THE BROWNS BOARD

My 2011 Mock Draft

Alo

Usually I agree with most of what you have to say, but I'm going to have to strongly disagree with that pick, as well as disagree to where the Browns will be picking.

Browns won't be picking a QB in the first round next year let alone in the entire draft.

Usually I agree with most of what you have to say, but I'm going to have to strongly disagree with that pick, as well as disagree to where the Browns will be picking.

Browns won't be picking a QB in the first round next year let alone in the entire draft.

It's debatable. Holmgren may be confident in McCoy right now, but if the team is picking that high - and I might have overcompensated a little too much to counter my homer bias - then the organization may be tempted by one of the elite QB prospects.

And Luck seems like the type of QB who'd appeal to both Holmgren & Mangini: mobile and accurate enough for Holmgren, cerebral enough for Mangini.

I guess I'd throw it out there to those who don't like the pick: who do you think the Browns would take, should they be picking that high and not going after a QB?

Eh, I knew it'd be a hard sell. And if you read what I wrote, you can tell that I think the Browns' willingness to draft another QB is in question.

But people here at this time last year were trashing McShay for mocking us Ndamukong Suh because we'd already added CJ Mosley & Kenyon Coleman. Hopefully, McCoy will impress this summer, but teams are always willing to upgrade if they think a prospect is truly elite. And Luck has the potential to play his way into that category, much like Suh did.

really though Alo, 5th overall?!? :P

I had teams #4 through #9 in my mock rated almost evenly; the Browns could have ended up anywhere in that range.

But if you think Browns fans are disappointed, you should see the response I've gotten from Broncos fan :)

Doing a mock this early is insane ... but picking the Ravens to win the Super Bowl and the Browns to actually step back this year is downright insulting.

Zombo

Ha. The other guys who write for the site are dirty Ratbird fans. Obviously, they're very pleased.

QUOTE (Zombo @ Jun 10 2010, 06:03 PM) *

Doing a mock this early is insane ... but picking the Ravens to win the Super Bowl and the Browns to actually step back this year is downright insulting.

Zombo

Ha. The other guys who write for the site are dirty Ratbird fans. Obviously, they're very pleased.

I agree with Zombo, and history has shown we're usually right. Screw the Rats- it's about time for Ray-Ray to start showing his age. IF we do pick fifth, DL will be priority #1. And IF no one steps up at WR this year, that's priority #2. Even Locker can't rifle the ball into somebody who isn't open.

Hate to think we'll suck that bad next year!

Who will be the coach at game 12?

Ryan Daboll or Big Mike?

WSS

Nice to see you return Al, I was wondering where you went.

<---- Snatch98

Anyway if we're being honest football fans, not even fans of our respective teams. (Mine obviously the Steelers) It would be safe to assume at least something similar to more of the same. The Browns still had a pretty terrible season last year. Changing GM's and having what appears to be a "successful" draft doesn't automatically take you from the dredges of the NFL. I don't think the Browns finish better than .500. They may be close but I'm still standing by a 6-10 type of scenario which is typically a top 10 selection. Now I know each year it's normal for a fan base to assume "super bowl" because it's easier to cope and that's fine. I'd be the same way but I also don't believe anyone believes that's possible. Either way picking inside the top 10 is likely. Do you want a lower pick? absolutely. I don't want the Steelers picking at 17 that's for sure. In the end it all boils down to consistent production on the field. The Browns are taking steps in that direction. I do expect a top 10 pick this year and likely next for the Browns before you see any sort of legitimate turn around but strangers things have happened. We lost to the Browns last season. Is that something widely known or discussed around here? lol

Good to see you, Snatch. Unfortunately, you were right about Lawrence Timmons being a good (albeit slightly inconsistent) player. But I had the goods on Bruce Davis & Tony Hills sucking ass. Also, a 6-10 season for the Browns makes sense to me.

As for putting together a mock now being "insane" - to a certain extent, I agree. But that's only if you value mocks exclusively for their predictive capacity, which probably is the wrong way of looking at things.

