THE BROWNS BOARD

Pay Phil

USFBrown

Something i'm sure we all knew...

It was a good day for Phil Dawson. No, the kicker didn't participate. But his replacement, Shaun Suisham, missed four field goals -- three to the right and one short. Dawson is the only player under contract not here and is subject to a team fine if he fails to show up for the mandatory minicamp this weekend. The more Suisham misses kicks, it bolsters Dawson's argument for a new deal.

Rest of the article from TPD

Cleveland Browns wind down OTAs heading into weekend minicamp -- Tony Grossi's blog

By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer

June 07, 2010, 1:28PM

BEREA -- Instant observations on Browns organized team activity practice on Monday ...

• It was a good day for Phil Dawson. No, the kicker didn't participate. But his replacement, Shaun Suisham, missed four field goals -- three to the right and one short. Dawson is the only player under contract not here and is subject to a team fine if he fails to show up for the mandatory minicamp this weekend. The more Suisham misses kicks, it bolsters Dawson's argument for a new deal.

• Line coach George Warhop continues to juggle the offensive line. Today, Eric Steinbach was back with the first team at left guard. The No. 1 unit had Tony Pashos at right guard for the first time and John St. Clair at right tackle. Rookie Shawn Lauvao took reps with the second team at left guard, with Floyd Womack at right guard and Scott Kooistra at right tackle.

• Steinbach expressed no concern whatsoever about spending a lot of time previous with the second unit. He was written off last year this time of year, too, and had the last laugh. He believes it's just Warhop's way of improving versatility on the unit to let others play left guard.

• Lauvoa appears earmarked for right guard, but he's also gotten some looks at center. He never played center at Arizona State and it's been another learning experience for him in his first NFL camp. There isn't a lot of depth at center behind starter Alex Mack other than Eric Ghiaciuc.

• Fullback Lawrence Vickers ended his boycott of the voluntary workouts and made his first appearance. He was extremely positive in a post-practice interview, saying his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, will take care of his contract situation and he just wanted to come in and start practicing. Vickers and Jerome Harrison are the only two unsigned restricted free agents to sign the injury waiver and participate, though Harrison was absent again today. Vickers said he will definitely be on hand for the minicamp this weekend.

• Rookie receiver Carlton Mitchell made a nice catch in the end zone beating rookie safety Larry Asante on a pass from Brett Ratliff.

to say "pay phil" right now would be overreacting. phil didn't show up for the otas last year either. i'm sure the browns will see if he shows up for the mandatory mini-camp and take it from there.

I don't think it's overreacting at all. Suisham sucks and most people know that. It's tough to kick in Cleveland in the winter and Phil has been nothing but solid. We need to keep him if we plan on running the ball and controlling the clock. Kicking is huge with that type of offense.

I don't think it's overreacting at all. Suisham sucks and most people know that. It's tough to kick in Cleveland in the winter and Phil has been nothing but solid. We need to keep him if we plan on running the ball and controlling the clock. Kicking is huge with that type of offense.

I agree. In a ball control type game, kicking is critical.

We all want touchdowns no doubt, but the real killer is killing 6 minutes of clock then missing the kick for 3.

That has to be rare.

i don't understand how anyone can say the browns are in big trouble, at this point. i value phil dawson as an important piece to the browns, but it's just the otas he hasn't shown up to. he didn't go to the otas last season either. if phil comes out and says he's holding out for more money or if he doesn't show up to the mandatory mini-camp, then the browns will have a situation to deal with.

besides, who knows what holmgren and heckert are working on. heck, they've only been here for a few months and everybody wants a new contract. they have a bunch of rookies to sign to. i just think the best thing to do is wait and see if phil shows up to the mandatory mini camp.

Archived