THE BROWNS BOARD

Say What??

Charles Bolden

Recent comments made by the NASA administrator have become fodder for conservative bloggers and left some space buffs wondering just what really is NASA's mission.

"When I became the NASA administrator, [President Obama] charged me with three things," Bolden said in an interview with Al-Jazeera. "One, he wanted me to help re-inspire children to want to get into science and math; he wanted me to expand our international relationships; and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math and engineering."

The website NASA Watch reported Bolden's interview comments a few days ago, but they seem to have hit the fan in a larger-scale Monday.

Bryan York of The San Francisco Examiner wrote in response: "From moon landings to promoting self-esteem: It would be difficult to imagine a more dramatic shift in focus for an agency famous for reaching the heavens."

Probably to reach out so that there are less people like this...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/07/05/...dex.html?hpt=C1

The Middle East was a scientific haven for a looooong while. I don't see why reaching out to young Muslims to get them interested in science and less like the people in that link is a problem. Seems like a non-issue to me, plus he was interviewing with al-Jazeera.

The Middle East was a scientific haven for a looooong while. I don't see why reaching out to young Muslims to get them interested in science and less like the people in that link is a problem. Seems like a non-issue to me, plus he was interviewing with al-Jazeera.

The question is whether or not NASA is the body that should be reaching out to anybody for, purely, political reasons.

Among other duties, I thought that was the purview of the Secretary of State and other diplomatic bodies.

The question raised - rightly or wrongly - is whether Obama is an Arab-file and an Israeli-phobe.

The question raised - rightly or wrongly - is whether Obama is an Arab-file and an Israeli-phobe. John

I don't see much reason to not figure that Obamao is antagonistic towards Israel,

and very supportive of Muslim countries.

Like Obama SAID during one of his interviews "...my Muslim faith".

Like, "we don't have to be afraid of Israel attacking us, so hell with them"...

The question is whether or not NASA is the body that should be reaching out to anybody for, purely, political reasons.

They should be reaching out to anyone that they can. There is a shortage of American scientists. If they can recruit any Muslim scientists it's all the better for them. But personally, this just looks like a bullshit pr move to improve how the Islamic world perceives us.

I just find it offensive, that Obamao is spending so much energy to

dramatize his support for Muslims,

and subtlely ? undercutting support for other religions, races, cultures, countries.

Like, immediately taking the side of the BLACK prof in Boston, vs the WHITE policeman.

Like, demanding Israel give up major concessions to the Palestinians, with no mention

of the extreme aggression by Hamas.

Like bowing to Muslim leaders, but snubbing the Israeli leader.

I could add more...

Obamao is a wolf is sheep's clothing. And I think we are in for big, big trouble.

I just find it offensive, that Obamao is spending so much energy to dramatize his support for Muslims, and subtlely ? undercutting support for other religions, races, cultures, countries.

Like, immediately taking the side of the BLACK prof in Boston, vs the WHITE policeman.

That was idiotic on his part, and I won't defend it.

Like, demanding Israel give up major concessions to the Palestinians, with no mention of the extreme aggression by Hamas. Like bowing to Muslim leaders, but snubbing the Israeli leader.

What about 3 billion dollars per year sounds like being snubbed? It's about time we stop riding the Israeli dick. They've done nothing to deserve it.

What the hell did we ever do to these people?

I'm sorry life may not be fair, and that not every muslim owns their own buick and has a chicken in every pot. Just face it, Obama thinks we need to rob from every hard working american and give it away to those who never got a break in his opinion.

I am starting to think that Obama hates that Americans have the opportunity to get ahead and feels that it is not fair to the rest who sit on their ass and do nothing more than look for a handout. They are only victims of their own circumstances.

Archived