THE BROWNS BOARD

Early Scouting Report from Ravens Insider

ATENEARS

Early scouting report: Cleveland Browns

The Baltimore Sun will take a look at all 13 of the Ravens' 2010 opponents. Today's early scouting report is on the Cleveland Browns, the Ravens’ opponent in Week 3 and Week 16:

Head coach: Eric Mangini (28-37 overall record)

2009 record: 5-11

Biggest addition: Hiring Mike Holmgren as team president. The Browns bring in a big name, but they should’ve persuaded him to coach the team. He’s a suspect talent evaluator.

Key loss: Trading Kamerion Wimbley. Cleveland used this pick from Oakland to draft Colt McCoy. If McCoy becomes a franchise quarterback, this was a great move. If he fails to develop, this will go down as another terrible decision by the new Browns.

Question mark: Signing quarterback Jake Delhomme, who threw eight TDs and 18 interceptions last season for the Carolina Panthers. Is he really better than Derek Anderson or Brady Quinn?

Projected 2010 finish: 4-12, last in the AFC North. Offensive tackle Joe Thomas and guard Eric Steinbach are the only offensive players who could start elsewhere in the division. The new era of this franchise continues to be a cruel joke.

The Baltimore Sun will take a look at all 13 of the Ravens' 2010 opponents. Today's early scouting report is on the Cleveland Browns, the Ravens’ opponent in Week 3 and Week 16:

Biggest addition: Hiring Mike Holmgren as team president. The Browns bring in a big name, but they should’ve persuaded him to coach the team. He’s a suspect talent evaluator.

Key loss: Trading Kamerion Wimbley. Cleveland used this pick from Oakland to draft Colt McCoy. If McCoy becomes a franchise quarterback, this was a great move. If he fails to develop, this will go down as another terrible decision by the new Browns.

Question mark: Signing quarterback Jake Delhomme, who threw eight TDs and 18 interceptions last season for the Carolina Panthers. Is he really better than Derek Anderson or Brady Quinn?

Projected 2010 finish: 4-12, last in the AFC North. Offensive tackle Joe Thomas and guard Eric Steinbach are the only offensive players who could start elsewhere in the division. The new era of this franchise continues to be a cruel joke.

First off, is this the full extent of the "scouting report"? If so, this is the lamest, weakest effort I have ever seen from a professional journalist.....and I am not even talking about the fact he doesn't like the Browns much. Is the Baltimore Sun becoming this big of a joke?

The last effort someone reposted here by the Sun was a journalistic joke. This is a journalistic joke. High Schoolers have done better analysis than this.

Or, if it was the editorial decision by the sports director to give only this brief surmise about the teams in the Ravens division, why bother wasting the column space? They would have been better off selling ads instead of listing this tripe.

Sorry, but from what I have seen, the Baltimore Sun appears to have lost all journalistic competence, if not integrity. If the Browns are a cruel joke, the Sun is lying at the bottom of the well with them.

I'm with you Gipper. If this is a scouting report, then the Sun has zero credibility. It's just a chance to bash the Browns. They only had to spend a day or two learning about the change in attitude, roster, and culture over the last 8 - 10 months to make an honest assesment on the Browns. But they're lazy, like all sports writers.

But, it has seemed to me that Steeler fan has been nervous about the resurgence of the Browns under Mangini and Holmgren ever since the 8 sack ass-woopin' they got last year. And now Baltimore looks to be on the attack. The two AFC North Super Powers are beginning to shake a little bit it seems. I like it.

I'm with you Gipper. If this is a scouting report, then the Sun has zero credibility. It's just a chance to bash the Browns. They only had to spend a day or two learning about the change in attitude, roster, and culture over the last 8 - 10 months to make an honest assesment on the Browns. But they're lazy, like all sports writers.

But, it has seemed to me that Steeler fan has been nervous about the resurgence of the Browns under Mangini and Holmgren ever since the 8 sack ass-woopin' they got last year. And now Baltimore looks to be on the attack. The two AFC North Super Powers are beginning to shake a little bit it seems. I like it.

While I happen to agree with both your guys' takes on the subject, the fact of the matter (as you know) is the Browns need to make noise in the AFC North on the field.

We as fans can't ignore that our division record is woeful since returning....I am optimistic that we are positioned to start a "reversal" this season. I'm not stating that we will win the division, but I believe we can become more competitive with our division foes, and that is STEP 1 towards success. You can't get to the playoffs if you are a division-whipping boy.

Here's optimistically hoping for a 2-0 start, then into the Ratbirds house for a dose of reality for BOTH the Browns & the f-in- commies- that- shouldn't -even -be -in -our -division...thanks Mr. F-in Tagliabue.

this guy actually gets paid to do this???? this is an absolutely pathetic scouting reporting. he lost me at "the new browns" comment. there is no new browns. there is only THE browns. when crooked art took his team to b-more, they ceased to be the browns and became the ratbirds. the browns stayed in cleveland in pause mode and were resurrected in 99 (according to the people who run the nfl and anyone else with common sense).

this guy actually gets paid to do this???? this is an absolutely pathetic scouting reporting. he lost me at "the new browns" comment. there is no new browns. there is only THE browns. when crooked art took his team to b-more, they ceased to be the browns and became the ratbirds. the browns stayed in cleveland in pause mode and were resurrected in 99 (according to the people who run the nfl and anyone else with common sense).

