THE BROWNS BOARD

Jake Delhomme: The Right Fit at the Right Time for the Cleveland Browns

SJ_Browns

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/416104-...leveland-browns

Jake Delhomme joined the Cleveland Browns in March as the presumed starter going into the 2010 NFL season.

The Browns have been down this path before, signing such veterans as Trent Dilfer and Jeff Garcia during the 11 forgettable years since their return to the league in 1999.

The knock on Delhomme is that his elbow injury in 2007 signaled the end of the road for him as an effective starter, as evidenced by his playoff meltdown in 2008 and his miserable 2009 season.

The Browns, however, are a team in transition, and teams like that need an experienced hand to help steer the ship.

Rather than throw up their hands in frustration over the signing of another has-been veteran, Browns fans can take heart in the arrival of this battle-tested pilot.

Here are some reasons...

1. His arrival signaled the end of the Brady Quinn/Derek Anderson era

This was not only good for the Browns, it was good for Eric Mangini.

Mangini waffled on picking a starting quarterback during training camp a year ago before finally handing the job to Brady Quinn in a backhanded-compliment sort of way. The rest of the season played out in predictable fashion, with neither Quinn nor Derek Anderson providing the answer under center.

In 11 seasons, the “new” Browns have been unable to solidify the quarterback position. Mike Holmgren knew that had to change.

“When your quarterbacks play the way (Quinn and Anderson) played, it’s pretty hard to win games in this league,” Holmgren told ESPN. “I just felt I wasn’t going to be doing my job if I didn’t attack that situation.”

Done. Enter Delhomme, not a moment too soon.

2. He worked his way up in the pro game, from the bottom to the top.

After a standout career at what is now the University of Louisiana at Lafeyette, Delhomme went undrafted and was signed by New Orleans.

A couple of seasons on their practice squad were paired with two seasons in NFL Europe, where he helped Frankfurt win World Bowl VII in 1999.

Three more backup seasons with the Saints led Delhomme to sign with Carolina as the backup to Rodney Peete. He replaced Peete during the 2003 season opener and never looked back, eventually leading the Panthers to the Super Bowl.

Delhomme’s never had a job handed to him. That develops character and humility in a player.

Those qualities make him an excellent fit for the Browns, and a solid point man for the philosophies of both Mangini and Holmgren.

3. He's helped turn around a bad situation before.

The Carolina Panthers were 1-15 in 2001, and 7-9 the following season.

They entered 2003 with high expectations, but were in trouble early as Jacksonville raced out to a 17-0 lead in the third quarter of the season opener.

Out went Rodney Peete, in went Delhomme, and the rest is history. Delhomme led the Panthers to a comeback win.

They won their first five, and eight of their first 10, on the way to an eventual NFC Championship and a trip to the Super Bowl.

If the Browns are to experience any sort of turnaround this season, Delhomme’s experience and perspective will be invaluable to their success.

4. He has a Super Bowl pedigree.

Delhomme capped a spectacular 2003 season by leading the Panthers into Super Bowl XXXVIII, where they stood toe-to-toe with New England and didn’t fall until Adam Vinatieri kicked the winning field goal at game's end.

Delhomme threw for three touchdowns and no interceptions in what stands to this day as one of the best Super Bowls in NFL history.

The Browns had another Super Bowl quarterback at the controls in Trent Dilfer, who passed through town for one forgettable season in 2005. However, despite having won in Super Bowl XXXV, Dilfer largely rode the coattails of Baltimore’s stalwart defense.

Delhomme, meanwhile, matched New England’s Tom Brady in a legendary shootout three years later. The game was in his hands, and for his part he delivered.

There is no substitute for that kind of experience in professional sports. Delhomme has led a huddle, game in and game out, all the way to the title game. He knows what it takes to win in the NFL, and the Browns are counting on him to share that knowledge and experience with his new teammates.

5. He’s experienced the lowest of lows and faced them head-on.

Delhomme suffered an elbow injury in 2007 and opted for Tommy John surgery.

He came back to lead the Panthers to a 12-4 record in 2008, but his storybook ride in Carolina took a peculiar turn in the playoffs when he turned the ball over six times (five on interceptions) in an upset loss to Arizona.

Delhomme made no excuses and accepted responsibility for the Panthers’ demise.

His struggles continued last season, which began with five turnovers against Philadelphia. It was a foretaste of a disastrous campaign in which he threw 18 interceptions and led the Panthers to a 4-7 record before an injury sent him to the sidelines.

Matt Moore came on to lead Carolina to four wins in the Panthers' final five games, and in the process claimed the starting quarterback role.

In less than a year, Delhomme had gone from the toast of Charlotte, armed with a new five-year, $42 million contract, to the odd man out.

Questions about the elbow remain, but Delhomme says he’s fit and ready to go. He’s been at the pinnacle of the sport, and he’s been cut by the team he took there.

That’s usually a recipe for hard work and burning intensity, something the Browns have been lacking too often since their expansion return.