A mock put together this early is meant to give you an early look at 1) who the top prospects are entering this season, and 2) a preliminary look at team needs. And it's not like talking about those things this early is foolish: Todd McShay put together a 2010 mock the day after the '09 draft, and his top three players were Sam Bradford (ultimately went #1 overall), Ndamukong Suh (#2 overall), and Trent Williams (#4 overall).

Also, it's a helpful starting point for people who watch a lot of college football and like to track whether prospects are rising or sliding based on their play. So if you start following the draft a month or so before it starts, a mock like this one may seem senseless. Then again, if you don't start earlier than that, your opinions on the subject may be ill-informed and/or overly reliant on second-hand opinions.

Good to see you, Snatch. Unfortunately, you were right about Lawrence Timmons being a good (albeit slightly inconsistent) player. But I had the goods on Bruce Davis & Tony Hills sucking ass. Also, a 6-10 season for the Browns makes sense to me.

As for putting together a mock now being "insane" - to a certain extent, I agree. But that's only if you value mocks exclusively for their predictive capacity, which probably is the wrong way of looking at things.

A mock put together this early is meant to give you an early look at 1) who the top prospects are entering this season, and 2) a preliminary look at team needs. And it's not like talking about those things this early is foolish: Todd McShay put together a 2010 mock the day after the '09 draft, and his top three players were Sam Bradford (ultimately went #1 overall), Ndamukong Suh (#2 overall), and Trent Williams (#4 overall).

Also, it's a helpful starting point for people who watch a lot of college football and like to track whether prospects are rising or sliding based on their play. So if you start following the draft a month or so before it starts, a mock like this one may seem senseless. Then again, if you don't start earlier than that, your opinions on the subject may be ill-informed and/or overly reliant on second-hand opinions.

I agree on the mock this early. What the hell else are we supposed to read? It's before the actual training camps begin and just after the OTA's. Might as well do a mock to get that water boiling. As far as Timmons is concerned I really think he's going to explode this season and finally get to show week in and week out his freakish athletic ability. I hope they use him more in the Polamalu role and let Troy stay back in coverage a little more, if anything for the sake of injury prevention. Tony Hills isn't doing a damn thing but at least he's still on the roster. He did have a pretty terrible injury. Bruce Davis on the other hand lol. He can't even make a team. I believe the Patriots signed him recently and cut him shortly after. What a complete and total bust.

Steelers 11-5 or 10-6

Browns 6-10

I don't believe the Big Ben suspension is going to be as crippling as some seem to believe. Leftwich is a more than capable starter and I expect our defense to be in the top 5. Mendenhall should also really get it going this year as the full time starter. I'm predicting double digit TD's and 1400+ yards for Mr. Mendenhall.

Once again welcome back even though I'm a board imposter. I do enjoy the posts of some of the more "intelligent" guys here. You were one of them and you disappeared. :(

what's it take to be a scout nowadays in the nfl? shit, i can flip a coin or play rock/paper/scissors with the best of them. hell if the prerequisite is going through info about players and their on/off field character, stats and projections etc., sign me up. i bet half the people on this board can do just as well.

The Ravens.....seriously

Yea that sh.it isn't happening. Boldin and I guess Stallworth if he really is playing well makes that WR corp pretty formidable but I just don't see the Ravens doing it. Boldin and Mason is definitely pretty nice though.

The Ravens.....seriously

Yea that sh.it isn't happening. Boldin and I guess Stallworth if he really is playing well makes that WR corp pretty formidable but I just don't see the Ravens doing it. Boldin and Mason is definitely pretty nice though.

I hope Baltimore doesn't, but as RorboSnatch mentioned, they added a nice new element to their passing game (I also like rookie TE Dennis Pitta), and their running game already was formidable. Also, they could get immediate impact from their top two rookies: Kindle gives them more speed off the edge and Cody can shut down the running game when he spells Kelly Gregg.

At the very least, I think they're the favorites to win the AFC North

Archived