RIGHT to track down terrorists via electronic eavesdropping.

John, there is no right to deny our Intel from being common sense able to do what they need to do.

If there ever is an abuse? There should be hell to pay.

So far, it's the liberal thing to ban:

Guns, SUV's, God in anywhere public, Christmas anywhere public, home schooling, parental notification on minor children,

definition of man/woman marriage definition, criticism of Obama, eating meat, cows farting, electoral college, voting ID's,

private schools, any radio or TV personality that is conservative and critical of the above, hunting, fishing, campfires, coal heating,

woodburning furnaces, allowing our intel servies to immediately lock in and track terrorist communications, vouchers, pickup trucks,

creationism in schools,

oh, but they get all bent out of shape over their imaginary violated rights via the Patriot Act?

If the Patriot Act is any kind of problem to anyone, what is the solution to the described reason for it in the first place?

i'll probably regret even replying cal. as i read my experiences cause me to disagree with your views fairly consistently. your words come from a world i understand, yet have grown so much larger than. not trying to insult but it always seems to happen.

protecting your family? from what? shooting coyote? get a trap! we all have rights on this rock, unless you truly are the human elitist i suspect you are.

"

patriot act is for terrorists? most people have nothing to hide? protection and hunting?!? that all? try to see the forest through the trees. if they ever declare martial law and take away your right to shoot animals maybe then you'll realize the fine print.

we're obviously on different levels>>i think i should just go. there's no way this will end well. ;)

OBAMA'S Common Sense Gun Control Policy is to allow criminals and there families to be able to sue you when you use a fire arm to protect your property and family from thiefs and rapists. Kinda like suing Banks (ACORN) to let Poor Blacks get Mortgages regardless of there credit report.
don't like it move to one of the 13 "castle" states.

or get a taser. :P

i'll probably regret even replying cal. as i read my experiences cause me to disagree with your views fairly consistently. your words come from a world i understand, yet have grown so much larger than. not trying to insult but it always seems to happen.

protecting your family? from what? shooting coyote? get a trap! we all have rights on this rock, unless you truly are the human elitist i suspect you are.

patriot act is for terrorists? most people have nothing to hide? protection and hunting?!? that all? try to see the forest through the trees. if they ever declare martial law and take away your right to shoot animals maybe then you'll realize the fine print.

we're obviously on different levels>>i think i should just go. there's no way this will end well.

********************************************************************************

Oh, get a grip. I'm a more sophisticated, non-confrontational arguer now. And probably just as wrong as before :rolleyes:

I do know about the martial law provisions, etc...but in my naivete' , I can't see that ever happening. I mean, something happens,

or a law is passed, and the entire nation will have their guns taken away?

The gov would self-destruct itself in the attempt. I do worry about gradual control, like registration fees raised $500 percent (which OBAMA

DID vote for in Illinois - remember how he spoke of cost/pricing the coal companise out of existence?)

But some folks rail against the Patriot Act, and couldn't care less about Obama's votes against guns in Illinois, or the UN starting to get international

treaties that would undermine our Seas soverignty, or our rights for cititzens in our USA to own guns. Obama's votes were more like

a not noticeable incremented martial law with no martial law...

Although, once Obama is pres, maybe I will start worrying about the stuff you mentioned regarding the Patriot Act... I'm just a positive humorous

kind of guy.

But registration of guns? Nope. That's just a precursor to being able to take them one way, or another. Background checks with the

apps being destroyed ? Fine by me.

Except that libs in Congress want to stop those apps from being destroyed....

protecting your family? from what? shooting coyote? get a trap! we all have rights on this rock, unless you truly are the human elitist i suspect you are.Sisjy

I know I sit here and goof off, and to myself, I'm funny.... GGG

But seriously, what do you mean by the above? What ??? @@

ROF,LMAO - that second one is hilarious. I have to send that one to a long list of friends.

Well, 4 of us went to central Ontario after we graduated from HS, way, way out in the wilderness,

Rocky Island Lake, and it was across the lake from the end of the jeep trail.

Had a bear step on our tent in the middle of the night about 5 days later. He walked away.

Saw another black bear crossing a bay, same lake.

Black bear are getting less afraid of people.

On the Alaskan cruise, the bear seminar expert said that Grizzlies will attack, but usually

only if surprised or defending cubs.

Unless they are feeding in a salmon area, in which case they don't take lightly to an intrusion

on their territory.

He said a grizzly attack - best chance to survive is to play dead, curled up in a ball.

Not guaranteed, but when they are easily 12' tall and 1500 lbs, what else to do?

BUT, if you are attacked by a black bear, especially in the spring, you must fight back

to save your life - the black bear wants you for dinner.

so, 4 of us adults didn't go out panning for gold on our own. "Discretion is the Better Part of Valor."

But on vacation in Georgia that time, I was fortunate to have done the right things, (except for looking the

bear in the eyes, that's a no-no) and got back down the dense wooded hill intact.

(up close - you'd be shocked at how much bigger the bear's head is)

Anyways, after seeing the tracks near our woods this spring? rifle/bear spray, which you can buy

at you local hunting/fishing store. The spray works excellently they say, but not for very long...

I have a remmington 870, .357 mag, .40 cal, .45 cal., AR-15 bushmaster, .44 mag. Lots of ammo. All real men have lots of guns. We have to protect this country against the Red Chinese who are already taking over our country!

High five!

High Five!

Archived