THE BROWNS BOARD

Art Modell: Cleveland Fans will carry on post James

DieHardBrownsFan

CLEVELAND (AP)—LeBron James’(notes) decision to abandon Cleveland is drawing comparisons to Art Modell. But the man who moved the Browns to Baltimore in 1995 says the situations are different.

Modell tells Cleveland radio station WTAM that “you can’t equate the two.” He also says he feels sympathy for the Cavaliers and owner Dan Gilbert, who will have to get by without their star.

In another interview, with The Morning Journal of Lorain in northern Ohio, the 85-year-old Modell said if there is a title of “most hated man in Cleveland,” he expects to hold on to it and not lose it to James. He says Cavaliers fans will carry on.

Modell says he wishes both Cleveland and James well.

CLEVELAND (AP)—LeBron James’(notes) decision to abandon Cleveland is drawing comparisons to Art Modell. But the man who moved the Browns to Baltimore in 1995 says the situations are different.

Modell tells Cleveland radio station WTAM that “you can’t equate the two.” He also says he feels sympathy for the Cavaliers and owner Dan Gilbert, who will have to get by without their star.

In another interview, with The Morning Journal of Lorain in northern Ohio, the 85-year-old Modell said if there is a title of “most hated man in Cleveland,” he expects to hold on to it and not lose it to James. He says Cavaliers fans will carry on.

I guess Modell also mentioned in the interview (and I missed it) that if Lebron leaves that Cleveland should get over it! My hatred for him has been slightly renewed!

As I said yesterday you can equate the two and I come down on the side that says what LeBron did was worse then what Modell did. I have listed the reasons and I stand by them. Both very bad but LeBron was worse. I am glad Dan Gilbert had something to say about LeBron but I don't know how in the hell he expects to deliver on his gaurantee. For me LeBron is definately more hated and always will be! Well actually not hated because after a day or two I won't waste my energy on it. But I certainly will be happy if he never ever gets a ring. And certainly not one down in Miami.

As I said yesterday you can equate the two and I come down on the side that says what LeBron did was worse then what Modell did. I have listed the reasons and I stand by them. Both very bad but LeBron was worse. I am glad Dan Gilbert had something to say about LeBron but I don't know how in the hell he expects to deliver on his gaurantee. For me LeBron is definately more hated and always will be! Well actually not hated because after a day or two I won't waste my energy on it. But I certainly will be happy if he never ever gets a ring. And certainly not one down in Miami.

I agree with your assessment. For years I could not forgive Modell for what he did. Over time my anger has passed. Modell was in a financial pickle and needed that 50 million and sweetheart deal to get out of the mess. In a sense he was forced to abandon Cleveland for many reasons mostly his own fault.

LeBron leaving is just a kick in the balls of your roots and the city that depended on and adored him. I like the fact that Gilbert came out swinging although he may have overdone it but this is exactly the attitude the city and all Cleveland Sports needs........CAN DO.

Going back to Art, I forgive him, time to get over that hate, he gave the Browns all he had during his time here.

I will never forgive LeBron but do appreciate all he did for seven years. Now fug him.

For the life of me I don't know why anyone would want to ask Art Modell's opinion on anything.

And, for what its worth, while I am not happy with James' decision, I in no way equate it with what Modell did.

Other players that have played for the Cavs, Indians, Browns have been free agents and have left, and we have said Sayonara to them. Of course, none of those were as good as LeBron, or were homeboys like LeBron, or gave lip service to their loyalty to this area that LeBron did (and yes, it was lip service only), but they still were essentially the same. LeBron didn't move the whole team the way Modell threatened to...so no, I don't equate the two.

That still don't make me happy.

For the life of me I don't know why anyone would want to ask Art Modell's opinion on anything.

And, for what its worth, while I am not happy with James' decision, I in no way equate it with what Modell did.

Other players that have played for the Cavs, Indians, Browns have been free agents and have left, and we have said Sayonara to them. Of course, none of those were as good as LeBron, or were homeboys like LeBron, or gave lip service to their loyalty to this area that LeBron did (and yes, it was lip service only), but they still were essentially the same. LeBron didn't move the whole team the way Modell threatened to...so no, I don't equate the two.

That still don't make me happy.

Yeah I was curious about why our media reached out to Modell to get his thoughts.

CLEVELAND (AP)

LeBron James' decision to abandon Cleveland is drawing comparisons to Art Modell. But the man who moved the Browns to Baltimore in 1995 says the situations are different.

Modell tells Cleveland radio station WTAM that ''you can't equate the two.'' He also says he feels sympathy for the Cavaliers and owner Dan Gilbert, who will have to get by without their star.

In another interview, with The Morning Journal of Lorain in northern Ohio, the 85-year-old Modell said if there is a title of ''most hated man in Cleveland,'' he expects to hold on to it and not lose it to James. He says Cavaliers fans will carry on.

For once in my life I agree 100% with Art. Tell it like it is Art!!!!!!!!!!!

The interesting thing here is I don't think Art wants Cleveland to hate him but knows full well we do and we always will even in death. Lebron frankly does not give a shit whether or not Cleveland hates him. I do think James cares what Akron thinks about him, which leads me to this picture...

gfdzo.jpg

No, I don't think this is real but it is still funny.

On the signs in Akron, just know that the Mayor of Akron came out with some namby pamby politically correct statement. Here it is:

http://www.wkyc.com/news/regional/akron_ar...307&catid=6

(Just be aware of this: LeBron moved out of Akron proper as soon as he got a few bucks, even making the statement "there aren't any nice houses in Akron". There are a lot of nice houses in Akron, but probably not any that would have suited him because they weren't brand new. He had to build his own new house out in Bath.

Archived