6. He's earned the respect of others.

After the Panthers released Delhomme, Carolina Coach John Fox told the Charlotte Observer, “I’m not sure I’ve had more respect for an NFL football player than Jake Delhomme.”

“The guy, he’s been so spectacular for us,” Panthers’ GM Marty Hurney told the Observer. “He just epitomized everything we want.”

After Delhomme participated in early workouts with the Browns, teammate and perennial All-Pro tackle Joe Thomas told FoxSports Ohio, “He’s a guy who has a great deal of experience in this league. People look up to him and respect him.”

Leadership and character are intangibles. Delhomme possesses both, which gives him instant credibility with coaches and players.

7. He's motivated.

After a disappointing end to his stay in Charlotte, Delhomme is getting a fresh start, and he wants to make the most of it.

After being released by the Panthers, he was viewed as a possible backup by other teams. In Cleveland, he wasn’t guaranteed the job, but it was clear from the moment that he signed that it was his to lose.

That’s what he wanted, and, at this point in his career, it’s what he needed.

It’s a second chance, one that he’ll want to make the most of.

8. The Browns are in a crucial transition period.

Holmgren is changing the culture within the organization. He apparently sensed that Mangini’s goals aligned with his, because he gave the Browns' embattled coach the opportunity to stay and be a part of it.

The quarterback position in Cleveland has been unstable for more than a decade. When Delhomme became available, Holmgren moved quickly to sign him.

“I don’t look at him as an aging veteran,” the Browns president told the Associated Press. “I look at him as the leader I wanted.”

It's a crucial transition period, because Browns fans have been through it before. They're tired of empty promises and hope that never materializes. Since 1999, there has been little to cheer about.

Improvement will take time. Chances are Delhomme will be gone if and when the Browns win another championship. But these transition years will lay the foundation for it, and having a veteran leader who has been there will help set the stage for future success.

Anything more will be an unexpected bonus. If Delhomme can lead by example and inspire his team for even a couple of years, he'll have paid dividends on the Browns' investment and made a difference for years to come.

to think delhomme's recent failures aa a qb is total proof that he will never do well again is incorrect, imo. i think just looking at his 18 ints from last season is simply looking at the surface of the problem. there may be more to this than just what is seen on the surface.

jake was coming off of tommy john surgery and it ususally takes a year to completely heal from that.

out of all of those ints he threw, how many of them were his fault? i remember reading an article that said 11 of those ints were tipped passes. i'm sure some of them were jake's fault and some of them were his receivers fault. how much did his o-line have to do with his failures? were there any other factors on the panther's o that contributed to his failures? i also read that his oc's playcalling was suspect and his qb coach was trying to change his qb mechanics and that might not have been the best move for jake.

i guess i would just like to see what jake can do now that he's here in cleveland. tc is a few weeks away and football season is right around the corner. this is definitely the time of year when we find out if the "experts" and talking heads were right or wrong.

btw, i'm not saying jake will play like he did at the peak of his career. i just think he might have more gas left in his tank than some people think.

I agree that the surgery to his elbow a few years back should no longer be a concern. Many pitchers have had the Tommy John surgery and come back a year or two later better than before...including....Tommy John.

IF Delhomme tanks it will be because of other factors, but probably not because of his injuries.

I think the arm was an issue in 2008... but he had the surgery in 2007, so 2009 shouldn't have been related.

The truth is this: It was a really shitty year and it's tough to put your finger on why he was THAT bad. He's a play-action passer who had one of the best running games in the league. Some blamed Davidson's playcalls, where he was going downfield too often, but it's basically the same offense we run.

Stopgap is a dirty word, so I'll call Delhomme a bridge... between the failed Anderson/Quinn debacle and whatever's next. He's 35, which isn't exactly ancient but it's certainly his final act, either one or two years as a starter.

The truth is that Delhomme has never been a great quarterback. He's been a pretty good one, a guy who puts up QBRs in the low 80s when the best in the league are around 100 over the past five years or so. He's always thrown a lot of picks, always fancied himself a "gunslinger," but he's not a Brett Favre kind of physical talent. Honestly, I've never really thought all that highly of him. In Carolina, he went from folk hero to "weak link" a few years ago. That's how he was talked about.

Still, that said, I have a strange sense of optimism about Delhomme in Cleveland. Again, he knows and understands the offense, the arm looks healthy, he looks fit, and he's certainly motivated to redeem himself at the end of his career. The Browns look to have a really nice stable of young running backs and the best left tackle in football. The final element is pass-catchers, but I think we'll end up better than most people think there.

I don't expect greatness from him (unfortunately) because he's never really been great. But a passer rating in the low 80s would look pretty decent compared to what we've seen recently.

I have never been a fan of Jake's. I feel like he benefitted from two excellent WRs in Smith and Muhammad as well as quite possibly the best backfield in football. But, he is what this team needed after the DA/BQ drama. He's smart, he's a leader, and he's won. He won't throw for 4,000 yards, but I do hope to get a 2/1; TD/INT ratio out of him at the very least. Give me 16 TDs and 8 or less INTS and I'll be really happy with the pick-up.

