THE BROWNS BOARD

Ben's Bodyguard Could Be Lost for Season

Zombo

Steelers RT Colon injured Achilles

36 minutes ago

Printable View

Return to Original Email Print PITTSBURGH (AP)—Steelers right tackle Willie Colon(notes) has injured his right Achilles’ tendon while working out at the team’s practice complex.

If the tendon is torn, Colon is likely to require surgery that would end his season.

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert said Colon was being evaluated by the team’s medical staff. Colon left the team’s practice building Monday on crutches.

Colon’s injury could be a major setback to the Steelers’ plans to put a greater emphasis on the run this season. They have little depth at tackle behind starters Max Starks(notes) and Colon.

Colon is the only Steelers player who was with Ben Roethlisberger(notes) on the night the quarterback was accused of sexually assaulting a Georgia college student. Roethlisberger was not charged, but drew a six-game suspension from the NFL.

36 minutes ago

Printable View

Return to Original Email Print PITTSBURGH (AP)—Steelers right tackle Willie Colon(notes) has injured his right Achilles' tendon while working out at the team's practice complex.

If the tendon is torn, Colon is likely to require surgery that would end his season.

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert said Colon was being evaluated by the team's medical staff. Colon left the team's practice building Monday on crutches.

Colon's injury could be a major setback to the Steelers' plans to put a greater emphasis on the run this season. They have little depth at tackle behind starters Max Starks(notes) and Colon.

Colon is the only Steelers player who was with Ben Roethlisberger(notes) on the night the quarterback was accused of sexually assaulting a Georgia college student. Roethlisberger was not charged, but drew a six-game suspension from the NFL.

OL guys are a dime a dozen.........they will find a way................lets hope we can squeeze adequate outta Jake until Colt shoots em dead.........until then...........zip it and pray

OL guys are a dime a dozen.........they will find a way................lets hope we can squeeze adequate outta Jake until Colt shoots em dead.........until then...........zip it and pray

We? What? You got a snake in your shorts? (just f**ing with you).

I disagree though that good OL guys are a dime a dozen. The Browns have gone through hell for years trying to get a decent OLine put together. From the day that Cody Risien retired to the day they drafted Joe Thomas OUR QBs have gone through hell trying to get decent protection. ( I do have a snake in my trousers....and Anaconda no less).

If this guy was any good at all (and I don't know how good he actually is), it could be a major blow to the Steelers. And I think any objective Steeler fan would tell you that their LT is critical to keeping BR upright....lest he start looking like Tim Couch in his early days.

I see this guy was a RT, not a LT like I thought. Give us the dope on him. Was he much good? Will he be missed? Is he replaceable. Enquiring Minds want to know.

Some called him our best O-lineman.....Though most (including me) said he was 3rd best...He was drafted by Cowher but didn't get a single start till the last two games of Cowhers last season. Week 1 of this upcoming season will be his first missed start in 50 games....Early in his career he was good for two pre snap infactions and a hold every game. This past year he cut down on his penalties. He was orginally a a RG becuase he is a mauling run blocker (weighs 315), but not very mobile and average at best against the pass rush. He has developed into a very consistant player with average talent.

Some called him our best O-lineman.....Though most (including me) said he was 3rd best...He was drafted by Cowher but didn't get a single start till the last two games of Cowhers last season. Week 1 of this upcoming season will be his first missed start in 50 games....Early in his career he was good for two pre snap infactions and a hold every game. This past year he cut down on his penalties. He was orginally a a RG becuase he is a mauling run blocker (weighs 315), but not very mobile and average at best against the pass rush. He has developed into a very consistant player with average talent.

Colon was a good right tackle for the Stillers. He isn't no Joe Thomas though. :P

36 minutes ago

Printable View

Return to Original Email Print PITTSBURGH (AP)—Steelers right tackle Willie Colon(notes) has injured his right Achilles’ tendon while working out at the team’s practice complex.

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert said Colon was being evaluated by the team’s medical staff. Colon left the team’s practice building Monday on crutches.

Colon’s injury could be a major setback to the Steelers’ plans to put a greater emphasis on the run this season. They have little depth at tackle behind starters Max Starks(notes) and Colon.

