THE BROWNS BOARD

Tom Izzo to Coach the Cavs?

The Cleveland Cavaliers have reportedly found its next coach. The News-Herald is reporting that the team has made an offer to Michigan State coach Tom Izzo to come take over the Cavs, though Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski reports that his sources say an offer hasn't yet been made.

Izzo, a four-time Coach of the Year, currently makes about $3 million a year, according to the News-Herald, and is under contract till 2016. He led his 2000 team to a national title and his teams have gone to the NCAA tournament 13 years straight, with six visits to the Final Four.

Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert is a Michigan State alum and, the News-Herald reports, a big fan of Izzo, but Wojnarowski says via Twitter that the "sense is Cavs franchise is too unsettled for him to leave Mich State now. NBA intrigues him, but he's cautious."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5259123

Michigan State athletic director Mark Hollis denied to the The Associated Press that the Cavs have offered Izzo a contract but confirmed the team is interested in the Spartans' coach.

"There is not a contract offer on the table," Hollis said in a telephone interview with the AP. "Last week, there was talk that Chicago and New Jersey were interested. If I was anywhere but at Michigan State, I would be interested in Tom, too, because he's the best coach in college basketball."

A source told ESPN.com's Andy Katz that Izzo told Michigan State that he hasn't been offered a contract and a lot of the reports have been blown out of proportion.

The Cleveland Cavaliers have reportedly found its next coach. The News-Herald is reporting that the team has made an offer to Michigan State coach Tom Izzo to come take over the Cavs, though Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski reports that his sources say an offer hasn't yet been made.

Izzo, a four-time Coach of the Year, currently makes about $3 million a year, according to the News-Herald, and is under contract till 2016. He led his 2000 team to a national title and his teams have gone to the NCAA tournament 13 years straight, with six visits to the Final Four.

Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert is a Michigan State alum and, the News-Herald reports, a big fan of Izzo, but Wojnarowski says via Twitter that the "sense is Cavs franchise is too unsettled for him to leave Mich State now. NBA intrigues him, but he's cautious."

Well he did coach Team USA in the Pan-Am games, but agreed- everything hinges on what LeBron does.

He is NOT an NBA coach, that is the point. Yea his teams overachieve with COLLEGE players. Not a good hire.

I dont get what your tying to say, are you saying because he's a college coach its a bad hire? Or do you just not like his coaching style?

If its just because he's a college coach Id say who out there thats available intrigues you more that has NBA experience thats realistic.

Izzo wins with great coaching, and his players love him and he's very loyal. He's not a Callipari, or Thad Matta that win with recruiting, Izzo's a great coach. I don't see why that couldnt transfer to the NBA

I don't get what your tying to say, are you saying because he's a college coach its a bad hire? Or do you just not like his coaching style?

If its just because he's a college coach Id say who out there thats available intrigues you more that has NBA experience thats realistic.

Izzo wins with great coaching, and his players love him and he's very loyal. He's not a Callipari, or Thad Matta that win with recruiting, Izzo's a great coach. I don't see why that couldn't transfer to the NBA

Not saying it couldn't but it usually doesn't. That direction has produced a lot more flops than successes.

Who's better that might be available? Jeff Van Gundy and Byron Scott for starters. Brian Shaw- an assistant for the Lakers is getting props from both Phil Jackson and Shaquile O Neal.

College Coaches in the NBA

Not saying it couldn't but it usually doesn't. That direction has produced a lot more flops than successes.

Who's better that might be available? Jeff Van Gundy and Byron Scott for starters. Brian Shaw- an assistant for the Lakers is getting props from both Phil Jackson and Shaquile O Neal.

College Coaches in the NBA

Hell no to Van Gundy, good commentator bad coach. Byron Scott I could live with, he's proven he can turn franchises into winners. Brian Shaw is a bigger reach than Izzo IMO, If hes that coveted wouldnt the Lakers tell him he's there coach of the future and have him be an assistant for another year or two?

I understand alot of coaches have failed trying to make the transition to the NBA game but almost every time there getting hired onto a bad team.

I dont get what your tying to say, are you saying because he's a college coach its a bad hire? Or do you just not like his coaching style?

Izzo wins with great coaching, and his players love him and he's very loyal. He's not a Callipari, or Thad Matta that win with recruiting, Izzo's a great coach. I don't see why that couldnt transfer to the NBA

What stars have been through Michigan State? 2 maybe 3, Zack Randolph (lol) off the top of my head. Coach is king in college, the player is king in the NBA.

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=29584

Breaking News: Tom Izzo Informs Michigan State Players He Plans To Take Cavaliers Head Coaching Position

Sources close to WFNY have informed us that Tom Izzo has told his players at Michigan State that he plans on taking the Cavaliers job. Our sources have heard directly from players on the MSU team that Izzo informed them this week that he is planning on making the move up to the NBA level under the ownership of MSU grad Dan Gilbert. We have also heard from a separate source that Izzo is holding off on announcing this until the end of the week, when his kids finish up school in the Lansing area. While Izzo could always change his mind, we are comfortable reporting that he has in fact informed his players at Michigan State that he will be taking the Cavaliers job.