RUN THE BALL!!!

don't be drinkin the cool-aid yet brownies!

the panthers got rid of him for a reason, and it wasn't because his stellar on-field preformance was driving up his "fair market value".

the panthers got rid of him for a reason, and it wasn't because his stellar on-field preformance was driving up his "fair market value".

This is the hard, cold reality of it. The signing raised a lot of eyebrows.

This is the hard, cold reality of it. The signing raised a lot of eyebrows.

i think most browns fans are just looking at this situation from a broader perspective than the one that most of the national media is putting out there. i haven't seen anyone in this thread avoid jake's struggles in carolina or the fact that he was cut from that team. speaking for myself, i just want to see what he can do here for the browns and judge him on that.

jake pinpointed his mistakes in carolina, that's the first step in the right direction. he also didn't throw anyone under the bus in regards to the panthers failures on offense (even though it wasn't all of his fault). now it's all a matter of correcting his mistakes so he can atleast be a leader/offensive manager for the browns.

jake might not have been an elite qb, but he was a good one. i think the browns just need him to be a good manager of their offense. he's looked healthy and crisp so far slinging the football in mini-camp (i know it's just mini-camp, but you can still notice certain things). now let's see how he looks in training camp and go from there.

The biggest challenge the Browns brass is facing with Delhomme is knowing when to take the foot off the accelerator or push it through the floor. The Browns hierarchy has talked occasionally about "re-molding" Jake into a QB who manages the game. Well, that's WAY easier said than done. Especially with someone like Delhomme who can get hot. And I mean Kelly-Holcomb-in-the-playoffs-in-Pittsburgh hot.

And there's the rub. We have a very good running game that's on the verge of being great. But if Jake starts to manage the game well, do the Browns allow him more freedom and the opportunity to go off on opposing secondaries or not?

I think that will be something interesting to look for as the season unfolds because you have a head coach who loves stuffing it down people's throats and the all-seeing, all-knowing president who loves stuffing it over the top of people's heads.

So, if Jake starts out really hot, that will be a great "problem" for Daboll to figure out with Mangini and Holmgren tugging on either arm. It'll be like two devils on either shoulder: "Run it!" -- "No, throw it!"

I know Holmgren has said he is NOT coaching the team, but I for one, would love to be a fly on the wall in the president's luxury box when Daboll calls for that 3rd and 7 draw play for the first time. Think Mr. Holmgren might have a random headset in the box that just might be tuned in to the OC's headset? I'm just sayin'.

Hello, McFly. Is anybody home?

What is it about those words used here: "Stopgap" "bridge" that you don't understand.

No one is expecting him to be the reincarnation of George Blanda.

However, now that his name comes up....Blanda played another 13 years after he reached age 35.

I liked most of your post NW , but fail to understand why you doubt Mangini's ability in recognizing when something is working . I think that if Jake is tearing it up through the air , Mangini will capitalize on the moment . He is not averse to winning . jmho

The biggest challenge the Browns brass is facing with Delhomme is knowing when to take the foot off the accelerator or push it through the floor. The Browns hierarchy has talked occasionally about "re-molding" Jake into a QB who manages the game. Well, that's WAY easier said than done. Especially with someone like Delhomme who can get hot. And I mean Kelly-Holcomb-in-the-playoffs-in-Pittsburgh hot.

And there's the rub. We have a very good running game that's on the verge of being great. But if Jake starts to manage the game well, do the Browns allow him more freedom and the opportunity to go off on opposing secondaries or not?

I think that will be something interesting to look for as the season unfolds because you have a head coach who loves stuffing it down people's throats and the all-seeing, all-knowing president who loves stuffing it over the top of people's heads.

So, if Jake starts out really hot, that will be a great "problem" for Daboll to figure out with Mangini and Holmgren tugging on either arm. It'll be like two devils on either shoulder: "Run it!" -- "No, throw it!"

I know Holmgren has said he is NOT coaching the team, but I for one, would love to be a fly on the wall in the president's luxury box when Daboll calls for that 3rd and 7 draw play for the first time. Think Mr. Holmgren might have a random headset in the box that just might be tuned in to the OC's headset? I'm just sayin'.

Great post. Thing about Delhomme is he doesn't stay hot for long, proven out by a TD/INT ratio and a completion percentage that lags well behind the top quarterbacks. He's streaky. I'd be inclined to ask him to play like a mature, veteran quarterback in an offense being influenced by the WCO, at least a little. The standard for completions is getting to be 65, not 60, and 2/1 TD/INT ratios are no longer super awesome... just par for the course among winning teams.

The QBR is becoming as closely related to team success as any stat in football. But passing YARDAGE, once seen as something piled up by teams scrambling to catch up, is now a great barometer, too. Go check out the leaders in passing yardage last season and notice how they're almost all of the top teams.

Archived