Dang, misleading topic heading. I thought without Ben's real life, not football bodyguard, he was going to land in jail for sure. :)

He's officially done for the season. His agent seems to think he was/is the best RT in the game. I think he's underrated but he's not the best RT in the game. The injury definitely hurts seeing as our offensive line is just trying to gel. Pouncey will now almost definitely start at RG I'd imagine and they'll bump Essex to RT. They did just bring Flozell Adams in to the training facility so maybe the Steelers sign Adams who was a 5 time pro bowler with the Cowboys. I don't know how much gas he has in the tank but that could be the solution. I'd also like the Steelers to contact Ciron Black but I also don't know what his deal is...

He's officially done for the season. His agent seems to think he was/is the best RT in the game. I think he's underrated but he's not the best RT in the game. The injury definitely hurts seeing as our offensive line is just trying to gel. Pouncey will now almost definitely start at RG I'd imagine and they'll bump Essex to RT. They did just bring Flozell Adams in to the training facility so maybe the Steelers sign Adams who was a 5 time pro bowler with the Cowboys. I don't know how much gas he has in the tank but that could be the solution. I'd also like the Steelers to contact Ciron Black but I also don't know what his deal is...

I think you can stick a fork in Adams. There was a reason the Cowboys put him out to pasture. Steelers may want to think about developing a young player at that post.

If his agent thinks that he is on crack! Colon was good for 2-3 drive stopping penalties per game until last year where he worked hard to become a better than average O lineman.

As far as the 3-13 season, you Browns fans just can't stop fantasizing about the demise of the Steelers which would bring them down to basement where you have lived for most of the last 40 years. You just don't get it.......there is no amount of bad luck, poor decisions by players, horrible coaching, or anything else that would bring the Steelers down to the level of the Browns.

Equal to? Perhaps not. Below? Maybe. :wacko:

Besides, who said anything about 3-13? That was one of your Squisher yabos making that crack. Maybe you should crack back at him, not at us.

I think you can stick a fork in Adams. There was a reason the Cowboys put him out to pasture. Steelers may want to think about developing a young player at that post.

Because he's 35 and was due some nice coin. If he's fit to start the Steelers will give him a contract, if he isn't he'll sit in free agency. He was let go for the same reasons a T.O type is let go. I think Adams still has some gas in the tank.

Because he's 35 and was due some nice coin. If he's fit to start the Steelers will give him a contract, if he isn't he'll sit in free agency. He was let go for the same reasons a T.O type is let go. I think Adams still has some gas in the tank.

If he is still that good, wouldn't there be about 25 other teams vying for his services?

If he is still that good, wouldn't there be about 25 other teams vying for his services?

People are probably looking at him as a LT and 25 other teams in the league didn't just lose their starting RT. He played LT for the Cowboys and got abused last season but as a RT you can hide some of his weaknesses. One of his primary strengths is as a run blocker anyway and he actually did pretty well in that regard with the cowboys. I believe it was something like 6.7 or 6.8 yards when they ran to his side of the field. Adams will be a more than adequate replacement if they do make the effort to sign him to play RT, not LT where he played with the cowboys. How many teams are in the market for a 35 year old tackle? Not many hence his extended stay in FA.

People are probably looking at him as a LT and 25 other teams in the league didn't just lose their starting RT. He played LT for the Cowboys and got abused last season but as a RT you can hide some of his weaknesses. One of his primary strengths is as a run blocker anyway and he actually did pretty well in that regard with the cowboys. I believe it was something like 6.7 or 6.8 yards when they ran to his side of the field. Adams will be a more than adequate replacement if they do make the effort to sign him to play RT, not LT where he played with the cowboys. How many teams are in the market for a 35 year old tackle? Not many hence his extended stay in FA.

So let's summarize:

1.) He got abused last year.

2.) He's never played RT before.

3.) He's 35 years old and is out of work

I can see why you guys would be enthusiastic.

He does have the reputation of a dirty player, though, so he has that going for him ... but can he guard a bathroom door as good as Captain Colon?

Zombo

So let's summarize:

1.) He got abused last year.

2.) He's never played RT before.

3.) He's 35 years old and is out of work

I can see why you guys would be enthusiastic.

He does have the reputation of a dirty player, though, so he has that going for him ... but can he guard a bathroom door as good as Captain Colon?

Zombo

Um if you can play LT you can certainly play RT. You're asked to do less at RT seeing as you aren't going up against the top DE or protecting the QB's blindside. He also excelled in the run game with the Cowboys. Yes he's 35 years old but we just lost our starting RT for the year. I'm sorry what aren't you understanding exactly? If I recall correctly someone in this thread asked for some imput from the Steeler base and that's what I'm providing. I didn't realize the Steelers front office needed your approval on potential free agent signings. I think he'd do well at RT until we find a long term replacement or Colon returns. Hell he may even play better than colon at RT considering the success he's had when leading a RB.