I am not bothered so much by his "new era of this franchise" comment because a lot of Browns fans think in those terms and there certainly is some accuracy to that description. Nor am I particularly bothered bye the "cruel joke" statement, as that too is probably accurate. The Browns since 1999 have been a poorly managed organization.

It was simply the lack of any substantive analysis that makes this look amateurish. But, like I said, perhaps his editors said: you have 8 sentences to sum of the Browns (and probably the Bengals/Steelers as well). I don't think he did well with his 8 sentences, but that is not a lot of space.

The Scouting report was pretty weak from a content stand point but it's also not all that off base. Delhomme was pretty terrible for Carolina last year and has been pretty terrible for a while. Trading Wimbley will also hurt, especially if McCoy doesn't pan out. A harsh report yes, a wildly off base one? I don't think so but it's also from a rival fan base so it's going to be critical. I see the Browns as a 6-10 team and I've been saying that for a while. I'd also like some sort of explanation with why the Steelers fans are in some way more concerned with the Browns. Based on what exactly? I've been here for a while (Under Snatch98) and the other guys have also been here for a while. What fans are giving you that impression? I'm certainly not more worried about the Browns this year because I've always held the "Any Given Sunday" mentality. Please explain.

I am not bothered so much by his "new era of this franchise" comment because a lot of Browns fans think in those terms and there certainly is some accuracy to that description. Nor am I particularly bothered bye the "cruel joke" statement, as that too is probably accurate. The Browns since 1999 have been a poorly managed organization.

It was simply the lack of any substantive analysis that makes this look amateurish. But, like I said, perhaps his editors said: you have 8 sentences to sum of the Browns (and probably the Bengals/Steelers as well). I don't think he did well with his 8 sentences, but that is not a lot of space

i felt as though his "new browns" comment was similiar to the belief that some people have which is the false idea that the browns we're currently rooting for began in 99 and aren't connected with the browns of old (prior to 99). that was the main thing that stood out about the article, along with his scouting report being pretty thin and empty.

The Scouting report was pretty weak from a content stand point but it's also not all that off base. Delhomme was pretty terrible for Carolina last year and has been pretty terrible for a while. Trading Wimbley will also hurt, especially if McCoy doesn't pan out. A harsh report yes, a wildly off base one? I don't think so but it's also from a rival fan base so it's going to be critical. I see the Browns as a 6-10 team and I've been saying that for a while. I'd also like some sort of explanation with why the Steelers fans are in some way more concerned with the Browns. Based on what exactly? I've been here for a while (Under Snatch98) and the other guys have also been here for a while. What fans are giving you that impression? I'm certainly not more worried about the Browns this year because I've always held the "Any Given Sunday" mentality. Please explain.

Your presence is evidence of your concern....in a sense.

That and the fact that the last game played between these two teams was not won, if I recall correctly, by the Steelers.

Nevertheless, to give you an answer that may be more palatable to you: You shouldn't be more concerned about the Browns. You should be more concerned about the Steelers....and about every opponent on your schedule. Last year proved that the Steelers are capable of losing a string of games to bad teams. And teams that lose a lot of games to bad teams are rightly to be considered bad team themselves.

That ain't a rule I made up. Its a fact of life.

Now, I understand that you may say "well, we will be getting a couple of our good players back from injury" You may, and that may help...some. But I don't know if that alone is going to re-elevate you to a position of dominance in this division. That all remains totally to be seen.

As for the Browns, it is probable that we think that all teams should be "concerned" with them, Steelers included. They came off a 4 game winning streak at the end of the season. They may have reacquired some confidence in themselves. They may be reinvigorated by the new regime and some new blood on the team (and some old blood out), and, they are a team in the NFL, and, as you say "On any given Sunday"....and in any given year. They went from 4-12 to 10-6 in one year just a few years ago. No one says that is going to happen again....but no one can say that it can't happen again.

Your presence is evidence of your concern....in a sense.

That and the fact that the last game played between these two teams was not won, if I recall correctly, by the Steelers.

Nevertheless, to give you an answer that may be more palatable to you: You shouldn't be more concerned about the Browns. You should be more concerned about the Steelers....and about every opponent on your schedule. Last year proved that the Steelers are capable of losing a string of games to bad teams. And teams that lose a lot of games to bad teams are rightly to be considered bad team themselves.

That ain't a rule I made up. Its a fact of life.

Now, I understand that you may say "well, we will be getting a couple of our good players back from injury" You may, and that may help...some. But I don't know if that alone is going to re-elevate you to a position of dominance in this division. That all remains totally to be seen.

As for the Browns, it is probable that we think that all teams should be "concerned" with them, Steelers included. They came off a 4 game winning streak at the end of the season. They may have reacquired some confidence in themselves. They may be reinvigorated by the new regime and some new blood on the team (and some old blood out), and, they are a team in the NFL, and, as you say "On any given Sunday"....and in any given year. They went from 4-12 to 10-6 in one year just a few years ago. No one says that is going to happen again....but no one can say that it can't happen again.

