THE BROWNS BOARD

Boston vs. LA

The Gipper

I usually do this at the beginning of a series, but since there is one game left, a deciding 7th game, it is still not too late. Herewith are the times that the cities of Boston and Los Angeles have had teams meet in the Finals of any of the 4 major sports:

Note first that these two cities have never had teams meet in the finals of football, hockey, or baseball. It has always been basketball, and it has always been the Celtics vs. the Lakers. The Clippers have never been invited to the party. Here are the Celtic/Laker results:

1962 Boston won 4 games to 3

1963 Boston won 4-2

1965 Boston won 4-1

1966 Boston won 4-3

1968 Boston won 4-2

1969 Boston won 4-3

1984 Boston won 4-3

1985 LA won 4-2

1987 LA won 4-2

2008 Boston won 4-2

This year is the 11th time these two teams will have met for the NBA title.

nice post so don't take offense when I say YAWWWNNN...celtics lakers is the same as yankees red sox. a great rivalry but in the end who gives a damn outside of these 2 team's fans? not many people. Its been a very very boring nba playoffs up until this series and I'm disappointed

nice post so don't take offense when I say YAWWWNNN...celtics lakers is the same as yankees red sox. a great rivalry but in the end who gives a damn outside of these 2 team's fans? not many people. Its been a very very boring nba playoffs up until this series and I'm disappointed

I agree with your sentiments. Nevertheless I try to do this for each championship series in each sport just as a matter of information. Note earlier on I did a Chicago vs. Philly thread for the hockey.

I agree with your sentiments. Nevertheless I try to do this for each championship series in each sport just as a matter of information. Note earlier on I did a Chicago vs. Philly thread for the hockey.

I'll be looking forward to an Ohio State vs ???? championship game thread ;)

Yeah since 1964 Celtics- Lakers 8 finals. Cleveland 2 World Series, 1 NBA Finals- zero wins. Not counting the Bruins, Red Sox, Patriots, Angels, Mighty Ducks, and Dodgers. This quite frankly sucks. I hope an asteroid hits Staples.

Yeah since 1964 Celtics- Lakers 8 finals. Cleveland 2 World Series, 1 NBA Finals- zero wins. Not counting the Bruins, Red Sox, Patriots, Angels, Mighty Ducks, and Dodgers. This quite frankly sucks. I hope an asteroid hits Staples.

OK so how about if I give you this info to appease you: Cleveland vs. either Boston or LA. Here are the results:

1948 Cleveland Indians defeat Boston Braves in World Series

1950 Cleveland Browns defeat Los Angeles Rams in NFL title game

1951 Los Angeles Rams defeat Cleveland Browns in NFL title game

1955 Cleveland Browns defeat Los Angeles Rams in NFL title game

* 1920 Cleveland Indians defeat Brooklyn nka Los Angeles Dodgers in World Series (I usually don't count team moves like this, but I will make an exception here.)

And that's it for any Cleveland vs. LA or Boston finals.

(of course, this year it was supposed to be Cleveland vs. LA for the NBA title, right? Woulda, shoulda, coulda)

i agree with the asteroid scenario.

lived in boston for almost five years. believe me, boston fans aren't half as bad as yankee fans. but what gets me though is their annoying accent. they'll be quick to call someone with a southern drawl a redneck or slow etc. but to think they find them a step above everyone else when what comes out of their mouth sounds like they just ate a shit sandwich........pleez.

the thing about the lakers to me is kobe. i like my sports heros to be at least a little modest. i wish i was tall enough (or big and bad enough) to wipe that rat ass smirk off his fxxxing face.

after tonite all there is to watch is baseball and now some soccer or golf. here's my YAAAWWWNN!!!

OK so how about if I give you this info to appease you: Cleveland vs. either Boston or LA. Here are the results:

1948 Cleveland Indians defeat Boston Braves in World Series

1950 Cleveland Browns defeat Los Angeles Rams in NFL title game

1951 Los Angeles Rams defeat Cleveland Browns in NFL title game

1955 Cleveland Browns defeat Los Angeles Rams in NFL title game

* 1920 Cleveland Indians defeat Brooklyn nka Los Angeles Dodgers in World Series (I usually don't count team moves like this, but I will make an exception here.)

And that's it for any Cleveland vs. LA or Boston finals.

(of course, this year it was supposed to be Cleveland vs. LA for the NBA title, right? Woulda, shoulda, coulda)

Yes, I'm sure my mom remembers most of those wins- and my grandmother, if she were still alive could have told me about the 1920 win. You have to be on the high side of 50 to reminisce about the big 1964 win. Counting the Cavs, Indians, and Browns there's been 132 seasons worth of failure since then- and it's about freaking time for a little success for a change.

That's why the talk of LeBron bolting is so depressing- without him the Cavs are a .500 team at best. The Browns are at least a year or two away, and the Indians are hopeless as long as Dolan owns the team.

Yes, I'm sure my mom remembers most of those wins- and my grandmother, if she were still alive could have told me about the 1920 win. You have to be on the high side of 50 to reminisce about the big 1964 win. Counting the Cavs, Indians, and Browns there's been 132 seasons worth of failure since then- and it's about freaking time for a little success for a change.

That's why the talk of LeBron bolting is so depressing- without him the Cavs are a .500 team at best. The Browns are at least a year or two away, and the Indians are hopeless as long as Dolan owns the team.

How true.

And what a depressing way to start the day as I ready myself for a day at the course. At least there was no talking about hitting OB, getting hit in the head by a golf ball, or the 2 best balls hit all day were the one's hit when accidently stepping on the bunker rake or dropping a quick Franklin at the card table. ;)

I will expand this Cleveland vs. LA and Cleveland vs. Boston thing to include all post season matchups, not just title series. Here is how it breaks down:

BROWNS:

1950 Win NFL title game over LA Rams 30-28

1951 Lose NFL title game to LA Rams 24-17

1955 Win NFL title game over LA Rams 38-14

1982 Lose Wild Card round game to LA Raiders 27-10

1994 Win Wild Card round game over New England Patriots 20-13

CAVS:

1976 Lose Eastern Conf. Finals to Celtics 4 games to 2

1985 Lose EC First round to Celtics 3-1

1992 Win EC Semifinals vs. Celtics 4-3

2008 Lose EC Semifinals to Celtics 4-3

2010 Lose EC Semifinals to Celtics 4-2