THE BROWNS BOARD

Marcus Bernard

Linebacker anticipates smell of fear

Browns' Benard eager to stalk QBs, build on his rookie season

By Nate Ulrich

Beacon Journal sports writer

Published on Sunday, Jun 13, 2010

BEREA: Marcus Benard isn't literally going to grab Ben Roethlisberger with one hand, scale the Empire State Building and swat fighter jets as he roars.

But Benard, a second-year Browns outside linebacker known as King Kong, vows to torment Roethlisberger and any other quarterbacks he encounters during the 2010 season.

''I love fear 'cause you can smell it,'' Benard said Saturday after the final practice of the Browns' mandatory minicamp. ''I can smell it when I line up on the edge.

''It's like a lion just stalking that prey and just waiting for the opportunity to pounce. To get that opportunity and to get that kill, it's a good feeling.''

After spending the first half of his rookie season on the Browns' practice squad, Benard had a breakout performance against Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers in Week 14. His two sacks helped the Browns prevail 13-6, sparking a four-game winning streak to end the season while transforming Benard into a fan favorite.

An undrafted free-agent acquisition out of Jackson State University, the 6-foot-2, 256-pound Benard finished his first professional season with 11 tackles and 3.5 sacks in six games as a special teams player and a reserve linebacker. This offseason, he's focused on becoming more versatile.

''Now it's instilled in me that I want to be a great football player, not necessarily just a pass rusher,'' Benard said. ''That's what I've been doing all camp — just working on the things that I haven't been so good at.''

The Browns are loaded with linebackers, so coach Eric Mangini isn't exactly sure what role Benard will fill. But with restricted free agent Matt Roth skipping minicamp because of his contract situation, Benard has capitalized on recent opportunities.

''With Matt [Roth] not being here, he's gotten a lot more reps and that's been good for him because he's got some chances out here that he didn't have this time last year,'' Mangini said of Benard. ''I can tell you where he is now versus where he was last year at this time. I mean, it's unbelievable.

''But he's got a long way to go. He flashed some good things last year in the latter part of the season. Can he [be consistent] play in and play out? Can he understand the whole role at outside linebacker, or is he gonna have to be more of a sub guy or a package-type guy?''

Benard said he's willing to do anything he's asked to help the Browns win. For example, he takes his duties on the kickoff, kickoff return and punt return units seriously.

''As smart as I want to be as a linebacker, I want to be just as smart as a special teams player,'' he said. ''They're key. They're probably the biggest plays in football. Believe it or not, that's what changes games.''

Increasing his gridiron intelligence has become a top priority for Benard, who has shown his ability to expand his knowledge in other facets of life. He made the dean's list in college, and he learned how to play five instruments — piano, drums, guitar, saxophone and organ — as a member of Ypsilanti (Mich.) High School's marching band.

Now it's time for Benard to study, evolve as a complete player and, of course, earn another chance to harass the Steelers.

''I'll be happy to put a beating on Roethlisberger whenever he comes back [from his conditional six-game suspension],'' Benard said, revealing that he taunted Roethlisberger last season by chanting, ''Here, chickee, chickee, chickee'' before unleashing his relentless pass rush. . . . ''He's gonna have to come see me regardless. It doesn't matter.''

Here's some video of Benard from last year:

Benard's explosive and goes all out getting after the QB, but he needs to do a better job rushing with his hand up. Last year, his success primarily came as a hand in the dirt DE.

Here's some video of Benard from last year:

Benard's explosive and goes all out getting after the QB, but he needs to do a better job rushing with his hand up. Last year, his success primarily came as a hand in the dirt DE.

Thanks Alo. Great to see that fat assed ugly raper get sacked!

Archived