Well, the Browns could be one of those teams in the market for a RT, though, I believe they signed a guy named Tony Pashos for that position if I am not mistaken. If they did that and have penciled him in at RT, they may not be a team vying for Adams.

Um if you can play LT you can certainly play RT. You're asked to do less at RT seeing as you aren't going up against the top DE or protecting the QB's blindside. He also excelled in the run game with the Cowboys. Yes he's 35 years old but we just lost our starting RT for the year. I'm sorry what aren't you understanding exactly? If I recall correctly someone in this thread asked for some imput from the Steeler base and that's what I'm providing. I didn't realize the Steelers front office needed your approval on potential free agent signings. I think he'd do well at RT until we find a long term replacement or Colon returns. Hell he may even play better than colon at RT considering the success he's had when leading a RB.

I understand you feel a kneejerk reaction to respond to, and protect, everything Steelers like it is your job on this board or something ... but playing Right Tackle in the NFL is not as simple as you think. Especially if you are washed up and old. If you are so confident that "he'll do well at RT" then you must have some sort of precedent ... do you have a list of 35 yo left tackles that did well as Right Tackles at the end of their careers? I don't know of any.

The Steelers are looking for an emergency stopgap, and they are wondering if they can get a decent year out of this guy ... that's all. And of course a lineup that includes that ol' mobile scambler Leftwhich running around behind a ragtag offensive line that was getting Ben killed and just lost one of its few solid protectors has the AFC North quaking in its boots.

Oh no, they're going to sign Flozell! How are we going to stop this offensive juggernaut now??

Zombo

I understand you feel a kneejerk reaction to respond to, and protect, everything Steelers like it is your job on this board or something ... but playing Right Tackle in the NFL is not as simple as you think. Especially if you are washed up and old. If you are so confident that "he'll do well at RT" then you must have some sort of precedent ... do you have a list of 35 yo left tackles that did well as Right Tackles at the end of their careers? I don't know of any.

The Steelers are looking for an emergency stopgap, and they are wondering if they can get a decent year out of this guy ... that's all. And of course a lineup that includes that ol' mobile scambler Leftwhich running around behind a ragtag offensive line that was getting Ben killed and just lost one of its few solid protectors has the AFC North quaking in its boots.

Oh no, they're going to sign Flozell! How are we going to stop this offensive juggernaut now??

Zombo

:lol: good post!

Zombo

Look. If you can play LT you can certainly play RT. It's asks you to do everything the LT does except go against the top DE and protect the QB's blind side. RT requires less from a responsibility stand point and Adams hasn't signed anywhere because he's asking for 4 million a year courtesy of Super Agent Rosenthal or however the hell you spell his last name. I also never said a thing about Adams being a offensive juggernaut but RB's can certainly run the ball behind him and effectively. The Steelers are going to wreck homes with or without Flozell Adams. He wants paid like T.O and is the only reason either are still free agents.

Look. If you can play LT you can certainly play RT. It's asks you to do everything the LT does except go against the top DE and protect the QB's blind side. RT requires less from a responsibility stand point and Adams hasn't signed anywhere because he's asking for 4 million a year courtesy of Super Agent Rosenthal or however the hell you spell his last name. I also never said a thing about Adams being a offensive juggernaut but RB's can certainly run the ball behind him and effectively. The Steelers are going to wreck homes with or without Flozell Adams. He wants paid like T.O and is the only reason either are still free agents.

How can they wreck homes when they don't even have a solid foundation? Wink, wink ;)

How can they wreck homes when they don't even have a solid foundation? Wink, wink ;)

The Steelers o-line is no where near as bad as everyone thinks. I know that makes everyone in this fan base feel all warm and fuzzy but it's simply not the case. I took 300 dollars from a close friend when the Steelers won the Super Bowl because he was convinced the Steelers couldn't win behind that offensive line. Big Ben is the cause for a lot of those sacks and I'm not complaining. I'd rather him extend the play and be considered "elite" than to stay in the pocket and throw it away like every fringe QB in the NFL. The biggest weakness on the line last year was hartwig at center. They drafted Pouncey to be groomed. Now with Colon going down Pouncey could immediately start at guard and a guy like Ramon Foster who really stepped up last year can step in elsewhere. We have a lot of big, uglies on the roster and the team is supposedly returning to smash mouth football. Mendenhall will go for 1400+ yards and double digit TD's. Write it down.

Archived