THE BROWNS BOARD

Ohio speeding law change

A speeding bill was passed to allow police officers to give speeding tickets if they think you were going to fast, no radar or anyother equipment is needed. If they look at your car and think your speeding they can give a ticket. Were all xxxxED

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Police agencies won't be retiring their radar guns just because the Ohio Supreme Court says an officer's guesstimate of how fast a motorist is driving can be enough to justify a speeding conviction, law enforcement officials said.

In a 5-1 ruling, the state's highest court said independent verification of a driver's speed is not necessary if the officer is trained, certified by a training academy and experienced in watching for speeders.

"I would not expect law enforcement to change their techniques as a result of this ruling," said Ted Hart, a spokesman for the Ohio attorney general's office. Officers rarely issue speeding tickets based solely on an observation but typically rely on speed readings from radar or laser devices, Hart said Thursday.

State Highway Patrol troopers are trained to estimate speed from what they see but use technology to back up their judgments, and that will continue while the Supreme Court's decision is reviewed, said Sgt. Max Norris II, a patrol spokesman.

"If the visual estimation does not match the radar, then no enforcement action is taken," Norris said.

Wednesday's decision upheld the speeding conviction of Akron-area motorist Mark Jenney, who was ticketed in July 2008 for driving 70 mph in a 60-mph zone. A police officer's personal estimate of Jenney's speed had been relied upon because a court threw out radar evidence that may have picked up on a passing truck rather than Jenney's car.

"I think this ruling stinks," said Jenney's attorney, John Kim. The Supreme Court was essentially telling cities to throw out their radar guns and write more tickets, he said.

But Michelle Banbury, the Barberton assistant city prosecutor who tried the case, said it's unlikely police officers will do anything differently.

"The court is still going to require officers to give credible testimony and to be trained properly," Banbury said. "(The ruling) affirms practices that have gone on for years."

Hart, with the attorney general's office, noted that the ruling still gives the final word on speeding convictions to a judge, jury or other neutral party.

(Copyright ©2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

A speeding bill was passed to allow police officers to give speeding tickets if they think you were going to fast, no radar or anyother equipment is needed. If they look at your car and think your speeding they can give a ticket. Were all xxxxED

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Police agencies won't be retiring their radar guns just because the Ohio Supreme Court says an officer's guesstimate of how fast a motorist is driving can be enough to justify a speeding conviction, law enforcement officials said.

In a 5-1 ruling, the state's highest court said independent verification of a driver's speed is not necessary if the officer is trained, certified by a training academy and experienced in watching for speeders.

"I would not expect law enforcement to change their techniques as a result of this ruling," said Ted Hart, a spokesman for the Ohio attorney general's office. Officers rarely issue speeding tickets based solely on an observation but typically rely on speed readings from radar or laser devices, Hart said Thursday.

State Highway Patrol troopers are trained to estimate speed from what they see but use technology to back up their judgments, and that will continue while the Supreme Court's decision is reviewed, said Sgt. Max Norris II, a patrol spokesman.

"If the visual estimation does not match the radar, then no enforcement action is taken," Norris said.

Wednesday's decision upheld the speeding conviction of Akron-area motorist Mark Jenney, who was ticketed in July 2008 for driving 70 mph in a 60-mph zone. A police officer's personal estimate of Jenney's speed had been relied upon because a court threw out radar evidence that may have picked up on a passing truck rather than Jenney's car.

"I think this ruling stinks," said Jenney's attorney, John Kim. The Supreme Court was essentially telling cities to throw out their radar guns and write more tickets, he said.

But Michelle Banbury, the Barberton assistant city prosecutor who tried the case, said it's unlikely police officers will do anything differently.

"The court is still going to require officers to give credible testimony and to be trained properly," Banbury said. "(The ruling) affirms practices that have gone on for years."

Hart, with the attorney general's office, noted that the ruling still gives the final word on speeding convictions to a judge, jury or other neutral party.

(Copyright ©2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

This was already discussed.

It's hard to believe that an officer can simply say "eh, I think you were doing 37 in a 35, but you're ugly, so I'm saying, eh...

50 in a 35 because I'm a liberal and you have an NRA sticker on your window.

weird.

Before, you could challenge the accuracy of the radar. Now, in Obamao land, they don't NEED radar.

egad.

Since we are talking about speeding tickets I thought I might add....

Did you know that if you are caught over the legal limit on even a bicycle that you can get a dui?

Seriously, my lawyer was telling me he has represented a few people for this.

Did you know that if you are caught over the legal limit on even a bicycle that you can get a dui?

I seen a guy get a DUI on a lawn mower

• 1 month later...

Part of me says wow, here comes Jackie Gleason to pull people over and demand to see their "dribinlasence."

On the other hand, my hunch is when this does get enforced, it's not going to be based on going two miles over the limit (like that gets enforced even with radar; it seems more likely to be for cases where the cop gets passed like he's standing still on the highway or seeing a car and going, "Man, that guy's driving fast."

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Correct- since I do a lot of cycling, I'm well aware of this. Technically, a bicycle is a vehicle- you can not only get a DUI, but also get ticketed for running a stop sign or a red light if a cop sees you and happens to be in a bad mood.

Correct- since I do a lot of cycling, I'm well aware of this. Technically, a bicycle is a vehicle- you can not only get a DUI, but also get ticketed for running a stop sign or a red light if a cop sees you and happens to be in a bad mood.

And with more and more bikers acting like the road is where they belong, it should be that way.

My personal opinion is if a sidewalk is available, it should be illegal to ride a bike or walk in the road.

hmmm.

i wonder why the corrupt obamao regime isn't suing ohio

because this law means we will have racial profiling????????????

hmmmm.

And with more and more bikers acting like the road is where they belong, it should be that way.

My personal opinion is if a sidewalk is available, it should be illegal to ride a bike or walk in the road.

Were I live its illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk, they dont really enforce it but it is a law.

• 2 weeks later...
Were I live its illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk, they dont really enforce it but it is a law.

this is actually the case for most places. but I dont think a cop would write a ticket to some little kid who just learned how to ride his bike.

• 3 weeks later...

When you order frogs legs at a restuarant what do they do with the rest of the frog ? - Well surely they just throw the rest of the frog away and take it to the tip.

For a website totally specialize in nfl jerseys, replica nfl jerseys,shopping replica jerseys on will be the best Website you need,you won't be regret!!

Fixed!

Archived