First off I was posting on this message board WELL before the loss last season. I was posting on this board or at least reading this board in early 08 on my other name. I read a bunch before I ever started posting. I'm not here because I'm worried about the Browns nor am I here because I'm worried about the Steelers. Collier a local media writer wrote some "chicken little" esque comments recently and PFT of all places ripped him apart. Despite the string of losses we worked over more than a few top tier teams last year. We also only lost those games and others by a touchdown or less. You are absolutely delusional to believe the Steelers because of some tough losses last year are all of the sudden on the decline. I've also asked several times for reasons backed up with stats to elude to some sort of legitimate "demise" and so far no one has been able to do so. We're returning every defensive starter and brought back a couple of others. Big Ben is suspended but I full expect a 2-2 or 3-1 type scenario where Ben will return after the bye to square off against the Browns. We lost Colon and while the loss is a signifcant one (He was/is a starter) we have more than a few guys that should be able to fill in admirably. Colon after all was good for more than a couple of false start penalties per game. In addition the 4-12 to 10-6 was immediately overshadowed by missing the playoffs and returning to "form" the following season. Every dog has it's day so to speak and the Browns haven't done much to shake that stigma, at least not yet.

Anyway and once again I'm not here because I'm worried about the Browns or the Steelers. I'm not worried much at all if I'm being honest. I've been here for a while, hell possibly as long as you just under different names or I wasn't posting at all. Pittsburgh will be a 10 win or better team this year and everyone on this board will be eating crow.

I can see where these are reasonable questions/assumptions from a divisional rivals scout team when you consider all the "unknown factors" surrounding the brownies and our new management and the somewhat questionable choice to not only retain mangini but especially the decision to keep daboll around...

Now add delhomme a guy thats on the back end of his career by most folks definition and by his own admittance had an abysmal season last year and the fact the browns have added no veteran WRs looks like weaksauce to the ratbird scouts, they have to smell blood...to add to the fire we may still have a problem on the right side pass protection of the O line if lauvao or pashos cant cut it and or jake cant get it together and remains an interception machine and mangini/daboll go ball-less again and decide to turtle up and run every down we will likely be 4-12....

Im remaining optimistic until reasons not to be appear and by the same token everything could go right as we do the cinderella dance into the playoffs ya just never know, anything is possible this time of year.....;)

Winning, and doing so consistently is our best defense to comments like these. Until then, they all can, and will, laugh at us.

Im remaining optimistic until reasons not to be appear

i agree with this 100%. there's a big difference between being optimistic and being a homer. there are alot of things for us browns fans to be optimistic about. it's a gradual process, not a quick fix for the browns. it would be great to see all of the browns critics being forced to respect them.

First off I was posting on this message board WELL before the loss last season. I was posting on this board or at least reading this board in early 08 on my other name. I read a bunch before I ever started posting. I'm not here because I'm worried about the Browns nor am I here because I'm worried about the Steelers. Collier a local media writer wrote some "chicken little" esque comments recently and PFT of all places ripped him apart. Despite the string of losses we worked over more than a few top tier teams last year. We also only lost those games and others by a touchdown or less. You are absolutely delusional to believe the Steelers because of some tough losses last year are all of the sudden on the decline. I've also asked several times for reasons backed up with stats to elude to some sort of legitimate "demise" and so far no one has been able to do so. We're returning every defensive starter and brought back a couple of others. Big Ben is suspended but I full expect a 2-2 or 3-1 type scenario where Ben will return after the bye to square off against the Browns. We lost Colon and while the loss is a signifcant one (He was/is a starter) we have more than a few guys that should be able to fill in admirably. Colon after all was good for more than a couple of false start penalties per game. In addition the 4-12 to 10-6 was immediately overshadowed by missing the playoffs and returning to "form" the following season. Every dog has it's day so to speak and the Browns haven't done much to shake that stigma, at least not yet.

Anyway and once again I'm not here because I'm worried about the Browns or the Steelers. I'm not worried much at all if I'm being honest. I've been here for a while, hell possibly as long as you just under different names or I wasn't posting at all. Pittsburgh will be a 10 win or better team this year and everyone on this board will be eating crow.

First off, I never said that because of those losses that the Steelers are on the decline...I only said it was a sign of "concern" for you. If there is a sign ahead that says "Bridge Out" you might want to start applying the brakes. The question is, will the Steelers apply those brakes as you believe, or will they go rushing headlong into the abyss. Prudence says "apply the brakes". In the past, the Steelers have indeed exercised prudence. But there is no absolute guarantee that they will automatically again be prudent. It is certainly your ardent wish that they will. That does not make it a guarantee....no more than the fact that the Browns "returned" to form is a guarantee that they will continue to lose.

My bottom line is that I don't give a "Tinker's Damn" what all those "so called writers" spew....Especially when they're from Baltimore! Who CARES what he prints?

The Browns are my Team & I'll cheer for 'em...good or bad.

Mike

Archived