More details as we get them.

Update from Rick: We have three separate confirmations. Nobody at WFNY expects Izzo to announce a press conference immediately in response to this. He has his timing. We will stand by the story and wait it out.

Thats my point, without having stars he ranks third in winning percentage in the NCAA tournament behind only Duke and North Carolina. He gets it done when It matters without bigtime recruits.

Way different ball game. Why is Izzo exempt from the college to NBA failure scenario? And how does coming in coaching the best team in the NBA match your explanation of not having "big time recruits". You are comparing apples and oranges. He doesn't know how to handle a team of stars, that is the point. I wish him well and wish he succeeds because I am a die hard Cavs fans, but he will not. I hope I am wrong.

Way different ball game. Why is Izzo exempt from the college to NBA failure scenario? And how does coming in coaching the best team in the NBA match not having "big time recruits". You are comparing apples and oranges. He doesn't know how to handle a team of stars, at least from your explanation. I wish him well and wish he succeeds because I am a die hard Cavs fans, but he will not. I hope I am wrong.

Im not saying he's exempt, Im saying he's better equipped and will have better talent than those before him.

I said he has won in college without big time recruits which tells you he can coach'em up and present a winning gameplan.

Where in my explanation did I say he cant handle stars? If he can win with 2nd tier players is it crazy to think he can with superstars. As long as the players buy into the

program theres no reason to believe he cant

Im not saying he's exempt, Im saying he's better equipped and will have better talent than those before him.

I said he has won in college without big time recruits which tells you he can coach'em up and present a winning gameplan.

Where in my explanation did I say he cant handle stars? If he can win with 2nd tier players is it crazy to think he can with superstars. As long as the players buy into the

program theres no reason to believe he cant

It's about dealing with egos in the NBA, and LeBron's is approaching the size of his poster hanging on the side of Tower City. If it's Izzo, impossible not to believe that LBJ didn't sign off on it. You really don't "coach up" players in the NBA- that's a job for your assistants to correct minor flaws.

Mike Brown flopped in the playoffs because he couldn't make in game adjustments. That's where you earn your money coaching in the NBA.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5271586

That source discussed Izzo's future with a close confidant of Izzo's who is coaching in the NBA. The source told Katz that Izzo, who talked to his team earlier this week about his interest in the Cavaliers, is leaning toward taking the job if it is offered.

"Three weeks ago that wasn't the case, but it has changed,'' the source said.

A source within the Cavaliers organization told The Associated Press that Izzo will be in Cleveland to meet with the Cavs and tour their facilities. He arrived at Burke Lakefront Airport Thursday afternoon.

[...]

Izzo did not give any indication of whether he would take the job, but a source told Katz that Izzo told the team he has a lot of thinking to do.

It's about dealing with egos in the NBA, and LeBron's is approaching the size of his poster hanging on the side of Tower City. If it's Izzo, impossible not to believe that LBJ didn't sign off on it. You really don't "coach up" players in the NBA- that's a job for your assistants to correct minor flaws.

Mike Brown flopped in the playoffs because he couldn't make in game adjustments. That's where you earn your money coaching in the NBA.

Exactly.

Phil Jackson is a perfect example.

He has his rotations down pat and is the best coach ever in the last 4 minutes of the game.

Coaching in the NBA is a 4 minute skill set. I think Izzo understands the final 4 minutes of the game.

The only hitch in all of this is it might be hard to get a coach until they know James is going to be here and James may want to know who is here before he returns.

It looks like a agreement will have to be reached pretty much at the same time.

Agreed. I will be surprised if a Coach is named until after July 1, but I have surely been wrong before.

Bottom line....."We'll see."

Mike

Associated Press

EAST LANSING, Mich. -- Tom Izzo is staying at Michigan State, turning down a chance to coach the Cleveland Cavaliers and perhaps LeBron James.

In a statement released by the school on Tuesday Izzo says: "I'm pleased to say I am here for life at Michigan State."

For the past nine days, Izzo has been trying to decide whether to leave the place that has been his home since 1983 and jump to the NBA to perhaps make $6 million -- doubling his salary -- and possibly coaching one of the best basketball players in the world.

The Spartans have scheduled an 8:30 p.m. ET press conference with Izzo, school president Lou Anna Simon and athletic director Mark Hollis.

Associated Press

EAST LANSING, Mich. -- Tom Izzo is staying at Michigan State, turning down a chance to coach the Cleveland Cavaliers and perhaps LeBron James.

In a statement released by the school on Tuesday Izzo says: "I'm pleased to say I am here for life at Michigan State."

For the past nine days, Izzo has been trying to decide whether to leave the place that has been his home since 1983 and jump to the NBA to perhaps make $6 million -- doubling his salary -- and possibly coaching one of the best basketball players in the world.

The Spartans have scheduled an 8:30 p.m. ET press conference with Izzo, school president Lou Anna Simon and athletic director Mark Hollis.

Good.

Archived