THE BROWNS BOARD

My "other" passion in pics..

Canton Mike

I particularly enjoy fly fishing for, catching & releasing some big bluegills & redear. Thought I would share some pics...

MikesPics1423.jpg

MikesPics1001.jpg

MikesPics647.jpg

MikesPics654.jpg

MikesPics600.jpg

MikesPics1455.jpg

All 'gills in the pics were immediately & safely released. All the 'gills pictured were at least 10" long..largest was 11 1/4".

Last pic is, of course, the old goat himself (me) fightin' another. I only keep bluegill under 8" for the fryer. Any 8" & larger swim again.

Mike

All 'gills in the pics were immediately & safely released. All the 'gills pictured were at least 10" long..largest was 11 1/4".

Last pic is, of course, the old goat himself (me) fightin' another. I only keep bluegill under 8" for the fryer. Any 8" & larger swim again.

Mike

Hey Mike, why do you keep the smaller fish. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Just curious.

Hey Mike, why do you keep the smaller fish. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Just curious.

Good question. Ten or twelve years or so ago, I DID keep larger 'gills, then I read an article about creating big bluegill fisheries that recommended releasing the large bluegill to improve the "gene pool" & increase average size in a body of water. Since reading that article, I have followed that catch & release philosophy, plus I DO NOT keep bass & WILL NOT even fish a small pond while bass are spawning (they'll hit anything & are in a weakened state, even if released). I may be wrong, but every pond I have fished has seen an increase in average size (usually a significant increase). Besides, a thick 7" to 8" bluegill has a lot of meat when properly cleaned. I fillet & skin them, then freeze them packed in water (no freezer burn) & they'll taste fresh as new after a year or two.

Mike

Archived